PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy - full auto rules?!

Zen Master
2008-12-02, 06:38 AM
Well - the rules for automatic weapons are ... odd. Or maybe I'm missing something essential, which is wont to happen.

Ok - here goes: For every degree of succes by which I beat the difficulty, I get another hit. But I can get no more hits than the rate of fire of my weapon.

All good and nice so far.

Now - lets look at the twin-linked autoguns a gunservitor totes. They have a ROF of 20. As far as I remember, others have as high a rate of fire, multi lasers for instance.

Now how does that work? Even if my target is 01, and I roll 100 (with a reliable weapon, so that isn't a jam) I can get only 9 degrees of succes.

Or what?

Maybe if I'm firing my weapon at a campful of sleeping cultists (huddled together, so I have some targets within 2 meters to spend my hits on), and I'm decked out with targeters, at point blank range and so on, I might get modifiers enough to make the difference - but does it even work that way?

Kristoss
2008-12-02, 07:55 AM
No it's not possible to hit with all 20 bullets, however the RoF on a gun isn't just the maximum number of hits, it's also how many bullets are used up each time you use the gun.
I think of it as the gun firing so rapidly you couldn't humanly get all the bullets to hit the target.

Theoretically if you had Ballistics skill 100, you had the maximum total circumstance modifier of 60, and you rolled 01. That would make 15 degrees of success or 15 bullets connecting.

Edit: If a creature had the supernatural(Ballistics) trait they could hit 20 times. But such a creature would be superhuman.

Zen Master
2008-12-02, 10:00 AM
No it's not possible to hit with all 20 bullets, however the RoF on a gun isn't just the maximum number of hits, it's also how many bullets are used up each time you use the gun.
I think of it as the gun firing so rapidly you couldn't humanly get all the bullets to hit the target.

Theoretically if you had Ballistics skill 100, you had the maximum total circumstance modifier of 60, and you rolled 01. That would make 15 degrees of success or 15 bullets connecting.

Edit: If a creature had the supernatural(Ballistics) trait they could hit 20 times. But such a creature would be superhuman.

So it's not that I fail at comprehension (in this particular context). Well that's good :)

Anyways - the dual autogun on the gun servitor is more for show than actual use then, since it's ballistic skill so low.

In other words, high RoF is actually bad, because unless you have mad skills, you're just burning ammo.