2008-11-30, 04:26 PM
I think this might be illegal...

DrakebloodIV
2008-11-30, 04:27 PM
I think this might be illegal...

I hope not.

Mr Pants
2008-11-30, 04:29 PM
Posting pdfs? Yep. Hell, the existence of these pdfs is probably illegal.

Jayngfet
2008-11-30, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I'm fairly shure it's illegal, except for certain books. Which is what d20srd if for.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-30, 04:30 PM
If those are your PDF's, they're illegal - you shouldn't be letting people know they're out there.

If they're not your PDFs...they're still illegal. See above option.

DrakebloodIV
2008-11-30, 04:32 PM
Well technically I didn't create the PDF's and the fact that all of the writers are cited as the writers of each of their books. Also, this site has been up for a few years so I think if the Wizards who happen to live on the Coast were doing something... theyd have done it already

Mr Pants
2008-11-30, 04:38 PM
The thing is WotC is losing money because of this. If it weren't for PDFs, people would be buying these books instead of going to a website. That's why it's illegal, because it's essentially theft, followed by sharing.

DrakebloodIV
2008-11-30, 04:40 PM
The thing is WotC is losing money because of this. If it weren't for PDFs, people would be buying these books instead of going to a website. That's why it's illegal, because it's essentially theft, followed by sharing.

Technically they aren't because most (if not all) 3.5 books are out of print (as far as I know) so the only people losing money are the people on Ebay who are auctioning off old books.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-30, 04:43 PM
It's still violating the GITP terms of use, I think. The existence of those PDFs does violate Wizards copyright, unless the site is owned by Wizards itself.

Specifically, this passage:

Posting Copyrighted Content
Posting any copyrighted material without permission is against the rules. Posts containing such content will be edited to remove that content. In particular, posts containing copyrighted material from game books that are not designated Open Gaming Content (OGC) will be edited to remove the copyrighted portions. As an example, mentioning a specific rule item or general mechanic, or explaining in general how it functions, does not violate this rule. However, posting an entire stat block for a monster would. OGC is published under the Open Gaming License. OGC may be reproduced in full, as per the terms of that license. Please keep in mind that material under the d20 License may not be OGC. When in doubt, refer to the primary source to see if there is a copy of the OGL included. Note that any content in the System Resource Document (SRD) can be reproduced as well.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-11-30, 04:44 PM
Technically they aren't because most (if not all) 3.5 books are out of print (as far as I know) so the only people losing money are the people on Ebay who are auctioning off old books.

Which makes no difference with respect to the legal issues and the Forum Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1).

I suggest you cease and desist.

DrakebloodIV
2008-11-30, 04:48 PM
How would I go about deleting this thread? Or could a Mod do that for me?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-11-30, 04:50 PM
A Mod will be along shortly to edit your initial post and close this thread.

You can help by editing out the content in violation from your original post.

Yukitsu
Just edit the thread, cut the links and hope the feds don't go after ya. :smallwink:

DrakebloodIV
You can help by editing out the content in violation from your original post.

Already done

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-11-30, 04:52 PM
Already done

:smallsmile:

DrakebloodIV
2008-11-30, 04:52 PM
Just edit the thread, cut the links and hope the feds don't go after ya. :smallwink:

I hope they don't I'll get deported :smalleek:

The Glyphstone
2008-11-30, 04:56 PM
Move along, citizens. Nothing to see here. Any impression you may have recieved of the appearance of links to illegally uploaded PDFs was actually the light of Venus reflecting off a patch of swamp gas...

*neuralyze*

Roland St. Jude
2008-11-30, 05:41 PM
S: Thread locked.