PDA

View Full Version : 3.5ed Monsters and natural weapons. BUILD.

Edwin
2008-12-02, 10:04 AM
Hello, fellow playgrounders.

I need your help. I would like you help, actually.
And what I would like it for, is a build - a build focused around using a monster race, who has a/some decent natural weapons, and then utilizing those as the primary weapon.

Build him as whatever kind of melee type you want - that is, focus him around tripping, bullrushing, glasscanon or whatever. Just no tanks, period. In fact, I'd like a glasscanon, however, please, do post alternative builds.

Use only the SRD, or anything found on the web (no homebrew).

Also, could you kindly guide me through the LA buyoff rules, as those have always seemed sort of iffy to me, pretty please?

Thanks!

Edit: The build should go up to 10th level, and should be made so as to make him as effective as possible, as fast as possible, without hampering him later.
Also, use any core class you feel appropriate.

jcsw
2008-12-02, 10:46 AM
SRD or Web? Your DM has weird book limits. (Or very cheap book limits.)

Divine Minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) works, but is rather cheesy.

EDIT: Also useful. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060728a) (Scroll Down)

Keld Denar
2008-12-02, 10:59 AM
You are gonna need more sourcebooks if you want a decent shot at this. Any shot at Libris Mortis? Gravetouched Ghoul is about the BEST +2 LA in the game. It gets you a claw/claw/bite routine, with PARALYSIS on each hit. Draconomicon has the feats Rapid Strike and Improved Rapid Strike, which gives you 2ndary and full iterative attacks with a "pair" of natural attacks, like claws, tenticles, or wing buffets.

Then you just stack on Hexblade, Blackguard, and a couple Binder levels, with a little Marshall mixed in for fun, and with all of your debuffage, your foes won't have a prayer to make your fort save vs paralysis.

Otherwise I'd go with something like Awakened Dire Giant Octopus. Many attacks, although the damage on each is rather low. This could be buffed using INA and maybe PA. You'd need some form of air breathing though, or you'd be hard up for survival.

Better would be if you went full Druid, and then Wild Shaped into a Dire Giant Octopus. Then you could cast Fires of Purity on yourself and be a Flaming Dire Giant Octopus, which is very fun to say quickly.

kamikasei
2008-12-02, 11:04 AM
How many books does the King of Smack require, or is it only useful at level 20?

Edwin
2008-12-02, 12:20 PM
The reason for it being only core, is that I am playing in an core-only game, so that is pretty much set-in-stone.. And the reason I said web-stuff might be okay, is because that way my DM would be able to review it, and maybe approve.

Jcsw: My guess is that the divine minions are, yes indeed, too cheesy, I'm afraid. Although I like the Ambush Drake.. might be abit high-powered though, as we are low-level.

Keld Denar: I realise that doing this core-only will come out slightly.. underpowered. Or atleast, less than great. But, I was at no point aiming for the best possible result all over, just the best possible result in core.
The octupus thing? Sounds alright, except, can they even move across land?
And for the druid, I think we are starting below level 5. So no wildshaping for me.

Kamikasei: What on earth is the King of Smack?

Sinfire Titan
2008-12-02, 12:31 PM
Core-only hurts this idea. Play a Wild Shape-focused Druid.

King of Smack is Psionic, last I checked. If the XPH were allowed, I'd say the same thing. If the MoI were allowed, I'd tell him to make a Totemist (as they do the job perfectly).

Person_Man
2008-12-02, 12:35 PM
King of Smack redux.

Psychic Warrior 20. Claws of the Beast, Claws of the Vampire, Expansion, Improved Natural Attack, Knock-Down, Combat Reflexes. Pure SRD.

Edwin
2008-12-02, 12:39 PM
Once again, I am aware that core-only hurts this idea. Alot. But, nevertheless, core is what is available. And no, still not interested in druid - simply because what I am looking for is some kind of monster/animal, and not a human or whatever using wildshape to emulate it.

Also, Person_Man, I am not very adept in psionics, but I'll take a look at it. Thank you.

Draz74
2008-12-02, 12:48 PM
Rapidstrike (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Rapidstrike,Dr), which someone else mentioned, can be found online. It's a crucial part of the hard-core King of Smack build, but it's not available to you by Level 10 anyway. Still, it might be worth asking your DM if he will allow it in the future, because that will affect your choice of Race. If you are heading for Rapidstrike, you will need to be an aberration or dragon. (The Elan race from the Expanded Psionics Handbook, LA +0, is recommended.)

But yeah, basically, what Person_Man said. Knockdown is optional (but nifty). Robilar's Gambit (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Robilar~s_Gambit,PH2) is another goal to get eventually, if the DM will allow it.