PDA

View Full Version : omg, irony much?

Greep
2008-12-02, 05:31 AM
Okay so I just noticed this...

1.V gets angry and leaves durkon and elan because s/he can't contact Haley & co. due to their "interference"

2.Cleric guy contacts Durkon immediately afterwards.

Not only is that just perfectly ironic, it sets up V on the path to becoming totally evil (very prideful, won't admit this total mistake ever, separated from party while dealing with qarr).

Add on to this the fact that V will be the ONLY member not re-united, and his path to the dark side (if temporary) is pretty much sealed. Add on even more that given "Disintegrate, gust of wind" was obviously either a teaser or the real 4 words, and it makes perfect sense now for the 4 words to be the real deal because it directly causes him to not reunite with the order.

Trazoi
2008-12-02, 05:51 AM
I'm not sure I'd classify it as a mistake on V's part. It wasn't Durkon who did anything to initiate contact. It might be ironic when V's impatience delays the entire group re-uniting together.

I'd think V might get ticked though that Haley decided to contact Durkon instead of V. Even though Durkon's the logical choice, Haley is V's friend, and V in a trance-deprived state could take this the wrong way.

RMS Oceanic
2008-12-02, 06:03 AM
I think it would be ironic if the five Order members meet up, Durkon attempts to send the news to Vaarsuvius, but (s)he has cast h** own abjuration spell to block magical communication because (s)he doesn't want to be disturbed.

Nevrmore
2008-12-02, 06:18 AM
That's not ironic. That's coincidental.

RMS Oceanic
2008-12-02, 06:25 AM
It's Ironic because V is so determined to break through what's blocking h** mighty magicks, (s)he will have done the same thing and kept people from finding h**. Basically become that which you fight against sort of things.

And then Vaarsuvius was a Cloister.

thubby
2008-12-02, 06:39 AM
It's Ironic because V is so determined to break through what's blocking h** mighty magicks, (s)he will have done the same thing and kept people from finding h**. Basically become that which you fight against sort of things.

which isn't actually irony.
poor word, it is abused so. :smallfrown:

Nevrmore
2008-12-02, 06:43 AM

That's not ironic, that's coincidental.

RMS Oceanic
2008-12-02, 06:45 AM
Sorry. I was genuinely under the belief that becoming-what-you-fight-against was ironic.

It still could be if you accept that the definition of irony has Flandarized. :smalltongue:

Koshiro
2008-12-02, 06:57 AM
Sorry. I was genuinely under the belief that becoming-what-you-fight-against was ironic.
Actually it is ironic, according to traditional definitions, as well. Irony of fate. Hir burning desire to contact Haley&co. prompted V to leave Durkon and Elan, and this very action prevented hir from actually contacting them. Perfectly ironic.

Kish
2008-12-02, 07:01 AM
Add on even more that given "Disintegrate, gust of wind" was obviously either a teaser or the real 4 words,
Urgh. No. Every four words Vaarsuvius says are not "teasing."

Kaytara
2008-12-02, 07:35 AM
I'd call it unfortunate rather than ironic.
It would be ironic if V's leaving the party to search for Haley actually somehow brought about Haley contacting Durkon. But it didn't, Haley's timing was entirely a coincidence. After months of toiling, Vaarsuvius ran out of patience and left. Had the whole incident with Kubota happened a scant eight days later, V would've been present when the Sending spell arrived and thus wouldn't have needed to leave. It's an unfortunate coincidence, not irony.

factotum
2008-12-02, 07:48 AM
Add on even more that given "Disintegrate, gust of wind" was obviously either a teaser or the real 4 words, and it makes perfect sense now for the 4 words to be the real deal because it directly causes him to not reunite with the order.

Clearly those could NOT be the four words. The four words have to be spoken "to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons". Vaarsuvius was not saying those words to any being, he was just casting spells...and even if you consider that casting a spell means saying its name to the target, Kubota had ceased to exist as a "being" after the Disintegrate.

Kaytara
2008-12-02, 07:55 AM
Clearly those could NOT be the four words. The four words have to be spoken "to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons". Vaarsuvius was not saying those words to any being, he was just casting spells...and even if you consider that casting a spell means saying its name to the target, Kubota had ceased to exist as a "being" after the Disintegrate.

The OP DID say 'either a teaser of the four words or the real four words themselves'. It's quite likely that it was a teaser. Maybe not. It could, however, indicate that the four words are coming soon, if for no other reason than V having to do it "for all the wrong reasons", and I don't think V's current radical state of mind will last till the end of the comic.

Grognard
2008-12-02, 08:39 AM
No matter but i think now Qarr will give V the power because she said the four words. Even if the words were not actually said to him.

Hydro Globus
2008-12-02, 01:37 PM
Factotum has it right, those words weren't spoken to anyone, but this thread made me hope that wi will soon switch over to Vaarsuvius. Who cares about Belkar, really... *Hides. Behind lead*

Scarlet Knight
2008-12-02, 01:55 PM
Hmmm. V strikes a bargain with the imp. V then attempts to find Haley. She/he succeeds because the cloister has worn off, & becomes convinced of his/her ultimate power. Gets to Haley only to find Durkon already there. Does s/he then realize her/his mistake or become more convinced that Durkon was never really trying to find Haley? :smallconfused:

Greep
2008-12-02, 01:55 PM
oh dear, I've created a semantics thread! the horror! Wiktionary to the rescue!

1.A statement that, when taken in context, may actually mean the opposite of what is written literally; the use of words expressing something other than their literal intention.
2.(colloquial) ********The quality or state of an event being both coincidental and contradictory in a humorous or poignant and extremely improbable way.

So basically, I'm not wrong, but neither are you guys muahaha, funny how semantic arguments always end like. We need a new language where words have ONLY ONE meaning.

Urgh. No. Every four words Vaarsuvius says are not "teasing."

And that is definately teasing ;) The only four words spoken by V in that comic, said in a dramatic way, after a very dramatic action. People in the thread have convinced me its not the 4 words, but it is a very close call.

Finwe
2008-12-02, 01:58 PM
Add on even more that given "Disintegrate, gust of wind" was obviously either a teaser or the real 4 words, and it makes perfect sense now for the 4 words to be the real deal because it directly causes him to not reunite with the order.

Evil != Ultimate Arcane power. This isn't Star Wars.

No matter but i think now Qarr will give V the power because she said the four words. Even if the words were not actually said to him.

What power does Qarr have to give? He an imp, pretty much the lowest rung of Devils. At best, he'll point Vaarsuvius in the right direction.

Flame of Anor
2008-12-02, 02:01 PM
We need a new language where words have ONLY ONE meaning.

Le voici.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/lojban.png

hamishspence
2008-12-02, 02:06 PM
Even in Star wars, it isn't Stronger, just "Quicker, easier"

Hydro Globus
2008-12-02, 03:20 PM
Quicker, as in "achievable within a man's life". Yoda is of Yoda's species (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yoda%27s_species) you know... I love Finwe's last post :)

Vemynal
2008-12-02, 05:12 PM
no ironic is that Belkar chooses to stay with the group while V chose to leave it

Grognard
2008-12-02, 05:16 PM
Evil != Ultimate Arcane power. This isn't Star Wars.

What power does Qarr have to give? He an imp, pretty much the lowest rung of Devils. At best, he'll point Vaarsuvius in the right direction.

Yes! But what if he has more service cards, eh? He's from the hells.

Kish
2008-12-03, 07:17 AM
And that is definately teasing ;)

Well, if you assert it twice it must be true, eh?

Aergoth
2008-12-03, 07:28 AM
V wouldn't strike a bargian with Qarr without a sure benefit of some significance. IE. Not "Your soul for a donut"

Kaytara
2008-12-03, 10:55 AM
V wouldn't strike a bargian with Qarr without a sure benefit of some significance. IE. Not "Your soul for a donut"

While I agree that V probably still has enough common sense to at least try to get a good bargain, the Hells still have a lot to offer and V's in a particularly tight spot right now and might be desperate for anything that, in V's eyes, might shift the balance in overcoming the Cloister spell. :smalleek:

Optimystik
2008-12-07, 01:50 AM
We need a new language where words have ONLY ONE meaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lojban

FoA already posted the primary difficulty with its use, unfortunately. Xkcd wins again.

ThisIsNotDan
2008-12-07, 02:01 AM
Whether or not V's current predicament is ironic or not, we should all be able to agree on at least one aspect of the nature of irony:

It's like rai-ee-aaaaiiiiin on your wedding day,
It's a free riiiiiiide, when you've already paid...

evileeyore
2008-12-07, 03:09 AM
Okay so I just noticed this...

1.V gets angry and leaves durkon and elan because s/he can't contact Haley & co. due to their "interference"

2.Cleric guy contacts Durkon immediately afterwards.

Not only is that just perfectly ironic...

No the irony comes when it's shown the Cleric contacted "Same Sized Eyes" Durkon who is no where even remotely near Durkon Thundershield....

That would be ironic.

For this thread.

Enlong
2008-12-07, 03:24 AM

"No! I have to break the abjurations!"
"No Vaarsuvius, you are the abjurations."

Optimystik
2008-12-07, 04:46 AM
"No! I have to break the abjurations!"
"No Vaarsuvius, you are the abjurations."

You're doing it wrong! Cloister IS a type of abjuration, but demons and zombies are completely unrelated :smalltongue:

Gez
2008-12-07, 08:11 AM
but (s)he has cast h** own abjuration spell

Am I the only one who finds this savage assault on language annoying?

Three cases:
- You think V is male. Say "he, his, him".
- You think V is female. Say "she, her, her".
- You have no opinion or don't want to voice it. You can either use default pronoun (male, so "he, his, him"), or if you think this is too sexist use the singular they ("they, their, them").

All of the solutions I propose above are perfectly correct English, attested in many works of literature since Shakespeare. Things like "hir" or "h**" are just ugly abominations.

Optimystik
2008-12-07, 01:24 PM
Am I the only one who finds this savage assault on language annoying?

I assure you, you aren't :smalltongue: but as I said in the "hermaphrodite" thread, it's far too minor an issue for me to bother with trying to change others' behavior.

mikeejimbo
2008-12-07, 03:33 PM
So basically, I'm not wrong, but neither are you guys muahaha, funny how semantic arguments always end like. We need a new language where words have ONLY ONE meaning.

doubleplusgood idea bellyfeelful duckspeaker!

Flame of Anor
2008-12-07, 03:36 PM
doubleplusgood idea bellyfeelful duckspeaker!

I don't remember that last couple of words from when I read 1984...:smallconfused:

mikeejimbo
2008-12-07, 03:40 PM
They may not have been in the text proper, but they were in the appendix, also written by Orwell, at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Newspeak_words