PDA

View Full Version : Haley's New Hairstyle

shakes019
2008-11-30, 12:29 PM
Is it a deliberate throwback to this?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0319.html

Szilard
2008-11-30, 12:34 PM
Third to last panel. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0608.html)

Faceist
2008-11-30, 12:53 PM
I thought it was an ironic echo back to that first strip. Having a hairstyle which was (at the time) cute and quirky, belonging to a throaway character more concerned with jokes then drama, being forced upon Haley in a very dramatic, life threatening situation.

T-O-E
2008-11-30, 01:01 PM
Lots of people made the connection. Check the 610 discussion thread.

Latch
2008-11-30, 07:19 PM
Perhaps Crystal's haircut was originally designed with this throwback in mind!?:smalleek:

You can't put it past Rich to do that sort of thing...:smallamused:

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 07:48 PM
Hmmmm, will Haley get together with Crystal? :smalltongue:

Rhuna_Coppermane
2008-11-30, 10:32 PM
I think the real question is: how soon will it grow back?

Ron Miel
2008-11-30, 11:42 PM
Can a healing spell restore a damaged hairstyle?

Tredrick
2008-12-01, 12:45 AM
Can a healing spell restore a damaged hairstyle?

I believe there has been a cantrip for hair growth.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-01, 01:44 AM
Can a healing spell restore a damaged hairstyle?Depends on interpretation. Make Whole (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/makeWhole.htm) or Regenerate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/regenerate.htm) might work, depending on what you classify a Ponytail as. Limited Wish works, too, but that's a whole can of worms you really don't want to go into. I'm sure there's splatbook spells to do this, but I'm lazy.

Linkavitch
2008-12-01, 01:44 PM
Maybe. . .it doesn't mean anything? Like Haley's Latent Bisexuality?

Nof
2008-12-01, 03:33 PM
Maybe. . .it doesn't mean anything? Like Haley's Latent Bisexuality?
An haircut doesn't necessary have a meaning, especially when it's not chosen by the one that wears it. Even if you speak about a meaning chosen by the author of the webcomic and not by the character, I want to point out that a short hairstyle isn't characteristic of a lesbian or bisexual people: all girl loving girls doesn't wear it (lot of them, in fact, are really feminine and doesn't look at all like the butcher cliche) and all the ones wearing it don't love girls, but just think it's the way that looks the better on them (it's also more practical). I tried it when I was younger but with my body type it was just ugly, and it wasn't linked to any sexually meaning (and nobody seemed to assume it was).

Tyrmatt
2008-12-01, 05:16 PM
This is what Rich meant by the battle to get Roy resurrected costing someone dearly. And take this from someone who watched way too much Ranma 1/2 back in the day :p

B.I.T.T.
2008-12-01, 05:27 PM
I don't necessarily think it's a throw back or a reference to anything, myself. I think that...

...it's a way of allowing Belkar time to wade through the thieves guild in enough time to save Haley. If Crystal didn't perform her barber-ic then Belkar wouldn't have the time to wake up, kick rougeish butt, and play hero to girls.

Plus, I've noticed that sometimes comic strip writer/artists will sometimes change a character's appearance (like with Elan's new clothes) perhaps because they kinda get board doing them the same exact way every time.

What I find interesting is the slight hesitation Crystal has when Bozo tells her to get on with it.

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-04, 01:12 PM
Probably Crystal is reluctant to give up all the free XP she was getting from Haley's adventuring. What with being her rival, and all.

Also, Haley's Latent Bisexuality wasn't the one with the short hair. She had hair like Haley normally has.

AceOfFools
2008-12-06, 02:59 AM
If it does stick around, it's going to feel weird looking at it for a long time.

Optimystik
2008-12-06, 01:31 PM
I like it and hope it doesn't grow back. Archer with a ponytail is such a heavily-used trope (amazons from Diablo, Birgitte from WoT, Brigid Kinsbaile from M:TG etc.)

Grognard
2008-12-06, 01:36 PM
It looks muy horrible!

Zeta Kai
2008-12-06, 01:39 PM
Either way, she's gonna go ballistic when she wakes up.

David Argall
2008-12-06, 04:03 PM
It will likely be up to Elan whether she keeps it

Max_Sinister
2008-12-11, 07:40 AM
It'll take some time until Haley and Elan meet again.

And as said before, I prefer the old style. Can't imagine that Haley keeps it longer than necessary.

Prowl
2008-12-11, 07:48 AM

Or will it?

Dun Dun DUN!!!!!

Avilan the Grey
2008-12-11, 08:06 AM

I hope Haley is independent enough to not rely entirely on Elan's preferences for female hair.

brionl
2008-12-12, 01:31 AM
So, will Elan's first words be "Wow, did you do that to your hair on purpose?"

NikkTheTrick
2008-12-12, 02:03 AM
Hmmmm, will Haley get together with Crystal? :smalltongue:

She already did in the House of Horrors :smallamused:

Optimystik
2008-12-12, 10:19 AM
I hope Haley is independent enough to not rely entirely on Elan's preferences for female hair.

His approval is important to her - independence has a lot less to do with it than hormones.

Linkavitch
2008-12-12, 10:40 AM
An haircut doesn't necessary have a meaning, especially when it's not chosen by the one that wears it. Even if you speak about a meaning chosen by the author of the webcomic and not by the character, I want to point out that a short hairstyle isn't characteristic of a lesbian or bisexual people: all girl loving girls doesn't wear it (lot of them, in fact, are really feminine and doesn't look at all like the butcher cliche) and all the ones wearing it don't love girls, but just think it's the way that looks the better on them (it's also more practical). I tried it when I was younger but with my body type it was just ugly, and it wasn't linked to any sexually meaning (and nobody seemed to assume it was).

I was being sarcastic. I wasn't trying to make any sort of sexist comment. I was pointing out that all of these people are thinking about how this could be a big deal, when it's not. It's just a joke Rich made. Like Haley's Latent Bisexuality.

Vaarsuvius4181
2008-12-12, 09:38 PM
if they can change it from night to day by words, maybe they can change hair?