PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I hate belkar?

ABB
2008-12-01, 09:45 PM
Ok, after the little b-st-rd murdered the merchant on the road I said "That's it, he's gone to far, whack him."

And for a while I wouldn't have minded seeing the belkster bite the big'un.

But now that he's cured and back to his old self, with thet big, bright, brave smile of his, his cheery demeanor and philosophical wit and observation, I just can't hate him anymore.

Why is it so hard to stay mad at that little psycho?

Keris
2008-12-01, 09:47 PM
He provides comic relief in a story which currently has a great deal of serious points for the characters.

Zevox
2008-12-01, 09:51 PM
Basically what Keris said. As Belkar himself mentioned a couple strips ago, he's comedy gold - "the only funny thing left in this damn comic strip" from his point of view. Which isn't entirely unfounded, given he's about the only character in the strip who is still as care-free and with the same simple, comedic motivations he had back when the comic began (okay, maybe Thog qualifies too in that regard, but he's not as major of a character as Belkar).

Zevox

[TS] Shadow
2008-12-01, 09:57 PM
Not to mention he's the only one who isn't moping around all of the time. EVERYONE ELSE in the Order is acting all emo and depressed, and Belkar his is normal self (which in this case is a good thing.)

Child Conscript
2008-12-01, 09:59 PM
Ok, after the little b-st-rd murdered the merchant on the road I said "That's it, he's gone to far, whack him."

And for a while I wouldn't have minded seeing the belkster bite the big'un.

But now that he's cured and back to his old self, with thet big, bright, brave smile of his, his cheery demeanor and philosophical wit and observation, I just can't hate him anymore.

Why is it so hard to stay mad at that little psycho?

It is because his sexiness has got to you.

Zevox
2008-12-01, 10:09 PM
Shadow;5400998']Not to mention he's the only one who isn't moping around all of the time. EVERYONE ELSE in the Order is acting all emo and depressed, and Belkar his is normal self (which in this case is a good thing.)
Well, actually, that really only applies to V and Elan. Durkon is still his normal self, although granted his normal self is basically your bland LG Dwarf Cleric archetype, so that's not terribly interesting. Haley is her normal self, too - she already finished with her "emo" character development subplots. She's just in a bad situation right now. And Roy is as normal as he can be while dead. He just can't really do anything, which prevents him from being particularly amusing when we're focusing on events that aren't going on in the afterlife.

Zevox

newcresty
2008-12-01, 10:57 PM
also, "the only funny thing left in this damn comic strip" is Lord Shojo, not our beloved death lil helper

Warlord JK
2008-12-01, 11:32 PM
also, "the only funny thing left in this damn comic strip" is Lord Shojo, not our beloved death lil helper

You are going to take that back right now little missy. Death's Lil Helper is and will always been the funniest character in this strip.

Liwen
2008-12-02, 12:48 AM
Also, the Lord Shojo you saw back a few strips ago was a figment of Belkar's imagination. So technically, all the laughs you got from him adds to Belkar's comedy value.

Back on topic, I'd also like to add that Belkar is currently the most plot forwarding character in the story. He's killing a bunch of theives to go save Haley. Theives that are the most interfering factor in the story as of now. They are preventing Haley and Co. to retrive Roy's body and CoL to raise him by chasing after our heroes.

So now Belkar is a Sexy Shoeless God of War and Plot advancement.