PDA

View Full Version : Find me a media/setting

Gaelbert
2008-12-02, 12:22 AM
with sky pirates.

After playing Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, I feel like experiencing more sky pirates. Unfortunately, my options are somewhat limited. So far the only thing I've been able to scrounge up is my Crimson Skies book, and I'm near done with that. So, please help. What is a good book, game, movie, anything, that has sky pirates?

Eberron has a little of what I'm looking for. I like the whole setting of Eberron, both the technological/magic level and the general action/pulp noir of it. If someone can recommend good books in the Eberron setting that deal with airships and the like, I'd be impressed. Failing that, if someone can find a setting, no matter what form of media, that's like Eberron I'd love you eternally.

Keep in mind, though, for games I only have my PC, a DS, and a Wii. That, I'm sure, puts on a lot of limitations.

Double brownie points for anime.

Help, please?

WoWganker
2008-12-02, 12:53 AM
You can play gamecube games on the wii, right? Skies of Arcadia Legends fits your bill with air pirates, magic, all that jazz. It's an ok jrpg.

Liffguard
2008-12-02, 04:24 AM
Probably not what you're looking for, but it counts as media so I'll say it anyway. Airship Pirate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WrPWFn7e2c) by Abney Park is, coincidentally enough, a song about airship pirates. And it's awesome.

Satyr
2008-12-02, 05:28 PM
From a RPG perspective you want Earthdawn. One of the most underestimated Roleplaying Games ever. Where Troll Viking sky pirates fight epic aerial battles against flying fortresses and swashbuckling lizardmen fight against river pirates in giant paddle wheel boats. And true warriors ride on whooly rhinos in battles against blasé elves whose skin is pierced by rose thorns that grow from the inside.

I don't know if you can still get Earthdawn novels, and I don't know if they are any good, I have only read three or so (and they were decent, for RPG inspired fiction), but the setting is one of the best High Fantasy environments I know of.

zaei
2008-12-06, 10:40 PM
Probably not what you're looking for, but it counts as media so I'll say it anyway. Airship Pirate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WrPWFn7e2c) by Abney Park is, coincidentally enough, a song about airship pirates. And it's awesome.
Abney Park is made of win.

Stardust has airships, if not exactly pirates (at least, the movie does, I'm not sure if the book has more pirate in it).

Thiel
2008-12-12, 07:05 AM
Well, you could get the PC game Crimson Skies. Then there's Disney's Tale Spin. If you're into anime there's Last Exile (Not so much pirates, but they have flying battleships)
Kenneth Oppel has written two books called Airborne and Skybreaker.

bosssmiley
2008-12-13, 11:55 AM
Animu + Sky Pirates = "Laputa, Castle in the Sky" :smallcool:

Abney Park is made of win a bunch of Goths who found a new bandwagon.

Irenaeus
2008-12-13, 01:39 PM
Read this:
http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/16693/2526167100100752951S425x425Q85.jpg(Edit: and play lots and lots of Earthdawn)

Z-dan
2008-12-13, 02:00 PM
I echo bosssmiley's post- can't go wrong with Laputa. Thoguh that is only a film so wont do much for a long-term craving...
Looking through my rpg collection, I found one game with sky pirates... but its the one you've already played (FFXII) sorry :smallfrown:

Gaelbert
2008-12-14, 12:02 AM
Well, you could get the PC game Crimson Skies..

I never realized they had that for the PC You just made my week.:smallsmile:

Cheesegear
2008-12-14, 02:25 AM
Well, me, personally, I hate Skyland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyland), but, my little brother loves it. I'm not sure why.

It seems pretty decent at some points, and glaringly bad (and/or slow) at other points. Make up your own mind.

Thiel
2008-12-14, 06:08 AM
I never realized they had that for the PC You just made my week.:smallsmile:

No problem. It's a pretty nifty game and it shouldn't cost more than $20