PDA

View Full Version : To warp a warforged

Admiral Squish
2008-11-30, 03:57 PM
Hello, all! I have recently recruited a new player for one of my games, and he wants to play a warforged. The trouble is, the game is based in eberron, and the player's main foe is the Daelkyr and their minions, and the theme is the characters are all mutating bit by bit. I do this by granting them grafts as the game progresses. Grafts don't work so well with warforged, so I'm trying to think what I can do to compensate him and still keep the feel going. If I just don't give him anything, then the others will outstrip him in power, and the enemies aren't likely to be carrying warforged items. So, how do I keep him in the proverbial loop?

Bayar
2008-11-30, 04:00 PM
Updated components.

Give him some new eyes, a shoulder cannon, jetpack, minifridge in his torso...the usual stuff.

Yukitsu
2008-11-30, 04:01 PM
There are rules for physical and mental taint in IIRC heroes of horror. Since they aren't immune to mind effecting, simply rule that the strange changes in his companions are driving him to insanity.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-30, 04:07 PM
You could have his mechanical components turning creepily, disturbingly organic. Mechanics-wise, maybe the Abberant feats from Lords of Madness with the humanoid type requirement stripped away?

Or he could develop a portal to the Astral Plane in his chest, that works too.

Scribble
2008-11-30, 04:15 PM
Fiend Folio and Faiths of Ebberon both have Construct Grafts in them if I recall correctly.

Admiral Squish
2008-11-30, 04:32 PM
The problem with construct grafts is he's already a construct, so they wouldn't really help him much...

Mental taint, ehh... I'm looking for boons, rather than curses. Plus, I don't have HoH, so it's not all that easy for me to find out more info.

The components thing is interesting, but why would he be growing them? He's a construct. They don't grow anything, and I'm not even sure he'd be affected by the mutating magics of the Daelkyr. Though, I might just end up using the 'warforged features' I homebrewed a while ago.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-30, 04:38 PM
Because it's magic. The Daelkyr are weird buggers, who knows what they're capable of? The fact that he is changing physically when warforged are supposed to be static and immutable just adds to the creep-out factor.

Scribble
2008-11-30, 04:40 PM
A Warforged Juggernaut grows spikes.

Winged One
2008-11-30, 04:48 PM
Those warforged features look like good ways for a warforged to mutate. I don't know how they compare to what you've been giving the others, though. Maybe you could also have some components start growing in the mini-fridge extra-dimensional space feature.

Yukitsu
2008-11-30, 04:52 PM
The problem with construct grafts is he's already a construct, so they wouldn't really help him much...

Mental taint, ehh... I'm looking for boons, rather than curses. Plus, I don't have HoH, so it's not all that easy for me to find out more info.

Mental taint can also be positive. Dream sears in the setting could be influenced by the Delkyr. Giving the warforged visions would be appropriate, as well as other madness granted abilities.

Scribble
2008-11-30, 05:01 PM
Wait... if I'm playing a warforged... can I embed a bag of holding in my chest as a component?

1of3
2008-11-30, 05:20 PM
Sure.

Make sure to change the name to "Bender".

Zenos
2008-11-30, 05:24 PM
And give yourself a flaw that makes you require alchohol to function.

Jayngfet
2008-11-30, 05:28 PM
Make him get smaller and have a leather coating. He looks like he's slowly turning human but he's just changing appearance and a few minor stats.

Deth Muncher
2008-11-30, 05:54 PM
Alternatively, you could give him some of the badarse Warforged Components of Awesomeness, like the embedded X-Bow in the arm that gives you some amount of arrows per day, with additional arrows at the cost of 1HP per arrow. Also, you know, having the ability to spontaneously shift between regular arm and, say, the Bastard Sword attatchment. My warfoged in a MTG campaign has that, from the new set Shards of Alara: specifically, the crazy metallurgy that happens on Esper.

PsyBlade
2008-11-30, 06:12 PM
Have his parts warp. Claim that in their warped state they are so close to Warforged components that magically repairing him causes the new components to appear. His old components/parts are so much a part of him, that he retains their function, they get repaired alongside his new features.