PDA

View Full Version : Factotum Help

BRC
2008-12-01, 10:43 AM
I'm currently making a 5th level Warforged Factotum (Using the Elite Array for stats). I've pretty much got everything figured out, except one thing.
origionally, I went with 13 dex, 14 str, my feats were going to be Mithril Body and Power Attack. Weapons were going to be a greataxe and a composite longbow.
The idea was that I could use power attack to add my int to damage twice, use two inspiration points, one to add int (+3) to damage, another to add it to attack roll, then power attack the attack roll bonus back into damage (My DM uses the 3.0 version of power attack).
However, I then found out about Font of Inspiration, which is The factotum feat. So, I can only afford one +1 weapon, without power attack, would it be btter for me to put by 14 into Dex and get a +1 longbow, or stay with the +1 greataxe.

Keld Denar
2008-12-01, 11:06 AM
Generally, as I interpret it, a Factotum's primary source of damage is Sneak Attack which gets added on through the expenditure of IP. For your character, since you are using 3.0 PA instead of 3.5 PA, I'd drop PA. It might have been worth it if you got a better damage return, but you don't. You'll probably get better damage avoiding PA altogether.

I guess it depends, do you see yourself being an archer past about 7-8th level? If so, go with the archery route. If not, avoid building for it at low levels, because you'll hinder yourself later. I've never really seen a Factotum played as an archer, but I suppose it couldn't hurt. Get Greater Invis as your 4th level Spell-Like though, cause otherwise its hard to qualify for SA after the first round to round and a half of combat as an archer.

Blood_Lord
2008-12-01, 01:26 PM
Generally, as I interpret it, a Factotum's primary source of damage is Sneak Attack which gets added on through the expenditure of IP. For your character, since you are using 3.0 PA instead of 3.5 PA, I'd drop PA. It might have been worth it if you got a better damage return, but you don't. You'll probably get better damage avoiding PA altogether.

I guess it depends, do you see yourself being an archer past about 7-8th level? If so, go with the archery route. If not, avoid building for it at low levels, because you'll hinder yourself later. I've never really seen a Factotum played as an archer, but I suppose it couldn't hurt. Get Greater Invis as your 4th level Spell-Like though, cause otherwise its hard to qualify for SA after the first round to round and a half of combat as an archer.

I don't see how you think that, since at any given level a Factotum, by spending all of their IP one round, gets the SA of a Rogue for just that one round.

If you are going to use Factotum for SA, you are much better off just being a Rogue and getting SA all the time.

BRC
2008-12-01, 01:40 PM
Yeah, SA is good and all, but it burns through IP really fast.

At 5th level, I've got an Int bonus of +3, that is equal to the average damage a SA would give me, and I can use it whenever I want, and I don't have to spend that IP until I know Ive hit (You spend the IP immediately before the roll). Mind you, I can't stack that like I can with SA damage, but if I don't have abunch of IP left to burn (I'll have 6 per encounter when the game starts) it's the better option. Of course, the great thing about the Factotum, is that I don't need to "Build" for SA, I just choose which I want on the fly.
I think I'll go with the ranged focus, it's generally more versatile, focusing on Dex over Str gives me more AC, and other nifty benefits. In this case "building for it" means putting my 14 into dex instead of str, and getting a +1 longbow instead of a +1 greataxe. I'm not spending feats on it, so I can always switch later.

AmberVael
2008-12-01, 01:58 PM
A factotum isn't really a main damage dealer, so you're probably better off going with a ranged weapon, so you can stay near the back and pick people off who need a little extra damage on them.

Person_Man
2008-12-01, 01:58 PM
Obligatory Links:

Factotum Handbook (forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=791436)
Haberdash the Masked (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633)

OK, now that that's out of the way, here's my advice:

Power Attack is a bad idea for non-full-BAB classes. The math just doesn't work very well, especially for characters with MAD. You're better off finding another source of bonus damage. Here are your options:

Haberdash: Use crazy weapon and Skill Trick combos.
Sneak Attack: All you need is 1d6. Then take Craven (Champions of Ruin) for an extra +1 per class level. If you're going melee, also take Staggering Strike (Complete Adventurer), which Staggers (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Staggered) enemies. You can rely on your Inspiration points for this, or use Martial Strike and Martial Study to get it from the ToB, or dip one level into variant Fighter or Rogue or whatnot.
Ancestral Weapon: Gives you one uber weapon. Particularly good for archer builds. Book of Exalted Deeds.
Magic: Buff spells. Alter Self is a gold mine, but there are obviously a ton of options. UMD and Use Psionic Device as needed.

BRC
2008-12-01, 03:52 PM
I've got a bad charisma score, so UMD will be problamatic, however I have enough skill points to counteract that. Also, I think my DM ruled that factotums have a "Spell List" for the purposes of using wands and scrolls, with the addition that I can only use wands and scrolls for spells that I am high enough level to theoretically cast.

Yeah, I think I'll go with the longbow. I'll keep a backup melee weapon of course, but it sounds like the group has enough meatsheilds to get in the way of mooks, and i've got a decent amount of HP and I think I'm sporting 18 AC without spending any IP.

Person_Man
2008-12-01, 04:21 PM
I've got a bad charisma score, so UMD will be problamatic, however I have enough skill points to counteract that. Also, I think my DM ruled that factotums have a "Spell List" for the purposes of using wands and scrolls, with the addition that I can only use wands and scrolls for spells that I am high enough level to theoretically cast.

Yeah, I think I'll go with the longbow. I'll keep a backup melee weapon of course, but it sounds like the group has enough meatsheilds to get in the way of mooks, and i've got a decent amount of HP and I think I'm sporting 18 AC without spending any IP.

You can choose Alter Self as one of your spells. By itself that will give you a ton of mileage. But in general, poor Cha isn't a problem for UMD. The DCs are fixed. Activating a Wand is DC 20. So a 6th level Factotum with Cha 10 who maxes it out needs to roll 11 or better to use it. Since your activating a buff spell (with a duration of 1 min per level or higher, if you're smart about your choices) then you can just keep trying over and over again until you succeed. Another strategy is to buy a wand and then have the party Wizard (or whatever) activate it for you.

If you're going the archery route, then you must have Manyshot by 8th level. Combined with Rapidshot and Cunning Surge, and you fire 6 arrows. Invest in a decent bow, and you can deal some major hurt on.

BRC
2008-12-01, 04:31 PM
I'm abit short in the feat department, so no Rapid Shot. Besides, I don't really want to sink that many feats into Archery, I'll stick with Font of Inspiration and keep my options open