PDA

View Full Version : Did Cleric guy cast sending?

d'Bwobsling
2008-11-30, 08:15 PM
He removed Belkar's MoJ 1 round before the theives guild came in. It was implied that he had finished the sending spell before, but he could have just stoped half way because he was about to die and he needed help.
P.S. My apologies if this topic has allready been discussed

Latch
2008-11-30, 08:24 PM
Yes, this has already been discussed.:smalltongue:

I think that the cleric finished the sending beforehand, because if he didn't then that would further complicate the party's problem with being separated.

EDIT: And if Rich kept the party separated too much longer, then it would be really dragged on. It's time for the party to come back together, already!:smallfurious:

Azriel
2008-11-30, 08:34 PM
I was quoted? aww Someone needs a hug! No you dont have a say in this. *tacklehug*

Also i think he did just because Haley and (memory for names-fail) seemed to have kept them mostly busy upstairs before they came down to examine the door, plus more time to force thier way in. and if remove curse was just a single round action he had plenty of time to kill.

Latch
2008-11-30, 08:59 PM
*Stretches back and rubs neck*
Yes, you were quoted.:smallsmile:

Her name was Celia, by the way. And yes, I think that Haley and Celia managed to keep them out of the way long enough, as well as the barricaded and locked door, too.

Aergoth
2008-11-30, 09:02 PM
And then, Belkar recieved great wins.

Latch
2008-11-30, 09:13 PM
Quite right. Quite, quite right.

David Argall
2008-12-01, 12:18 AM
The comic shows the cleric is able to talk to Belkar while he casts the spell. The cleric has stopped casting when he gets to the vital question for Belkar even tho he does not need to. So the presumption is that the cleric finished the spell and then asked Belkar if he was a fighter.

The situation is being deliberately left vague. The Sending working can get the party back together in 10-20 strips, and we do need the party re-united about that time, so that is the way to bet. But there is no profit in having us too certain. So the situation is left uncertain.

EyethatBinds
2008-12-01, 03:30 AM
The party won't reunite until strip #1000. It will also somehow end with a joke about how people must have expected something epic for the thousandth comic but nothing really important happens.

Somehow both these events will take place in the same comic.

Nevrmore
2008-12-01, 04:43 AM
If he didn't, he'd be a real jackass to skip town after Belkar kills all the thieves instead of waiting around to just recast it when all's said and done.

Greep
2008-12-01, 06:00 AM
yeah, and considering he's a self-professed coward, I think he'd be too scared of haley to not do the sending.

kerberos
2008-12-01, 06:22 AM
yeah, and considering he's a self-professed coward, I think he'd be too scared of haley to not do the sending.
Well he could skip town and then send the message.

Hydro Globus
2008-12-01, 06:54 AM
...but he doesn't remember the wording and leaves out something important. Brilliant! :)

Kaytara
2008-12-01, 07:05 AM
Today's comic raises some questions.

Why did the cleric decide to leave so soon without getting paid?
Was it because he decided that sticking around is too dangerous for a spell that he gets for free every day anyway? But he's shown to be easily swayed with money and has seen how kickass Belkar is with his tiny daggers. Is he so sceptical of a successful confrontation with Bozzok that he's unwilling to take the risk?

Or maybe he doesn't want to charge Haley for something he didn't really do. Maybe he didn't finish the Sending?

Hydro Globus
2008-12-01, 07:42 AM
Maybe he got to know Belkar. :)

kerberos
2008-12-01, 07:55 AM
...but he doesn't remember the wording and leaves out something important. Brilliant! :)
Nah, he could just as easilly have forgotten something due to the stress of being under attack. Skipping town and then sending the message makes sense in real world terms. By comic book logic I don't think it's likely.

Fitzclowningham
2008-12-01, 09:29 AM
If he didn't, he'd be a real jackass to skip town after Belkar kills all the thieves instead of waiting around to just recast it when all's said and done.

I think he's smart to leave town in any case. In addition to the Thieves' Guild, he also has to worry about the other clerics in his sect coming after him. Besides, after all the excitement, he could probably use a vacation.

Mauve Shirt
2008-12-01, 09:42 AM
Gods, I hope he got to finish the spell. I am so impatient for the parties to at least make contact if not be reunited just yet!

T-O-E
2008-12-01, 10:41 AM
Speculation:
If the cleric didn't finish his original sending, he may cast another when he's safe as a thankyou gift.

EDIT: Super ninja'd.

Optimystik
2008-12-02, 01:54 AM

"...and bring emeralds."

Zolem
2008-12-02, 10:37 AM
It takes 100 rounds to cast Sending. It takes 30-70 to pick a lock. Assuming it took them 50 rounds to pick it, that would mean Haley would have had to have successfuly held them off for 50 rounds, minus however many round it took them to force the door open. If the pick lock attempt took less time that's a problem. If it took more, it's less of a problem. So in my mind, the time to pick lock roll is the determining factor.

Kaytara
2008-12-02, 11:52 AM
It takes 100 rounds to cast Sending. It takes 30-70 to pick a lock. Assuming it took them 50 rounds to pick it, that would mean Haley would have had to have successfuly held them off for 50 rounds, minus however many round it took them to force the door open. If the pick lock attempt took less time that's a problem. If it took more, it's less of a problem. So in my mind, the time to pick lock roll is the determining factor.

So where does that leave us? :smallconfused: On one hand, if it's such a fancy last resort hideout room, it's likely to have good locks. On the other hand, Chuck is unlikely to be of a very high level, since Belkar dispatched him in one hit and called him a schmuck, and he didn't seem to have much difficulty picking the lock.

David Argall
2008-12-02, 11:38 PM
The crucial factor is the need of the plot. It's pretty easy to shove 10 minutes into the offstage times, or to say well less than 10 minutes have passed.
The obvious path for the plot calls for him to have successfully sent Sending, but we have seen the plot go in unobvious ways rather often, so don't bet anymore than pocket change.