PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrr, I be Intimidaten'![3.5 character help]

wadledo
2008-11-30, 09:24 PM
So, in a game on the forum here, I'm planning on playing a LN Skarn Incarnate//Rogue/Full bab class/Spinemeld Warrior.

Now, first of all, I'm not sure how powerful this is.

Second, I need some advice on what to do with intimidate.

Stats are 40 pb, so I think I'm fine there, and SWBL, so (since I'm using Incarnum) I should be fine there as well.

What I'm thinking of is something like this:

Stats:
Str 17 (15)
Dex 13 (15)
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 14

Feats:
1st: ?
3rd: ?(Multiattack?)
6th: Bonus Essentia

But the big question is "What can I do with intimidate?"
You see, I saw that the Skarns had a bonus to intimidate, and since it's not terrible if I could make it faster than a standard action, I'd like to improve that because, well, Pirates!

The character it's self is a "kind" of Tank.
Basically, I want to use my natural attacks, in conjunction with Spinemeld Warrior, to do some decent damage, as well as soak up some attacks with a high-ish AC.
Add that in with a good selection of social skills and some extra damage from rogue, I think the character is pretty well rounded, but I could be wrong.

For those of you who don't want to read all that;
1. How can I make intimidate useful with 1-2 feats and incarnum?
2. Do my stats look decent?
3. I've never actually tried to use Incarnum serisously, what melds should I use + such?
4. Is a Spinemeld Warrior going to be effective in conjunction with Incarnate and rogue?

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-30, 09:26 PM
Imperious Command: Demoralized opponent cowers for 1 round, then shaken for 1 round.

Frightful Presence: Whenever you attack or charge, all opponents within a radius of 30 feet who have fewer levels or Hit Dice than you become shaken for a number of rounds equal to 1d6 + your Cha modifier.

Lemur
2008-11-30, 09:31 PM
Scarlet Corsair from Stormwrack is a full bab class which is somewhat based around being intimidating. Also it would give you an excuse to say Arrrrr.

Keld Denar
2008-11-30, 09:33 PM
For your full BAB side, grab 4 levels of Hexblade. Use the rebalanced Hexblade done up by the creator of the class, found on the wizards site somewhere (can't look, blocked at work) and the PHBII alt class feature called Dark Companion. These 2 features will lower your opponents saves by 2 each, meaning that your Dreadful Wrath will have a more likely chance hitting. There are some other things (Blackguard/Binder) you can do to make this penalty worse, but require evil/other sources. Hexblade would be a perfect fit, since its cha based.

Check Complete Scoundrel for skill tricks. I know there are 2 for intimidate. Group Fake Out (works on large numbers of foes) and one other that I can't remember off the top of my head. Should help.

wadledo
2008-11-30, 09:49 PM
Stupendous_Man: Frightful Presence is based off of my Cha mod, and I'd rather have fewer stats to worry about, but it is my standby.

Imperious Command is from where?

Lemur: Just checked, and Scarlet Corsair is non-lawful only.

Keld Denar: I was thinking hexblade.:smallbiggrin:
I can only fit in 2 or 3 levels (so I can have 2 levels of Spinemeld Warrior), but Arcane Resistance and Mettle will be useful, and give me something to do with my dead SMW levels.

Can't believe I forgot those skill tricks.

RTGoodman
2008-11-30, 10:00 PM
Check out the CharOp board's Demoralize Optimization project (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-911167) - even if you don't use ALL of it, you can see what all it mentions and go from there.

ClericofPhwarrr
2008-11-30, 10:03 PM
Barbarian+Intimidating Rage+(group intimidate skill trick) is a nice combo. But when you add Instantaneous Rage+Imperious Command in there, it becomes the mid-level version of Celerity/Timestop--until fear immunities start kicking in. But until then, you can rage on someone else's turn to shut down their action, and leave them (and all their nearby allies) doing nothing but stand there shaking for the rest of the encounter. And then they die to your axe.