PDA

View Full Version : Snuggie: The Wearable Blanket

kpenguin
2008-11-30, 10:42 PM
I recently saw this commercial for a product that is...

You know what, I'll just link to the ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xZp-GLMMJ0).

Seriously, who buys this stuff? To whoever invented the snuggie: congratulations, you've invented a backless robe.

Malotesta
2008-11-30, 10:45 PM
The sad thing is, you know they are going to get rich off of it...

Krytha
2008-11-30, 10:56 PM
I want to join that cult!

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Haruki-kun
2008-11-30, 10:59 PM
Not very convincing. Their hands would still be cold. And I think I'd be more comfortable in a blanket. Part of what keeps you warm under plankets is being all curled up, so this sorta ruins it.

Helanna
2008-11-30, 11:03 PM
The funny thing is, a few years ago when I was maybe 10, I had plans to make something very similar to that.

I read all the time, and living in a climate where it gets really cold for half the year, I found myself irritated by trying to curl up under a blanket and read at the same time. So I said someone should add arms to a blanket so you could do stuff while wearing it.

Then I realized that that's what bathrobes are.

Castel
2008-11-30, 11:13 PM
I want to join that cult!

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

My thoughts exactly. Im pretty sure that some big organization busted some cultists and found a huge room of spare robes. Snuggies were the next logical step.

RTGoodman
2008-11-30, 11:15 PM
My family is OBSESSED with these things. Like, my mom, dad, and brother have ALL called me into the living room on separate occasions to see this "awesome new thing" that they all want for Christmas. :smallsigh:

I don't usually get cold or anything, but I did say the first time I saw them that I'd LOVE to have one to walk around in in public like some sort of fleece Jedi or something...

OverdrivePrime
2008-11-30, 11:23 PM
I am terribly annoyed that someone decided to make a business model out of having people put their bathrobes on backwards, like the Kris-Kross of sleepwear or something.

Zeful
2008-11-30, 11:25 PM
The only reason I'd ever buy one is if they stuffed an electric heater in it. As they are as previously mentioned bathrobes worn backward.

UncleWolf
2008-11-30, 11:28 PM
The sad thing is, you know they are going to get rich off of it...

Just like goldfish sweaters, dehydrated water and Scientology. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

DraPrime
2008-11-30, 11:28 PM
The IgNobel comitee must be notified!

BizzaroStormy
2008-11-30, 11:32 PM
I don't usually get cold or anything, but I did say the first time I saw them that I'd LOVE to have one to walk around in in public like some sort of fleece Jedi or something...

You DO feel warm and comfortable. *waves hand*

Zeful
2008-11-30, 11:35 PM
You DO feel warm and comfortable. *waves hand*

This is not the bathrobe your looking for.

Random Though: It would be kinda cool to get Obi-won's actor to speak every word in the dictionary so we could create audio files of these kinds of things.

SilentNight
2008-11-30, 11:36 PM
*Sigh* anything to make a buck. Don't you just love consumer America? :smallsigh:

UncleWolf
2008-11-30, 11:37 PM
This is not the bathrobe your looking for.

Random Though: It would be kinda cool to get Obi-won's actor to speak every word in the dictionary so we could create audio files of these kinds of things.

Yes, that would be cool.

Zeful
2008-11-30, 11:37 PM
No. Oh, that was a rhetorical question, right?

Zarrexaij
2008-11-30, 11:45 PM
...my mom wants to buy me one of those. >.<

RTGoodman
2008-11-30, 11:48 PM

That would be cool, considering he's been dead for like 8 years... :smalltongue:

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-30, 11:58 PM
That would be cool, considering he's been dead for like 8 years... :smalltongue:

So? He has spoken enough lines in starwars to be able to make his voice say anything you are inclined to make it say. His being dead is irrelevant.

Zeful
2008-12-01, 12:01 AM

That would prove he's a Jedi... from a certain point of view.

Gaelbert
2008-12-01, 12:10 AM
"Similar products sell for..."

There are similar products? And they actually sell? Shoot me now.
And what's up with that book light? Just weird.

SurlySeraph
2008-12-01, 12:15 AM
This ad bothers me. So much.

I mean, is it really that painful to take your arms out from under the blanket for a second to turn the goddamn page? And doesn't not being able to choose how high up the blanket is on your chest and neck cancel out whatever benefit the sleeves give, unless you expect to always be too cold and never become too warm?

And seriously: Snuggie? It makes the Care Bears sound like Rambo. Nothing that cutesy-wutsey can be trusted.

Nefarion Xid
2008-12-01, 12:23 AM
No One Expects The Snuggie Inquisition!

Khosan
2008-12-01, 12:43 AM
Who gets cold when using a laptop?

Use mine for five minutes and my legs were aflame.

Zeful
2008-12-01, 01:02 AM
Who gets cold when using a laptop?

Use mine for five minutes and my legs were aflame.

I sleep next to a leaky window and my arms freeze quickly. but yeah I've learned to remove my keys when working on this thing.

thubby
2008-12-01, 02:39 AM
i could see using that on the computer.

skywalker
2008-12-01, 03:03 AM
Just like goldfish sweaters, dehydrated water and Scientology. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Man, can you imagine if you inserted Christianity or Islam for that last one?

Good thing Scientology's not a real religion... Oh, wait. :smallmad:

Anyway, on the topic at hand, I actually use a blanket to protect my legs from the heat of my laptop, especially when I'm in jammies.

I actually thought the snuggie was a really cool concept, altho certainly not something I would buy. Here's why I thought it was cool. First off, yes, it looks like an inverted bathrobe, but the problem with wearing a normal robe is, it opens on the same side of you that's open to the air (unless you normally lounge around on your face, which you might :smalltongue:). So when you move around in a loose robe, it can fall open, exposing the softer, more sensitive you underneath to the (presumably cold) air. By contrast, a snuggie, in theory (I have not actually used one), opens onto the chair, couch, or bed you're resting on, and therefore forms a more blanket like situation (with, dare I say, even less chance of exposure due to slippage, because of how the sleeves hold it in place) than a robe. It's advantage over the blanket have already been touched on. If you need to hold the book (for whatever reason) with your hands at all times, the snuggie could be invaluable. Plus, if you're like me and like to switch your positioning around a lot while you read, then having the sleeves there holding the blanket up on you is a significant pro, not a con.

This is the purpose I see a snuggie fulfilling.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-12-01, 03:10 AM
The slightly depressing part? It is clear that that book light was their last big product, in a few months some tangentially bed or clothes related product will come with a free Snuggie after the supply of people who will buy one dries up.

Ninja Chocobo
2008-12-01, 03:29 AM
I'd buy one if it had a back, and I wasn't in Australia.

Flame of Anor
2008-12-01, 04:21 AM
Lord, what fools these consumers be. :smallwink:

Player_Zero
2008-12-01, 04:25 AM
Well, if I ever want to look like a suicide cultist, I'll be sure to pick one up.

Also, ads like that are hilarious. In a bad way.

Quinsar
2008-12-01, 09:38 AM
You obivously do not see the great genius lord that is Snuggie, praise it and it might not kill you.
Snuggies!
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenius!
>.<
But yeah, it's a pretty stuid idea...

UncleWolf
2008-12-01, 09:39 AM
Well, if I ever want to look like a suicide cultist, I'll be sure to pick one up.

Also, ads like that are hilarious. In a bad way.

If you want to see a funny ad, look up The Flaverwave. Mr. T is in it.

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-01, 10:01 AM
If you want to see a funny ad, look up The Flaverwave. Mr. T is in it.

Have we forgotten the infamous Head-On?

Rest assured, after a few viewings of that commercial, you'll be laughing.

...your mind will have snapped like a twig and between your bouts of crazed laughter you'll be repeating "Apply directly to the forehead," but you'll be laughing.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-01, 10:52 AM
Foolish backward bathrobes they are.

Bathrobes ruuuuule!

captain_entropy
2008-12-01, 02:06 PM
To whoever invented the snuggie: congratulations, you've invented a backless robe.

HAHAHAH i saw this commercial too and had the same reaction! i'm fine with a normal blanket thanks!

skywalker
2008-12-01, 02:12 PM
Have we forgotten the infamous Head-On?

Rest assured, after a few viewings of that commercial, you'll be laughing.

...your mind will have snapped like a twig and between your bouts of crazed laughter you'll be repeating "Apply directly to the forehead," but you'll be laughing.

But they did sell a whole lot of "Head On."

And then the came out with the other commercials, which were "head-on, I hate your commercials, but i LOVE your product!"

Attack advertising really does work sometimes.

FdL
2008-12-01, 02:21 PM
1) I thought it was a joke. Please someone who bought it give me proof that it's a real product and not a very well done prank video.

2) Yet another product aimed at and supporting the lifestyle of the "lazy" demographic segment.

3) If I encountered a person looking like that in my house in the middle of the night, it would scare the pajamas out of me :S XD

Ego Slayer
2008-12-01, 02:22 PM
Haha. I saw the ad on TV last week and thought something similar to what Zero said. Seriously, guys... wtf. Not only did the ad make me laugh, but c'mon... how many people d'you think actually called up upon seeing it? None! ><

FdL
2008-12-01, 02:25 PM
I just ordered the Raistlin Majere model.

Exachix
2008-12-01, 03:52 PM
It's a robe!

I want one to convert into a robe!

FdL
2008-12-01, 05:10 PM
It's a robe!

I want one to convert into a robe!

Hmmm...At 14 bucks, maybe it IS cheaper than an actual robe. Have no idea really.

Ash08
2008-12-01, 10:53 PM
I find it minorly disturbing that people have th eneed for a blanket with arms... just saying:smalltongue:

Khosan
2008-12-02, 01:18 AM
Haha. I saw the ad on TV last week and thought something similar to what Zero said. Seriously, guys... wtf. Not only did the ad make me laugh, but c'mon... how many people d'you think actually called up upon seeing it? None! ><

Yea, it's not a sexy thing to wear. It looks sad to be honest, like a night gown that got depressed and gained twenty pounds on Häagen-Dazs.