PDA

View Full Version : Playgrounders I need your character concepts

ALOR
2008-12-02, 12:33 AM
So we are starting a new campaign and i can not come up with a concept i am happy with. i am leaning toward a human spell thief because the class looks nifty but i haven't really fleshed out his concept or really decided if it's something i want to play.

Honestly I am open to all suggestions, what are some of your favorite concepts for characters? Any concept you have always wanted to try? all classes are open, all races are open.

setting is forgotten realms, other characters are a human shadow sage, a human binder/mage and a elven crusader. and no i am not worried about being the party healer. I do want something that will mesh and fit well with the party. not looking for crunch or builds, just concepts but if it does matter it's 3.5 and we are level 3.

Thank you very much in advance

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-02, 12:40 AM
Characters I want to play before I can't find a 3.5 group anymore(note that some require GM rulings to play): TN Changeling Factotum Chameleon
LG Gnomish Cloistered Cleric of Kurtamalek
NE Eco-terrorist Pyromaniac Druid
CE Human Rogue with maxed Hide, MS, DD, Search, Open Lock, SoH, Forgery, Bluff, Disguise, Tumble. Who is insanely loyal and would never steal from the party. But would from an orphanage.
CG Druggie Paladin of Freedom
LE Hitleresque Bard
CG Tiny Wilder/Wild Mage/Fatespinner with a Rod of Wonder
LN Wizard/Archivist/Mystic Theurge who is impeccably organized, writes down everything, and sub-categorizes NPCs into groups like ‘to-kill’ and ‘bastard to kill if possibleTake any you wish.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-12-02, 12:41 AM
To be honest, the archetype I always go for is that of the paladin. A holy warrior clad in heavy armor delivering light and justice Arthurian-style.

elliott20
2008-12-02, 12:45 AM
Zousha, that goes amazingly well with your avatar.

Jølly
2008-12-02, 12:51 AM
A sorceress who suffers from amnesia and believes her magic is from the divine even more so than clerics?!? She believes she has some crazy insane mission from a higher power and can't be persuaded otherwise. Seems a bit dull...I'll come up with more. It was just something that came to mind in the moment. :smallredface:

SilentNight
2008-12-02, 12:58 AM
I heard someone mention this concept before. Paladin, possibly of freedom, who fights for equality, wears red full-plate and dual-wields a hammer and sickle.

Yukitsu
2008-12-02, 01:01 AM
Warforged monk kensai, with throwing/returning fists.
Old, crippled wheelchair bound man, who uses dex, int, wis, and cha to deal melee damage. ("So the old man's a psion of some sort, right?" "Nope, a fighter.")
Duel mace wielder (alchemical pepper spray, and a bludgeon.)
Shadow caster that stalks people Alma Wade style.
Communist liche of lawful good alignment.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-12-02, 01:06 AM
Zousha, that goes amazingly well with your avatar.

My avatar was made with that archetype in mind.:smallbiggrin:

Dogmantra
2008-12-02, 08:17 AM
I've liked the idea of a barbarian, rogue or other "dishonourable" class that insists they're a paladin, when confronted about this, they say "Of course I'm a paladin, can't you see my paladin holy symbol?" and just pick up any random rock or stick as their "Holy Symbol". Might not be serious enough for your game though :smallwink:

kamikasei
2008-12-02, 08:23 AM
I had a character I half-built but didn't get to play, and rather liked the concept: a fey-themed Eldritch Disciple worshiping Corellon Larethian, all otherworldly and ethereal.

OverdrivePrime
2008-12-02, 09:58 AM
I heard someone mention this concept before. Paladin, possibly of freedom, who fights for equality, wears red full-plate and dual-wields a hammer and sickle.

Bonus points if his last name is Drago. :smallbiggrin:

A character that I had a blast playing for all of two sessions before the game imploded was a Tarzan-like character. Luckily, we started at level 2, so I could pull off the concept right away. Ranger 1/Monk 1.

Some poor child, whose family is destroyed when their carvan is ambushed by [insert favored-enemy-to-be here], somehow manages to survive in the wilderness for (months? years?) before he is found and adopted by a kindly wandering monk (must have cross-classed early on to survive this long). Eventually the monk passes away, leaving the child only his teaching and a sense of (ethic).

I had a blast with this character and the brachination feat - swing through trees, sniping with my bow from the most unlikely of places, and then if enemies were dumb enough to close, dishing out generous boots to the head.

Not the most optimized character, but just a crapload of fun with terrific imagery.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-12-02, 11:00 AM
A Myconid Ninja :smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2008-12-02, 11:10 AM
So we are starting a new campaign and i can not come up with a concept i am happy with. i am leaning toward a human spell thief because the class looks nifty but i haven't really fleshed out his concept or really decided if it's something i want to play.

Honestly I am open to all suggestions, what are some of your favorite concepts for characters? Any concept you have always wanted to try? all classes are open, all races are open.

setting is forgotten realms, other characters are a human shadow sage, a human binder/mage and a elven crusader. and no i am not worried about being the party healer. I do want something that will mesh and fit well with the party. not looking for crunch or builds, just concepts but if it does matter it's 3.5 and we are level 3.

Thank you very much in advance

Lumi (Monster Manual 3) Dread Necromancer: It's funny because Lumi's are creatures of positive energy and and Dread Necros deal with alot of Negative energy (and Lumi's are immune to negative energy effects).

I just find it a funny concept.

Not optimized because of the whole LA and racial HD mixing with a caster though. But I just love the inherent contradictions.

And you know what, he wouldn't even be obtracized by his race: he didn't lie (that is like the only major crime there=deception).

Learnedguy
2008-12-02, 11:29 AM
You are the failed magician's apprentice Triple Eckses, who, when your life turned sour and you failed yet another cantrip decided to ditch this **** all together and become rich and famous by simpler means. Adventuring.

Now, why would you be such a stupid ass to risk your life and limbs in dark 10x10 foot rooms fighting against orcs guarding chests? Simple, you have the gift, or at least you think so. Ever since you was born, you were able to grasp magic intuitively. And when I say grasp, I mean literally grasp it. Like take it. And throw it around. And fiddle a bit with it. Stealing basically, although you liked to think off is as an artform really. That's the reason why thought to become a wizard in the first place!

Unfortunately it seemed as if stealing magic was all you were good for. Maybe it was side effect of your natural powers, maybe it was the result of your arrogant and willful nature. You don't know. And hell if you're going to waste time finding out! There are 10x10 foot rooms to be looted!

Triple Eckses is arrogant and vain. His magical aptitude has clearly made him he's something special, and he acts as such. With a heavy superiority complex and just a touch of megalomania he's set off to make a name for himself after giving up on wizardry.

Triple Eckses like flattery and living the high life. He's extremely competitive, believing that there's nothing better that being the best. Unfortunately, his egocentric behavior often makes him inconsiderate of the plight of others. When not behaving like an egoistic jackass he might be quite charming though. His one weakness is himself. Although he constantly deludes himself of his own greatness, his failure to become a real wizard is a constant thorn in his side (although he would never recognize it to himself or others). If faced with a real wizard he's behavior would probably be antagonistic to say the least.

Here you have your human spell thief:smallamused:

Suggested starting alignment would be CN or NE I suppose. Suggested development would be Learning to be a Nice Person or Becoming God depending where you want to lead his megalomania streak. Possible hooks would be Former Master and Acquiring Ancient Treasure/Power/Macguffin

PurinaDragonCho
2008-12-02, 11:36 AM
I want to play a barbarian who worships dragons. I'd take a level of sorcerer, then Abjurant Champion. Max out intimidate and take feats to try to make him more draconic.

The spellcasting would be mostly buffs or debuffs. The ability to throw up shield or dispel magic as a swift action, then rage and charge into combat is pretty cool.

Walk around saying things like, "If it is the will of the Great Dragon, we shall succeed."

Prometheus
2008-12-02, 01:05 PM
-A punk-rocking (bard) Gnoll named "Legend-Head".
-A member of nobility of a destroyed and forgotten city that is resurrected in the start of the campaign for historical purposes.
-A Dragonfire adept whose abilities are refluffed as flinging magic dust from bags. Bonus points if he is a druggie
-A Firefighter. Some whose life mission is to save people from disaster and fights only reluctantly. Either a druid or a half-gold-dragon paladin.
-A knight who challenges every renowned swordsman he meets to a duel in effort to prove himself the greatest. If he dies, he refuses to be resurrected.
-A traitor. Work the details out with your DM about how, when and why your character will turn on the others.
-A paranoid goblin.

Totally Guy
2008-12-02, 05:32 PM
I have an NPC who is a medicine man.

He has grey skin and blonde hair but wears a wooden mask over his face at all times. This is to surpress a rare illness he has been cursed with.

He travels from place to place looking for people with illnesses to cure in hope of one day being able to find the one illness he suffers from himself. He cannot diagnose himself properly due to lack of symptoms whilst he wears the mask and the sickness suffered whilse not wearing it.

He's a tricky character with the intention of everybody winning but when he might be within reach of a potential cure he becomes sneakier and more villainous.

Gerion
2008-12-02, 06:18 PM
In Forgotten Realms (best setting ever) i like to browse the faiths and phantheons and take a cool god and build a worshipper of him.
I want to play a sworddancer or windwalker from that book.