PDA

View Full Version : Monk races and other classes (3.5

ipt
2008-11-30, 05:59 PM
I was thinking of being a Githzerai monk with a EL of 2 but decided against it. I was thinkin of being a half-orc with two levels of barbarian before starting with being a monk.It gives me a better attack bonus and greatly increased hp. the strength will help me counteract the unarmed damage reduction I would take and the Barbarian's fast movement willcounteract the increased speed. the other members of my party are a cleric, a rogue and a wizard (pretty basic, but the rogue has a LA of 1(not sure what race he is))
Will this be a good idea or not?

Crow
2008-11-30, 06:04 PM
If it's fun, then it's a good idea.

To be honest, Monk is a bad idea in most cases. =) Anyhow, Half-Orc isn't a terrible choice for a monk. I wouldn't bother too mch with the second level of barbarian if you don't mind dipping, but your alignment (by RAW) will need to make a drastic change over the course of your first adventure or you will be unable to take any levels of monk.

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-30, 06:10 PM
I was thinkin of being a half-orc with two levels of barbarian before starting with being a monk.It gives me a better attack bonus and greatly increased hp. the strength will help me counteract the unarmed damage reduction I would take and the Barbarian's fast movement willcounteract the increased speed. the other members of my party are a cleric, a rogue and a wizard (pretty basic, but the rogue has a LA of 1(not sure what race he is))
Will this be a good idea or not?
Start off with Barb: Good

Replace other monk levels with barb: Gooder

Yukitsu
2008-11-30, 06:21 PM
Or unarmed swordsage.

ipt
2008-11-30, 06:29 PM
Or unarmed swordsage.

We aren't allowed to use it as it is overpowerful we also can't use any classes from the book of nine swords. I am thinking of getting one lvl of barbarian for the health and one of fighter for the feats(what does RAW mean?

Mushroom Ninja
2008-11-30, 06:30 PM
We aren't allowed to use it as it is overpowerful we also can't use any classes from the book of nine swords

Compared to what? Monks, yes. Druids, Clerics and Wizards, no.

ipt
2008-11-30, 06:35 PM
Compared to what? Monks, yes. Druids, Clerics and Wizards, no.

Druids suck as well. Our wizards and clerics die enough for poor health that it evens out

Yukitsu
2008-11-30, 06:37 PM
*facepalm*

In that case, play whichever class you like in whichever manner. You'll likely have the most fun doing it that way, as opposed to asking too much about mechanics of the game.

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-30, 06:43 PM
Druids suck as well. Our wizards and clerics die enough for poor health that it evens out

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your group isn't composed of optimizers.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-11-30, 08:07 PM

I never thought that I would see the words "druid" and "suck" in the same sentence without a "do not at all" between them. Well, there's a first for everything...

Crow
2008-11-30, 08:19 PM
Give them a break. Most groups never run into the problems that people on internet message boards say are unavoidable and utterly ruin the game. Just because the internet has ruined the game for us doesn't mean we have to spread that misery.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-11-30, 08:20 PM
Give them a break. Most groups never run into the problems that people on internet message boards say are unavoidable and utterly ruin the game. Just because the internet has ruined the game for us doesn't mean we have to spread that misery.

Forgive me if I sounded rude back there. It was unintentional.

Eldariel
2008-11-30, 08:20 PM

Let's see: Druid with 18 Wisdom and 16 Constitution (8 Int and 3 in all other stats for all they care) can have a Riding Dog/Fleshraker/Brown Bear/whatever companion build for tripping+Power Attack+extremely potent poison+whatever that's fully capable of trouncing your party's fighter and gets all his weapons enhanced for free by Druid's Greater Magic Fang.

Then the animal companion also gets Barding Armor and judicious castings of Barkskin and their AC goes through the roof. Then Druid Wildshapes into whatever animal listed (he has other forms available for scouting, moving through different obstacles, etc. but mostly he'll spend time in combat form) that he can use for 12 hours on level 6 (lasts hour/level, two uses), casts the same buff spells on himself, wears Monk's Belt with Wilding Clasps and has AC near 30 on level 6.

There, now you've got two extremely mobile and heavy-hitting melee types all day. Then one of them also has spellcasting thanks to Natural Spell - stuff like Entangle, Soften Earth, Wind Wall and company are completely capable of trivializing encounters on their own rights. Add to that potent damage spells that you can use in a flying form, for example, such as Call Lightning, Flaming Sphere, etc. and you've got a versatile killing machine. Oh yeah, and that's not all, you can also spontaneously convert all your spells into SUMMONS, which in turn can get just about any creature in the game. Need healing? No problem, summon an Unicorn spontaneously! Need to disrupt flyers?

Get a Whirlwind-capable Air Elemental. Need beatdown? Get a bunch of Dire Wolves and cast Animal Growth on them, etc. Not only are Druids very powerful casters, they're also very powerful melee'ers and one of their class features is a second very powerful melee'er. If anything, Druid is the best class in the game for majority of the levels before 20 (as you get closer to 20, Cleric and Wizard pull ahead).

Keld Denar
2008-11-30, 08:21 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your group isn't composed of optimizers.

Reading this post very fast I thought I saw this

You could lose a limb here saying that around a group of optimizers.

I mean, some posters are a little harsh around here, but DISMEMBERMENT? lol!

Glad I went back and reread it more slowly.

BTW, OP, its generally though around here that if played a certain way, wizards, clerics, and druids are among the most powerful classes in the game, especially in a core-only game, although their power does increase nearly exponentially with the addition of a few other source books, namedly the Spell Compendium (shortened to SpC in reference).

And RAW means Rules as Written, or the most direct application of the rules. Contrast to that is often cited RAI, or Rules as Intended, which is what people make up because they don't like the way a rule works and feel it should be different. The glory of D&D is houserules, but on the forums most people try to stick as close to RAW as possible, because different DMs have different houserules which may drastically alter advice given. Do you have any house rules we should be aware of before trying to help you?

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-30, 09:16 PM
Reading this post very fast I thought I saw this

I mean, some posters are a little harsh around here, but DISMEMBERMENT? lol!

Fear not, for Solo isn't around anymore to threaten people with stabbity doom.

Keld Denar
2008-11-30, 09:37 PM
Fear not, for Solo isn't around anymore to threaten people with stabbity doom.

Eh? I might have missed something, but what happened to Solo? Did he get banned? Or just quit posting?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-30, 09:44 PM
Eh? I might have missed something, but what happened to Solo? Did he get banned? Or just quit posting?I think saying this much is legal, but the forum rules say no discussing banned posters, so if this isn't allowed, delete it. Solo was banned along with quite a few others due to a combination of the 4.0 flamewars and the Monk guide, IIRC.