PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my game to work better?

Bulwer
2008-11-30, 06:13 PM
My first session as a DM with a new party was not a disaster, but it wasn't exactly a success either. I've got a group of 6 people, and 3 of them do all the talking. Only one of them is acting committed to their character, and none of them (this is the biggest issue) care much about the plot and setting. I need to get them to want to investigate what's going on in the plot, and to work together. IC, the characters are not just some guys that met in a bar, but they act like they are, regularly splitting apart and acting on their own.

I plan to start off session 2 with something less combat-heavy, a dramatic encounter with what might turn out to be either the BBEG or their boss, but I'm worried that the ones who seemed happy just rolling dice last time will be put out, even as the others get into it.

In addition, 2 of my 6 are habitual DMs, both more experienced than I, and one of them confronted me at the table about a scene last game (he was right about the rules, but still), and it negatively affected the last part of the game. He's my best player, though, independent of that one incident.

I'm really at a loss as to how to get the game back on track. I don't want to railroad, because there are choices that I'd like the players to make, but I don't want to set up a scene and have it fall apart. Any advice?

[Hey, my players who may read forums. Yeah, it's you guys. Don't worry, rocks aren't going to start falling any time soon; and if they do, you'll get reflex saves.]

Samurai Jill
2008-11-30, 06:20 PM
If you want players to care about the plot and setting, enlist their involvement in shaping those from the start. It's hard to care about something you have no control over.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-30, 07:41 PM
On Plot
Another way to make players care about the plot is to make it personal to them. Include a colorful NPC antagonist who taunts or is otherwise a jerk to the PCs. Do this in non-combat settings, or have him work behind the scenes. He doesn't have to be the BBEG, but he should be tied to the plot somehow.

Players can get really wrapped up in taking down a NPC they hate. This will require you to provide some color, but it's a good way to tie the players into a plot that otherwise has no bearing on their characters.

On Player Interest in Characters
It's tough to get players interested in their characters if they weren't interested when they made them. The only way I've made this work is by including lots of RP interactions with the bored players. By interacting with innkeepers, barmaids, merchants, and beggars, even the most detached player will start providing a personality for their character. And once you get personality, you start getting invested.

As for the characters splitting up all the time, it might be helpful to make going off on your own dangerous. Maybe they get jumped by muggers, or harassed by minions of the BBEG, or even attacked by wolves. This is a kind of railroading, to be sure, but if you have established the setting as dangerous already, it can be legitimate.

Bulwer
2008-11-30, 07:44 PM
On Plot
Another way to make players care about the plot is to make it personal to them. Include a colorful NPC antagonist who taunts or is otherwise a jerk to the PCs. Do this in non-combat settings, or have him work behind the scenes. He doesn't have to be the BBEG, but he should be tied to the plot somehow.

Players can get really wrapped up in taking down a NPC they hate. This will require you to provide some color, but it's a good way to tie the players into a plot that otherwise has no bearing on their characters.

On Player Interest in Characters
It's tough to get players interested in their characters if they weren't interested when they made them. The only way I've made this work is by including lots of RP interactions with the bored players. By interacting with innkeepers, barmaids, merchants, and beggars, even the most detached player will start providing a personality for their character. And once you get personality, you start getting invested.

As for the characters splitting up all the time, it might be helpful to make going off on your own dangerous. Maybe they get jumped by muggers, or harassed by minions of the BBEG, or even attacked by wolves. This is a kind of railroading, to be sure, but if you have established the setting as dangerous already, it can be legitimate.

Thanks! The last session was a little too combat-heavy, and I think you're right, that adding more little interactions is the way to go on that issue. Flavorful villains are also certainly upcoming.

Darkshade
2008-11-30, 07:47 PM
sometimes characters going off on their own can be a good thing though, if they are taking the initiative to generate interests for their character, as long as they are going off to do something that the character wants to do you may want to encourage them to find their own motivations, and then find a way to tie their personal motivations into the main story to get them interested in that as well

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-30, 07:47 PM
Thanks! The last session was a little too combat-heavy, and I think you're right, that adding more little interactions is the way to go on that issue. Flavorful villains are also certainly upcoming.

A note of caution: when adding flavorful villains, make sure that they're interesting to the players. All too often I find myself writing elaborate backstories for NPCs with plans for quirks and traits, and then when the PCs run into him, they just breeze on by. They don't get to read your NPC's backstory, and if he doesn't catch their attention, they'll probably not even notice his quirks.

Darkshade
2008-11-30, 08:02 PM
the best recurring villain i've ever had to deal with as a PC was an evil wizard named dimson or something like that, we all called him dimnuts and he was quite memorable especially the way that in the end he always escaped. The last time we fought him we had him cornered and we were finally gonna get to make him pay! and then our mage cast prismatic spray and accidentally sent him to another plane.

sigh

Raum
2008-11-30, 08:17 PM
Only one of them is acting committed to their character, and none of them (this is the biggest issue) care much about the plot and setting. I need to get them to want to investigate what's going on in the plot, and to work together. A suggestion, don't have just one thing going on at a time. Several plots, some related others not, give you a wider range of potential actions and give the players a wider range of choice. They can follow up on what they find interesting and you can have an antagonist from another plot make a move when the first bogs down a bit. It also keeps the players guessing as they try and figure out what's going on. :)

IC, the characters are not just some guys that met in a bar, but they act like they are, regularly splitting apart and acting on their own.This is going to happen anytime the players / player characters have disparate goals. It's not always a bad thing either...as long as all player groups are active and not sitting passively.

I plan to start off session 2 with something less combat-heavy, a dramatic encounter with what might turn out to be either the BBEG or their boss, but I'm worried that the ones who seemed happy just rolling dice last time will be put out, even as the others get into it.Try and give them similar screen time as those wanting RP. Have the NPC ask them questions. Create some other challenge which needs to be accomplished at the same time. Something to keep them involved.

In addition, 2 of my 6 are habitual DMs, both more experienced than I, and one of them confronted me at the table about a scene last game (he was right about the rules, but still), and it negatively affected the last part of the game. He's my best player, though, independent of that one incident.Without knowing details it's hard to condemn his actions. If you're going to play by a game's rules you should expect to be held to them. I know my players remind me of one rule or another on occasion, it's no big deal - just incorporate the rule and move on.

I'm really at a loss as to how to get the game back on track. I don't want to railroad, because there are choices that I'd like the players to make, but I don't want to set up a scene and have it fall apart. Any advice?What do you mean by "back on track"? If you're relying on them to make specific choices, you're probably hosed. Never base a game on players doing a specific thing. For that matter, don't rely on specific events or outcomes. That's what the game is there to resolve after all.