PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Archer (PEACH)

deathstroke50
2008-12-02, 02:08 AM
Did some mechanics work for a cool class idea Lorien077 had, and posting it so that she doesn't have to deal with forum tables :P

HD: d6

Psionic Archer
{TABLE="head"]Level|Base Attack Bonus|
Fort Save|
Ref Save|
Will Save|Special|
Power Points/Day|
Speed Bonus
1st|+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Charged Arrow, Reactive Defense, Psionic Speed|
1|
0 ft.

2nd|+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Evasion|
2|
0 ft.

3rd|+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Knockback Arrow|
3|
10 ft.

4th|+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Enhance Arrow 1|
5|
10 ft.

5th|+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Burst Arrow|
7|
10 ft.

6th|+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Energized Arrow 1/day|
11|
20 ft.

7th|+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Stunning Arrow|
15|
20 ft.

8th|+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|Enhance Arrow 2|
19|
20 ft.

9th|+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Improved Evasion, Keen Arrows|
23|
30 ft.

10th|+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Energized Arrow 2/day|
27|
30 ft.

11th|+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Seeking Arrow|
35|
30 ft.

12th|+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Enhance Arrow 3|
43|
40 ft.

13th|+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Scramble Arrow|
51|
40 ft.

14th|+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9|Energized Arrow 3/day|
59|
40 ft.

15th|+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9|Mindwipe Arrow|
67|
50 ft.

16th|+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Enhance Arrow 4|
79|
50 ft.

17th|+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Phase Arrow|
91|
50 ft.

18th|+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11|Energized Arrow 4/day|
103|
60 ft.

19th|+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Disintegrating Arrow|
115|
60 ft.

20th|+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Enhance Arrow 5|
127|
60 ft.
[/TABLE]

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier, x4 at 1st level): Autohypnosis, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Heal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (psionics), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, and Use Rope.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Psionic archers are proficient with all simple weapons, bows, and light armor.

Power Points/Day: A psionic archer’s abilities are limited by the power points she has available. Her base daily allotment of power points is given on the table and, in addition, she receives bonus power points per day if she has a high Wisdom score.

Psionic Speed (Ex and Su): While psionically focused and wearing light or no armor, the Psionic Archer gains a bonus to her movement speed listed on the table. As a swift action she may spend power points and expend her focus to gain her current bonus plus 30 feet for 1 round per point spent. This secondary effect is a supernatural ability.

Reactive Defense (Ex and Su): When psionically focused and wearing light or no armor, the Psionic Archer adds her Wisdom modifier to her AC as an insight bonus. As an immediate action she may spend 3 power points and expend her focus to increase this bonus by her level against one attack. She must do this before damage is announced, but can activate after knowing if the attack would hit. After expending her psionic focus to use this ability, she must wait 1d4+1 rounds before she can try to regain her focus. This secondary effect is a supernatural ability.

Charged Arrow (Ps): When firing an arrow, the psionic archer may choose to enhance the power of her attack. As a standard action she can spend up to her level in power points to deal an additional 1d6 points of damage per power point spent. This damage does not apply against creatures without an intelligence score.

Evasion (Ex): As the monk ability.

Enhance Arrow (Su): At 4th level, the psionic archer naturally imbues psionic power into her arrows. Every arrow she fires gains a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage. Note that this does not stack with any existing enhancement bonuses she might have on her bow or arrows. At 8th level, and every 4 levels afterwards, the enhancement bonus increases by 1, up to a +5 enhancement bonus at 20th level. Arrows with at least a +1 enhancement bonus count as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Knockback Arrow (Ps): Upon reaching 3rd level, a psionic archer can spend 3 power points to add a knockback effect to an arrow. If she hits the target, they must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Wis modifier) or be pushed back 5 feet in a straight line from the archer. The psionic archer may spend additional power points to push the target back further, each power point spent increases the distance by 5 feet. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the target's move, it is dealt 1d6 damage for each 10 feet it would have moved (rounded down). The psionic archer cannot spend more power points on arrow improvements than her level. For example, a 6th level psionic archer could add a knockback of 20 feet, 3d6 damage and 5 foot knockback, or 6d6 damage.

Burst Arrow (Ps): A psionic archer of 5th level or higher may change her charged arrow damage into a area of effect attack. This ability costs 5 power points andadds 3d6 damage, as the charged arrow damage. Regardless of if the psionic archer hits her target, all creatures within 20' are dealt the charged arrow damage, with a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Wis modifier) for half damage. She can still increase the damage this effect deals with her charged arrow ability, but other arrow effects still only affect the target.

Energized Arrow (Ps): When using her Charged Arrow ability, the psionic archer may choose to deal energy damage instead of normal damage. This energy damage affects the target regardless of its intelligence score. She can use this ability once per day at 6th level, and an additional time per day every four levels after 6th. Each time she uses this ability, she selects cold, electricity, fire, or sonic damage, though she may choose a different energy type each time she uses it.

Stunning Arrow (Ps): At 7th level, the psionic archer can stun her targets with her ranged bow attacks. By spending 7 power points the target must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Wis modifier) or be stunned for 1 round. For each additional power point she spends, the target is stunned for 1 more round. This effect can be stacked with her other arrow abilities, but she can never spend more total power points than her level.

Improved Evasion (Ex): As the monk ability.

Keen Arrows (Su): At 9th level, all arrows fired by the psionic archer are treated as keen weapons.

Seeking Arrow (Ps): By spending 11 power points, the psionic archer can imbue her arrows with a small portion of her intelligence. These arrows will seek out a target despite any cover or concealment (except total cover or total concealment) it may possess. This effect can be stacked with her other arrow abilities, but she can never spend more total power points than her level.

Scramble Arrow (Ps): Imbuing her arrows with powerful mental energies, the psionic archer can unhinge the mind of her target. At the cost of 13 power points, she may fire an arrow that confuses the target for 1 round per psionic archer level unless it makes a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Wis modifier). This effect can be stacked with her other arrow abilities, but she can never spend more total power points than her level.

Mindwipe Arrow (Ps):
At 15th level, the psionic archer can attempt to drain the thoughts and memories away from the target with her arrows. Spending 15 power points she grants her arrows the ability to bestow 4 negative levels. The target may make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ class level + Wis modifier) to negate these negative levels. For every 4 additional power points, her arrow bestows one more negative level. These negative levels last for 1 hour, so they never result in permanent level loss. This effect can be stacked with her other arrow abilities, but she can never spend more total power points than her level.

Phase Arrow (Ps): By expending 17 power points, the psionic archer can reach out with her mind and psionically sense her target. Imbuing her arrow with an essence of etheralness, along with her expanded senses, she ignores all concealment (including total concealment), cover (including total cover), and her target's armor. Magical barriers will stop the arrow, but nonmagical ones do not. An arrow fired in this manner is resolved as a ranged touch attack. This effect can be stacked with her other arrow abilities, but she can never spend more total power points than her level.

Disintegrating Arrow (Ps): Upon reaching the apex of her psionic abilities, the psionic archer may unleash a power arrow that can completely disintegrate her target. At the cost of 19 power points the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Wis modifier) or take an additional 40d6 damage. Even on a successful save the target still takes 5d6 additional damage. If the target is reduced to 0 or less hit points by this attack, it is vaporized and turns to dust.

PEACH appreciated.

Lorien077
2008-12-02, 02:09 AM
*Sniffle* Its so beautiful neat and tidy!
Now to hopefully make those reflex saves against the flames? :P
Thanks love.

Lorien077
2008-12-05, 12:55 AM
BUMP

Is this class that bad that nobody wants to say anything? >_< Could someone at least tell us if its balanced or not?

Limos
2008-12-05, 12:58 AM
I approve of the disintegration.

Disintegration makes everything better.

EDIT: Maybe you could make it a class feature that critical hits with the charged arrows will disintegrate as well? It doesn't have to add damage or anything, I just like disintegrating things.

I can't tell you if it's balanced. I'm just here to fondly approve of any and all homebrews.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-12-05, 01:02 AM
Nice class, actually.

It appears a bit disjointed at first, but it comes together nicely.

Every complaint I was thinking up was dispelled on a reread.

Lorien077
2008-12-05, 01:16 AM
Okay, glad it doesn't look awful to you two. Not sure how to get the disintegrate in on critical; the charged arrow damage doesn't get multiplied and I doubt it'd one-shot most things. I'll try to think on it.

KKL
2008-12-05, 01:57 AM
I have a bit of an issue with the BAB, Power Points, and the arrow's enhancement bonus not stacking with the bow, but those issues aside, this looks like a solid class.

Bhu
2008-12-05, 06:03 AM
Some Questions:

Why does Charged Arrow only work against opponents with an Int score?

How many of the various arrow abilities can you use at one time? Is it only limited by power points?

Why does the Mindwipe arrow cause negative levels instead of memory loss? (4 levels is too high btw)

Im uncertain about the power point costs cause Ive never played a psionic, but I'll peek at the books and get back to that in a bit.

Lorien077
2008-12-05, 04:59 PM
@KKL
First off thanks for the critique! The trouble is if you make the enhanced arrows stack with the bow enhancement, that could get really broken in a hurry.

I modeled the BAB and power point progression off of psychic warrior, but if you think it needs adjusting please tell me what specifically. Giving the class full BAB would be too powerful, and half BAB would severally cripple it; all of the powers (except energy burst) require the arrow to hit to take effect. Also without power points the class is either useless (all non-passive features require power points) or overpowered (no limit on how often the abilities can be used). Any thoughts on what needs to change?

@Bhu
Thanks for pointing out something that needs clarification.
Charged Shot only works against creatures with a mind; defined here as having an INT score. The extra damage is psionic in nature. Not sure if it effects things immune to mind affecting or not, but it probably doesn't.

The limit for power point usage is maximum total power points spent is equal to effective manifester level. I need to clarify this.

Mindwipe arrow is modeled after Mindwipe ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindwipe.htm ) Hence why it does 4 negative energy levels. It actually costs two more power points than the original formula (you should be able to do four negative energy levels by spending 13 power points), but since it is a powerful ability this is probably for the best. It does negative levels (from a flavor standpoint) because it essentially temporarily deprives the target of that much experience and makes them act as though they didn't have it for that hour duration.

Thanks for your imput and sorry for asking for critique on something you're not familiar with. >_< Though if you find psionics at all interesting you could probably do a hilarious psionic cat burglar PrC.

KKL
2008-12-05, 06:33 PM
@KKL
First off thanks for the critique! The trouble is if you make the enhanced arrows stack with the bow enhancement, that could get really broken in a hurry.

I modeled the BAB and power point progression off of psychic warrior, but if you think it needs adjusting please tell me what specifically. Giving the class full BAB would be too powerful, and half BAB would severally cripple it; all of the powers (except energy burst) require the arrow to hit to take effect. Also without power points the class is either useless (all non-passive features require power points) or overpowered (no limit on how often the abilities can be used). Any thoughts on what needs to change?

Taking a second look, nevermind on the BAB. At the time I was sleepy, so everything wasn't clicking right.

As for the enhancement bonuses, in my opinion, it'll get a lot more powerful, but far from broken as it'll be a straight + to hit and damage, instead of being able to stick things like shocking onto them.

And my thoughts on the PP "issue" is the same as the BAB, I overlooked it in a ridiculous fashion. :P

Draken
2008-12-05, 06:43 PM
Enhance arrow looks like having a greater magic weapon always active on your arrows. It is far from a problem, I would dare say.

I would also consider another capstone for 20th level. If you got to this level without Prestige'ing away. Truth be said, another +1 bonus is kinda lame.

How about a Reality Maelstrom Arrow? That would be all kinds of fun. Shooting an arrow that rips open reality itself and randomly throws the target and much of whatever is near him into another plane.

Lorien077
2008-12-05, 07:07 PM
@KKL
XD Yeah thought that might have been the case. Thanks for rereading.
I'll put the enhancement bonus for arrows things up to voting. Perhaps you're right, and since so many of this class's features are dependent upon those arrows hitting it could be pretty vital.

@Draken
Thanks for your imput! I thought it needed one too but deathstroke50 says psionics has a tradition of sucking at even levels. :P Regardless (if adding a class ability isn't too much) I was thinking of taking tornado blast ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/tornadoBlast.htm ) and altering it to be in a line. The flavor idea would be that the arrowhead would snag on the fabric of reality, resulting in a horrible vortex of death/doom. What do you think? I'm a bit nervous sticking another ability on at twentieth would be too much.

Draken
2008-12-05, 07:16 PM
Draken. One day I will find out why everyone writes Drakken. And then I will beat each and every single one of these individuals with a stick for every time they added a second K.

Anyway. It's twentith level. Learning a new spell/power/soulmeld/invocation/aura/breath weapon/mind weapon/word of true speech/maneuver/whatever, is not a problem. 90% of the classes out there get one of those at each level. Some get two.

Lorien077
2008-12-05, 08:26 PM
Sorry about that, I really don't know why, it just felt natural to type it that way I guess.
Well, I guess I'll try to work it out, ask deathstroke50 to put it in, and see what people think of it. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Bhu
2008-12-05, 08:36 PM
The Darth Puddytatses were a psionic class for the Cat Burglar :D

Overall I like the class. It might need some tweaking here and there, but you havent made any bad mistakes. Kudos!

Lorien077
2008-12-05, 10:23 PM
Right, how did I forget that one! XD

Glad that there weren't any big bloopers, thanks much. :)