PDA

View Full Version : Hive Pontifex (Template, 3.5)

starwoof
2008-12-01, 04:28 AM
Hive Pontifex

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/starwoof2/OOTSitars/hivepontifexbig.png

Hive Pontifexes are the chosen of Wrechis, god of destruction. Most were clerics of Wrechis before their transformation, though Wrechis has been know to bestow his 'blessings' to those of radically different alignments and religions. Regardless, any who become Hive Pontifexes are completely devoted to Wrechis's goals, chief among these is the destruction of civilization.

A Hive Pontifex's outward appearance is much the same as it was before his transformation. His eyes have changed into amber-colored compound eyes like those of an insect. Bony honeycomb structures begin to grow out of the Pontifex's back, shoulders, and palms. His organs are rearranged and pushed around by the new structures inside of him, those that give the destroyer Hive life. All of these affects combine to give the Pontifex greatly enhanced toughness and endurance.

Hive Pontifexes are often the leaders of cults dedicated to Wrechis. They are natural leaders of men both alive and dead. A Hive Pontifex is the top of the chain of command withing Wrechis' church, second only to the Grand Pontifex.

Creating a Hive Pontifex
'Hive Pontifex' is an acquired template that can be added to any Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, Living Construct, or Giant that is at least medium sized.

Size and Type: Type changes to Aberration with the Augmented subtype.

Speed: Same as the base creature.

Armor Class: +3 natural armor.

Space/Reach: Same as the base creature.

Special Attacks:
Destroyer Swarm (Su): The Hive Pontifex gains a breath weapon attack that takes the form of a swarm of deadly wasps or locusts. Once every 10 rounds the hive may fire a 20-foot line of wasps that deals 1d4 piercing damage per HD of the Hive and inflicts Shift Plague. A reflex save is allowed for half damage. The Reflex DC is 10 + 1/2 the Hive's HD + Con. The insects die at the end of the Hive Pontifex's turn.

Special Qualities:
Plague Carrier (Su): All attacks with natural or manufactured weapons from the Hive Pontifex have a 30% chance of inflicting Shift Plague. The Hive Pontifex is immune to disease, poison, death effects, and ability drain.

Swarming Insects: The Hive Pontifex is constantly surrounded by a swarm of biting, stinging insects. Any creatures within the Hive Pontifex's threatened area take 1d4 piercing damage every round and have a 5% chance of contracting Shift Plague. Spellcasters trying to cast spells in this area take a -2 penalty to concentration checks. The Hive Pontifex has -6 to move silently checks while this ability is active. He can suppress or resume this ability as a move action.

Spellcasting: If the Hive Pontifex was a cleric, his deity immediately changes to Wrechis. He must immediately choose two new domains (either Pestilence, Destruction, or Evil). His caster level immediately increases by two for all cleric spells with the evil descriptor.

Base Saves: Same as the base creature.

Abilities: +2 str, +6 con, -2 dex, +2 cha

Skills: Same as the base creature. Knowledge (Religion) is always a class skill for a Hive Pontifex.

Feats: The Hive Pontifex gains Endurance, Die Hard, and Bee-vocation (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98116) as bonus feats.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.

Alignment: Always Evil.

Advancement: Same as the base creature. Most Hive Pontifexes are clerics and advance as such.

Level Adjustment: +4

Shift Plague

The Shift Plague was created by the god Wrechis. It is a supernatural disease.
Infection: Injury (bite, claw, or sting from an infected person/zombie/insect)
DC: 17
Incubation Period: 6 hours
Damage: 1d8 con. Anyonewho has their constitution reduced to zero while infected with Shift Plague turns into a zombie.

Wrechis
Symbol: A circle with a line through it, with a dot on either side
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Domains: Destruction, Pestilence, Evil
Portfolio: Vermin, Destruction
Favored Weapon: Heavy Mace
Wrechis is the god of destruction and vermin. He is a foul and hateful god that seeks nothing more than the destruction and subjugation of the whole world. He is unpredictable and a master thinker. He often appears as a hybrid between a human male and some sort of giant insect. His followers are active agents of his will in the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------

And so continues my experiment of making a campaign setting without a map, set of goals, or theme. The previous article in this series was Sentinels (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96402), a new type of living construct. This is all a weird experience for me since I like to make my campaigns in a fairly orderly fashion. I've thought of some other things, but now I know that one of the major forces in my world will be this plague god.

About the template. I was inspired a bit by the Ori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ori_(Stargate)) of Stargate. Typhus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Guard) was another influence on this. I assigned the CR and LA arbitrarily since I've never made a template. I'd like to add some more abilities as well but I'm having trouble. I figured I could get some help with that here.:smallbiggrin: I'll probably add some more fluff as I think of it as well.

By the way, I have a smaller version of the image at the top available as an avatar if somebody wants it.:smalltongue:

C+C appreciated. Cheers.