PDA

View Full Version : Spider Jerusalem, Paladin.

Prak
2008-12-01, 06:47 PM
Ok, so I suggested it in another thread, and now I'm mixing my love of Spider Jerusalem, and my desire to try my hand at playing a paladin.

How well do you guys think I can do this? How do you guys think I can do this?

My basic instinct here is to take Spider Jerusalem, and tone down his more sociopathic tendancies, but take his entire attitude and just aim it at evil.

kopout
2008-12-01, 06:50 PM
Spider Jerusalem?
like what a jewish Spider-Man?

Twilight Jack
2008-12-01, 06:52 PM
Spider Jerusalem?

Spider Jerusalem, from Transmetropolitan (http://www.transmetropolitan.com/).

Lert, A.
2008-12-01, 06:55 PM
Spider Jerusalem?

My Kabbalah-sense is tingling!

Ecalsneerg
2008-12-01, 06:55 PM
Spider Jerusalem?

Google/Wikipedia is your friend which takes only 5 seconds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_Jerusalem

The thing is, this'd be very dependent on your DM. Would your DM let a paladin fall for drugs usage and swearing? I know I don't class them as evil, but I wouldn't discount everyone else as following my view.

However, a paladin must respect legitimate authority, and this may cause issues unless your DM falls for the 'well, I don't think it's legitimate' excuse. I think a Paladin of Freedom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofFreedomClassF eatures)'d be truer to the character.

EDIT: Ninja'd on the link.

Prak
2008-12-01, 07:27 PM
I'm thinking about using Paladin of Freedom, but I'd really like to try playing a true Paladin.

I'm also unsure as to whether or not I'd have him use drugs... it's actually not that big of a part of his character...

Finally, I think Spider respects legitimate authority, and defines it as "representing the interests of all the people". The problem is that legitimate authority doesn't exist in the City...

If Spider Jerusalem entered a city of Law and prosperity and happiness, and found a small ghetto where people were in poverty, I truely think his first response would be to make sure this was brought to the attention of the legitimate authority. If then the ghetto continued to exist, he would become more insistant, and eventually you would see the Spider that is in the comics, shooting the ruler with a bowel disruptor wand.

mabriss lethe
2008-12-01, 07:28 PM
The very thought made my brain pop a stitch.

but yeah. I'd second Paladin of Freedom, Though he'd probably be best described as a CG bard. Now you just got to get you DM to homebrew a "Brown Noise" bard song, named "The Ballad of the Bowel Disruptor". Carry no other weapons, besides a Chairleg of Truth

Prak
2008-12-01, 07:36 PM
It's funny... the Bowel Disruptor is the one major thing that can't be translated into a (LG)paladin... because it's completely and justly illegal... A paladin cannot use a weapon that is justly illegal...

However, I'm not sure any settlement in a D&D world would have pre-existing laws against a Bowel Disruptor Wand... only after Spider has been through the town...

Doomsy
2008-12-01, 07:43 PM
Cleric would probably work better and give you more room to be a bastard with within the alignment system. With some kind of permanent truth-inflicting magic on his mace.

Athar Cleric of Truth. Oh hells yes. That could work.

BRC
2008-12-01, 07:59 PM
The question is, how do you stat out the Filthy Assistants.

Thurbane
2008-12-01, 08:42 PM
Maybe the Gray Guard PrC would fit Spider's personality better than Paladin of Freedom? Although Spider probably is more Chaotic than Lawful, Gray Guard are pretty much allowed to curb-stomp baddies in the name of their code of conduct. :smallbiggrin:

Prak
2008-12-01, 08:55 PM
hmm... now there's a good suggestion... how early can a paladin enter Grey Guard?

Kris Strife
2008-12-01, 09:29 PM
hmm... now there's a good suggestion... how early can a paladin enter Grey Guard?

Having asked myself, I believe its 6th

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-12-02, 12:52 AM
Google/Wikipedia is your friend which takes only 5 seconds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_Jerusalem

It also helps when the topic starter give some information on what they're talking about rather then assume everyone and their dog knows what they're talking about.

Prak
2008-12-02, 01:14 AM
Sorry, I knew at least a few people here knew of Spider, and I have a tendancy to not give background because those who don't know what I'm talking about will either go look or not care...

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-12-02, 01:33 AM
Wasn't a shot at you, it was a shot at the person I quoted. While I am all for using Google and Wikipedia, telling someone to take two minutes to check it wastes as much time as pulling one's head out of their ass and copy pasting some info from said sites.

Dervag
2008-12-02, 01:44 AM
However, a paladin must respect legitimate authority, and this may cause issues unless your DM falls for the 'well, I don't think it's legitimate' excuse. I think a Paladin of Freedom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofFreedomClassF eatures)'d be truer to the character.Oh yeah. That would be good.

Are you familiar with the works of Hunter Thompson? Hunter Thompson was basically Spider Jerusalem, only real. The character was modeled after him.

Thurbane
2008-12-02, 01:48 AM
Having asked myself, I believe its 6th
Actually, it's 5th:

Entry Requirements
Alignment: Lawful good.
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks.
Special: Lay on hands class feature.
Special: Must adhere to a code of conduct that prevents the character from performing evil acts.

Prak
2008-12-02, 03:27 AM
So yeah, a paladin can enter Grey Guard at 6th level.

hamishspence
2008-12-02, 12:27 PM
yes, a 5th level paladin has the 8 Skill Points needed, and on his next level up he can enter the class.

bosssmiley
2008-12-02, 12:41 PM
Are you familiar with the works of Hunter Thompson? Hunter Thompson was basically Spider Jerusalem, only real. The character was modeled after him.

Perhaps better to say that Spider Jerusalem is Warren Ellis' fantasy of himself as Hunter S. Thompson. :smallamused:

Gonzo journalism + self-insert wish-fulfilment character + bowel disruptor = Transmetropolitan ("And lo, it was good.")

The question is, how do you stat out the Filthy Assistants.

Very carefully.

It also helps when the topic starter give some information on what they're talking about rather then assume everyone and their dog knows what they're talking about.

QFT. Context, or GTFO! :smallbiggrin:

Prak
2008-12-02, 07:59 PM
Perhaps better to say that Spider Jerusalem is Warren Ellis' fantasy of himself as Hunter S. Thompson. :smallamused:

Gonzo journalism + self-insert wish-fulfilment character + bowel disruptor = Transmetropolitan ("And lo, it was good.")
not that it's neccesarily a bad thing.... honestly, I'd love to be Spider, looks "fun" ...although, if I were spider, I wouldn't be... if you catch my meaning.

Also, I'm fairly familiar with Hunter S. Thompson, by way of Transmetropolitan, a teacher picked up on the similarity, and brought it up, so I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and recently picked and watched the movie.

Thurbane
2008-12-02, 08:19 PM
yes, a 5th level paladin has the 8 Skill Points needed, and on his next level up he can enter the class.
Ah, gotcha. My bad. :smallwink: