PDA

View Full Version : V's chart is incomplete

theinsulabot
2008-12-01, 09:00 PM
way back in the day, V made his comments of belkar's proto brain. a sort of reaction sysem that can create seemingly intelligent responses but only has a basic either/or system. namely, hate and lust. but there have been multiple exceptions to the rule. elan, unles belkar secretly has the gay (NTTIAWWT) lord shojo, scruffy (or there is something wrong with that) for a time grand larceny guy, and lately priest of loki. i propose that V had missed at least one and maybe two niche categories. amusing, which primarily appears to be an off shoot of hatred, in that belkar likes people that tend to piss off other people, such as elan and shojo always being there to take down a peg and "useful" which is a category given to those who for whatever reason, managed NOT to placed under the hate category, and prove immediately useful to belkar's pleasure, (such as CoL curing belkar of the mark and allowing him to go on his current killing spree) scruffy and CoJ occupy this niche, as two a lesser extent does hinjo, for freeing him from prison. though its worth noting that hinjo totters dangerously close hatred, prusumably for no other reason then he is a good aligned paladin.

thought? did i miss anything? flame on

Zeful
2008-12-01, 09:01 PM
Easy Answer: V was wrong.

theinsulabot
2008-12-01, 09:09 PM
a little TO easy....and not nearly as fun

Raging Gene Ray
2008-12-01, 09:20 PM
I thought this was about figuring out other targets of Belkar's Hate/Lust. Does he dream of threesomes between Ms. Butterworth, the Burger King, and Wendy (ya know, from the Wendy's logo?)

What the hell is wrong with that guy? Who thinks up stuff like that? A sick, demented person, that's who!

elan unles belkar secretly has the gay (NTTIAWWT) lord shojo, scruffy (or there is something wrong with that) for a time grand larceny guy, and lately priest of loki.

That's some good ol' fashioned, Lemon-party style make people puke up on their keyboards stuff there, captain! Fire up your Inkscape (or MS Paint, or Fireworks) and start postin'! Or maybe grab a sketchbook. The House of Horrors could use some pencil drawings...or sculptures...I'ma head to Arts and Crafts now.

Assassin89
2008-12-01, 09:29 PM
Belkar's mind could be more complex and V is just simplifying it.

Belkar does have hate and lust, but he also has respect and neutral

Ron Miel
2008-12-01, 09:41 PM
I think that his proto-brain has a set of check boxes rather than radio buttons. And there are more categories than V knows.

........[lust] [hate] [respect] [amusement]
Elan......[ ]....[ ]....[ ].........
Haley..... ....[ ].... .........[ ]
Shojo.....[ ]....[ ].... .........
Miko...... .... ....[ ].........[ ]
Durkon....[ ]....[ ]....[ ].........[ ]

etc

mikeejimbo
2008-12-01, 09:48 PM
Actually, I think he genuinely likes Mr. Scruffy.

Zeebiedeebie
2008-12-01, 09:52 PM
I think that his proto-brain has a set of check boxes rather than radio buttons. And there are more categories than V knows.

........[lust] [hate] [respect] [amusement]
Elan......[ ]....[ ]....[ ].........
Haley..... ....[ ].... .........[ ]
Shojo.....[ ]....[ ].... .........
Miko...... .... ....[ ].........[ ]
Durkon....[ ]....[ ]....[ ].........[ ]

etc

That sounds about right.

The Extinguisher
2008-12-01, 09:53 PM
Or, you know, V could be wrong, just being his usual arrogant self, or both.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-12-01, 10:15 PM
The categories each person falls into seem to vary depending on whether or not Belkar is under the effects of

Alcohol
Crushing Despair
Owl's Wisdom
Greater Mark of Justice Induced Dementia
Barbarian's Rage (Not shown in comic, but probably brings out the Hate).

So that table may need a few more columns.

Optimystik
2008-12-01, 11:57 PM
V's hypothesis was essentially correct at the time he made it. That Belkar's character developed since the chart was made is more of a problem with psychology itself rather than V's conclusions.

Hectonkhyres
2008-12-02, 12:11 AM
Does he dream of threesomes between Ms. Butterworth, the Burger King, and Wendy (ya know, from the Wendy's logo?
I've seen things eerily close to what you describe.
And I die a little inside each and every time I remember.

Optimystik
2008-12-02, 12:31 AM
I've seen things eerily close to what you describe.
And I die a little inside each and every time I remember.

Rule 34:

No. Exceptions.

Kaytara
2008-12-02, 12:37 AM
It's possible that V was NOT wrong and was right in the basics, but hir theory still needs refining. Really, it's what you call the scientific method. You make a theory that explains all existing known cases. If you learn of more cases that don't fit into the theory, you'll try refining it and see if you can still make it work before tossing it out the window.

Therefore, it IS possible that Belkar is incapable of processing truly complex reactions to people. His way of thinking is primitive, but still a bit more complex with a few more categories than V gave him credit for.

Assassin89
2008-12-02, 11:38 PM
V only got the hate part of Belkar's brain.
A more complex version of Belkar's brain

For females: Hate, Neutral, or Lust

for Males: Hate, Neutral, Amusement, or Respect

Roderick_BR
2008-12-03, 05:51 AM
Funny, I was thinking the exactly same thing other day. Belkar has at least a 3rd option for "useful people to keep around", be it to bully around, to help (healing, spells, the likes), or just to brag ("I knew I kept those guys around for a reason").
Maybe V's theory just needed more research for new discoveries.

Querzis
2008-12-03, 06:08 AM
Or, you know, V was always wrong. The proto-brain thing wasnt a joke about Belkar intelligence, it was a joke about V arrogance and never made any sense whatsoever. What is obviously incredibly flawed in the first place about this theory is that, before we even think about the fact that there is lots of people who dont fit any of the two category, Belkar barely hate anyone. He doesnt kill people because he hate them, he kill them because its fun and/or for XP! There is only 3 people we can safely say Belkar actually really hate: Roy, V and Miko. Guess what? He didnt kill any of those guys. In fact, he could have killed Miko but didnt because it would have been too easy. When Belkar actually hate someone, he seems to prefer to screw them up, he doesnt kill them he make them suffer.

Belkar was so damn drunk he could have kissed Durkon. As I aready said in another thread, I'm really surprised people ever took that 'theory' seriously. Just look at the Miko vs Belkar fight again, Belkar is a lot smarter then people think and he sure as hell doesnt have a 'proto-brain'. Even Roy acknowledge that Belkar is way too clever in : «his own brain-damaged way».

Taekwondodo
2008-12-03, 06:14 AM
V only got the hate part of Belkar's brain.
A more complex version of Belkar's brain

For females: Hate, Neutral, or Lust

for Males: Hate, Neutral, Amusement, or Respect

OK but i'm sure he kinda respects Hayley don't you think? Especially when she killed all the goblins when they were going after Roy's body. And i think the check box approach rather than the either/or would explain better coz then he can lust (coz she's female) AND respect (for her fighting attributes).

Ramidel
2008-12-03, 06:52 AM
Actually, I think he genuinely likes Mr. Scruffy.

...you know, that doesn't preclude lusting after him.