PDA

View Full Version : Online tabletop vs pen & paper

weenie
2008-11-30, 04:28 PM
If you had to choose between playing a campaign using an online tabletop program, or rolling dice round a table, what would you rather do, and why? And what circumstances would make you reconsider?

Darkshade
2008-11-30, 05:21 PM
wow that is a question i have been asking myself for the last few days as a friend is offering to run an online tabletop game, and i was hoping for a paper and dice gathering of friends sort of game and may have to run it myself so that it happens.

for me its probably that ive had only bad experiences with online tabletop and mostly good ones with paper and dice. My friends are pushing for the online tabletop though so ii'll end up doing it, but I don't know i'm still trying to get a paper and dice game going too.

if i had to choose i would choose paper and dice, probably becuase it what i was raised on and feel more comfortable with, and its a good chance to not be cooped up in a room on a computer for a few hours a week. Although I must say I could probably be talked into changing my mind if the person running only wants to do online tabletop and the campaign is interesting enough.

Dr. Killjoy
2008-11-30, 06:13 PM
Depends. Is it "Playing on a tabletop with friends" vs. "Playing online with strangers" or "Playing on a tabletop with friends" vs. "Playing online with friends"? In either case, I'd probably lean toward tabletop. I prefer face-to-face communication, plus playing on a tabletop means you get to pass snacks around =P

Raum
2008-11-30, 06:59 PM
If you had to choose between playing a campaign using an online tabletop program, or rolling dice round a table, what would you rather do, and why? And what circumstances would make you reconsider?All else being equal I'd play in person. It's never that simple though. Online is less time consuming (no travel time), doesn't interfere with the rest of the household, and surmounts distance barriers.

ClericofPhwarrr
2008-11-30, 07:43 PM
I'd sooner play face to face with friends. I'd sooner GM online. Maptool+Skype means OOC chatter can flow, while I can type out accents, and show players any game-related pic from my gigantic folder of them nearly instantly. I also have a moment to think about my response while I'm typing, which I really enjoy.

elliott20
2008-11-30, 10:42 PM
I always prefer f2f games. having said that, logistics can be a pain when all of your players have 9 to 5 jobs, families and other responsibilities that prevent regular attendance.

in those particular cases, online games are an okay substitute.

valadil
2008-11-30, 11:23 PM
I spend too much time by the computer without playing D&D online. I like having an excuse to get off the machine for a while.

I played online for a campaign that didn't last too long. I liked that the GM could copy/paste prewritten text blocks, all of game was logged, and you could have private conversations with the GM or other players without anyone else noticing. It was a good time while it lasted, though I think I'd rather play a face to face game where everyone had a laptop for secret chat purposes.

SoD
2008-11-30, 11:30 PM
My preference is face to face, by far. That being said, for me, there's not much opportunity to do it with a variety of people...I just prefur face to face. There's room for more interaction.

I see the advantages to online tabletop, being able to do it with people around the globe, etc. I would happily consider joining an online tabletop game, but where possible, face to face is my way.

Nohwl
2008-11-30, 11:36 PM
i would rather play pen and paper, but online seems more convinient if theres a problem finding a good time to hold a session.