PDA

View Full Version : Naming a Runeblade

Lerky
2008-12-01, 03:25 PM
If you could had a Runeblade, like Arthas' Frostmourne, what would you name it?
I'm trying to think of what I would call it but I have no idea, figured I'd ask if other people thought up names.

I'm trying to figure out a way to combine the following words:

Crisp
Frigid
Steel
Rend
Slay
Mangle
Bleak

I figure hearing what other people think will get my mind jogging. Thanks:smallbiggrin:

Khosan
2008-12-01, 03:32 PM
Name it Snapcrackle.

BRC
2008-12-01, 03:36 PM
Well, you could just pick a pair of words and stick them together, for example, Steelrend, Crispslay, Slayrend, ect. However, The words you have sound kind of wierd when used like that. Therefore, I propose you translate them into badly mangled Latin or German or whatever. then, pick whichever words sound the coolest and put them together.

Lerky
2008-12-01, 03:38 PM
Well, you could just pick a pair of words and stick them together, for example, Steelrend, Crispslay, Slayrend, ect. However, The words you have sound kind of wierd when used like that. Therefore, I propose you translate them into badly mangled Latin or German or whatever. then, pick whichever words sound the coolest and put them together.

yeah, but it might sound less cool in German. I'm mainly asking for what you guys would name it. Hopefully that'll give me some inspiration:smalltongue:

Revanmal
2008-12-01, 03:42 PM
Pyredirge would be a good one.

Bouregard
2008-12-01, 03:43 PM
Pretty much translated things look stupid in german. If we go for Frostmourne - Frostgram in the german version. Horrible.

I would use something put non-language

Zaruhn f. Example. Or just use a namegenerator with demonic names. They should suit your case.

ufo
2008-12-01, 04:27 PM
Slay McKillstuff.

Maxymiuk
2008-12-01, 04:29 PM
Manglecrisp Steelrend the Frigid Bleakslayer.

What? :smalltongue:

My rule of thumb is, if you're going to run around with an eldritch sword of yore, it damn well better have a name that describes the reason/purpose of its existence.

Drascin
2008-12-01, 04:32 PM
My rule of thumb is, if you're going to run around with an eldritch sword of yore, it damn well better have a name that describes the reason/purpose of its existence.

Or go the exact opposite route, and name it Bob.

Ganurath
2008-12-01, 04:33 PM
My rule of thumb is, if you're going to run around with an eldritch sword of yore, it damn well better have a name that describes the reason/purpose of its existence.Windflayer. If I have a magic sword, I want one that kills in ways nonmagic swords can't. That means slashing is a ranged attack, cuts tearing along the wind to strike foes at a distance. Such an enchantment is also useful for defending against ranged attacks, like when Mustang fought Pride in the FMA anime.

ufo
2008-12-01, 04:38 PM
Windflayer. If I have a magic sword, I want one that kills in ways nonmagic swords can't.

If I owned a horrible, evil sword I don't think I'd advertise the fact that it was magic. In a world filled with magic people would probably be like "Oh, that's why. Jolly good, then", whereas a 'normal' sword which was crafted so magnificently that (given that it is wielded by a competent person) can fulfill the world's worst nightmares (etc.) is really scary.

Gourtox
2008-12-01, 05:17 PM
Mactabilis or Macails(I made this one up)

warty goblin
2008-12-01, 05:17 PM
Impractical Backscratcher.

Maxymiuk
2008-12-01, 05:30 PM
If I owned a horrible, evil sword I don't think I'd advertise the fact that it was magic. In a world filled with magic people would probably be like "Oh, that's why. Jolly good, then", whereas a 'normal' sword which was crafted so magnificently that (given that it is wielded by a competent person) can fulfill the world's worst nightmares (etc.) is really scary.

Stealth is (almost) always the more prudent option, I agree. But I thought we were talking about a big, honking thing with runes glowing along its length. :smallcool:

Edit: fixed typo

ufo
2008-12-01, 05:57 PM
Stealth is (almost) always the more prudent option, I agree. But I thought we were talking a big, honking thing with runes glowing along its length. :smallcool:

Your excess of logic disturbs me, admiral. *force choke*

Ganurath
2008-12-01, 06:10 PM
If I owned a horrible, evil sword I don't think I'd advertise the fact that it was magic. In a world filled with magic people would probably be like "Oh, that's why. Jolly good, then", whereas a 'normal' sword which was crafted so magnificently that (given that it is wielded by a competent person) can fulfill the world's worst nightmares (etc.) is really scary.Yeah, but most magic swords are just extra sharp, magically reinforced, have glowing runes, and occasionally are covered with some sort of destructive energy. People aren't going to expect the act of drawing a sword to decapitate the enemy general on the other side of the battlefield.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-12-01, 06:11 PM
Bleaksteel. I would name it Bleaksteel.

13_CBS
2008-12-01, 07:39 PM
Tacet Solus, Latin for "The Only Silence" or "The Lonely Silence". Called such since, when it swings, it is utterly silent, and only the screams of the dead and the dying can be heard.

Ganurath
2008-12-01, 08:00 PM
...the screams of the dead and the dying can be heard.You're doing it wrong, then.

13_CBS
2008-12-01, 08:06 PM
You're assuming that I'm some sort of assassin. And that I give my enemies quick deaths :smallamused:

Shpadoinkle
2008-12-01, 08:08 PM
Well what kind of powers does it have? Is it just a +12 Hackmaster, or does it have other abilities? Is it sentient? If so, what kind of personality does it have? These could all be very helpful.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-12-01, 08:11 PM
Great, I gave up an awesome name I'll probably use if I ever get a Death Knight character (namely Bleaksteel... it just has a ring to it you know?)

13_CBS
2008-12-01, 08:13 PM
Whoops! I didn't read the OP thoroughly enough. Hmm...

Lerky, do you absolutely have to use the words that you picked?

Lerky
2008-12-01, 10:36 PM
Well what kind of powers does it have? Is it just a +12 Hackmaster, or does it have other abilities? Is it sentient? If so, what kind of personality does it have? These could all be very helpful.

It’s just a basic Runeblade (http://www.wowwiki.com/Runeblade)

@CBS: No, I’m looking for your opinion. Those are just some random words that I thought sounded cool :smalltounge:

13_CBS
2008-12-01, 10:48 PM
I see. In that case, I still stick with Tacet Solus, the Only Silence. :smallbiggrin:

Galileo
2008-12-01, 11:14 PM
Call it Diplomacy.

After killing a couple of ambassadors from a hostile nation:
"Did you try diplomacy first?"
"Of course!"

Enlong
2008-12-01, 11:18 PM
Celes Chere.
Oh, wait.

zaei
2008-12-01, 11:20 PM
Whispers on the Wind
Splitting Motes of Sunlight
Edge of Shadow, Edge of Light
River of Molten Steel

The power of a sword is in direct proportion to the length of its name =]

Enlong
2008-12-02, 12:02 AM
Whispers on the Wind
Splitting Motes of Sunlight
Edge of Shadow, Edge of Light
River of Molten Steel

The power of a sword is in direct proportion to the length of its name =]

Oh! Then I think I have the name of the most powerful sword in existence!
*ahem*
"The Most Secret and Sorrowful Of The Bearers Of The Endless Destiny Of All Creation Which Wander Amidtst Forgotten Sights And Fallen Tears Along The Tread of Ancient Ashen Footsteps Through The Showdow of That Which Comes And Into That Riotous Cacaphony Which Births All Fools And Steals All Beauty, Who Heralds Through Her Silence The Stillness And Chill Of Those Who Were Not Born And Who Will Not Fade 'Till All Things Fall And In That Most Grim Harvest Form The Final Restful Tomb Of All Awakened Life And All The Sleepless..." Etc.

Kyeudo
2008-12-02, 12:21 AM
"The Most Secret and Sorrowful Of The Bearers Of The Endless Destiny Of All Creation Which Wander Amidtst Forgotten Sights And Fallen Tears Along The Tread of Ancient Ashen Footsteps Through The Shadow of That Which Comes And Into That Riotous Cacaphony Which Births All Fools And Steals All Beauty, Who Heralds Through Her Silence The Stillness And Chill Of Those Who Were Not Born And Who Will Not Fade 'Till All Things Fall And In That Most Grim Harvest Form The Final Restful Tomb Of All Awakened Life And All The Sleepless Dead" (http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0001.html)

Fixed it for you.

Poison_Fish
2008-12-02, 01:02 AM
Impractical Backscratcher.

Getting a little envy there with your Impractical Treesaw, huh?

Ryshan Ynrith
2008-12-02, 01:09 AM
Well, since most runeblades are currently possessed by deathknights semi-returned to their old lives, perhaps something a little less aggressive and a little more contemplative? Your typical freed death knight would have a lot on their conscience from what they did while they were Scourge. So perhaps something like Penitent's Sorrow, for example.

Lerky
2008-12-02, 01:24 AM
@^: Now that is an awsome name:smallbiggrin:
The name seems like something an Alliance would call his blade though (like an ex Human Paladin or something) while my character is an undead named Brigor Coldskull. His talent line is frost so I'm going for something a little bit frozen themed. Just saying:smalltongue:

and also, thanks for all the ideas. Alot of these names are awsome some are...silly

Khanderas
2008-12-02, 03:16 AM
Lifedrinker, Warmthstealer, Icebleak, Hopecrusher, Kingslayer

add in a title

Destoyer of Hope, bringer of (Destruction/Pestilence/Twlight/X/Y)

WoWganker
2008-12-02, 03:19 AM
toothpick.

Philistine
2008-12-02, 03:21 AM
I favor simplicity, so if I were setting up a "cold" theme I would go for something like Sleet or Rime. Or perhaps Hoarfrost, which has a nicely archaic ring to it. If none of those were available, I suppose I'd wirk my way down through names like Sleetsteel, Hard Freeze, Killing Frost, and Icy Talon of Remorse, and so on.

Gourtox
2008-12-02, 07:16 AM
Tears of the Lich or Tears of something like the new place.

Prowl
2008-12-02, 10:44 AM
When in doubt: "Bob".

Tried and true.

Valendiv
2008-12-02, 02:50 PM
Hmm, just throwing in some random names I thought of:
----------------------------Specific Names
Stillheart
Fatebringer
Bleakheart
Soulseeker
Nemesis
{Bleak, Crisp, Frigid, Eternal, Cursed}Dawn
Soulcaller
Soulbind
Atonement
Cursed Sorrow
Eternal Despair
Morbid Fate
Runic Chaos
Pretentious {Sorrow, Chaos, Obliteration, Fate}
-----------------------------Generic Names
Imperial Blade of the Ancients
Gleaming Blade of the Immortal
Serrated Blade of Chaos
Unholy Blade of Disembowelment
Runic Blade of Obliteration
Eternal Blade of Rebirth
Cursed Blade of Mastery
Unholy Blade of Sorrow
(All the "Of ______" are interchangeable.)

----------------------------Thalassian
Sin'Serrar - Blood Blade
Quel'Zaram - High Blade
Quel'Serrar-High Blade(Zaram/Serrar both mean Blade)
Shan'dor - Runestone protecting Eversong
Anu'Serrar - Light Blade
Thori'Dal - Star's Fury (Yes, the legendary bow)
Dal'Serrar - Blade of the stars
Belore'Serrar - Blade of the suns
Shalla'Serrar - Shadow Blade
----------------------------Darnassian
Nor'Serrar - Blade of the Heavens
Zin'Serrar - Glory Blade
Kal'Serrar - Star Blade

Not terribly original names, I'll try and think of more. :smallsmile:

zaei
2008-12-02, 05:56 PM
Oh! Then I think I have the name of the most powerful sword in existence!
*ahem*
"The Most Secret and Sorrowful Of The Bearers Of The Endless Destiny Of All Creation Which Wander Amidtst Forgotten Sights And Fallen Tears Along The Tread of Ancient Ashen Footsteps Through The Showdow of That Which Comes And Into That Riotous Cacaphony Which Births All Fools And Steals All Beauty, Who Heralds Through Her Silence The Stillness And Chill Of Those Who Were Not Born And Who Will Not Fade 'Till All Things Fall And In That Most Grim Harvest Form The Final Restful Tomb Of All Awakened Life And All The Sleepless..." Etc.

I believe you've mistaken "Dragonlance Gnome" for "Sword" ;)

Lerky
2008-12-03, 08:22 PM
I think I have decided on a name (it's one of yours but I'm not gonna say which:smallwink:) however another name also came to mind: Frozen Tears. Named after his wife killed in Northrend (the Frozen Tears being his when he witnessed her death in the frigid wastelands). I personally think the name just sounds...werid but I wanted to get some opinions first.

Even though I've decided on a name I want you guys to continue posting ideas. Some of these names are sooooo awsome and others...well...they're good for a quick laugh:smallamused:

Player_Zero
2008-12-04, 06:06 AM
Rainbow sword of cuddles is still better.

Or wuv and peas.

Ashen Lilies
2008-12-04, 07:57 AM
Well, if I had a runeblade, it would be the complete antithesis of Forstmourne, a blazing blade of fire and light and goodness, which I should call....

FLAMEHAPPINESS!!!

What?

Knaight
2008-12-04, 08:17 AM
Wind Sliver.

Gourtox
2008-12-04, 08:40 PM
I think I have decided on a name (it's one of yours but I'm not gonna say which:smallwink:) however another name also came to mind: Frozen Tears. Named after his wife killed in Northrend (the Frozen Tears being his when he witnessed her death in the frigid wastelands). I personally think the name just sounds...werid but I wanted to get some opinions first.

Even though I've decided on a name I want you guys to continue posting ideas. Some of these names are sooooo awsome and others...well...they're good for a quick laugh:smallamused:

Frozen Tears sounds a lot like mine, but I have to say Tears of The Heart or Frozen Love or even Tears of my Love I thought of these when I read the explanation for the name. Also tell us the name so we can see what kind of names you like.

Innis Cabal
2008-12-04, 10:52 PM
Yakizan-The Storm of Cicada's.
Hollow Sanctuary
The Ink Stone
Swallow