PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Disciple (Redux) [PrC, PEACH]

insecure
2008-12-02, 04:14 PM
Premise: So, I've seen a lot comments on about how underpowered the Dragon Disciple prestige class was, and, well, I decided to give it a new spin, hopefully making it better than before. I don't know if I was successful, but I hope I was. Also, as I said, I took a different approach to it, making it more melee-focused, instead of some sort of a gish.

So, how does it look? Is it under- or overpowered?

---

Dragon Disciple

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dmag_gallery/100224.jpg

You think you're mightier than the dragons? Let's see...

Soaring above the skies, the mightiest of the Dragon Disciples join the fearless dragons, fighting along with their biggest idols wielding some of the dragons' weapons as their own, clawing through their enemies ranks while tearing them apart with their forceful bite.
That is what all Dragon Disciples dream of, hoping to unite with the awe-inspiring beast and clash with their foes. But the path is hard and the road long to achieve this, therefore only the greatest unlock the secrets of the dragon's secrets, growing wings and gaining strength.

Dragon Disciples mostly favors melee combat, seeking to clash against their opponents either with daring swordplay or with brutal tearing, although one aspect tend to unify many Dragon Disciples; they favor raw strength over intricate maneuvers, trying to ground their enemies as soon as possible.
Thus, mostly melee orientated classes, such as Fighters, Barbarians, or some Rangers tend to choose to advance along this path.

Requirements
Race: Any non-dragon
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 4 ranks
Languages: Draconic
BaB: +5

Class Skills (2 + int modifier per level): Balance, Bluff, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Listen, Sense motive, Spot, Swim

Hit Dice: d12

The Dragon Disciple
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Tooth and Nail, Dragonskin (+1)

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Wyrm's might (str +2)

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Dragonskin (+2), Draconic presence

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Wyrm's might (str +2, con +2), Dragonsense (30')

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Dragonskin (+3), Fierce as the drake

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Wyrm's might (str +4, con +2)

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|Dragonskin (+4), Flight of the dragon

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Wyrm's might (str +4, con +4)

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Dragonskin (+5), Dragonsense (60')

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Form of the dragon[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon Proficiencies: A dragon disciple aren't proficient with any weapons or armor.

Tooth and nail (Ex): At the time you enter this class, you gain a set of the most basic weapons available to you, but also those favored by the great dragons. At first level, you grow claws and obtains a vicious bite attack, able to torn your enemies asunder, if you don't already have them.

Your claw and bite attacks deal damage according to the table below. At level five, you damage with these attacks increases, and again at level ten, when you obtain the Form of the dragon ability.
{table=head]Level|Claw damage|Bite damage
1|1d4|1d6
5|1d6|1d8
10|1d8|2d4[/table]

You are considered proficient with these attacks.

Dragonskin (Ex): During your transformation throughout the class, your skin hardens and the trained eye might spot small scales covering your body. At the start of this class, they may be hard to find, but the scales grow larger and also offers more protection later. This grants you a +1 natural armor bonus to your AC, which raises as you advance in the class according to the table.

Wyrm's might (Ex): At second level, you begin to grow stronger and can withstand more punishment, making your more draconic in appearance, but also far more powerful. You gain a +2 bonus to strength at second level, and again at sixth. At fourth level, you gain a +2 bonus to con, and once more at eight level.

Draconic presence (Su): Taking on one more aspect of the dragons, your powers now also grants you the ability to strike fear into you enemies, leaving them terrified under your assaults. At the time you reach third level, you gain an ability akin to the frightful presence ability of dragons. Whenever you use the charge action, you may activate this ability. All enemies within 30' must succeed on a will save (DC = 10 + Dragon Disciple levels + cha modifier) or become shakened.

Dragonsense (Ex): Your senses are above the normal, enhanced by draconic might. At fourth level, you gain blindsense out to 30'. This increases to 60' at level nine.

Fierce as the drake (Ex): When you reach fifth level, you unlock the power of the drake, allowing you to fight with the power of it when you rake through your enemy's armor. As according to the table in the Tooth and nail ability, your claw and bite damage increases. In addition, for the purpose of attacks with your claws and your bite weapon, you gain the multiattack feat.

Flight of the dragon (Ex): Getting nearer and nearer to the true potential of your draconic abilities, you grow draconic wings at level 7, granting you a fly speed of 30' (clumsy).

Form of the dragon: Reaching the pinnacle of this class, your effort has truly given fruit, making your transformation complete. At tenth level, your bonus to strength raises to +8, your bonus to con to +6, and you recieve a +2 bonus to charisma. Your flying maneuverabilty increases to (average), and your claw and bite damage raises as noted on the table in the Tooth and nail ability. You aqquire low-light vision and darkvision out to 60 feet, along with immunity to sleep and paralysis effects. You natural armor bonus to AC also raises to +6, and

Xefas
2008-12-02, 06:10 PM
It seems kind of...plain. You gain a bunch of passive abilities and static bonuses but nothing to really do.

This especially hurts, because anyone whose base class isn't Fighter is going to be losing flavor as well as effectiveness on their base abilities.

It needs to advance something. Spellcasting, psionics, rage, unarmed damage, wildshaping, binding, incarnum, invoking- something.

I would say allow it to advance either Dragon Shaman auras (PHBII) or Dragonfire Adept invocations (Dragon Magic).

Meek
2008-12-02, 06:19 PM
I might suggest looking at the Pathfinder Dragon Disciple, which is a really darned good advancement over the old one, for some inspiration.

Draz74
2008-12-02, 07:35 PM
I would say allow it to advance either Dragon Shaman auras (PHBII) or Dragonfire Adept invocations (Dragon Magic).

... or Dragonfire Adept breath weapons and breath effects. Breath weapons should definitely be a part of the DD class.

insecure
2008-12-05, 06:04 PM
It seems kind of...plain. You gain a bunch of passive abilities and static bonuses but nothing to really do.

This especially hurts, because anyone whose base class isn't Fighter is going to be losing flavor as well as effectiveness on their base abilities.

It needs to advance something. Spellcasting, psionics, rage, unarmed damage, wildshaping, binding, incarnum, invoking- something.

The Dragon Shaman auras and the Dragonfire Adept Invocations sounds fitting, but I don't own the books. Could someone help me implement these ideas?

Lappy9000
2008-12-05, 06:08 PM
Didn't the original prestige class add on to pre-existing caster levels?

insecure
2008-12-05, 06:12 PM

No, it only gave you bonus spells, which you added to your bonus spells granted by a high modifier in your casting stat.

Xefas
2008-12-05, 06:20 PM

No. It didn't raise your Caster Level or give you access to new spells. It merely gave you a small number of additional spells per day for the levels of spells you already knew.

So, yes, your Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 10 would still throw a 6d6 fireball.

The Dragon Shaman auras and the Dragonfire Adept Invocations sounds fitting, but I don't own the books. Could someone help me implement these ideas?

Dragon Shaman is from the Player's Handbook II and the Dragonfire Adept is from Dragon Magic. I would simply add an extra column to your table that says "+1 to existing draconic class feature".

Then, under the list of class features, add:

Draconic Class Features: When a new Dragon Disciple level is gained, you also gain additional Draconic Auras, Draconic Invocations, or Breath Weapon damage (your choice) as if you had also gained a level in either Dragon Shaman or Dragonfire Adept. In addition, you add your Dragon Disciple levels to your Dragonfire Adept levels to determine your effective caster level for Draconic Invocations.