PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy a car

Deathslayer7
2008-12-01, 10:02 PM
So, for those of you who know. I totaled my last car, and I'm now looking for a new car to buy.

I checked Craigslist(las vegas) as well as on ebay, and I saw some good price ranges that are within my budget ($6,000). Most of these were on Craigslist

To me though, it seems that people only put the good things about their car. No one mentions maintenance records (excluding one i saw), and I was wondering whether that might be a problem or not.

I also looked at miles but that doesn't give much indication either way. In addition, I looked at the year the model was made. I would prefer one not past 1998.

So to those of you who know cars, what should I be looking at when buying a used car?

Thanks. :smallsmile:

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-01, 10:38 PM
Research the possible make/model thoroughly. You'd be surprised at what you might find out that could really cost you down the road, like how Neon's are hard on struts *grumblegrumbledamnNeonsgrumble*.

If you can afford to, get the Carfax (or equivalent) history of each car you might buy. Those'll tell you about any accidents or major repairs the car has gone through in it's lifetime.

At your price range, you're probably going to be looking at some kind of repair at some point. I'd recommend, if you can, having an independent mechanic go over the car before you buy it. Definitely have one go over the car afterwords, hopefully you'll catch any problems before they bloom.

Felixaar
2008-12-01, 10:47 PM
I don't know much about buying used cars, but I heartily reccomend purchasing a Toyota Land Cruiser. That way, next time you have an accident, it'll be the other car that needs replacing, not yours.

Deathslayer7
2008-12-01, 11:17 PM
most of the cars i wanted to buy are not from dealerships, so finding a specific car is really hard.

some links are below at what i was considering.

possibly (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/941322976.html)

can't drive manual (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/941277686.html) :smallfrown:

this one i like since i did own a corolla. called the guy. he has a heavy accent but speaks decent english. a little broken.

I called him and asked for any maintenance records, but he said no accidentsor anything major. Just changed the brakes, oil and filters. Stuff like that. Not sure if it is true or not. (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/941112012.html)

this one i like too (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/941085584.html)

possibly. it's on craigslist, but links here. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Catera-2000-Cadillac-Catera-Loaded-with-options_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ150312840089QQsspag enameZRSSQ3aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3a101#history)

possibly. (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/941030093.html)

possibly. (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/940983389.html)

possibly. (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/940958506.html)

Krytha
2008-12-01, 11:46 PM
I'm not sure really. It seems a little suspect to be dealing with cars you can't personally check out. I know craigslist is full of people who run scams (some of my sister's friends lost about 1500 dollars in a craigslist job) - so whatever you do, make sure you have all the info before putting your hard earned money on the table.

Deathslayer7
2008-12-01, 11:53 PM
ah but i can check this out, and i will before i make any offers

de-trick
2008-12-02, 01:19 AM
id go with good old autotrader, would do a search myself for you, but not american, and dont know a zip code, so couldnt help you out unless you bought a car from Canada

also just sayin, if a high light of a car is a oil change, thats not the hardest or pricest thing(takes 15-70 minutes cost about $25)

out of ur picks id go with the Cadillac

snoopy13a
2008-12-02, 02:01 AM
For $6,000 you could probably buy get a car from a used car dealer which would probably be about as risky as Craig's List. I don't trust those lots as they tend to pick up the cars that the dealerships won't sell used. If you really wanted to, you might be able to put the $6,000 down on a new car with a five year loan. Buying from GM might work as they are desperate so you should get a good interest rate.

I think that your best option may be a three year old used car from a dealership (not a used car lot). If you take care of it, it should last 5+ years and it won't be as expensive as a new one. You'll have to take out a loan but with $6,000 down, the monthly payments shouldn't be that much.

Supagoof
2008-12-02, 02:22 AM
So, here a mechanics thoughts about your links. :smallwink:

Honda - Reliable and great re-sale value.
Toyota - Reliable.
Cadillac - Hit or miss for reliability. Nice features, plenty of "oompf", but repairs will cost you more.
Saturn - Hit or miss for reliability. Some I've seen have never had a problem. Others have had them at every turn.
Ford - The crown vic is a more reliable car of theirs (as it's used by public service such as the police). However, gas mileage will just plain suck!

So it comes down to what you want out of a car...
Good gas mileage? Civics and Corolla's do very well. Saturn's don't quite make the same mark for a comparable mid-size car.

No or low repair costs? Again, Civics and Corolla's do very well in the fact that they are very reliable, plus they are more common which means cheaper parts and repairs. Saturn is also just as common, but not as reliable.

Comfort? Cadillac for that. Saturn would be a more spacious car if you want interior room. The Crown Vic would definitely have the most interior space if you need a vehicle for driving yourself and others around.

Speed or Power? Cadillac again for that. More engine then needed is part of their philosophy. Crown Vic would be a close second (assuming it has a V8, the V6...meh.)

All in all, I'd go with the Corolla. It's one your familiar with (unless you're looking to change it up) and it seems to me that the dad asked his son to post it on the internet to sell for him (probably because dad is not net savvy). This means a car more like driven by "grandpa who only uses it to go to church on Sundays" more likely. Which is better then driven by young teenager any day. :smallamused:. Plus, it didn't list the fact that it's had a bunch of work done to it, which to me indicates a mechanic trying to sell a car they've reconditioned rather then someone whose just selling their old car. Not necessarily a bad thing, but still something to think about. (Mechanics who do this on the side generally do quality work, but it don't come with guarantees, where as someone whose is just selling their old car who isn't a mechanic probably has any repairs they did documented by the shop and may have a warranty on the parts/repair.)

If you do call to go see any car, get the vin#, then get a carfax report before going to see it. That way you'll know if the cars been in any accident (there are people who take totaled cars and repair them and try to sell as new...) plus the maintenance history of the vehicle. It's worth the money!

My two cents. Good luck!

Extra_Crispy
2008-12-02, 02:35 AM
I agree with Cristo Meyers, if at all possible get a history on the car then get a mechanic you can trust, obviously not the car owners mechanic, to look over the car and even if possible take it for a test drive. Some things cant be seen untill the car is started and even up to operating temperature.

I am lucky the most I have ever payed for a vechicle was 3000, but my father is a mechanic so when ever I need a vechicle we buy something broken and we fix it. The truck I own now (86 s10 blazer 4x4) was owned by neighbors of my parents. Their son blew the engine, they got another engine but he gave up on it and it sat in their yard for a couple of years. I bought everything for $800 and a total of about $800 more and it is a great truck. No AC but who needs AC in Arizona. :smallwink:

Deathslayer7
2008-12-02, 11:16 AM
my uncles is somewhat of a mechanic, so we were hoping to drag him along to check it out. :smallbiggrin:

Probably check out the corolla, then get a carfax history report on it.

mangosta71
2008-12-02, 11:43 AM
If you have the time, I recommend learning to drive a stick. You'll see better mileage, especially if you're doing a lot of driving in the city.

On those specific vehicles, I'd definitely avoid the Crown Vic. Those years were not very good for Ford in terms of reliability. Honda and Toyota are both good, Honda probably a tiny bit more than Toyota as Toyota tends to be more innovative, and the new things don't always have all the kinks worked out. And I had really good luck with a Saturn, until some stupid ***** decided to make a right turn from the left lane less than 50 feet ahead of me while I was doing 40. :smallmad: Don't have any experience with Caddies.

Since you've already said that you're looking at the carfax report, I figure you already know how good an idea that is.

some_other_dave
2008-12-02, 01:32 PM
One thing that wasn't mentioned; Honda Civics (and Accords) tend to be theft magnets. I believe the theft rate on them is noticeably higher than the equivalent Toyota models (or just about anything else for that matter, except Integras which are also Honda products).

If you liked your old 'Rolla, it sounds like that's a good way to go.

My own car-buying process is different. I get the "I wants" for a particular model, then take for ever to find an example of that model that is acceptable to me. I also don't mind working on the cars myself, so minor mechanical problems are no biggie to me.

If you don't get receipts for recent maintenance, factor $500 (or $150 if your uncle does the work) to do all of the regular maintenance right away. And I mean "as soon as you can get it to a shop". All new fluids (oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, etc.), new belts (including timing belt if applicable), check all adjustments (timing, valve clearances if they are adjustable, alignment), and so on. If there aren't receipts for most or all of those, you can try to use that to knock that $500 off the asking price... It may or may not work.

Good luck!

-soD

Deathslayer7
2008-12-02, 04:14 PM
yes well. I'm looking at the Corolla, my Mom is looking at Honda's. Three different ones to be exact.

But honestly, I won't be suprised if I won't get a car until after I finish school. Which is Dec. 12th for me.

mangosta71
2008-12-02, 04:19 PM
Talk the parents into getting you a car as a graduation gift, and suddenly your budget constraints disappear. :smalltongue:

Note: this only works if they are not operating within tighter constraints.

Deathslayer7
2008-12-02, 04:22 PM
note: im a college student. :smalltongue:

freshmen college student at that.

mangosta71
2008-12-02, 04:26 PM
Ah. Then I suppose it's not likely that your "finish college" comment above refers to graduation. I suppose it's possible that you meant "Finnish college", but it seems to me that it would be really cold there this time of year.

DraPrime
2008-12-02, 05:31 PM
Follow the example set by the greatest man on earth (Niko Bellic) and don't even pay for the car! Just don't get too many stars while you're at it.