PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Athaniar
2008-12-28, 09:58 AM
Give it up with the kobold pharaoh. I decided on pharaoh and randomly assigned a qualifying race and base class. I have no character notes for him and absolutely no need nor desire to assign him an arbitrary name.

So that means I can do it?

Please?

afroakuma
2008-12-28, 10:46 AM
Go right ahead.

Juhn
2008-12-28, 12:57 PM
Actually, I'd really like to see something on the Djinn Lord. Possibly in regards to how they're viewed by Genies. I would assume that would be "not highly", but it would still be interesting.

afroakuma
2008-12-28, 02:50 PM
That would be quite a trick, as Djinn Lords haven't seen any homebrew activity yet.

Keep going with ideas; I'll fill some requests later tonight.

Juhn
2008-12-28, 04:12 PM
So, we've got one (possibly two) Genie-blooded race(s) and nothing on the Djinn Lord yet?

Hmm.

Mercenary Pen
2008-12-28, 04:39 PM
That would be quite a trick, as Djinn Lords haven't seen any homebrew activity yet.

Keep going with ideas; I'll fill some requests later tonight.

I hate to say this but:

MORE HOMEBREW, FEWER SPOILERS (PER WEEK)

Juhn
2008-12-28, 04:44 PM
Shush, Pen! You're ruining his perfectly-laid plan to keep us docile while they drag this out work on it! :smalltongue:

Seriously though, I don't have any problems with your current pace, as I'm assuming the full-fledged homebrew will be released all at once.

afroakuma
2008-12-28, 04:47 PM
You are correct, the full setting will be released all at once.

Zeta's away on vacation and I have little time to do more than come on here and post brief snippets.

Rest assured, a fair amount of homebrew has been completed. Of the six advanced classes, the Djinn Lord is the sole one to have garnered no attention thus far. We have several monsters complete in both editions, as well as all of the core races and a great deal of the background and outline fluff.

Juhn
2008-12-28, 05:02 PM
The tongue emote was there to convey that I was joking. As was the white text.

Seriously afro, you're all good in my book.

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-28, 05:21 PM
I hate to say this but:

MORE HOMEBREW, FEWER SPOILERS (PER WEEK)

Why don't you sate your thirst for additional homebrew by critiquing what we've released? I'm sure I missed something, especially in the Sandshaper and its weird mechanics.

Athaniar
2008-12-28, 06:01 PM
What about Ak-Khyriash II the Magnificent for the kobold pharaoh?

Also, you said you ahd given him a base class. Can you reveal the class in question?

Juhn
2008-12-28, 06:17 PM
Generally he would be "The second" or "The Magnificent", and would not use both at once. But then that could be fixed as easily as putting quotes around "The Magnificent". Of course, it's entirely possible that there's a convention of formatting it exactly as you have, it just wouldn't make sense to me.

I suggest changing "Ak-" to "Al-". It flows better and it has precedent.

Also, afro, I have now started referencing "Your head cut off." and "You doubt my power?" outside of this site. I hope you appreciate all the confused looks I must be getting, since nobody has any idea what I'm going on about.

Athaniar
2008-12-28, 07:04 PM
Generally he would be "The second" or "The Magnificent", and would not use both at once. But then that could be fixed as easily as putting quotes around "The Magnificent". Of course, it's entirely possible that there's a convention of formatting it exactly as you have, it just wouldn't make sense to me.

Also, afro, I have now started referencing "Your head cut off." and "You doubt my power?" outside of this site. I hope you appreciate all the confused looks I must be getting, since nobody has any idea what I'm going on about.

Wikipedia reveals that several pharaohs had both number and title (Ramesses II the Great, for example), so I'll keep that. Also, "Ak" sounds more, I don't know, "pharaonic" than "Al". So Ak-Khyriash II the Magnificent it stays.

Zeful
2008-12-28, 07:17 PM

You can change the color of your voice?

Owrtho
2008-12-28, 07:22 PM
I really hope that was sarcasm.

I'd say it was closer to wishful thinking, but sorta right.

Owrtho

Juhn
2008-12-28, 07:37 PM
You can change the color of your voice?

You mean you can't?

afroakuma
2008-12-28, 09:16 PM
Also, afro, I have now started referencing "Your head cut off." and "You doubt my power?" outside of this site.

You're not the only one. I've been doing it for years. And I've known a synesthete, so it's entirely possible that I, at least, can change the color of my voice.

I've also had it spread to other sites by acquaintances. I do hope it evolves into a meme; it would amuse me.

I'd say it was closer to wishful thinking

Really? Why? Did you just prefer before reading that the father be a ghul, or was it after reading?

Zocelot
2008-12-28, 09:38 PM
It's not an unbelievable possibility that the mother was a crazed sorceress. That could also explain why she mated with the ghul in the first place.

afroakuma
2008-12-28, 09:40 PM
Sure, I'm just wondering why it would be a more interesting story that way.

Owrtho
2008-12-28, 10:25 PM
Really? Why? Did you just prefer before reading that the father be a ghul, or was it after reading?

No, based on the source (myths) there is more presidency for a female ghul mating with humans, mainly in stories where they pretend to b beautiful women, get married, live a seemingly normal life by day except they eat very little, then sneak out at night to raid the graveyards for a meal. Usually leaving the family in various ways when their nature is discovered (could be violent or non violent). It just seemed like it could have a more interesting twist if it was the non-ghul parent that was the problem and could lead to one of two interpretations:
A. the mother is some powerful evil human while the ghul father is either of an unknown nature (those outside the family don't know he's a ghul, if the mom uses pact magic or the like he could be the one she made it with) or he is rather peaceful and the people who know him don't care about his nature (with varying possible degrees).
B. The mother is a supposedly righteous slayer of evil who perhaps knew not the nature of her spouse (or was forced into submission possibly being the reason for her life as a slayer of evil) while those with whom the son (or daughter) talked are other ghuls or the like. And the child is with them in his (or her) viewpoint of how things are. Possibly considering her powers of good as evil due to a what many would consider a twisted perspective, or alternatively the mother choose to stoop to dark power to attain her vengeance against (or cleanse the land of) the dark ilk (perhaps the father and maybe the child in particular if the conception was not voluntary on her part or made under false pretense (as in the father portending to be other than he was)).
There could also be a combination of the two, but on the whole there can be a much more intriguing story if it is the father who was the ghul.

Owrtho

Juhn
2008-12-28, 10:32 PM
And I've known a synesthete

I know a few. I find myself oddly envious of them. At least, the ones I know have a lot of fun with it.

afroakuma
2008-12-28, 10:35 PM
In case you hadn't noticed, the father was surviving and imprisoned. Also, he was left with mortals to restore to health and there was a 0% chance that my first ghul lore would feature a non-evil ghul.

A is actually common enough as a story idea that I found it uninteresting as an avenue to pursue.

Once again you're seriously pushing the non-evil ghul thing. I'm really really curious as to why.

Myself, I kind of liked the Dracula-Alucard bit that I ran with.

Crabs Magee
2008-12-28, 11:24 PM
Lets get some background on the humans of this setting.

From what I remember, Dark Sun humans were different from the other humans, notably they were stronger, faster, etc, as Wizards created Dark Sun with strong Darwinian ties. Will we see something like this in Hourglass of Zihaja?

Owrtho
2008-12-28, 11:25 PM
I'll give you points for the Castlevania reference, however, here is a slightly more streamlined version of the father being the ghul without pointing out many possible variations. Also note that you said he was left in a lizard shanty. This does not mean he was actually left with people (could have been empty) or that they knew his nature (if there were people there they might have been deceived as to what the father was.)

The father was a rather average ghul with a generally evil disposition. In the past he had made a pact with a warlock who he since continued to remain friends with. At some point, he saw a pretty young lass and decided he wanted her. One night he caught her alone and overpowered her. She then had his child which she cast out while her hatred of him and those like him grew. For those who knew of what happened to her considered her tainted and she was unable to get a husband while her friends began to avoid her. Her child that she had abandoned was found by his father and the warlock who had returned to the area knowing it was around the time that he should be born and were prepared for such an occurrence. The mother meanwhile started training for her vengeance and soon fell into the darker arts in her reckless pursuit of power. The son was raised mainly by the warlock who he traveled with (and his father some when he was around) but grew up largely in the cities they went to on his own.
As he grew up he went out on his own and out of curiosity sought the mother who had abandoned him. She had by this time become a powerful user of dark forces in her search for vengeance but had been brought up short by a lack of means for finding the one who had wronged her. Thus when a half-ghul claiming to be her son appeared before her she welcomed him with open arms seeing him as a way to find his father. Taken somewhat aback by her ready acceptance of him (given she had abandoned him) the son was nonetheless taken in by her deception and soon got in contact with the warlock to let him know of this event.
Eventually he was again to see his father and innocently notified his mother of it. She waited while went and through her own devices made her way there as well where she waited for the right opportunity and hurried to capture the father and take him back where she could force him to suffer before killing him. The son realizing what had happened (and feeling more allegiance to his father than to a mother who had abandoned him and later only used him), went to free his father and in the process fought and killed his mother (as she died she felt somewhat glad that an end was being put to what she had become). His father was much weakened and could not travel far, nor stay in the city with his true nature being clearly visible. Thus the son took him to a nearby lizard shanty he remembered seeing. The occupants were asleep so he was able to quickly dispatch them providing his father with food and a place to rest. He then went to contact the warlock and let him know what had happened (and this is who he would be talking to in your version).

In this version the father is a (likely) evil ghul (can't tell for sure as he doesn't do much). The mother is likewise evil, corrupted by her thirst for revenge. The son prefers the father to the mother and thus kills her to save him (due to their roles in raising him). He is also likely evil due to the way her was raised which is most clearly seen when he kills the occupants of the shanty for his father. This would also show that ghuls need not act as a mindless evil and can have those they like or feel loyalty to. As well as some possible family loyalty (seen in the dad going to get the son when he was born). Sure it isn't a great story, but it is a quick throw together of a more interesting take on your fluff in which it is the father who is the ghul.

Owrtho

Juhn
2008-12-28, 11:29 PM
Well, personally I enjoyed that story as-written.

I don't understand why blatantly-evil ghuls are such a problem for some of the people here.

afroakuma
2008-12-28, 11:37 PM
Also note that you said he was left in a lizard shanty. This does not mean he was actually left with people (could have been empty)

Wrong. "they took good care of him" indicates that there were a "they."

This would also show that ghuls need not act as a mindless evil and can have those they like or feel loyalty to.

Yet again with the trying to lessen the evil of ghuls. Why? Seriously, why is this so important to you? I'm just curious by this point.

I never said ghuls were "mindless evil," merely that they are all evil.

Sure it isn't a great story, but it is a quick throw together of a more interesting take on your fluff in which it is the father who is the ghul.

I wasn't going for interesting interpretations, I was going for "drop as much inference bait as possible" and you went in completely the wrong direction. I all but stated that the mother was a ghul. Your story also doesn't cover "matriarch" or the fact that the narrator refers to her by a more familiar "Mother" when describing the battle, indicating that she raised him.

Alteran
2008-12-28, 11:45 PM
There's also a mention of claws, which make a lot of sense for a Ghul, not much for something else.

I repeat my desire to hear about that vast white expanse we saw on the map!

Owrtho
2008-12-28, 11:46 PM
I have two issues.
One, is that if it is a race that is not optional (to become one of) there should be no reason why there can't be members with differing beliefs (note that if you give a good reason why I won't have much of an issue with it). This point is gone if it is something that a person chooses to become possibly with certain requirements in personality (or even if they are forced to become it but only after their personality has developed and if it is of a particular bent).
Two, I feel that in large part good and evil is subjective and as such in deciding such things one should look at it from the perspective of the group in question. An example would be the difference in the view of suicide between traditional western culture (an unforgivable sin) and eastern culture (done to maintain honor).

I'll also point out that in the take I typed up the ghul was evil. I actually prefer them as evil (when viewed from the perspective of those who aren't ghuls). It is largely more on the principle that I am against any involuntary group that is entered before such aspects of ones personality are formed being uniformly labeled good or evil (etc.) without exception. If someone can offer a reasonable explanation as to why that is the case with that group, I am likely to be placated in that particular case. That has yet to happen in this instance. All that has been said is that there is a reason that can't be reveled. For all I know it could just be "because we say so". Thus I continue to be dissatisfied with it.

Edit:

Wrong. "they took good care of him" indicates that there were a "they."
That I missed. So I didn't take it into account.

Yet again with the trying to lessen the evil of ghuls. Why? Seriously, why is this so important to you? I'm just curious by this point.

I never said ghuls were "mindless evil," merely that they are all evil.
I wasn't trying to. lessen their evil their. I was referring to a statement you made before that they aren't "mindless evil". I was pointing out that that aspect was in keeping with what you had said. You also mentioned they can show loyalty.

I wasn't going for interesting interpretations, I was going for "drop as much inference bait as possible" and you went in completely the wrong direction. I all but stated that the mother was a ghul. Your story also doesn't cover "matriarch" or the fact that the narrator refers to her by a more familiar "Mother" when describing the battle, indicating that she raised him.
Well that was in response to your "how it makes it more interesting" question.
Also I'll point out that the time he spent with his mother in my take before his dad showed up is unstated so could have been a few years. That is also the possibility that in attempting to gain his trust she insisted he use a more familiar term.

As for the comment on the claws, I noted that she went to the darker arts. This could easily include grafting body parts or otherwise changing them. It was implied she went for the fastest way to become powerful enough to get revenge ignoring possible negative repercussions.

Owrtho

Juhn
2008-12-28, 11:51 PM
Ghuls are evil for the same reason Wights, Wraiths, Ghouls, Vampires, and other intelligent undead are evil. Do you have a problem with these Monster Manual monsters?

afroakuma
2008-12-28, 11:53 PM
I repeat my desire to hear about that vast white expanse we saw on the map!

Not telling you. :smallwink:

I have two issues.
One, is that if it is a race that is not optional (to become one of) there should be no reason why there can't be members with differing beliefs

It is optional. It is in fact this option that is central to their malevolence.

(note that if you give a good reason why I won't have much of an issue with it).

Well then, I hope you'll be satisfied with ours. I know I am.

This point is gone if it is something that a person chooses to become possibly with certain requirements in personality (or even if they are forced to become it but only after their personality has developed and if it is of a particular bent).

It is a choice available regardless of personality, but likely to be taken only by those who share certain traits.

Two, I feel that in large part good and evil is subjective and as such in deciding such things one should look at it from the perspective of the group in question. An example would be the difference in the view of suicide between traditional western culture (an unforgivable sin) and eastern culture (done to maintain honor).

They are notorious sadists and relish the harm they do and terror they cause in sentient beings. They are also averse to pain, harm and fear themselves, meaning that they are aware that they do what they would consider wrong solely for reasons of avarice, amusement or spite. So, yeah, they're evil.

It is largely more on the principle that I am against any involuntary group that is entered before such aspects of ones personality are formed being uniformly labeled good or evil (etc.) without exception.

They are not born, they are created by a sentient choice.

If someone can offer a reasonable explanation as to why that is the case with that group, I am likely to be placated in that particular case. That has yet to happen in this instance. All that has been said is that there is a reason that can't be reveled. For all I know it could just be "because we say so". Thus I continue to be dissatisfied with it.

It isn't "because we say so," and we've already intimated several times that the reason the whole lot of them are evil is because of the manner of their creation.

Lord_Gareth
2008-12-29, 12:03 AM
I just popped in to object to an above statement that undead are always evil - I have played a Wight Paladin, a Mummy Bard, and one Vampire Apostle of Peace that were all good characters.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 12:07 AM
According to their MM entries, from what I recall, they're listed as "always evil", meaning these are DM fiat cases.

And apparently I was wrong anyway, ghuls are evidently evil for much the same reason that liches are.

Owrtho
2008-12-29, 12:09 AM
Then I have no problem with them being evil. I do have a problem with all intelligent undead in the MM being evil. As for their creation. I saw nothing implying they were anything other than born as normal creatures until after the few days I was unable to access the forums. And then I was hurried to catch up so wasn't as attentive to detail. The first point that they are created through choice negates the need for a specified reason at this time (though if you want to give it I have no problem with that). The note on th "because we say so" was just to make a point. If it were a race that were born, then there would need to be a good reason and without knowing it I choose to doubt that it is good (until proven otherwise). I was not saying I felt that was the case with this, but it is a matter of keeping form.

Owrtho

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 12:11 AM
Alright! Glad we've got that cleared up.

Alteran
2008-12-29, 12:12 AM
They are not born, they are created by a sentient choice.

If you can tell me without divulging too much, would this be similar to a choice to become a lich or a death knight? Or would it be made for different reasons?

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 12:16 AM
It would be made for different reasons. Often cowardice.

Lord_Gareth
2008-12-29, 12:16 AM
According to their MM entries, from what I recall, they're listed as "always evil", meaning these are DM fiat cases.

And apparently I was wrong anyway, ghuls are evidently evil for much the same reason that liches are.

According to the MM, "Always Evil" has a 5% exception rate, so you can kiss my ancient, bony wight ass :smalltongue:

Juhn
2008-12-29, 12:21 AM
Really? I wasn't aware of that. Interesting. I assume the case is not the same for creatures with the Evil subtype, such as demons and devils, for obvious reasons?

Crabs Magee
2008-12-29, 12:23 AM
I restate my request for more information on humans.

From what I remember, Dark Sun humans were different from the other humans, notably they were stronger, faster, etc, as Wizards created Dark Sun with strong Darwinian ties. Will we see something like this in Hourglass of Zihaja?

Didn't feel like typing that again.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 12:25 AM

No. Humans are among the weakest sentients of Siraaj & Najmah.

Alteran
2008-12-29, 12:27 AM
It would be made for different reasons. Often cowardice.

Well, plenty of liches are cowardly. Death knights...not as much. Regardless, that answers my question to a degree. Thank you.

Lord_Gareth
2008-12-29, 12:28 AM
Really? I wasn't aware of that. Interesting. I assume the case is not the same for creatures with the Evil subtype, such as demons and devils, for obvious reasons?

Yeeeess and at the same time no. Exceptions exist for creatures with the evil subtype, but these are always the product of SOMEONE'S hard work and effort. For example, my CG wizard has a (currently) CN Intellect Devourer as her (improved) familiar. Her kindness and compassion to it when it wouldn't have shown her the same inclined it to show her mercy, and the familiar bond has since been strengthening its moral compass.

Succubi and to a lesser extent Eryines are prone to become good or nuetral due to falling in love with good or nuetral mortals.

And, of course, there's the redemption rules in the Book of Exalted Deeds, as well as the spell Sanctify the Wicked and items such as the Helm of Opposite Alignment.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 12:31 AM
I had meant outside of extraordinary circumstances, as I've read BoED (and don't really understand the vitriol it gets around these parts).

A 5% exception rate implies that a solid twentieth of the population are nonevil, and I would assume that would not include just extraordinary circumstances happening to each of these individuals.

Crabs Magee
2008-12-29, 12:31 AM
No. Humans are among the weakest sentients of Siraaj & Najmah.

That wasn't what I was asking. I was asking if they were stronger than the humans from other campaigns. In a hostile desert enviroment, the genes of the strong are more likely to be carried on, therefore resulting in a stronger 'breed' of humans. While the other species on Siraaj and Najmah way very well be stronger, humans there would be stronger then humans elsewhere.

I take it Najmah is the name of the alternate plane?

Juhn
2008-12-29, 12:34 AM
Either way their average stats would still function as the baseline 0 modifier. Unless they're about to start hopping campaign settings, I don't really see how it matters.

Of course, you could just be curious.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 12:34 AM
That wasn't what I was asking. I was asking if they were stronger than the humans from other campaigns.

I know, and I answered: No.

In a hostile desert enviroment, the genes of the strong are more likely to be carried on, therefore resulting in a stronger 'breed' of humans.

Genie genes kind of disrupt that process, along with a certain historical event. The fact that most major human settlements are in the more arable areas throws that theory off even more.

I take it Najmah is the name of the alternate plane?

Yes. Zeta spilled those beans a while back.

Crabs Magee
2008-12-29, 12:35 AM
I kinda am. But it could also make a difference. The humans could get +1 strength here where in other places they wouldn't. This is just a minor example, but it could be fleshed out in other options I.E. humans in the desert could be used and/or adapted so as to not need water as much as humans on, say, Toril.

EDIT: Bah. Afro responds fast. Just because human settlements are in more arable places does not completely destroy the theory.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 12:42 AM
So, from what you're suggesting average humans would get +1 as compared to the baseline, which is itself determined using average humans (for the setting)? :smallconfused:

Also, historical event you say? Why has there been no word of this in the teaser/spoilers? Or, to use DL terms, is it not quite as defining as say, the Cataclysm?

Crabs Magee
2008-12-29, 12:43 AM
EDIT: Nevermind, dumb, tired thought.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 12:44 AM
Because I'm a big jerk? :smallwink:

No, definetely nowhere near as defining as the Cataclysm or Avatar, etc.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 12:45 AM
Isn't that the function of humans, generally? So that the average human (meaning human commoner, since, y'know, commoner) has all neutral modifiers, across the board?

EDIT: well, the post that this was replying to was retracted, so...

Also, afro, you've sparked my interest/gotten my attention, though that was probably the point of mentioning it.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 12:48 AM
Yup. And now I abandon you all until tomorrow.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 12:49 AM
Well, I'm going to sleep within the next couple of minutes myself, more than likely.

Owrtho
2008-12-29, 12:58 AM
Yup. And now I abandon you all until tomorrow.

Gah!
Thats an almost 24 hour wait...

Owrtho

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 01:12 AM
Fine, I'll reduce it to... about 8 hours. Better?

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-29, 01:23 AM
Depends. Eight hours from then, or eight hours from now? :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 08:56 AM
The former, since I'm back now.

Lord_Gareth
2008-12-29, 11:43 AM
A lizardfolk, a gnoll, and a half-djinn walk into a bar. What are the racial animosities that turn this into a joke?

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 12:18 PM
Racist Joke

A lizardman, a furman and a half-djinn are shopping in the bazaar. Each of them is looking for the perfect gift for his mother.

The lizardman chooses a fine glass ewer with a porcelain base, to hold cool water. The furman and the half-djinn nod their heads.

The gnoll chooses a fine dreadwood chest, banded with red steel. The lizard and the half-djinn nod their heads.

Now the half-djinn looks all day, through piles of exotic fruits, jewels and precious art, then at last chooses a dented tin snuff-pot. His companions can't figure out why he would buy such junk for his mother.

"What do you mean, junk? We've been looking for Father for the past five years!"

Juhn
2008-12-29, 12:34 PM
That one got an actual laugh out of me. Should I feel ashamed?

Alteran
2008-12-29, 12:35 PM
Can I then infer that Djinn do/can live in some fashion of "lamp"? Or is this just a myth, one that the Djinn find offensive?

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 12:37 PM
Or (since you've asked this before) a shorthand:

Half-genies will usually come out the worst because it's so easy to make jokes about the location of one of their parents.

Half-ghul jokes are reserved for dark humor, and they often end with the half-ghul coming out on top anyway.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 12:43 PM
I had thought the purpose of trapping a genie in an ordinary object like a lamp was so that nobody would suspect that something powerful was in there. Is it common enough in this setting that there are stock jokes about it? Or perhaps just one famous occurence that spoiled it for any other aspiring Djinn Lords?

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 12:59 PM
I had thought the purpose of trapping a genie in an ordinary object like a lamp was so that nobody would suspect that something powerful was in there.

The gnoll and the lizardman certainly didn't suspect anything.

Is it common enough in this setting that there are stock jokes about it?

Trapped genies? Yes.

Or perhaps just one famous occurence that spoiled it for any other aspiring Djinn Lords?

Djinn Lords use more reliable methods than the classic brass lamp. And I suddenly have my Djinn Lord concept.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 12:59 PM
EDIT: Oh, it did go through. I'll delete this as soon as it lets me.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 01:00 PM
Look up. :smalltongue:

Juhn
2008-12-29, 01:02 PM
Yeah, the forums are giving me trouble at the moment.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 01:34 PM
I've noticed. And once again have no idea why.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 01:40 PM
Djinn Lords use more reliable methods than the classic brass lamp.

Does this mean they've seen some work?

And I suddenly have my Djinn Lord concept.

Evidently they're about to. I eagerly await what this produces.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 01:52 PM
No work yet (since I'm at work) but I have a foundation in mind now.

Which produced some sterling results for MotW and Pharaoh. I love the Pharaoh's main ability. It makes me grin at the simple elegance of it.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 02:03 PM
I should probably figure out which PrC my previously-posted Lizardman might want to head into. Any suggestions as to what would fit?

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 02:10 PM
Hmm... process of elimination will be needed.

MotW: No. Hermeticism and solitude don't show much loyalty to the greater lizardfolk race.

Djinn Lord: No.

Pharaoh: No. His values and beliefs would put him at odds with mainstream lizardfolk society, and I can't see him having the Charisma to pull this off.

Geomancer: Maybe. If he's spiritual it could work.

Alchemist: Probably not. Perhaps if he worked with some seriously darkside components, but generally alchemists are a bit on the wacky side.

Dervish: Bingo. Devotion, smiting, wrath, there's your winner.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 02:18 PM
His values and beliefs are at odds with mainstream lizardfolk society?

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 02:28 PM
Loyalty to the race at the expense of other races?

Extreme hatred of other races?

If he's willing to deprive the rest of the world of water or food to protect lizardfolk interests only, then definetely yes.

Lizardfolk are community-oriented. They integrate members of other races into their community. Xenophobia is not their style. Also, a strongly opinionated lizardman such as this would likely veer away from sagacious charisma and into demagogy, which...

Juhn
2008-12-29, 02:33 PM
Ah, well, that concept was posted before I knew anything about how Lizardfolk society works, IIRC. It may need some revision.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 02:37 PM
Lizardfolk are less likely to be pharaohs at any rate.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 02:40 PM
I wasn't so much suggesting that he be a pharaoh, I just meant that if his entire philosophy is built around being loyal to his people and doing what he can to make life better for them then if his beliefs run counter to those of lizardfolk society something needs to be fixed.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 02:47 PM
Whereas I just meant that if his entire philosophy is based around a feeling of racial superiority to the deliberate detriment of others, then he's the one in the wrong.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 02:55 PM
...If that's how the concept came across then I did something wrong.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 02:59 PM
Distrustful of other races, would only work with them for the good of his people, and willing to do literally anything for his race, were among your description.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 03:20 PM
Alright, the distrustful thing was there, I'll grant you that, though I only meant that he was slow to give trust in general, considering his sense of loyalty is absolute. He has to make sure they deserve it first. He is somewhat more inclined to trust lizardfolk more easily, but that's because he knows how their values work and he's used to them, not to mention, well, he is one.

He's willing to work for them for other reasons, he's just gonna look out for those he feels obligated to due to his loyalty. He's not about to completely shaft the people he's working with, as that's betrayal and since he's all about loyalty he doesn't work that way.

Yes, he is willing to do anything for those he's loyal to, but he's not one to betray the values of his people. I'm pretty sure treating other people like dirt counts as betraying his people's values, so I'm not sure where you're getting that.

He has no notion that his people are better than any other people, he just has a strong sense of loyalty to them and their values.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 03:24 PM
Alright, in that case, my answer is:

The same. Dervish is the only one that really fits.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I figured. I was just trying to fix anything that would make him a lizardfolk who's absolutely loyal to lizardfolk values, but then doesn't follow them himself, because that would just be stupid.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 03:38 PM
Ah, you never know. The Operative from Serenity followed a similar track.

Further questions? Lore requests?

Juhn
2008-12-29, 03:47 PM
Yeah, but then, he was a villain, and I've got no interest in playing a misguided fool.

You already know my lore request. I can has Genies and Djinn Lords plz?

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 03:57 PM
That would be a no. I only just crafted a basic idea, and I have to tinker with it before I go spouting canon.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 04:11 PM
What, you're telling me this stuff is not subject to change without notice?

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 04:13 PM
Nope. With notice, perhaps, but I'm trying to keep it all legit.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 04:20 PM
Even the stuff you make up on the spot?

I'll commend you if you can manage to pull this off.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 04:25 PM
Yes, which is why I drop restrictions in the first place.

Any other requests?

Juhn
2008-12-29, 04:31 PM
Alright, since my character fits the mold of a Dervish most closely - or so you keep telling me - let's get something on them.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 04:33 PM
Er... you did look at the spoiler, yes?

The Dervish class, in full, is there.

Athaniar
2008-12-29, 04:36 PM
Will there be (Egyptian-style) pyramids? If so, will they serve basically the same purpose as in ancient Egypt (pharaonical tombs)?

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 04:38 PM
There will definetely be tombs and non-Egyptian-style pyramids (read: ziggurats). Someone may want to drop in a pyramid or two, but whether it would serve its original function or a more interesting one is still up in the air.

Zocelot
2008-12-29, 04:48 PM
You should spoiler all the information in the first post. That way, we don't have to search through pages and pages trying to find what we want.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 04:55 PM
The Dervish crunch is there, I was asking for an example. And at least, if I don't end up using the Druid version, I doubt this character really firs the religious flavour.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 04:59 PM
...you want me to provide an example of your character as a dervish, or you want me to do a Lore on a dervish?

Either way, you'll be waiting about 20 minutes. Leaving work!

Juhn
2008-12-29, 05:06 PM
Well, I'd meant the second one, but the first one sounds cool too.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 05:21 PM
Correction: a bit longer, since I'm going to the store for a moment.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 05:56 PM
I don't see how the Lore for a dervish will help in any way that the self-contained description didn't.

Zeful
2008-12-29, 06:05 PM
Will there be (Egyptian-style) pyramids? If so, will they serve basically the same purpose as in ancient Egypt (pharaonical tombsadventure sights)?

I feel the need to point out this is D&D.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 06:26 PM
I mostly just wanted to hear a story about a dervish.

That other option is good too.

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 07:25 PM
The Devotion of Skartoth

It was in the first century of Babalarud, before it was the City of Gates. Now at this time, the city was small and without walls, and its warriors had gone south to the Sufa Madraba.

The city was under the protection of Johoum, and his temple held a lone, mad hermit pledged to the fierce, punishing sun god. When warriors from the west came, they sought to sack the city and deliver it from Johoum to the worship of their blood goddess.

The goddess' warriors approached as one, twenty men and four priests, astride steppe-bred horses of Yan. As they came to the first of the adobes, delivering the message of the blood goddess, the disciple of Johoum stepped forth.

The first rider came fast - and was blown away with a swish of the hermit's morningstar. Two more came forward, screaming a fierce battle cry - and fell screaming to deft blows.

Then Johoum's priest started his stride of slaying, and the cruel flames of his lord whipped the onrushing warriors and scoured the flesh from their bones. The priests of the blood goddess grasped at him with hands of flensing blight, only to be torn apart by the rending spikes of Johoum's fist.

Finally, only the archpriest remained, and he summoned the wrathful blood of his dead slaves to wake them from the Judgment to take vengeance. But the authority of dread Johoum went with his servant, and as the morningstar struck, the archpriest died instantly.

In less than two minutes, it was done. The blood goddess faltered and fled the West, and from the iron of the foemen's weapons did Johoum raise the first gates of Babalarud.

Juhn
2008-12-29, 10:22 PM
That one was pretty cool.

I wonder where Balbarud is located, or if it even still existed at the time that map was made (as I'm assuming it's set at a particular time).

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 10:59 PM
Hey now, they're all pretty cool. Except the racist joke. Only a real jerk laughs at that. :smalltongue:

Juhn
2008-12-29, 11:14 PM
Well, yeah, they all are, but I figured I'd offer a few words of encouragement.

And tell me you didn't think that joke was humorous while you were writing it. :smalltongue:

Alteran
2008-12-29, 11:34 PM
Hey now, they're all pretty cool. Except the racist joke. Only a real jerk laughs at that. :smalltongue:

Maybe I'm a jerk in-character. :smallwink:

afroakuma
2008-12-29, 11:53 PM
Of course I thought it was funny. I never said I wasn't a jerk.
I did say that I was the unofficial villain of this thread; certainly the PR scapegoat.
:smallbiggrin:

Juhn
2008-12-30, 12:02 AM
Ah. I suppose the constant threats of decapitation might have been a clue.

Alteran
2008-12-30, 12:16 AM
Your lamp cut off.

Mercenary Pen
2008-12-30, 05:03 AM
Your lamp cut off.

Surely that would be tantamount to setting the genie free- and thus not a worthwhile threat?

vegetalss4
2008-12-30, 07:02 AM
wouldn't it be all right as a threat, if we assume that Afro aren't a genie. as it then suggest that he will lose a valuable resource?

Purple Tentacle
2008-12-30, 07:25 AM
This is a very visually rich world and occasionally I get the urge to draw some aspect from it. Tried drawing a Gnoll, not the easiest thing ever. Oh and a bird/dog creature.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/sin01/gnoll.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/sin01/birddog.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/sin01/Masterofthewastes.jpg

Don't have anything more to add but would like to hear some more about Gnoll culture, stories, or some background information on any noteworthy Gnoll npcs.

Zeta Kai
2008-12-30, 10:55 AM
This is a very visually rich world and occasionally I get the urge to draw some aspect from it. Tried drawing a Gnoll, not the easiest thing ever. Oh and a bird/dog creature.

I'm not sure about the gnoll, & the MotW is Afro's territory, but I must say that the Chamrosh sketch is spot-on perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. Do you mind if we use that image for the project? BTW, I'm back.

afroakuma
2008-12-30, 11:18 AM
Sheesh. First day back and he's trying to steal stuff. :smalltongue:

Zeta Kai
2008-12-30, 04:12 PM
Sheesh. First day back and he's trying to steal stuff. :smalltongue:

What can I say? :smallbiggrin:

Oh yeah, I can say there's a note back at HQ & a few PM's that I need feedback on. I can always say that.

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-30, 04:46 PM
Zeta! Feedback Accomplished back at HQ!

Purple Tentacle
2008-12-30, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure about the gnoll, & the MotW is Afro's territory, but I must say that the Chamrosh sketch is spot-on perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. Do you mind if we use that image for the project? BTW, I'm back.

Well sure you can. But you better use this cleaned up version if your gonna use it.

Are you guys considering putting a PDF together for this setting? I would love to see a well presented PDF with all the pictures and information working together.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/sin01/birddogfinal.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/sin01/lizard.jpg

Zeta Kai
2008-12-31, 07:20 PM
We will be compiling a PDF, but only after the entire project is complete & fully posted.

I love the drawings, PT. Again, the lizardfolk are not my turf, but I think both sketches are high-quality. I will be using the chamrosh drawing, & I personally like the lizardman, too. Please, keep up the great work.

Zeta Kai
2008-12-31, 07:26 PM
The Scribe’s Journal
It was supposed to be a simple trading assignment, something to fatten the satchels of Aldurba, the merchant prince who commissioned this trip. It was supposed to be simple, boring, & profitable. We were supposed to survive.

We were barely 50 miles out from Zurqim, our starting point, when a mule broke its leg. The three clerics could not agree on whether to pray to Limalia, Umaj, or Adimas for a safe journey. I couldn’t care less which god they begged to, for I believed in none of them. The only thing I believed in was the fact that the mule had broken its left hind leg, & that was an ill omen for the whole caravan.

Sure enough, not a week later, a dust storm swept over us just after we left Dajajah. Sand storms are not supposed to be this strong so near to the coast, so its intensity caught us off-guard. The alchemist & his son were whisked away while trying to tie down their wares, & the alchemist’s wife screamed a vile curse at us before running into the tempest. We never saw any of them again.

The very next night, the dervish’s second wife was slaughtered by an almasti. It was I who found her empty body, & I still cannot speak of it. The dervish left to avenge his young wife & unborn child. He was gone for so long that we assumed he had been lost as well, but he caught up with us at the city of Mamluk. He claimed that he was victorious, & he had an almasti’s head with him, but he must have traded it for an eye & a hand. His victory was hard-won indeed.

After Mamluk, we were hit by another sandstorm, which drove us off-course, deeper into the Sahra Basit, the Arid Plains. We lost more water than we planned, as well as our best guide, for he was killed by a pair o–

NOTE: This portion of the journal is illegible, as the next several pages are torn to shreds.

I don’t know how we made it to Raqam. Nine men & four women have been lost, out of an original 45 caravan members. The merchants are determined to go on, despite the many misfortunes. I told them that I was not going to continue to Nahraldikh, our ultimate destination. The Red Sands are between us & Nahraldikh, & I doubt we will make it through the Ral Zadi alive. The merchants implored me to stay, & they offered to double my travel fee. I fear that I may have been a fool to agree.

Shortly after we set out from Raqam, another guide was killed. He was attempting to negotiate with the Camelotaurs, when he somehow offended them & was hit by several arrows. We think that he may have angered them by drinking from his water flask without offering them any, but we cannot be sure. Negotiations did not continue & we moved on swiftly.

NOTE: This portion of the journal is illegible, as the next page is missing.

The caravan is in disarray. The merchant prince is dead, & his fellow merchants are mad with fear & despair. Our remaining guides have left us, claiming that the caravan is cursed. We are low on food, our water is nearly gone, our last cleric killed himself, & the merchants wail about their profit margins. They are fools, & I wish them ill.

If we make it to Rizaj, I will leave this caravan. I no longer care how much they promise to pay me. A sultan’s treasures could not persuade me to –

NOTE: This portion of the journal is illegible, as the next couple of pages are stained darkly.

The ghuls said that they would return for the rest of us. There are only five of us left, after their last slaughter. I cannot hope to escape their wrath with my leg twisted & broken as it is. My death will be upon me soon, with red eyes & long teeth.

The others blame the alchemist’s wife for cursing us, but I know the real reason for our bad luck. I should have read the signs better, & heeded them. A wiser man would have seen the mule’s broken leg as the portent of doom that it was. It was the beast’s left hind leg, after all. I should have turned back to Zurqim then & there.

I shall miss my wife, & my daughters as well. I love them, & hope that they may forgive some day for not returning to them.

I hear the ghuls. They have returned. I know that I will not be –

NOTE: The journal ends there. This book was found on top of a dune, tattered & worn, 20 miles west of Rizaj. No other items were found near the book, & no tracks led to or from the spot where it was recovered. Marqud the Scribe did not date his journal, so it is not certain when this ill-fate journey took place, but caravans have not come to Nahraldikh from as far as Zurqim in many years.

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-31, 10:15 PM
From the journal of Khart Rajiind, Banker.

I was going about my business as usual at the bank. I had just come from an argument with my parents the previous night. They had been fighting with me once again about my choice of profession. My people see no need for bankers. Their lack of organization often disheartens me.

Their squabble with me did not dishearten me as much as the events of this day, however. I had just finished counting the gold pieces of our great and wonderful pharaoh when the most unexpected event happened. A man, clad in gaudy clothing and wearing a foppish hat, walked into the bank. But he did not use the door. He walked in through the wall! I was immediately terrified. He asked my superior Amadj where the vault containing the money I had just so painstakingly counted was located. When the kobold refused to give him the information, a rapier materialized out of the sand on the floor by the door. It flew through the air and struck Amadj down in one fell swoop. It disintegrated back into a pile of sand.

The man reiterated his query to the staff at large. The two bullyblades we hired to protect the bank charged the man. He met their assault head on, rapiers materializing in each of his hands out of the sand around him. He parried the first man’s sword, then turned around him and used him as a shield to stop the seeking blade of the aazlai. The large man attacked him viciously and his aazlai companion moved around behind into a flanking position. The man struck the thief’s sword, which fell apart into nothing. Whooping in triumph, he struck again… only to find that he had impaled himself on a newly materialized dagger. The aazlai took the opportunity to drive his blade into the thief’s back. And caught nothing but sand. The man had dissolved into a pile of sand!

He soon reassembled himself behind the confused warrior and stabbed him viciously in the back. Dervishes from the local temple of Johoum arrived, noticing the catastrophe at hand. They drew their scimitars menacingly. And were promptly blasted to bits by a fireball launched from a wand the outlaw had magically procured.

“Where can I find the vault?” he asked once more, allowing his weapons to simply fall apart in his hands, thus cleaning them of blood. We all simultaneously pointed him in the right direction. As he headed down the hall I followed. And by the time I had arrived at the safe and opened it, he was gone… as were the twenty thousand, two-hundred and fifty three gold pieces I had so pain stakingly counted.

afroakuma
2008-12-31, 10:18 PM
Ahh... the lazy, it has blessed me.

Zeta Kai
2008-12-31, 11:15 PM
Ahh... the lazy, it has blessed me.

We weren't accusing you of being lazy, AA. We just don't want to let you be the only one having fun. Writing lore is a treat, so I hope that you're off somewhere, cranking out crunch for us.

As for the rest of you, what inferences/speculations can you make from our latest stories?

afroakuma
2008-12-31, 11:38 PM
I'm accusing me of being lazy. Lore-wise, at least. :smallbiggrin:

Crunch-wise, things are still moving along.

Reverent-One
2009-01-01, 12:18 AM
As for the rest of you, what inferences/speculations can you make from our latest stories?

Sandshapers are badass, and don't go on a caravan if a pack animal breaks a left hind leg.

Juhn
2009-01-01, 12:34 AM
I'm assuming that was a very high-level Sandshaper, and those were some very low-level Dervishes.

afroakuma
2009-01-01, 12:41 AM
Actually, all advanced classes so far are pretty badass. Except the alchemist.

Whether it be the Master of the Wastes "I take your death effect - and just keep coming at you" or the Sandshaper "Look at me, I'm ignoring your weapons, your walls, and hey, just for kicks, you as well" or the Dervish "Hi! (crazy high number of attacks, all of which are on fire, one of which contains a flame strike and one of which was an insta-kill) Bye!" or even the Pharaoh "I love the fact that you're all bowing to me. Even the guy who was trying to assassinate me."

Zeta Kai
2009-01-01, 12:49 AM
Actually, all advanced classes so far are pretty badass. Except the alchemist.

Yes, I'm impressed with the classes so far. I'm hoping that the monsters will be strong enough to take them on.

afroakuma
2009-01-01, 01:13 AM
*shrug* I buried something powerful enough to give them all a run for their money should it come to that.

Alteran
2009-01-01, 01:27 AM
I enjoyed the lore, but I didn't try to get anything new from it. I just decided that Ghuls and Sandshapers are even more badass than I first thought.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-01, 04:37 AM
Maybe it's time the build team re-started their thread in arts and crafts to appeal for more artists now that the festive season is coming to a close.

afroakuma
2009-01-01, 08:51 AM
I bumped it once... no bites.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-01, 04:11 PM
Yeah, we're getting better results in this thread from the Purple Tentacle alone.

afroakuma
2009-01-01, 04:13 PM
Which reminds me: Zeta, almost done with... that one that I owe you. Still fishy about that other one - let me know which idea you preferred of your own.

Athaniar
2009-01-01, 04:44 PM
Question: Can I write a short, hopefully non-conflicting story relating to Ak-Khyriash II the Magnificent and post it here?

afroakuma
2009-01-01, 04:49 PM
I thought I had done that... but sure, go ahead.

I won't correct you, though.

Athaniar
2009-01-01, 04:55 PM
Thank you. Oh, one more question: is it reasonable for a pharaoh to rule a city state, live in a splendrous palace, have a harem, and be revered by all in his surroundings?

afroakuma
2009-01-01, 05:49 PM
Thank you. Oh, one more question: is it reasonable for a pharaoh to rule a city state

Yes.

live in a splendrous palace

Goes with the job description.

have a harem

Fringe benefits of same.

and be revered by all in his surroundings?

Many, sure, but not all. q.v. Moses.

Athaniar
2009-01-01, 07:54 PM
In Service of the Magnificent
Day 1397
Written by Sebech-Ten-Akmun, Chief Scribe of His Magnificence Pharaoh Ak-Khyriash II

As I walked through the streets, I noticed two young boys playing in an alley: one was dressed in a home-made costume resembling a desert dragon, while the other's clothes resembled those of the Pharaoh. Recognizing the scene in question, I smiled and threw them a coin, before continuing on my way to the palace.

Upon entering the golden palace, I noticed that two of my noble brothers were on guard, gilded bladechains in hand. I greeted them with joy, and continued, past the verdure of the Divine Gardens and the sparkling delight of the Fountain of Splendour, until I finally reached His chamber, the most glorious of all the palace's rooms. And there, upon a stack of ornate silk cushions, guarded by His most trusted furman bodyguard and surrounded by His two favorite females (the furwoman Is-Tyhamet and the genasi Auw-Qashi), sat Pharaoh Ak-Khyriash II, Lord of the Sacred Haven and Guardian of the Eight Blessed Scrolls, an aura of righteousness and purity flowing around His most excellent self. With a simple yet noble wave of His much-bejeweled hand, He welcomed me with a voice of both sweetness and might. From the pouch at my side I brought forth my implements of inscription, and I started writing down His glorious words.

As I wrote, I could not help but to feel exalted in the presence of the Pharaoh and the splendour in which He dwells. I am truly a fortunate man.

Zocelot
2009-01-01, 10:55 PM
Now that the Dev team has seen this made up lore, can they judge whether or not they can correct some/all of it without going into restricted areas?

afroakuma
2009-01-01, 10:58 PM
I thought I had done that... but sure, go ahead.

I won't correct you, though.

See above.

I could correct it, but I won't.

Any Lore requests or other questions for me?

Alteran
2009-01-02, 01:00 AM
If you can't correct it, can you at least tell us if it was reasonably close to accurate?

afroakuma
2009-01-02, 08:11 AM
I can, but I'm not going to, which was the condition under which he was authorized to post it.

Athaniar
2009-01-02, 04:18 PM
Day 1612
Written by Sebech-Ten-Akmun, Chief Scribe of His Magnificence Pharaoh Ak-Khyriash II

The topic on everybody's lips today is the upcoming peace conference between Pharaoh Ak-Khyriash II and Pharaoh Sef-Tal-Yalke IV. Myself, I have been busy preparing, along with the rest of the palace staff. There has certainly been much to do, after the sorry event of the mad alchemist and the suicide of Is-Tyhamet, who was his sister, but it is my belief that we will soon be finished.

I, along with my most esteemed hatchbrother Sebeth-Ten-Rokhry and his second wife Nek-Yph-Wora and fifth wife Trak-Ce, all of us experienced scribes, have been working on two of the most important pieces: the Pharaoh's opening speech and the layout of the treaty itself. I have a feeling that tomorrow will be an eventful day indeed.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-02, 04:27 PM
Surely Xavius should be linking this thread as part of the 'Devotee of Ak-Khyriash' thing...

afroakuma
2009-01-02, 04:30 PM
Well, if anyone still has questions or Lore requests, let me know.

Juhn
2009-01-02, 04:50 PM
Got anything on that Djinn Lord yet?

afroakuma
2009-01-02, 05:11 PM
Don't ask about the Djinn Lord. At all. Ever.

Until I post otherwise, there is nothing on the Djinn Lord.

Juhn
2009-01-02, 05:25 PM
Well, you asked if anyone still had questions or lore requests, so I answered. "No, we don't have anything yet" is a perfectly reasonable response, though.

Don't think I've got anything else to ask right now, though if I come up with something I'll let you know.

afroakuma
2009-01-02, 05:32 PM
Not on that one. Grr... that one...

Right now, that one's my personal nemesis.

Juhn
2009-01-02, 05:38 PM
Well, to my knowledge I'm the only one who's been asking about it, and I haven't been doing so every five minutes, so it can't be for the same reason as the hourglass thing. But then, you said not to ask about it, so I suppose I won't.

afroakuma
2009-01-02, 05:39 PM
It's my nemesis because I've hit a developer's block on it and it's still bugging me. So no, there will be nothing on it for quite some time.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-02, 06:33 PM
How about something on those Lizardfolk? Or the Gnolls? The Scaleys & the Furmen need more lore-love.

afroakuma
2009-01-02, 07:21 PM
The Sage's Story

Rasal Alfoz walked down the Way of Figs, enjoying the little clouds of dust left by his shuffling feet and tail. His old scales, a lively lime at birth, were now dun, cracked and sparse.

A waterkeeper called good morning to him, and an eggwatcher, and a passign hunter. Children came out to greet him, and by the time he reached the fountain wall the aggregate mass of hatchlings, yearlings and youths climbing on his legs and shoulders forced him to sit for a story.

As he weaved his tale, passers-by paused to listen, with questions on their tongues. Rasal Alfoz spoke through his characters, instructing his neighbors on their needs without disturbing the children.

At last, the tale ended, and a lizardwoman came around the corner to lead the children away. Rasal Alfoz glanced at her, looked into her eyes, then suddenly sprung forth.

Casting off his old, drab robe to reveal well-worn leathers, the sage struck out at the lizardwoman with his staff once, twice, thrice. Her scales crumbled under his blows, revealing dead black flesh. She tried clawing at the children, but could not strike even close to Rasal Alfoz.

At last, one final blow sent her crashing into a nearby adobe, where her scales shed and her form bent, revealing a terrible creature beneath. Rasal Alfoz sent the children to gather priests and priest-warriors to cleanse the beast's taint, then continued along.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-02, 07:28 PM
Golly, Afro, if you keep telling stories like that, they'll start to think that this world is dangerous. :smallwink: Great tale, as always.

afroakuma
2009-01-02, 08:23 PM
*dips a finger into the flesh-eating death waters*

Oh, sorry... I thought it was.

Juhn
2009-01-02, 10:49 PM
I thought Sages weren't supposed to be mystical? Eh, I like this version better anyway.

afroakuma
2009-01-02, 10:52 PM
They don't need to be. In this case I decided to point out that one doesn't need to be a cleric, sorcerer, druid...

Can you guess this sage's class?

Juhn
2009-01-02, 11:07 PM
All I know is that he probably has pretty high Sense Motive, or the appropriate Knowledge skill.

afroakuma
2009-01-02, 11:11 PM
...or Detect Evil.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-02, 11:30 PM
... & Smite.

Juhn
2009-01-02, 11:35 PM
That wouldn't necessarily tell the Sage that this was a ghul (at least, as far as I can tell that's what it was), but eh.

I'm gonna guess Bard, since it's not any of the classes you listed and he's a storyteller. That and we've heard nothing about Bards in this setting as of yet.

afroakuma
2009-01-02, 11:36 PM
Nope.

And he didn't need to know it was a ghul. It was registering as strong evil and headed for the kids.

paddyfool
2009-01-03, 05:36 AM
Well, the obvious guess is Dervish, given those abilities. A staff seems like an atypical weapon, but certainly not a barred one, so why not. If not a Dervish, then Geomancer should also might appropriately be sensitive to his surroundings, so that's a possibility. None of the rest seem to fit, imho.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-03, 06:05 AM
*dips a finger into the flesh-eating death waters*

Ahem, these 'flesh-eating death waters' of yours, do they count as a spoiler in and of themselves?

UnChosenOne
2009-01-03, 07:26 AM
So afroakuma why you seem's to have some fetish to stuff like 'flesh-eating death waters'? And can we say anything about hourclasses without losing our head's?

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-03, 07:31 AM
And can we say anything about hourclasses without losing our head's?

Hourclasses yes.

Hourglasses no.

*Holds up enchanted head-on-a-stick for Afro to decapitate*

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 08:25 AM
The correct answer is Paladin.

Ahem, these 'flesh-eating death waters' of yours, do they count as a spoiler in and of themselves?

No; that was a joke.

Juhn
2009-01-03, 12:13 PM
Heh, I got Paladin as soon as you said "Detect Evil", I just wanted to see a Bard.

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 12:24 PM
Well, I wasn't going to rewrite the whole thing to accomodate that sort of silliness. :smalltongue:

Anything else I can do?

Alteran
2009-01-03, 12:51 PM
The correct answer is Paladin.

I figured that was too easy. :smallannoyed:

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 12:53 PM
Why should I have made it difficult?

Juhn
2009-01-03, 01:06 PM
Show us a Bard? I'd figure a Gnoll would fit best there, being as they're the friendly ones.

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 01:12 PM
I'm curious; why the sudden fascination with bards?

Juhn
2009-01-03, 01:18 PM
Simply because they've yet to be mentioned. We've had talk of Fighters, Barbarians, Sorcerors, Wizards, Rogues, and Rangers, but no Bards. Or Monks. How do Monks fit into this setting - or don't they?

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 01:26 PM
All base classes are used in the setting.

Juhn
2009-01-03, 01:28 PM
There was a "How" at the beginning of that sentence. You seem to have started at "do". :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 01:49 PM
Actually I started at "don't."

How do you think they fit in?

Juhn
2009-01-03, 01:55 PM
I don't know; that's why I asked.

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 02:05 PM
Really? You can't see how monks fit in?

Holy warriors, religious fanatics, royal bodyguards, ascetics, eunuchs, tasked assassins; you name it.

Juhn
2009-01-03, 02:09 PM
Sounds like a large number of Monks might become Dervishes.

Athaniar
2009-01-03, 02:13 PM
(This scroll is torn, blood-stained, and the writing (except for the heading) appears less elegant than that of the previous scrolls)

Day 1613

Sef-Tal-Yalke and his followers persihed instantly. Pharaoh Ak-Khyriash II is wounded and in grave danger. Most of the royal guard is dead, and of the few remaining, most are incapitated. It took us completely by surprise. Large portions of the palace are in ruins. It conjured forth a magic barrier that cuts us off from the outside world. I and seven others, including brother Sebeth-Ten-Rokhry and his fourth wife Xew'Ani, are hiding in the Crystal Armory. Through a hole in the wall, I can see the courtyard, where the Pharaoh is fighting for his life. While the others are in no fighting shape, I, on the other hand, still have enough life. The Blade of the Serene Chamrosh is in my hand. I will gladly give my life for my Pharaoh. To anyone who reads this document (if it survives): know that I expect no honor or glory for this, for I am simply doing what is right.

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 02:22 PM
Dervish is probably the most flexible PrC going into this. It's calibrated for most classes' easy entry and use.

Owrtho
2009-01-03, 04:31 PM
I take it you never noticed my lore request a few pages back for something on any illusionary and/or mirage cities...

Owrtho

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-03, 04:45 PM
I take it you never noticed my lore request a few pages back for something on any illusionary and/or mirage cities...

Owrtho

Maybe he assumed he was hallucinating about your request.

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 04:49 PM
Entirely possible.

While I'm here, any requests other than that?

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-03, 04:52 PM
Entirely possible.

While I'm here, any requests other than that?

Okay, can you provide lore based on an underwater adventure within the setting?

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 04:54 PM
...I think you just made my brain hurt.

You want an underwater adventure (uncommon enough on their own) in a desert setting?

Why?

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-03, 05:09 PM
...I think you just made my brain hurt.

You want an underwater adventure (uncommon enough on their own) in a desert setting?

Why?

Because there is a massive expanse of sea, and there's always going to be someone who tries exactly that seeming contradiction to give their gaming group a change of pace.

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 05:11 PM
Neglecting the fact that the setting is bereft of the magic level that would support an underwater adventure, it's not like there's no precedent.

Well, if that's what you want, I'll get to that in a bit.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-03, 05:16 PM
Thank you very much indeed for your pandering to the whims of this unworthy one, great master.

*Runs off with evil grin, and the contents of Afro's pockets*

Neglecting the fact that the setting is bereft of the magic level that would support an underwater adventure, it's not like there's no precedent.

But that's the beauty of it, would the PC's have to consort with creatures of elemental water, or do something else beyond the norm simply to survive outside their natural element?

Athaniar
2009-01-03, 05:32 PM
Day 1
Written by Sebeth-Ten-Rokhry, Chief Scribe of His Magnificence Pharaoh Ak-Khyriash II

"He was a devout servant, a loyal friend, and a noble brother."

It was with these words I ended the funeral ceremony of my brother Sebech-Ten-Akmun and began my work as his successor as the Pharaoh's chief scribe. It is all very sad what happened, but also fortunate that the Pharaoh survived and that it did not take that long to get everything up and running again. Anyway, me and two of my wives (Trak-Ce and Xew'Ani) attended the ceremony, which took most of my work day. I then did some inscription work for Ak-Khyriash, and went home. I will enjoy this job, I'm sure of it. Well, as long as I don't end up as Sebech, that is.

Zocelot
2009-01-03, 05:35 PM
Sebeth-Ten-Rokhry seems much less formal than his predecessor.

Athaniar
2009-01-03, 05:48 PM
An accurate observation.

Juhn
2009-01-03, 06:32 PM
Anyway, me and two of my wives

He also has poor grammar, which is an unfortunate trait for a royal scribe.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-03, 06:43 PM

Then I doubt his tenure will last for the 1,613 days of his predecessor's.

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 07:11 PM
Excerpted from the Kiss of the Pahari

We had not believed in the marid until we stood in his court. Now, dazzled by the court of the Northern Shah, we were borne below by his invisible agents, given breath through the grace of Limalia.

Through the darkness we could see the iridescent forms of the swimming pahari. Concealed still by the banks of hard, plantlike clay, we waited for our magician to wrap us in a sorcerous veil.

Ahead in the center of the pahari city, we saw the palace of the Western Shah. The shining light radiating from the tunnels we knew to be the fabulous pearl we sought: the Kiss of the Pahari. However, we feared the warriors of the Shah, who we were warned bowed to the leadership of his son, a mortal man. As well, we could not speak with and did not trust the bearers sent by the North.

The greedy light in the sorcerer's eyes worried me, for I feared that he was desirous of the Kiss himself. Legend said that it was a jewel of magical power, perhaps even the home of the Padishah himself!

Athaniar
2009-01-03, 07:19 PM

He's just peculiar. And lazy.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-03, 07:31 PM
Excellent bit of lore of mighty master of a thousand menaces...

As you can tell, I'm trying to get into the spirit of stereotypical arabian honorifics

Zeta Kai
2009-01-04, 04:42 PM
A New Moon, Part 1
I had finished my chores at the bakery, & had just changed out of my work clothes, when Ghalib stopped by the shop.

“What brings you this way?” I asked, genuinely curious. His father’s shop was on the other side of the bazaar.

“I have two extra tokens for tonight’s court,” he said with a grin.

“How did you get so many?” His family did not have enough money or influence to spend on so many court tokens.

“You know that new sub-minister? The scaley? Well, the sub-minister was dolling them out, & he dropped his bag. The vouchers went everywhere. I snagged a handful in the confusion,” he said smugly, his eyes wild in triumph. That sub-minister could be whipped for such carelessness, unless he can cover up his mistake. “I gave one to Alabi, & another to Qaj, so I thought you could use one, as well.”

“Well, thank you,” I said, taking the pair of round coin-like tokens. “But why two?”

“Well, I saw you & Jalil talking, so I thought…” he trailed off, still smiling.

My face felt hot. Ghalib was older than me by a year, & he was annoyingly perceptive. Jalil has indeed been hanging around the bakery, so we had talked a few times when I wasn’t busy kneading dough. She was pretty, & she said she didn’t mind the pervasive scent of yeast, so we got along rather well.

“Oh, uh, thank you again,” I said quickly, not looking at him directly. “I don’t think she’s ever been to court before.”

“Sabah’s never been, either. That’s why I’m doing her the favor of accompanying me,” he said with the wink of a conspirator. “Well I must go, for there is much to do before tonight. I hope to see you there. Bye!”

Ghalib turned & left, singing to himself. I was sure that he was quite pleased with his manipulations, his scheming to change the lives of others & garner favors along the way. I guessed that poor foolish Sabah would not stand a chance against his charms.

I hurried upstairs to change again. My drab tunic won’t impress anyone at court, & I would have to find Jalil before her sisters made plans for her that she could not escape. Tonight promised to be interesting. The night of a new moon was always worthy of note.

Juhn
2009-01-04, 05:05 PM
Past tense and present tense seem to be fighting for control of that post. I'm also used to seeing Jalil as a guy's name, from what I can remember. Other than that, not a bad lore post.

Zocelot
2009-01-04, 05:11 PM
What are the races of the characters in the post?

afroakuma
2009-01-04, 05:12 PM
Doesn't hold a candle to me, though. :smalltongue:

What else can we do for you?

shaddy_24
2009-01-04, 05:22 PM
I've been looking this over and I'm thinking about starting a pbp for this as well. I'm thinking about making it Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, with a lot of changes to make it appropriate for the setting. If any of the developers are familiar with the adventure, could you let me know the feasibility of that?

afroakuma
2009-01-04, 05:24 PM
Strahd would make an awfully interesting ghul...

Zocelot
2009-01-04, 07:37 PM
I've been looking this over and I'm thinking about starting a pbp for this as well. I'm thinking about making it Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, with a lot of changes to make it appropriate for the setting. If any of the developers are familiar with the adventure, could you let me know the feasibility of that?

I've never played in Ravenloft, but I have heard a bit about it. The same goes for Hourglass of Zihaja. As far as I can tell, Ravenloft could be converted to Zihaja very well, but there could be vital pieces of information I don't know about.

shaddy_24
2009-01-05, 12:15 AM
Strahd would make an awfully interesting ghul...

Spoilering this to avoid spoiling the game for people who don't know. You know, all ten of you :smalltongue:.

That may be an interesting change. It sounds like ghul is a template, based on what you said. How well does it compare to vampire? Also, one ghul force another creature to become a ghul, or is it more of a voluntary thing, like lichdom? If the second is the case, this may require a few changes of other NPCs. And Strahd's goal...

Finally, if it is a template, what's the CR adjustment of ghul-dom. Or is that also off limits too?

afroakuma
2009-01-05, 12:18 AM
It's not a template, I fear, although it would allow a similar goal to Strahd's.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-05, 06:52 AM
For the record, what was Strahd's goal? I've never played EtCR.

Lord_Gareth
2009-01-05, 07:20 AM
I believe Strahd's goals in (un)life are as follows:

1. Get Tanya's reincarnation to love him and live happily ever after.

2. Failing 1, get her and himself out of Ravenloft, then attempt 1 again.

3. Failing 1 and 2, hold as much personal power as possible so as to give 1 and 2 many chances.

shaddy_24
2009-01-05, 07:26 AM
Pretty much what Lord_Gareth said. Basically, 500 years ago Strahd murdered his brother and became a vampire in order to gain the love of Tatyana. Then she commited suicide. Fifty years later, she's reincarnated into a new body. He tries to turn her into a vampire and get her to love him. Then she dies. Repeat a whole bunch of times. It's happening again.

He also has another goal, decided by a roll of the dice. This goal changes from game to game, and aren't necessary really, they just add something extra to the game.

afroakuma
2009-01-05, 08:40 AM
It would require a bit of tinkering, but it would certainly be doable.

Alternately, just keep him as a vampire.

Lord_Gareth
2009-01-05, 08:58 AM
This is what high-level - 15-18 - characters look like when fighting. How would this kind of power be considered in your setting? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH1TB4gEUY)

afroakuma
2009-01-05, 09:02 AM
Can't watch that at the moment, but generally high-level adventure is rare, as are high-level characters.

EDIT: Watched it. Seems like mostly dervish type action, which would be considered fairly extreme and likely cause a rumor to spread like wildfire.

Athaniar
2009-01-05, 02:07 PM

Don't know if you care about my posts, but Sebech-Ten-Akmun and Sebeth-Ten-Rokhry are lizardmen, and Pharaoh Ak-Khyriash II is, of course, a kobold, while Pharaoh Sef-Tal-Yalke IV is (was) human.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-05, 04:12 PM

Ghalib & Sabah are human, & the Sub-Minister is a Lizardman. I'm not telling about the others.

afroakuma
2009-01-06, 11:45 AM
The Witch of Zanzalar

The people of Zanzalar had never encountered so much as a genasi's hair, for all of their superstition. Their youths would travel to one of the larger towns and come back with tales of great beasts that walked through wide rivers, blazing genies on the backs of striped lions and enchanted jewels that danced about the heads of blue-skinned sorcerers.

I knew better. I had met the son of a dao once, and knew the feel of the extranatural. I had fought in Turzech againt the vulture-women and seen the trail of a sandworm. I knew that there were real monsters in the world.

When the youths of Zanzalar began to sicken, the people were quick to blame their misadventures in the foolish cities of the scaled folk. One woman berated a local village girl as a sorceress, claiming she had cursed her boy. Though certainly reasonable, one jilted lover could not have caused the sickening of seven young men.

The rumor caught, though, and soon the town was up in arms over an unidentified "witch." I took a night watch, and kept count of the folk going back to their homes.

I saw it then; a tall creature, dark in figure. It was not one of us; my count was flawless and this was one more. I followed it as it stalked among the huts, keeping a safe distance.

Suddenly it vanished, leaving no trace of movement. I ran to where the thing had stood and looked around frantically. There - through a window! I had no time to guess how. I jumped through and brandished my sword against the creature, now with wings spread, loomed over a sleeping youth. I could see its soft mouth draw up in a smile, and was suddenly drawn in a fit to leave it be, to relax and go about my business. This mood passed quickly, however, and I struck swiftly with my saber.

The blade skidded against the dark thing and left not a trace of a wound. It hissed at me and knocked me to the floor with a vicious blow, then was gone.

To this day I know not what the witch was, only that it is something to be feared and not seen again. The people of Zanzalar have a different opinion, since now they are the ones with a story of the fantastic.

Zocelot
2009-01-06, 04:36 PM
Since this is a desert setting, can I call the beast a sandwitch?

Shadow_Elf
2009-01-06, 04:44 PM
Since this is a desert setting, can I call the beast a sandwitch?

We considered making that an advanced class for awhile... awhile being less than four seconds :smalltongue:.

Alteran
2009-01-06, 05:16 PM
sandworm

Woo!

Another great lore, Afro. As always it has left me with some questions.

afroakuma
2009-01-06, 05:28 PM
Don't get too excited. It was a purple worm.

Juhn
2009-01-06, 06:00 PM
So, it had wings, and the watchman didn't know it wasn't one of them until he realized there was one too many.

Everyone there has wings?

afroakuma
2009-01-06, 06:06 PM
Either that or it could hide the fact that it had wings. I suspect the latter.

Juhn
2009-01-06, 06:18 PM
"I saw it then; a tall, winged creature, dark in figure"

So what he saw was a tall, dark creature with wings.

Alteran
2009-01-06, 06:26 PM
Don't get too excited. It was a purple worm.

A purple sandworm?

Shadow_Elf
2009-01-06, 06:30 PM
A purple sandworm?

It is a Purple Worm, as in the exact same thing as the MM entry. Except possibly refluffed. Probably just your garden-variety Purple Worm though.

afroakuma
2009-01-06, 06:31 PM
I doubt you'll find that quote anywhere in the story, Juhn. I think you're making things up.

Alteran: sure, whatever floats your boat. For all intents and purposes, though, it's a purple worm. We're not doing a sandworm.

Alteran
2009-01-06, 06:58 PM
Well, it's a worm that lives in/near sand (at least, it is implied so), and that's good enough for me.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-06, 08:48 PM
Well, if you must have a sand worm, then here. Have a Sand Worm. Enjoy. It won't be in this setting, though, for it is unfortunately stuck in Spira.

Zocelot
2009-01-07, 05:12 PM
There hasn't been very much discussion lately. Maybe you could give us something that we really want to know about. The forbidden territory stuff.

Juhn
2009-01-07, 05:47 PM
I've been attempting to adjust to University life; that's why I haven't been posting as much lately.

afroakuma
2009-01-07, 06:29 PM
There hasn't been very much discussion lately. Maybe you could give us something that we really want to know about. The forbidden territory stuff.

Pssh.

I'm curious. Throw together a list of everything forbidden; I'll see if any of it is currently admissible.

Juhn
2009-01-07, 06:50 PM
Off the top of my head: the glass city, and anything crunch-related. And the Djinn Lord. And hourglasses.

afroakuma
2009-01-07, 06:54 PM
I said everything. :smallconfused:

Alteran
2009-01-07, 07:51 PM
That expanse of white we saw on the map.

afroakuma
2009-01-07, 08:36 PM
I said everything. :smallconfused:

See above.

Someone give me a decent-sized list to glance over.

afroakuma
2009-01-08, 11:02 AM
I'll tell you what. Someone compile a reasonable list of things that I've forbidden, and we'll put it to a nice vote. Fair?

vegetalss4
2009-01-08, 03:33 PM
list of things afro have forbidden. note those with :smallwink: seems forbidden because of silly

Aazlai's
confirmation about the accuracy of fan made story
currency
crunch stuff
djinin lord
glass city
Gnoll holidays
Hourglasses :smallwink:
mirage city
salmons :smallwink:
races with own culture in the yang plane, that aren't player races
rayseed's
the value of a gallon of water
the white area on the map

afroakuma
2009-01-08, 03:36 PM
Is that really all of it? I thought there were more...

Zeta Kai
2009-01-08, 07:21 PM
Is that really all of it? I thought there were more...

Well, to be fair, "crunch stuff" covers a lot of territory. I'd say that's a decent list. I can't think of any other "banned" topics of note.

afroakuma
2009-01-08, 07:30 PM
I'm going to add it to the vote tally just for kicks. As in, anyone who picks it will receive.

So, the game is afoot. Vote for which "forbidden" item you'd like the veil to be lifted on. Write-ins will be accepted.

{table=head]Forbidden Thingy|Votes
Aazlai|2
Confirmation about the accuracy of the fanfic|1
Currency|
Crunch|1
Djinn Lord|1
Glass city|1
Gnoll holidays|
Hourglasses|
Mirage city|3
Nonplayer races of Siraaj|2
Rayseeds|
Salmon|
The price of water|1
The white area on the map|4
[/table]

Szilard
2009-01-08, 07:33 PM
I'd like to know more about the mirage city(s).

Owrtho
2009-01-08, 08:02 PM
Why is it that over a quarter of that list is topics of my bringing up?
Anyways, I'd have to go with the mirage/illusion city(s). As much as I'd like to find out about currency, I recall a statement that it had not been worked on yet. And currency is required to determine the value of a gallon of water. And salmon seem not to exist in the setting, despite the request for them to be there (which causes serious hindrance to those that want to cook one by levitating it over the hot sand...).

Owrtho

afroakuma
2009-01-08, 08:12 PM
You must search deep within yourself to find the answer.

I did authorize write-ins, by the way, even if they're not what you want to vote for.

Alteran
2009-01-08, 08:52 PM
For consistency, I'm going with the white area on the map.

Llama231
2009-01-08, 09:03 PM
I would have to go with salmon.:smalltongue:

Just kidding, I think that the price of water sounds interesting.

Crabs Magee
2009-01-08, 09:34 PM
I haven't posted here in a while....what kind of damage should I make?

Hmmm....I could add another point to Mirage Cities, or Big White Spot.....

Or I could decide what I want the true D&D way....with dice!

Removing Hourglasses and Salmon from the list of topics gives me twelve choices....

And I rolled a 6 - The Glass City

Sereg
2009-01-08, 10:08 PM
I'm baaaaaack!

Ok, of those I'm most interested in knowing about the white area.

afroakuma
2009-01-08, 10:26 PM
We missed you, Sereg.

Votes tallied, such as they are.

Most of this stuff seems pretty meh, now that I look it over.

Zocelot
2009-01-08, 10:27 PM
I'm placing my vote on White Area. It's been so long since I last voted...