PDA

View Full Version : Booze discussion!

WoWganker
2008-12-02, 04:34 PM
Let's talk about alcohol!

Quite possibly the best thing in the universe, drinking alcohol is always a good idea. As such, let's discuss the many varieties of alcoholic beverages available for our enjoyment. I only moved here to PA a couple years ago, from my home state of Texas, and so far I've hated everything about this area except for one thing: a locally brewed lager called YUENGLING. It is quite possibly the one of the tastiest beers I've had, and you can get it pretty cheap around these parts. The brewery is in Pottsville, so I may just visit it one day and congratulate everyone working there for being the one shining beacon of goodness in this otherwise unpleasent state.

Apart from that, I pretty much like whatever is cheapest. Not into all that fancy overpriced stuff, in fact I LIKE that wine that comes in a box (I also like telling that to snootty psuedo-intellectuals at wine tastings).

So, how do my fellow giantitp forum dwellers like to wet their whistles, so to speak?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-02, 04:36 PM
Yay for alcohol.
Erm, I mean not for another six months till I'm off legal (light) drinking age.

Also, serious respect for people who don't drink.

late for dinner
2008-12-02, 04:45 PM
There are 2 types of Tennisee Whiskey...Jack Daniels: The more Popular one
and George Dickles: The Better tasting one. I also enjoy a Long Island Iced Tea, Most Micro Brews, and Captain Morgan with Coke...I feel like a pirate...except for the Coke

skywalker
2008-12-02, 04:48 PM
...I feel like a pirate...except for the Coke

This is priceless... I think we'll let you keep you pirate card... I don't think even Blackbeard could've stood Cap'n Morgan straight.

DraPrime
2008-12-02, 04:49 PM
Yay for alcohol.
Erm, I mean not for another six months till I'm off legal (light) drinking age.

Also, serious respect for people who don't drink.

Heh, 5 years for me you lucky European.

But I myself have always liked beer. No, not the crap that we get over here in America. Except maybe Sam Adams. That's good stuff.

Lord Herman
2008-12-02, 04:50 PM
I like a glass of whiskey now and then. Preferably Jameson, but there are plenty of other good whiskeys out there, Scotch and Irish.

As for beer, meh. With an exception for Guinness.

three08
2008-12-02, 04:52 PM
you can get yuengling in new york city too, which is possibly the diametric opposite of pennsylvania. dunno about pittsburgh - probably somewhere in the middle, i guess.

new york city also has the brooklyn brewery, which makes a really excellent brown ale. i'm less fond of their main brew, but it's okay on the whole.

negra modelo is surprisingly good for cheap mexican beer.

i lived in honolulu for a while and they have a really excellent brewery out there, too. turns out coffee ain't the only thing that grows really well in that fertile volcanic soil.

however, i am originally from denver. i can't cite a source, but i recall hearing somewheres that colorado is the state with the third-most microbreweries in the country. so, kinda spoiled for choice. one of those is my favorite beer that i've had, to this day. i don't remember the brewery, but it was called 90 schilling ale. damn fine beer, that.

i'm also partial to the mike's line of malted fruit-like beverages though.

>.>
what?
>.>
<.<

as to harder stuff, i'm partial to black russians, or gin drinks. specially gin sours. also i am not above fruity girl drinks. silence, heathens - they are yummy.

eta that i didn't care for beer myself, until i had that 90 schilling ale and realized that it wasn't supposed to taste like budweiser - that in fact budweiser is a blasphemous abomination.

Zorander
2008-12-02, 04:55 PM
Been through Denver, liked the beer Odell Brewing Co, http://www.odells.com/beers/classics/90_shilling.aspx

RTGoodman
2008-12-02, 04:56 PM
Ooh, ooh, over here! I've done my share of drinking since I turned 21 back in September (not in the "go party and get drunk every night" sense, but in "have a drink every evening or so" sense).

I don't know how you drink Yeungling, though - I can't stand the stuff. Maybe it's better if it's local, but when I had it here in NC it was pretty bad. That said, Red Oak is one of our local brews around where I live, and it's pretty good. Natty Greene's (http://www.bigdraft.com/index2.html) also does their share of making good local beers, and I've been there a few times for dinner and a couple o' pints.

As far as beers go, though, I'm kinda picky. I don't have a particular kinda that I always drink, but I almost always try to avoid the generic American beers (Bud, Michelob, etc.). Recently I've been drinking pale ales (especially microbrewed ones) and wheat beers (like Blue Moon) quite a bit, but I've got a Newcastle, a Harp Lager, and a couple others in the fridge left to try, too. (Man, I LOVE places that let you make your own six-pack. :smallbiggrin:) I do love me some Sam Adams, though - their Octoberfest is GREAT, and I like their Irish Red, too.

My current favorite liquor, like Lord Herman, apparently, is Jameson Irish Whiskey - I just refuse to drink it out in public. Apparently they charge like $8 a SHOT for it at some of the places I've been, but I can get drink it at home for MUCH cheaper. As far as other liquors, I'm not a fan of vodkas at all and don't drink much gin either, but I've been getting into more of the "classic" mixed drinks recently just to try them out when I go to restaurants/bars/pubs.

Player_Zero
2008-12-02, 05:16 PM
All the coolest guys don't drink.

Booo drink-culture!

Fan
2008-12-02, 05:33 PM
Tis true, and I after visiting a Rehab clinic, and seeing soem of them ore severe cases will NEVER EVER on my LIFE drink a drop.

Linkavitch
2008-12-02, 05:37 PM
Personally, I don't drink, (I'd better not till I'm 21, anyway, and preferably not at all. . .{utmost respect to people who do drink.}) but I've always wanted to know what a Screwdriver tastes like. (2 parts OJ, 1 part vodka)

Don Julio Anejo
2008-12-02, 05:46 PM
Look at my username :biggrin: / of discussion..

Outside of tequila, I also love rum (pretty much any kind), a lot of liqueurs, especially Bailey's and Frangelico, nicer whiskey like Johny Walker Black or Glenfidditch (my parents always have a big stash of it) and sometimes vodka. But I'm really picky about it... Smirnoff I can't stand no matter what. The only ones that are remotely decent (compared to higher-end Russian stuff) are Finlandia and Stolichnaya.

Beer... Guiness, Kokanee (our local Canadian stuff), Sleemann's and pretty much any Belgian Blonde beer (like Leffe).

FdL
2008-12-02, 05:54 PM
Let's talk about alcohol!

Quite possibly the best thing in the universe, drinking alcohol is always a good idea.

Not always.

RTGoodman
2008-12-02, 05:56 PM
Personally, I don't drink, (I'd better not till I'm 21, anyway, and preferably not at all. . .{utmost respect to people who do drink.}) but I've always wanted to know what a Screwdriver tastes like. (2 parts OJ, 1 part vodka)

Well, I haven't tried one before, but I imagine it tastes like exactly what you'd think - orange juice and alcohol with the "pleasant" burn of vodka. I've got a little Grey Goose left over from when we made White Russians one night (which is something I was NOT a fan of), so I may make one later and get back to you.

@Don Julio: Man, I wish my parents kept a stash of good alcohol. The only things we usually have are things I buy (Jameson, Johnny Walker, Jagermeister occasionally, etc.) and their Jim Beam bourbon (which I HATE) and occasionally some kind Canadian whiskey (Canadian Club, Crown Royal, etc.). I've been meaning to try Glenfiddich for a while, but it's so expensive that I haven't yet. (One of my friends did get some of their 30 Year Old at a bar once, but it cost him some ridiculous amount and he refuses to get it again... :smalltongue:)

Obrysii
2008-12-02, 05:59 PM
I myself have a growing fondness for Guinness and Brandy/Whiskey Ol' Fashions. Also, Whiskey Sours.

Tamburlaine
2008-12-02, 06:02 PM
I must admit, I like a drink every now and again (and again, and again, and again...). Gin is my favourite - usually with tonic, but gimlets are nice as well.
The most interesting drink I've ever had was a greek beer called mythos, which lead to many bad call of cthulhu jokes.

Also, well done to those who don't drink; it's the sensible thing to do.:smalltongue:

Totally Guy
2008-12-02, 06:14 PM
I was talking to a work colleague today and I pointed out that so far this year I have had alcohol on about 9 occasions.

I'd drink more but I just can't seem to find the social situations that allow it. And I end up being the designated driver quite a bit too.

snoopy13a
2008-12-02, 06:42 PM
I like Yeungling. Back in my college days it was our cult beer as we couldn't get it locally. So, whenever those from Pennslyvania went home, they brought back Yuengling. Now, they have increased production so it is much easier to get.

Beer wise, I like: Guinness, Harp's, Bass, Newcastle, Sam Adams, Saranac, Yeungling, St. Pauli Girl, and Corona (for summer drinking). But, I'm not too picky. I'll drink any beer. After all, the beer I've drank the most is Beast Light :smalltongue:

For wines, I like dry reds particulary Chianti, Cab Sauvignon, and Pinot Noir. My absolute favorite wine is Bordeaux (particulary the ones that highlight Cab Sauvignon). I hardly drink it though because of the cost.

For liquor, I stick with gin. Mostly martinis or gin and tonics for me although I will drink an occasional Margarita.

Hazkali
2008-12-02, 06:45 PM
Ah, alcohol. My attitude to drinking (and drinking culture in general) is best summed up by a plaque in one of my local pubs, which reads something like "To all the ladies and gentlemen who can take their drink and still remain ladies and gentlemen". I don't have any special respect for teetotalers, but I do have a loathing for anyone who goes out, gets hammered and then fouls up the streets with vomit and worse :smallfurious:.

Anyway, my favourite beverages are Ales, Beers, Ciders, or if I want something a little harder, Gin and Tonic. My basic approach to alcohol is that the quality is always inversely proportional to the size/fame of the brewery or brand involved. Yay for Microbreweries! Gordon's is quite nice, but I prefer Bombay Saphire.

On the things I don't like, I'm not a big fan of largers (including any supposed Beer that is actually a larger). I no longer refer to Strongbow as a cider, but as a "fermented apple flavoured alcoholic beverage", because once you try something like Weston's, Strongbow just tastes like drinking sandpaper.

Syka
2008-12-02, 07:04 PM
Neither I nor my boyfriend drink, but I may be needing some alcohol at some point and I don't really have anyone to ask this too (long story as to why I need to ask).

I need something that doesn't taste like alcohol, though, because I can't stand the taste. I'm thinking Baileys (I had a sip of a friend's and liked it), and I've also heard Mike's Hard Lemonade or Kahlua would be good.

As I said, I'd need something to mask the taste. I wouldn't be drinking much, so preferably something that also comes in a smallish container (I don't want to waste it). Also nothing that would knock me out since I've only ever had sips before.

Not a huge fan of wines, as well. Although I think that may be more a case of needing to try higher quality wine than an overall dislike of wine.

Cheers~

Icewalker
2008-12-02, 07:07 PM
I've found, from my limited experience, that I really dislike the taste of alcohol. Which I'm fine with. That way I'll never have to worry about any of the problems with it.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-12-02, 07:21 PM
@ Syka: pretty much an liqueur will not taste like alcohol. It'll taste like whatever flavour it has with a slight tinge of alcohol. Kahlua I wouldn't recommend unless you're a big fan of coffee. It taste like fairly strong very sweet coffee with tons of milk.

Also, Jagermeister. It's 35% but you don't feel the alcohol (although that may just be me since I drink pretty much everything straight up). Obviously it's much better in jagerbomb format - take a glass around 1 pint in size. Take a shotglass, fill it with Jager and put it on the bottom of the big glass. Fill the big glass to the rim of the shotglass with Red Bull (so the two drinks don't mix).

Enjoy :smile: Just make sure everything (including the glasses) is cooled down first, otherwise it tastes weird.

DraPrime
2008-12-02, 07:28 PM
Tis true, and I after visiting a Rehab clinic, and seeing soem of them ore severe cases will NEVER EVER on my LIFE drink a drop.

If you drink in moderation you won't end up an alcoholic. It's not very difficult to restrain yourself.

rayne_dragon
2008-12-02, 07:44 PM
Drinking until you vomit = bad
Drinking a glass of wine every day = good

Personally I cook a lot of things that use liquor, so I eat most of my booze. When I do drink I tend to drink Bailey's or Brandy mixed with sprite. I'll drink almost anything, but I tend to water it down until it's between 10-20% alcoholic content by Volume.

Kjata
2008-12-02, 08:09 PM
This is priceless... I think we'll let you keep you pirate card... I don't think even Blackbeard could've stood Cap'n Morgan straight.

He damn well better have had, 151 rum is way worse, and i sophmore year i was drinking that **** like water. After a summer off, i found i liked tequila better, so my junior year is a tequila year so far. Tarantula is my favorite, but you can't even taste the alcohol in it. Jose Cuervo is also pretty good.

:smalleek:

I mean, I'm 24, definately not in high school. Heh, heh...

but I've always wanted to know what a Screwdriver tastes like. (2 parts OJ, 1 part vodka)
Gross, Id imagine. OJ and hard A don't really mix.

WoWganker
2008-12-02, 08:14 PM
{Scrubbed}

snoopy13a
2008-12-02, 08:17 PM
Neither I nor my boyfriend drink, but I may be needing some alcohol at some point and I don't really have anyone to ask this too (long story as to why I need to ask).

I need something that doesn't taste like alcohol, though, because I can't stand the taste. I'm thinking Baileys (I had a sip of a friend's and liked it), and I've also heard Mike's Hard Lemonade or Kahlua would be good.

As I said, I'd need something to mask the taste. I wouldn't be drinking much, so preferably something that also comes in a smallish container (I don't want to waste it). Also nothing that would knock me out since I've only ever had sips before.

Not a huge fan of wines, as well. Although I think that may be more a case of needing to try higher quality wine than an overall dislike of wine.

Cheers~

Hmm, wine coolers should be a good choice. White Russians and Whiskey Sours might work as well. Quite a few mixed drinks are designed to mask the alcohol taste. Even the infamous Long Island Ice Tea (contains about three to four shots of liquor) doesn't taste too much like alcohol if mixed right.

Quality beer and wine is an aquired taste similiar to coffee. The only way to like the taste of alcohol is to drink it first. As for wines, the lower quality wines are usually more approachable while the high quality wines are aquired tastes.

Copacetic
2008-12-02, 08:24 PM
8 More Years till I'm allowed to drink where I Live. Though in Canada it could be in as little as 5 years. Guess I'll just drive north Some.

Though Of The Champaign I have Tasted, I quite like it.:smallsmile:

mercurymaline
2008-12-02, 08:25 PM

Is that how it's done? I've always made 'em the other way around.

@Syka: Vodka doesn't have much taste on its own. Easily masked by any sort of citrus or strong juice. Or Kool-Aid. Or Coffee...
Likewise gin and some rums, anything completely clear.

@^: Ick. Champagne doesn't sit well with me, what with the bubbly. Makes me belch foam.

GoC
2008-12-02, 08:31 PM

Booo drink-culture!

Aye.:smallcool:

Nefarion Xid
2008-12-02, 08:48 PM
Just about all you need to know...

Beers: Killian's (the old standby), Leinenkugel, Delirium Tremens, Blue Moon

Drinks that may kill you: "Vampire's Blood", the house speciality of the "Pour House" in Lubbock Texas. Served layered in a martini glass with rumplemintz, grenadine, and bacardi 151. Straw goes to the bottom. Say goodbye to your friends, because in about 15 minutes you won't remember the rest of the night. Roughly 1/3 as potent as a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

Copacetic
2008-12-02, 08:53 PM
@^: Ick. Champagne doesn't sit well with me, what with the bubbly. Makes me belch foam.

Really? Mine Wasn't Bubbly.

>.>
<.<

Odd. Belching Foam is pretty neat though.

Syka
2008-12-02, 09:27 PM
I'll add that my not drinking is just a personal choice due to not liking the taste and not really looking for a buzz (I get enough of that while sober). :) Most of my friends back home drink, so no worries.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Cheers,
Syka

mercurymaline
2008-12-02, 09:54 PM
Just about all you need to know...

Beers: Killian's (the old standby), Leinenkugel, Delirium Tremens, Blue Moon

Drinks that may kill you: "Vampire's Blood", the house speciality of the "Pour House" in Lubbock Texas. Served layered in a martini glass with rumplemintz, grenadine, and bacardi 151. Straw goes to the bottom. Say goodbye to your friends, because in about 15 minutes you won't remember the rest of the night. Roughly 1/3 as potent as a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

Must drink this...

I've sworn, all on separate occasions, that I would never drink Champagne, Jager, brandy, sake, or tonic again. It stands for everything but brandy. A friend of a friend makes his own, and it's dangerously smooth. When you can't tell you're drinking alcohol, no good can come of it. (Tonic also makes me belch foam. Maybe there's just something wrong with me...)

TheThan
2008-12-02, 09:59 PM
another appropriate linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ROBdkVlPU) brought to you by TheThan.

*Takes a bows*

reorith
2008-12-02, 10:04 PM

Booo drink-culture!

i lol'd

i like to drink gin and tonic with my rifle across my lap. it makes me feel like a british colonial game hunter on safari.

while i was in spain, i had beer and olives for a meal at least once a day.

Nefarion Xid
2008-12-02, 10:20 PM
Must drink this...

I've sworn, all on separate occasions, that I would never drink Champagne, Jager, brandy, sake, or tonic again. It stands for everything but brandy. A friend of a friend makes his own, and it's dangerously smooth. When you can't tell you're drinking alcohol, no good can come of it. (Tonic also makes me belch foam. Maybe there's just something wrong with me...)

Funny you mention it. My friend makes a drink called "The Rabid Wombat"...but that's really just a failed attempt at a Long Island with too much gin... I'd do the vampire again.

Preface: The Vampire is served with 2 ounces of 151 floating.

mercurymaline
2008-12-02, 10:23 PM
Funny you mention it. My friend makes a drink called "The Rabid Wombat"...but that's really just a failed attempt at a Long Island with too much gin... I'd do the vampire again.

Preface: The Vampire is served with 2 ounces of 151 floating.

Hmm...Long Island +1 oz gin. So a Morbid Wombat would be...a Long Island +1 oz Absinthe? I like the sound of that.

Also, there's a sort of vodka drink here called a vampire. I have no idea what's in it (other than vodka,) and it's really not that good.

RTGoodman
2008-12-02, 10:27 PM
Hmm...Long Island +1 oz gin. So a Morbid Wombat would be...a Long Island +1 oz Absinthe? I like the sound of that.

Also, there's a sort of vodka drink here called a vampire. I have no idea what's in it (other than vodka,) and it's really not that good.

You know, my local ABC store has started selling an "Absinthe" product that's perfectly legal - I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to eventually. (Especially since they have a "Christmas gift set" of it that comes with the absinthe spoon and everything.)

mercurymaline
2008-12-02, 10:40 PM
You know, my local ABC store has started selling an "Absinthe" product that's perfectly legal - I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to eventually. (Especially since they have a "Christmas gift set" of it that comes with the absinthe spoon and everything.)

Eh, American absinthe is low in thujone. Doesn't make a huge difference, I think. (It became legal in the US in 07, BTW, anything carried before then is a different mix, not really absinthe.)

I can't really figure how else you'd make a Morbid Wombat. What's morbid, other than absinthe? There's this stuff called Dead Guy Ale, which is about the foulest everlovin' crap ever.

Flame of Anor
2008-12-02, 10:42 PM

Booo drink-culture!

Player_Zero has said it!

SilverSheriff
2008-12-02, 10:51 PM
The first drink I had was at a friends place we had Bundy Rum and Cola, we followed with some Goon (box wine) and at my cousin's birthday we snatched some Rum and Vodka and did shots.

good times...

mercurymaline
2008-12-02, 11:01 PM

Booo drink-culture!

Alright, you. Drinking isn't a culture, it's an activity. "Drinker" is not a slice in the pie of my personality. I drink a couple times a month at karaoke. I don't drive, fight, or act an a$$. I sing.

Syka
2008-12-02, 11:26 PM
Alright, you. Drinking isn't a culture, it's an activity. "Drinker" is not a slice in the pie of my personality. I drink a couple times a month at karaoke. I don't drive, fight, or act an a$$. I sing.

For some people, it is part of their personality. I know a girl whose pictures on myspace are 75+% of her with a drink in hand, and she spends a number nights a week at the bars, and all. It's part of her life.

Some people it is, others it isn't.

Cheers,
Syka

skywalker
2008-12-03, 12:46 AM
He damn well better have had, 151 rum is way worse, and i sophmore year i was drinking that **** like water. After a summer off, i found i liked tequila better, so my junior year is a tequila year so far. Tarantula is my favorite, but you can't even taste the alcohol in it. Jose Cuervo is also pretty good.

:smalleek:

I mean, I'm 24, definately not in high school. Heh, heh...

Gross, Id imagine. OJ and hard A don't really mix.

It's not the amount of alcohol in the ol' Cap'n, it's those damned spices. If there happens to be consequences the morning after, Cap'n makes those worse, too. Just a bad idea all 'round. I'd easily drink 151 before Cap'n Morgan again.

Oh, and screwdrivers are perfect little things. I love orange juice, and I've only ever had them with good vodka, but damn, that's where it's at, IMO. Very, very smooth. There's a reason it's a classic.

Finally, I'm surprised that in a forum as young as ours, no one has mentioned jell-o shots yet. How could you guys not mention jell-o shots?

RTGoodman
2008-12-03, 01:06 AM
Finally, I'm surprised that in a forum as young as ours, no one has mentioned jell-o shots yet. How could you guys not mention jell-o shots?

Well, like PJ and certain other drinks, I've never really seen them outside house parties, and I don't go to enough of them or drink enough while I'm there to really get into that kind of thing. Same thing with Jager-Bombs, too, except most bars will serve those now. (I still don't drink them, though - I haven't had a caffeinated beverage since like 2004, and Red Bull is basically JUST caffeine.)

Speakin' of those kinds of parties though, I did discover the absolute WORST beer at one a couple of years back. I wasn't even drinking (I was both under 21 and DD), but someone brought in a case of Steel Reserve and not even the drunk college kids would drink the stuff.

In other news, we didn't have any orange juice here so I'm out of luck on trying a Screwdriver, but I AM having myself a bit o' Jameson right now. Cheers! *Raises drink before imbibing*

skywalker
2008-12-03, 02:36 AM
Well, like PJ and certain other drinks, I've never really seen them outside house parties, and I don't go to enough of them or drink enough while I'm there to really get into that kind of thing. Same thing with Jager-Bombs, too, except most bars will serve those now. (I still don't drink them, though - I haven't had a caffeinated beverage since like 2004, and Red Bull is basically JUST caffeine.)

Never have I ever(or would I ever) drink anything containing Red Bull.

Here at the good ol' University of Tennessee, Jell-O shots (orange, of course) are a big hit at tailgates, from ages ... well, up until about age 55 :smallwink:

Our frats also have actual beer thrones.

But you don't have to drink too many for it to be enough, of that I can assure you. Nor do you really... "drink" them, so much as eat. An once you've had one, you've had them all.

Charity
2008-12-03, 03:45 AM
I have drunk just about every booze there is, even the stuff with lumps in.
I think I'll plump for red wine as my drink of choice, though anything thats not sweet is generally a goer.

Player_Zero has said it!

Yeah but no one took him seriously.

I was talking to a work colleague today and I pointed out that so far this year I have had alcohol on about 9 occasions.

I'd drink more but I just can't seem to find the social situations that allow it. And I end up being the designated driver quite a bit too.

Let me fix that for you at the GiTP UK meetup Glug my old fella, I shall summon Ikkie the beer fairy.

WoWganker
2008-12-03, 04:27 AM
{Scrubbed}

rubakhin
2008-12-03, 05:02 AM
I don't have a drinking problem. I'm just differently tolerant. :smallbiggrin:

I dunno, my tastes in drinking aren't that special. I like whiskey and vodka in particular. What kinds? Whatever kinds I can get my hands on. Do I mix them with anything? No, that is terrible. Do I like beer? I cannot like beer, you have to drink like forty of them to get drunk and they taste like crap.

(Exceptions to the rule: Stella Artois and Smithwick's are okay, I used to have a bottle of one or the other in the morning to have something to swallow my pills with. Sometimes I have Irish coffee or White Russian with breakfast. They're sweet and they go nice with a big stack of pancakes, and you don't want any kind of serious alcohol that early in the morning.)

I guess I've got a bit of a preference for Stoli. Smirnoff isn't great but I can work with it, Absolut isn't bad, Pan Tadeusz is good if only because when I drink it I suddenly remember all the words to the Polish national anthem ... if it tastes like vodka and it'll get me drunk, I can like it. Whiskey, I think it's all equally disgusting, although when I have a choice I go for Gentleman Jack cause it's cheap. I don't like it at all, never took to the taste and I hate the way I feel when I'm whiskey drunk. But when I'm in the absolute depths of despair, I always go to whiskey, I don't know why. (Maybe I'm a masochist? :smallsigh:)

The absolute worst thing ever is flavored vodka. I drank a little bottle of Absolut Peppar and a little bottle of Absolut Ruby Red or whatever is called the grapefruit stuff. I've drunk all kinds of horrible and mysterious things when I've run out of actual alcohol, and none of it tasted anywhere near as bad as that stuff. Eeueughgh. :smallyuk:

Of course I should not be in this thread because I'm not old enough to drink yet technically. Jeez, by the time they let you drink in America you're already an old guy and ready to settle down and be responsible. How unfair. :smallmad:

User Name
2008-12-03, 05:23 AM
I like a drink of one part vodka and one part apple juice. I call it "vodka and apple juice".

Personally I cook a lot of things that use liquor, so I eat most of my booze.

F everyone's i, cooking with beer or liquor or wine evaporates the alcohol, so what you're consuming is just a mishmash of wheat and hops or whatever and not actually "booze".

I haven't gotten wrecked lately, maybe I should go to the store...

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-03, 06:04 AM
I don't have a drinking problem. I'm just differently tolerant. :smallbiggrin:

I dunno, my tastes in drinking aren't that special. I like whiskey and vodka in particular. What kinds? Whatever kinds I can get my hands on. Do I mix them with anything? No, that is terrible. Do I like beer? I cannot like beer, you have to drink like forty of them to get drunk and they taste like crap.

(Exceptions to the rule: Stella Artois and Smithwick's are okay, I used to have a bottle of one or the other in the morning to have something to swallow my pills with. Sometimes I have Irish coffee or White Russian with breakfast. They're sweet and they go nice with a big stack of pancakes, and you don't want any kind of serious alcohol that early in the morning.)

I guess I've got a bit of a preference for Stoli. Smirnoff isn't great but I can work with it, Absolut isn't bad, Pan Tadeusz is good if only because when I drink it I suddenly remember all the words to the Polish national anthem ... if it tastes like vodka and it'll get me drunk, I can like it. Whiskey, I think it's all equally disgusting, although when I have a choice I go for Gentleman Jack cause it's cheap. I don't like it at all, never took to the taste and I hate the way I feel when I'm whiskey drunk. But when I'm in the absolute depths of despair, I always go to whiskey, I don't know why. (Maybe I'm a masochist? :smallsigh:)

The absolute worst thing ever is flavored vodka. I drank a little bottle of Absolut Peppar and a little bottle of Absolut Ruby Red or whatever is called the grapefruit stuff. I've drunk all kinds of horrible and mysterious things when I've run out of actual alcohol, and none of it tasted anywhere near as bad as that stuff. Eeueughgh. :smallyuk:

Of course I should not be in this thread because I'm not old enough to drink yet technically. Jeez, by the time they let you drink in America you're already an old guy and ready to settle down and be responsible. How unfair. :smallmad:
Long live dutch drinking laws then, ehh?

Charity
2008-12-03, 06:47 AM
{Scrubbed}

I'm hoping this is not true, defacing graves is not cool drunk or not.

Totally Guy
2008-12-03, 07:12 AM
Let me fix that for you at the GiTP UK meetup Glug my old fella, I shall summon Ikkie the beer fairy.

Would be very possible if it's held at a hotel.:smallsmile:

charl
2008-12-03, 09:49 AM
Isn't this topic technically against forum rules? "Discussions of drugs illegal or legal" should include alcohol shouldn't it?

Don Julio Anejo
2008-12-03, 03:47 PM
Isn't this topic technically against forum rules? "Discussions of drugs illegal or legal" should include alcohol shouldn't it?
Huh? :confused:

Bouregard
2008-12-03, 04:12 PM
Heh, 5 years for me you lucky European.

Don't think so. We in germany got quite some problems with teenagers and alcohol. And it really depresses me to see young boys and girls sitting around midday in the tram drinking cheap beer. Wrrrrhh...

I for myself pretty much beer only. In a bar usually something clear. Vodka is good thing. I don't touch coctails or those sweetthings. I prever to stay mostly sober. A little bit tipsy is ok. but I never want to wake up and ask myself "Hey, what did I do last night?"

Destro_Yersul
2008-12-03, 08:30 PM

Not at all. The actual forum rule is 'No illegal drugs'. So Tylenol, Alcohol and Buckley's are all fine topics.

On the subject of alcohol, I like long-island Iced Tea, several varieties of beer and rum. Admittedly I haven't tried much other than that. Oh, and Bailey's. Bailey's is good.

User Name
2008-12-03, 08:48 PM

Well if we're going to get really anal about the rules then we should ban conversations about aspirin and inhalers, too.

Edit: beaten. The lag is so bad that it takes nearly ten minutes for a reply window to open. :smallfrown:

Haven
2008-12-03, 11:44 PM
Edit: beaten. The lag is so bad that it takes nearly ten minutes for a reply window to open. :smallfrown:

Heh, for a while I was worried cause I'd just gotten a new laptop, but then noticed the only ridiculous lag was here...

As I opened the thread I was sipping on some wine - the label's Scarlatta, it's cheap but tasty. I got a bottle for a party I'm throwing Friday - a toga party. I'm not in a frat and my friends are all nerdgeeks, but some friends and I were joking about it, and I thought, hey, why not. Mainly the impetus was that I recently acquired a taste for drinking games, and after some friends invited me to their place to play, I decided I could return the favor - and add in togas!

But yeah, for booze? Corona, wine (and champagne), and Bailey's are my favorites, but I'm pretty open.

Thes Hunter
2008-12-03, 11:59 PM
I am a big fan of girly drinks.

Mikes is awesome. I especially like the lime.

Nuts and Berries is one of my favorite (had two tonight at a vendor meeting)

Nuts & Berries
Put ice in glass
Fill glass 66% of way up with Chambord
Splash in a thin layer of Frangelicp
Add 1/2 and 1/2 until glass if full

Watch out or you might find yourself drunker than you think. :smallbiggrin:

de-trick
2008-12-04, 12:35 AM
I'd rather have the hard stuff such as rye, vodka, whiskey, or even better homebrew. And could drink a 26 by myself in a night sipping on it

But going to partys and other places it is more common to have a beer instead, and the last thing i want to drink, my last option, I always ask if theres some whiskey first

But the biggest party wont be till the end of june, in my town Countryfest $200 for a 4-day drunk, my friends girlfriend asked me why would you spend that much to go get hammered, i said why not its only money($200 isnt even with booze just ticket + campsite, its the biggest thing in town tickets were on sale last week sold out in about 1 day, and it isnt till june)

skywalker
2008-12-04, 01:26 AM

I... think that's the theory. Which is probably what encourages some of our young twenty-somethings (generally males) to make drunk asses of themselves well beyond the age when they should be settling down: they didn't get a legal chance when they were supposed to be making asses of themselves.

I'm pretty sure I'd done settled down before my first sip, tho, so what can you do?

Nuts and Berries is one of my favorite (had two tonight at a vendor meeting)

Nuts & Berries
Put ice in glass
Fill glass 66% of way up with Chambord
Splash in a thin layer of Frangelicp
Add 1/2 and 1/2 until glass if full

*Is allergic to nuts and thus, unable to ever experience this concoction. I hear Franjelica is very high on the list of liquers. Chambord's pretty durn good too, tho.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-12-04, 03:53 AM
But the biggest party wont be till the end of june, in my town Countryfest $200 for a 4-day drunk, my friends girlfriend asked me why would you spend that much to go get hammered, i said why not its only money($200 isnt even with booze just ticket + campsite, its the biggest thing in town tickets were on sale last week sold out in about 1 day, and it isnt till june)
If your friend ever asks again, tell her you know a guy who blew that much in a single night (and didn't even get hammered, just barely buzzed). Granted it WAS New Year's eve in one of the most popular nightclubs in Vancouver, but still.

PS: yes, I'm stupid. And no, I'm not doing that again unless it's New Years, Tiesto or Paul Van Dyk is there and there are free drinks.. A giant waste of money.

charl
2008-12-04, 04:37 AM
I'm probably going to get some booze today for my long weekend (I'm a student, all my weekends are long). I'm thinking some whiskey and some glögg (Swedish winter drink made from fortified wine and spices, kinda like German glühwein).

You don't feel as bad about drinking heavily during the winter here. You can always blame it on the cold. Plus, it's Christmas season. Being drunk is traditional.

Player_Zero
2008-12-04, 06:28 AM
I'm referring to the binge-drinking culture. The 'getting smashed because all your friends do it' culture. Not you in particular.

i lol'd
i like to drink gin and tonic with my rifle across my lap. it makes me feel like a british colonial game hunter on safari.
while i was in spain, i had beer and olives for a meal at least once a day.
So, you drink because it makes you feel like a big man? ...Literally?

Yeah but no one took him seriously.

They didn't? Huh. I'll have to work on being more sincere.

I concluded my logical deduction via this ways:
I am the coolest person.
I do not drink.
Therefore the coolest person doesn't drink.

And yeah, I was not drinking before it was cool too, so I guess I have the whole indie angle there too.

But meh. You can chose to get regularly drunk, it's just not a decision I agree with.

Lord Herman
2008-12-04, 06:41 AM
But meh. You can chose to get regularly drunk, it's just not a decision I agree with.

You can drunk without getting drink, you know. :P

SilverSheriff
2008-12-04, 07:17 AM
I'm referring to the binge-drinking culture. The 'getting smashed because all your friends do it' culture. Not you in particular.

They didn't? Huh. I'll have to work on being more sincere.

I concluded my logical deduction via this ways:
I am the coolest person.
I do not drink.
Therefore the coolest person doesn't drink.

And yeah, I was not drinking before it was cool too, so I guess I have the whole indie angle there too.

You need to come drinking with people like me. the people like me; social drinkers, who talk about stuff whilst nursing a can of Bundy, and then there are guys like my friend 'Steve' who drinks and is drunk and unconscious by 9:00PM (we usually start drinking at 8:00PM).

You would enjoy it, I promise you.

Vagnarok
2008-12-04, 11:53 AM
Drinking until you vomit = bad
Drinking a glass of wine every day = good
Just make sure that it's red wine. White wine isn't good for your heart at all. I believe it's the tannin that's good for you, but it might be something else.

{Scrubbed}
This is one of those things where you're kidding if you offend someone, and if everyone agrees then you weren't, right?
Well the choice is yours pal: {Scrubbed}

{Scrubbed}
Good god I hope you were kidding.

Before anyone says something about Absinthe being hallucinogenic, please check your facts. It is not a hallucinogen at all. Wormwood extract is not a hallucinogen. Seriously, even Wikipedia knows this one.
Just a pet peeve of mine.

I... think that's the theory. Which is probably what encourages some of our young twenty-somethings (generally males) to make drunk asses of themselves well beyond the age when they should be settling down: they didn't get a legal chance when they were supposed to be making asses of themselves.

I'm pretty sure I'd done settled down before my first sip, tho, so what can you do?

The reason that drinking ages in the US are so high is that alcohol has been clinically shown to reduce and damage brain function. By raising the drinking age, the government hoped to make it more difficult for young people to go and stunt the growth of their prefrontal lobes (which aren't finished developing until about age 22, on average). Young people who drink are seriously damaging their brains! Please think before you drink under age.

Tamburlaine
2008-12-04, 12:01 PM
I'm referring to the binge-drinking culture. The 'getting smashed because all your friends do it' culture. (...) it's just not a decision I agree with.

Now there's an agreeable sentiment. It may sound like a cliche, but "all things in moderation" is a damn good philosophy as far as I'm concerned. Too much booze can be very bad indeed.

On the subject of specific drinks, I just recently discovered - to my complete surprise - that I like guinness. Has anyone else ended up liking a drink they thought they wouldn't?

Vagnarok
2008-12-04, 12:05 PM
Oh man, Guiness is gooood. I was lucky enough to have some at the brewery in Ireland during a visit.

WoWganker
2008-12-04, 12:09 PM
This is one of those things where you're kidding if you offend someone, and if everyone agrees then you weren't, right?
Well the choice is yours pal: {Scrubbed}

{Scrubbed}

Good god I hope you were kidding.

Nope. That really happened.

Telonius
2008-12-04, 12:20 PM
Sam Adams, Rogue, Old Dominion, Otter Creek/Wolaver's, and Troeg's are pretty good US beers. A lot of the other mass-produced "beers," I don't even consider to be beer.

I tried Budweiser's American Ale awhile back just to see if they improved. It is pretty wretched, though I did notice something very strange. I left a six-pack of it out on the counter for a few days, room temperature, and it became drinkable. Not good, mind you, but drinkable.

Kneenibble
2008-12-04, 01:58 PM
Is allergic to nuts and thus, unable to ever experience this concoction. I hear Franjelica is very high on the list of liquers. Chambord's pretty durn good too, tho.

For the record, sir, I am allergic to nuts too, and I have drunk Frangelica without reaction.

reorith
2008-12-04, 02:07 PM

eh. period correct firearms require period correct cocktails. i teach second grade to feel like a "big man" i'm 5'2" btw.

three08
2008-12-04, 02:24 PM
good seasonal one is egg nog and frangelico. i like that a lot better than with rum. you lose the sharp alcohol taste of the rum, and the more syrupy liquer mixes nicely with the more creamy eggnog.

skywalker
2008-12-04, 11:35 PM
eh. period correct firearms require period correct cocktails. i teach second grade to feel like a "big man" i'm 5'2" btw.

You are quite possibly the funniest person on these forums.

For the record, sir, I am allergic to nuts too, and I have drunk Frangelica without reaction.

Hmmmm... This is interesting information... Thank you, I will take this into account.

The reason that drinking ages in the US are so high is that alcohol has been clinically shown to reduce and damage brain function. By raising the drinking age, the government hoped to make it more difficult for young people to go and stunt the growth of their prefrontal lobes (which aren't finished developing until about age 22, on average). Young people who drink are seriously damaging their brains! Please think before you drink under age.

But really, isn't it that person's brain to decide what they're doing with it? It's the same idea as seatbelt laws. Is it really ok to restrict a consenting adult's (who can vote, volunteer die in war, decide to be an organ donor, and smoke) right to imbibe, regardless of what they do to their brain? Is this real-world politics? If it is, I will freely edit my post if somebody tells me. I think we've had this discussion freely before, tho. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Kjata
2008-12-05, 12:19 AM
Heh, for a while I was worried cause I'd just gotten a new laptop, but then noticed the only ridiculous lag was here...

As I opened the thread I was sipping on some wine - the label's Scarlatta, it's cheap but tasty. I got a bottle for a party I'm throwing Friday - a toga party. I'm not in a frat and my friends are all nerdgeeks, but some friends and I were joking about it, and I thought, hey, why not. Mainly the impetus was that I recently acquired a taste for drinking games, and after some friends invited me to their place to play, I decided I could return the favor - and add in togas!

But yeah, for booze? Corona, wine (and champagne), and Bailey's are my favorites, but I'm pretty open.

Holy crap same here lol. But it wasn't just here, it was a WH40K site I also visit.

Honestly, I doubt i drink enough for it to seriously matter. I'll be fine, trust me.

charl
2008-12-05, 05:30 AM
But really, isn't it that person's brain to decide what they're doing with it? It's the same idea as seatbelt laws. Is it really ok to restrict a consenting adult's (who can vote, volunteer die in war, decide to be an organ donor, and smoke) right to imbibe, regardless of what they do to their brain? Is this real-world politics? If it is, I will freely edit my post if somebody tells me. I think we've had this discussion freely before, tho. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Wearing seatbelts is mandatory here. But there is no drinking age. It's illegal to sell alcohol to people under 18, and the government has a monopoly on liquor stores and the minimum age in those is 20, but parents are allowed to serve their children alcohol if they want and it isn't technically illegal for teenagers to sit outside drinking bear, even if the police sometimes does something about it if they notice it.

But to answer your question, yes that is real-world politics.

And in any case, I wouldn't mind being a bit more brain dead. Especially if I had to be sober all the time, which is what my government wants. Then I wouldn't mind being a whole lot less intelligent, so I could be ignorant and arrogant and live a good life instead of being smart enough to realize how much is seriously wrong with everything.

snoopy13a
2008-12-05, 08:34 AM

I don't believe that the state governments knew that brains weren't fully developed until age 22 when they increased the drinking age in the early 80s.

As an interesting side note, the US doesn't have a federal drinking age as that would constitutionly infringe on the rights of the states. Each state sets its own. Theorectically, a state could have a drinking age of 18*. However, the federal government only gives out highway maintenance money to states with a drinking age of 21. So, any state that doesn't have a 21 drinking age is going to lose out on federal funding. Essentially, the federal government is exorting the states to implement a de facto national drinking age so they can get around constitutional limitations on power.

Overall, it is crazy to think about how many adults from the ages of 18-20 commit crimes on a regular basis, some of them felonies, simply to drink something that 21+ year old adults take for granted.

*Similar to that of Canada where the province of Ontario has a drinking age of 19 and Quebec has a drinking age of 18.

Last_resort_33
2008-12-05, 09:15 AM
Got a gallon of mead maturing in the cellar, another gallon on the go and 3lb of honey which is going to begin it's yeasly process when I get home tonight!!!

Beer and Mead and Bear and Mead.... Morgan's spiced rum is very nice too...

Mostly if you can't put it in a bucket and watch it go mouldy before you drink it, then it's not worth drinking.

If it is distilled afterwords then it is also acceptable.

I also like a good Gin and Tonic, but don't yell at me for being a girl or I will kill you

Roland St. Jude
2008-12-05, 09:42 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: While discussions of alcohol are themselves fine under the Forum Rules, discussions of criminal activity (such as bootlegging, underage drinking, vandalism and other crimes committed while drinking), politics related to drinking, and other inappropriate topics are not okay. Please try to keep it mature, responsible, civil, and within the Forum Rules.

late for dinner
2008-12-05, 10:40 AM

Cheers~

Try a Long Island Iced Tea...it tastes like juice...and if you dont drink often, you only need 1:smallbiggrin:

Vagnarok
2008-12-05, 11:00 AM

Well I won't stop you, that's for sure. But I tend to view drinking as a waste of my time. I could be writing, or practicing a skill, even playing videogames has more worth than getting tanked imo. I don't stop my friends from drinking, and I drink myself (I even tried a Long Island last night, it was pretty good, albeit a bit expensive), but I do have difficulty respecting people who sit around all the time doing nothing. Unfortunately for drug users, that tends to include them.

And in any case, I wouldn't mind being a bit more brain dead. Especially if I had to be sober all the time, which is what my government wants. Then I wouldn't mind being a whole lot less intelligent, so I could be ignorant and arrogant and live a good life instead of being smart enough to realize how much is seriously wrong with everything.

Once again I respect your right to free thought, but I certainly don't relish your conclusion. If everyone was smart enough to see all the bad stuff I don't think that we'd have as many problems. Ignorance is what votes bad presidents into office, ignorance is what perpetuates poor business practices and corporate bailouts, and ignorance is what stratifies our class system by perpetually lowering taxes in a consumer based economy.

I think that the best solution for this would be better education systems for children so that they can safely make their own decisions, find the best solutions through vigorous debate and scrutiny, and basically run the world better than we have.
However, you're free to disagree and remain as unintelligent as you want, as much as that might pain me.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-05, 11:16 AM
it isn't technically illegal for teenagers to sit outside drinking bear,
I don´t think it´s illegal anywhere to drink bear......how would you drink a bear anyway?

:smalltongue:

Charity
2008-12-05, 11:19 AM
you just need a really big blender... aledgedly

charl
2008-12-05, 12:14 PM
Well, I was (and still am) drunk when I wrote that. There, perfect excuse for grammatical errors and spelling faults. Yes, booze. The perfect excuse for everything!

Telonius
2008-12-05, 12:57 PM
Happy Repeal Day, everybody! Raise a glass (if you're of legal age) to the end of Prohibition in the US, 75 years ago today.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/153/857337~The-Simpsons-Homer-To-Alcohol-Posters.jpg

Texas Jedi
2008-12-05, 02:51 PM
Favs

Beers: Newcastle Brown Ale, Shiner Black (Texas Beer), Shiner Bach, Shiner Blonde, Shiner Heffenvizen, Pabst Blue Ribbon, St. Arnold's Summer Brew(Brau?)[Houston based microbrew]

Hard Stuff: Maker's Mark (Tennessee Whiskey). Glenn Levitt Single Malt Scotch, Blancho 100% Blue Agave Tequila (if it ain't 100% blue agave it ain't tequila)

Favorite Drink of Choice: Maker's with Dr Pepper and some cherry juice mixed together on the rocks.

I don't like fruity drinks or mixed drinks very much. The fruity drinks upset my stomach and the mixed drinks I can't taste the alcohol.

I like Jack Daniels, and Crown Royal, and rum. The drink has to be over 40% alcohol by volume if I want to feel a buzz. I have to drink to many drinks to feel the buzz I want. This gets me in trouble. I also only drink at home and never to get drunk.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-05, 03:12 PM
Well, I was (and still am) drunk when I wrote that. There, perfect excuse for grammatical errors and spelling faults. Yes, booze. The perfect excuse for everything!
You've been drunk for more then 6 hours and 44 minutes? And awake the whole time? That's not good for your health......

Innis Cabal
2008-12-05, 03:20 PM
Just make sure that it's red wine. White wine isn't good for your heart at all. I believe it's the tannin that's good for you, but it might be something else.

Actually. Beer is better then red wine. No booze is bad for your heart other then it making you throw up. Its your liver that takes a hit.

Darius Midnite
2008-12-05, 03:44 PM
I myself enjoy drinking Single Malt Whiskey, preferably Scottish and smokey. Though expensive, it is worth all the money to sit back with a book and sip on a good whiskey. But when hitting the town I mostly drink Gin and Tonic whenever the opportunity shows itself, I love the bittersweet taste it has.
With beer though, you can never go wrong.

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-05, 03:52 PM
I could actually never stomach beer. Maybe I just never had an actual good one, but I just don't enjoy drinking beer.

Whiskey, vodka, rum, some wines, no problem. Beer? Ick.

Mordokai
2008-12-05, 03:59 PM
Gimme beer and I'm happy. As long as it's cold. Hard stuff, like vodka, tequila and similar also work for me.

Can't stand wine and chocolate liquer and similar stuff. Alcohol that's traditionally considered for women. Or maybe just over here. Not that I wouldn't want it because of that. It's just... disgusting.

90% of my alcohol intake consists of beer. So yeah, beer all the way!

Innis Cabal
2008-12-05, 04:01 PM
Cold beer? Bleh.

Telonius
2008-12-05, 04:04 PM
Chocolate liquer is girly? The Dude would disagree. Can't have a White Russian without it.

Cool beer is okay by me. Ice-cold beer is only good for getting drunk - you can't fully enjoy the flavor if your tongue is going numb. (With some beers this is a feature, not a bug).

skywalker
2008-12-05, 04:18 PM
I also like a good Gin and Tonic, but don't yell at me for being a girl or I will kill you

Where I'm from, gin in any form is very much considered a "male" liquor.

I don't believe that the state governments knew that brains weren't fully developed until age 22 when they increased the drinking age in the early 80s.

As an interesting side note, the US doesn't have a federal drinking age as that would constitutionly infringe on the rights of the states. Each state sets its own. Theorectically, a state could have a drinking age of 18*. However, the federal government only gives out highway maintenance money to states with a drinking age of 21. So, any state that doesn't have a 21 drinking age is going to lose out on federal funding. Essentially, the federal government is exorting the states to implement a de facto national drinking age so they can get around constitutional limitations on power.

Overall, it is crazy to think about how many adults from the ages of 18-20 commit crimes on a regular basis, some of them felonies, simply to drink something that 21+ year old adults take for granted.

*Similar to that of Canada where the province of Ontario has a drinking age of 19 and Quebec has a drinking age of 18.

This one makes several good points. :smallsigh:

Happy Repeal Day, everybody! Raise a glass (if you're of legal age) to the end of Prohibition in the US, 75 years ago today.

Is it coincidence that it's on Friday? I think not...

I could actually never stomach beer. Maybe I just never had an actual good one, but I just don't enjoy drinking beer.

Whiskey, vodka, rum, some wines, no problem. Beer? Ick.

My favorite quote from lacrosse: "Anybody can do shots. It takes a real man to down a few beers."

Telonius
2008-12-05, 04:29 PM
I have known a few people who absolutely can't stand beer. Several of them turned out to be gluten intolerant (basically, allergic to wheat).

charl
2008-12-05, 07:37 PM
Stupid bartender refused me another drink. I'm not THAT drunk, though I am pretty drunk.

You've been drunk for more then 6 hours and 44 minutes? And awake the whole time? That's not good for your health......

I did sleep between that.

reorith
2008-12-05, 08:12 PM
2010 on a friday and i'm sober for some reason:smallfrown:
oh well, i'm off to use solvents to remove cosmoline indoors without proper ventilation.

Vagnarok
2008-12-05, 08:19 PM
Actually. Beer is better then red wine. No booze is bad for your heart other then it making you throw up. Its your liver that takes a hit.
Do you know what it is that's good for your heart? Is it that alcohol thins your blood or something? I'm quite curious.

Cold beer? Bleh.
You mean you like warm beer??? I have never, ever heard that one before, but to each his own I suppose.

I have known a few people who absolutely can't stand beer. Several of them turned out to be gluten intolerant (basically, allergic to wheat).
My mother has celiac disease (gluten allergy)! I might have it too, but the blood tests still suck right now, so I might have gotten false negatives.

Innis Cabal
2008-12-05, 09:35 PM
Room temp beer. Its the right way to drink it. Drinking it cold is meant only as a refreshment or to get you drunk. Drinking a beer at or slightly below room temp will allow you to taste the flavors and the textures far better.

As for why beer is better, it has a higher source of certain b vitamins that are several times higher then in wine.

Not that red wine isn't good for your heart, just in general beer(lower alchohol content has been found to be even -better-) is better for you.

Jorkens
2008-12-06, 09:46 AM
You mean you like warm beer??? I have never, ever heard that one before, but to each his own I suppose.

http://www.gruts.com/archive/2001/06/beer/asterix-beer.jpg

But yes, 'warm' generally means "room temp or slightly below", it's just warm relative to "pretty much frozen so you don't have to taste it."

Faceist
2008-12-06, 09:56 AM
There's no better way to unwind than with the aid of a good single malt whiskey. But that's strictly an "at home and by myself" thing, I don't want to taint my favourite booze by going out and drinking it and getting it proverbially attached to the whole drinking culture. When I'm out, I'm happy with vodka, irrespective of quality: I just drink it to get drunk, really. And dark rum sits somewhere between the two. I've never really warmed to beer or lager, with the exception of a lingering Guinness infatuation.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-12-06, 05:04 PM
Dunno... I find most room-temp stuff (especially beer and vodka) quite nasty. The flavour is just way too strong, and it makes you a lot more thirsty.

Innis Cabal
2008-12-06, 05:41 PM
Dunno... I find most room-temp stuff (especially beer and vodka) quite nasty. The flavour is just way too strong, and it makes you a lot more thirsty.

Thats...the point. Your supposed to taste the flavor. Just doing it to get drunk is boring and wasteful. Your just going to waste money to take a trip to the john in the morning.

How fun.....:smallconfused:

RTGoodman
2008-12-06, 10:32 PM
So, I took a trip to the ABC Store earlier to pick up a couple of things, and while I was there I thought I'd try something new; at the suggestion of a family member, I picked up a small bottle of Disaronno, having never tried it. I have to say, it's pretty delicious, and tastes (to me) exactly like Dr. Pepper. I've had some neat, and I'm about to try it with cola; anyone else know other good recipes?

snoopy13a
2008-12-06, 11:45 PM
As for why beer is better, it has a higher source of certain b vitamins that are several times higher then in wine.

Not that red wine isn't good for your heart, just in general beer(lower alchohol content has been found to be even -better-) is better for you.

Of course, red wine also has tannins which have a health benefit of their own. Also, I was under the impression that tannins and B vitamins aside, one glass of wine would have roughly the same benefits as a beer. Wine does contain more than twice the amount of alcohol but a glass of wine is less than half that of a beer. Most materials I've seen approximate a bottle of beer as having the same alcohol content as a glass of wine and a shot of 80 proof liquor. Basically, the generic formula they use is:12 oz of beer (5%) is equal to 5 oz of wine (12%) which is equal to 1.5 oz of hard liquor (40%).

Of course, the alcohol content of various beers vary (in the US from about 3.5% to 5.9% as do wines (10%-14.5%).

Another interesting alcohol fact:

The highest alcohol content that can be fermented naturally is around 14.5-15%. At this level of alcohol, the yeast which does the fermenting dies from toxicity. Distillation is needed to create higher level of alcohol. Fortified wines such as Port (around 20%) or Sherry (around 17%) are made by adding brandy (distilled wine). Gin, Vodka, Whiskey, etc are made through various distillation processes.

Agamid
2008-12-08, 06:29 AM
Vodka. Keep it in the freezer until it goes syrupy and drink it when cooking Italian food.
strawberry daiquiris are good too, especially on stinking hot days and cadbury used to make an amazing creme liquor.

I have several alcoholics in the family though, so i'm not hugely enthusiastic about booze.
And i have super-sensitive teeth that can hurt for a week after coming in contact in alcohol.

Coidzor
2008-12-08, 06:42 AM
I've enjoyed some hard cider before, and a very small quantity of wine before I found it...annoying to the taste.

The weird thing is, I'm not really attracted to actually drinking, but I find a certain interesting mystique in watching mixed drinks being prepared/reading about how to make them. ... It is strangely fascinating. Though I guess it would make sense about it appealing to the little kid in me who always wonders what happens if, say, gummy-bear A unifies with gummy-bear B where A and B are two separate flavors (at least, certain gummies this is possible with...most fruit snacks, actually, you can create new flavors by mashing combinations together and then rolling them.). Still, something about the alcohol makes it feel strange that I'm interested in it unless I consciously challenge the feeling of strangeness.

reorith
2008-12-08, 11:09 AM
yuengling black and tan is delicious. it was better than expected and at room temperature, was a nice compliment to scrambled tofu and avocado.

and now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion

Charity
2008-12-08, 12:01 PM

Over here it's known as mothers ruin, it's not seen exclusively as a feminine drink (if there is such a thing) but LR 33 is a northerner and they measure everything in pints o mild...

snoopy13a
2008-12-08, 01:08 PM
And i have super-sensitive teeth that can hurt for a week after coming in contact in alcohol.

A few types of wine do that to me, though for a day or two not a week.. I think it was an Australian Yellowtail Shiraz. I did a minor freakout the next day as it hurt to brush my teeth. So, I avoid Shiraz from now on.

Hazkali
2008-12-08, 01:36 PM
To everyone who has expressed disgust at warm (room temperature) beer, I ask you this:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p299/hazkali/lagerboy.jpg

:smallbiggrin: And yes, I do like practically anything that rolls out of the Wychwood brewery.

bosssmiley
2008-12-08, 01:46 PM

5,000 years of evidence says otherwise. :smallamused:

And, the definite, crushing counter-argument:

Drinker vs. Teetotaller

http://www.thefreepress.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/churchill-hitler.jpg

(Yes, I Godwinned a booze thread. :smallbiggrin:)

Gin was colloquially known as 'a whore's drink', probably because of the abortificant effect commented on even back in Hogarth's day. Of course, now that it is drunk by no less a lady than Her Majesty gin has shaken off all the old associations with scruffy, low-born bobtails (who now tend to the coloured vodka-alcopop).

Rum, whisky and vodka are traditionally more 'masculine' spirits than gin.

valadil
2008-12-08, 01:53 PM
My guilty liquor pleasure is a cold wine (usually a Reisling) straight out of the bottle in the shower. I'm not sure what possessed me to attempt this in the first place, but I truly enjoy it now.

SDF
2008-12-08, 01:54 PM
I like fun drinks like flaming doctor peppers and Irish car bombs. I am a fan of expensive aged scotch. I also like the occasional mixed drink when eating out. I can't stand beer, though. I've tried the spectrum and can't stomach it.

I don't drink much, which being a relative term would mean significantly less than most college students, but still nowhere near straight edge.

snoopy13a
2008-12-08, 03:33 PM
I like fun drinks like flaming doctor peppers and Irish car bombs. I am a fan of expensive aged scotch. I also like the occasional mixed drink when eating out. I can't stand beer, though. I've tried the spectrum and can't stomach it.

I don't drink much, which being a relative term would mean significantly less than most college students, but still nowhere near straight edge.

I think that the amount of college students who drink quite a bit are a just a visible minority. My guess would be that the majority of college students do not drink, only drink occasionally, or drink in moderation.

skywalker
2008-12-08, 04:54 PM
A few types of wine do that to me, though for a day or two not a week.. I think it was an Australian Yellowtail Shiraz. I did a minor freakout the next day as it hurt to brush my teeth. So, I avoid Shiraz from now on.

Shiraz freakin' sucks. And some bozos think it's cool to mix it up with Cabernet, which ruins a perfectly good Cabernet...

Rum, whisky and vodka are traditionally more 'masculine' spirits than gin.

I liked your Godwinning. Does that mean you Godwon? :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, vodka? Really? We're of the opinion vodka is for girls, real men drink gin martinis, not vodka, etc. My high school English teacher (don't ask) once said "Only a nancy drinks vodka martinis... or martinis at all. Give me gin straight." I have a group of friends who specifically drink Tanqueray to prove how manly they are. The manliest man is the man who's downed the most gin at the end of the night.

Whiskey, I can see. The rum and vodka? Not so much...

My guilty liquor pleasure is a cold wine (usually a Reisling) straight out of the bottle in the shower. I'm not sure what possessed me to attempt this in the first place, but I truly enjoy it now.

That actually sounds quite fun. Kooky, but really fun.

Destro_Yersul
2008-12-08, 05:09 PM
Whiskey, I can see. The rum and vodka? Not so much...

Rum is the favoured drink of pirates everywhere. What's more manly than pirates? :smallwink:

Don Julio Anejo
2008-12-08, 06:30 PM
Manly Russian men disagree very much with Vodka being a feminine drink.

Lemur
2008-12-08, 06:52 PM
I have a question for those more knowledgeable on the subject of spirits. I've heard some people say that mixing gatorade into alcohol makes your system absorb the alcohol faster, thus increasing the speed at which symptoms of drunkenness appear. I'm somewhat skeptical, so is there any truth to this, or is it a myth?

reorith
2008-12-08, 06:56 PM
myth. if you want to get drunk faster, eat less before, and drink more. if you really want to be gone after a shot, fast for a day or two before.
edit: brb, rolling rock

Jorkens
2008-12-08, 06:59 PM
myth. if you want to get drunk faster, eat less before, and drink more. if you really want to be gone after a shot, fast for a day or two before.
edit: brb, rolling rock
Or give blood, thereby saving lives and getting drunk cheap.

Warning: I don't advise actually doing this, I suspect you'll do something very unpleasant to yourself.

Jorkens
2008-12-08, 07:00 PM
Manly Russian men disagree very much with Vodka being a feminine drink.
It's the difference between vodka taken cold and neat and vodka with lemonade, ice, a slice of lemon and a little paper umbrella, I think.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-12-08, 07:58 PM
Aside from some wine and a few sips of beer, I don't really have much experience in the subject (underage), but I really don't understand the fascination with alcohol.

Is it the taste? Its not for me anyway. Whenever I'm offered a smig of wine at a diner party or something, I always turn it down. I just don't find it that great, and would rather just have a soda.

Or is there just 'something' about being drunk?

Either way, it sounds like either incentive comes from past experiences with alcohol (acquired taste?). If I don't really have my first... I guess I will just never have to worry about it huh? Sounds like a good deal to me. Though somehow I have a feeling I will have a hard time avoiding it as the American culture is absolutely obsessed with it.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-12-08, 08:17 PM
Aside from some wine and a few sips of beer, I don't really have much experience in the subject (underage), but I really don't understand the fascination with alcohol.

Is it the taste? Its not for me anyway. Whenever I'm offered a smig of wine at a diner party or something, I always turn it down. I just don't find it that great, and would rather just have a soda.

Either way, it sounds like either incentive comes from past experiences with alcohol (acquired taste?). If I don't really have my first... I guess I will just never have to worry about it huh? Sounds like a good deal to me. Though somehow I have a feeling I will have a hard time avoiding it as the American culture is absolutely obsessed with it.

Obviously it depends on where you're coming from (both from which part of the world you're from and what your experience growing up was), but for example for me, it's a social thing. When my friends get together, we go either for beers or for coffee. It's just kinda what people do. My parents do the same thing when their friends are over.

Alcohol was never a taboo or something just grown ups do - they let me try beer when I was six and booze at 10 or 11. They just assumed I would hate the taste of it, and guess what... Yes, you're going to hate the taste of it when you're 10 and not drink it later in life, at least not for several years. Bonus points if you puke - conditioned taste aversion kicks in. You're not going to go out in grade 10 and force yourself to drink a few shots to see what it's like and then do it later as a way to get back at your parents.

For a lot of people alcohol is also a way to temporarily dull their inhibitions. It's not a bad thing - some very sociable and extroverted people are also quite inhibited. That is, they lack confidence to do a lot of things and a few shots of stuff let them have more fun (at things like parties), because they're not thinking "oh my god I really want to sing karaoke but what if I suck and everyone hates me after that?"

There's also obviously the drunk frat boys who just want to get hammered, but in my experience (haven't seen actual research on this topic), it's usually the people for whom alcohol was a taboo during their teenage years. They're the ones most likely to go out and get wasted just because they can. But usually they grow out of it after a few years.

Above only refers to more or less healthy ways to drink. I'm not talking about alcoholics who have a chemical/psychological dependency on it or who drink to escape depression.

snoopy13a
2008-12-08, 08:45 PM
Anyway, vodka? Really? We're of the opinion vodka is for girls, real men drink gin martinis, not vodka, etc. My high school English teacher (don't ask) once said "Only a nancy drinks vodka martinis... or martinis at all. Give me gin straight." I have a group of friends who specifically drink Tanqueray to prove how manly they are. The manliest man is the man who's downed the most gin at the end of the night.

You know, an extra dry martini is just gin and an olive or two...

There really isn't that much vermouth anyway in a regular martini. Plus, vermouth isn't exactly sweet. I've never had a vodka martini myself. I heard that Smirnoff basically invented them by paying the producers of the early James Bond movies to have Bond drink vodka martinis instead of the traditional gin ones. Obviously, it worked out fairly well as many people think that a martini is a vodka drink, not a gin drink.

Tanqueray is a little expensive for quantity drinking. If I was going for quantity, I'd go with something in a plastic bottle :smalltongue:

Myatar_Panwar
2008-12-08, 08:57 PM
Obviously it depends on where you're coming from (both from which part of the world you're from and what your experience growing up was), but for example for me, it's a social thing. When my friends get together, we go either for beers or for coffee. It's just kinda what people do. My parents do the same thing when their friends are over.

Fair enough. But wouldn't you agree that it is quite silly to drink something which costs more than most (any) other drinks/screws with how you think, just because it is a culturally accepted thing to do (reminds me of how nearly everyone will buy an iPod regardless of cost/quality/use because its what people do.)?

I mean, I understand that when you are out with friends, then ordering a drink is probably going to happen because everyone else is doing it, and its fun to join in. You didn't go out to not have fun with your buddies. All I'm saying is, hypothetically, if there was none of these 'social rules' regarding alcohol, and the waiter asked you for your drink, would you still go for a beer?

For a lot of people alcohol is also a way to temporarily dull their inhibitions. It's not a bad thing - some very sociable and extroverted people are also quite inhibited. That is, they lack confidence to do a lot of things and a few shots of stuff let them have more fun (at things like parties), where they're not thinking "oh my god I really want to do sing karaoke but what if I suck and everyone hates me after that?"

Good point. I've never been like that (but I will never sing karaoke), but I guess I can understand people wanting to overcome that fear.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-12-08, 09:15 PM
Fair enough. But wouldn't you agree that it is quite silly to drink something which costs more than most (any) other drinks/screws with how you think, just because it is a culturally accepted thing to do?

I mean, I understand that when you are out with friends, then ordering a drink is probably going to happen because everyone else is doing it, and its fun to join in. You didn't go out to not have fun with your buddies. All I'm saying is, hypothetically, if there was none of these 'social rules' regarding alcohol, and the waiter asked you for your drink, would you still go for a beer?
Depends where and what I'm doing. I mean, if I'm at a bar or a nightclub, ordering a soda is just plain stupid, especially since it's probably going to cost me more than a beer. At a restaurant when I'm out for lunch, yeah, I'd rather have an iced tea. But cost isn't really a factor - when you're out, alcohol doesn't cost much more than pop.

As for messing with your thinking.. it doesn't. In effect, it simply removes your inhibitions and makes you nice and happy.

Also, a lot of people really do like the taste of it. See: Frangelico, Bailey's. There's also a big difference between drinking Jack Daniel's and nice 12 year old Scotch like Glenlivet or Glenfidditch.

(reminds me of how nearly everyone will buy an iPod regardless of cost/quality/use because its what people do.)
I lol'd at this. Why? Because iPod really is higher quality than all the other players on the market. I have one and the thing is a freaking tank... I've dropped it, stepped on it, let it fall into water once and it's still in perfect working order (save a few scratches) after more than 2 years. All my other mp3 players fell apart after 8 or so months with much better care.

Oh, and it looks really nice and the battery lasts 20+ hours on a single charge. Less now after 3-4 hours of use every single day, but it's still got more juice than pretty much anything else on the market.

Jorkens
2008-12-08, 09:29 PM
A lot of the time, yes, because you develop a taste for it. Maybe if some more non-alcoholic drinks had been the absolute staple drink of western society for several thousand years then we'd have figured out how to make them as deep and rich and complex in flavour as a good single malt whisky or a nice red wine or a good real ale but in my experience we haven't. Or perhaps the alcohol is actually a part of it, and means that you can stick in more intense flavours without the taste overbalancing - you get this a bit with salty or spicy food as well, in my experience.

Also a lot of alcoholic drinks - a gin and tonic or a cold lager, for instance - seem to be at the top end of the 'refreshing' league as well.

And yeah, like Don Julio said I think a lot of people, myself included, just find that we have a better time socialising if we've had a pint or two. It's not turning into a raging nutter and doing stupid stuff, in small quantities it just makes you a bit more relaxed and a bit less selfconscious and generally oils the wheels of conversation. I guess if we were all spectacularly well adjusted people this might not be neccessary, but unfortunately not many people are.

Btw, this discussion seems quite ironic given your location...

Myatar_Panwar
2008-12-08, 09:46 PM
As for messing with your thinking.. it doesn't. In effect, it simply removes your inhibitions and makes you nice and happy.

Ok, well it at least affects emotions. Which in my opinion isn't all that great either. And must it effect your thought patterns if it is removing all inhibitions, yes? I recall someone in this thread mentioning they pee'd on a gravestone or something while drunk, something you probably would think differently about if you were sober. But with alcohol, it removes that thought process that would normally occur telling you 'hey, this is probably a bad idea'. Unless of course said person would not normally think that. :smalleek:

I lol'd at this. Why? Because iPod really is higher quality than all the other players on the market. I have one and the thing is a freaking tank... I've dropped it, stepped on it, let it fall into water once and it's still in perfect working order (save a few scratches) after more than 2 years. All my other mp3 players fell apart after 8 or so months with much better care.

Oh, and it looks really nice and the battery lasts 20+ hours on a single charge. Less now after 3-4 hours of use every single day, but it's still got more juice than pretty much anything else on the market.

I wish I had your iPod. Mine has broken 2 times now. :smallfrown: Each time it took nearly a month to get it fixed (the second time they just sent a refurbished model). And each time I didn't even do anything... at least nothing I'm not aware of. It just would stop working.

But in truth, I probably shouldn't have included 'quality' in there, because they really are nice. I'm mostly just peeved at their iTunes program, which you have to go through. And my main point was that people will buy iPods without (generally) even looking at alternatives (hell I did). Example: A friend of mine bought a 30G iPod, and hasn't even filled half a gig yet. He just bought one so he could hold some dragonforce, while he should have boughten some cheap 2G one instead. But this is another discussion.

Edit: @ Jorkins

Yes, this is very ironic. Ironic indeed.

dish
2008-12-08, 10:13 PM
There's a cultural and geographic factor as well.

I'm British, but I live in Shanghai. I went out for a celebratory evening with 25 Chinese friends once. The youngest was in his late 20s and the oldest was early 40s. We had great fun with lots of chatting and paying silly games and not one single alcoholic drink was consumed by anyone. Had that evening happened in the UK with British people there is no question that alcohol would have been drunk.

Faceist
2008-12-08, 11:05 PM
It removes inhibitions, yeah, but it doesn't always make you happy. For every person I've seen dancing with a big goofy grin on their face and shaking hands with the bouncer at the end of the night, I've seen another person fly off the handle at some tiny/outright imagined slight and start a fight. I went out on saturday and someone was actually arrested for biting a chunk out of someones arm in a bar room brawl.

(Note that I'm not saying "alcohol is uniformly bad", it just affects some people differently than others: these people are undoubtably easily affected by other external stimuli. The kind of people who commit crimes because of video games or peer pressure.)

toasty
2008-12-08, 11:22 PM
There's a cultural and geographic factor as well.

I'm British, but I live in Shanghai. I went out for a celebratory evening with 25 Chinese friends once. The youngest was in his late 20s and the oldest was early 40s. We had great fun with lots of chatting and paying silly games and not one single alcoholic drink was consumed by anyone. Had that evening happened in the UK with British people there is no question that alcohol would have been drunk.

This too is true. In the nation I live in (bangladesh) its actually illegal for the locals to purchase Alcohol, so not to many people actually do it. (though I've been told its easy to get bootleg stuff). Also, I have a lot of friends from different cultures. The Pacific Islanders think Drinking = alcholism, the germans don't understand how anyone could live without consuming a few beers!

Its all in the culture. Personally as an American... I await the time when I can consume the occasional drink. :)

RTGoodman
2008-12-08, 11:30 PM
It removes inhibitions, yeah, but it doesn't always make you happy. For every person I've seen dancing with a big goofy grin on their face and shaking hands with the bouncer at the end of the night, I've seen another person fly off the handle at some tiny/outright imagined slight and start a fight. I went out on saturday and someone was actually arrested for biting a chunk out of someones arm in a bar room brawl.

(Note that I'm not saying "alcohol is uniformly bad", it just affects some people differently than others: these people are undoubtably easily affected by other external stimuli. The kind of people who commit crimes because of video games or peer pressure.)

And just as easy as if can make someone angry or stupid, it can make someone else sleepy, quiet, or otherwise docile. My cousin and my best friend are like that - when they've had a bit to drink, they just get relaxed and quiet.

For most people that drink socially or otherwise not to get totally hammered, they're not drinking to completely get rid of inhibitions. It's not so much about drinking itself as if is about having fun, which the alcohol can help facilitate for quiet or otherwise not-as-social folks.

That's not for everyone, though - I do drink when I'm out with friends, but it's also just because I like the taste (usually). Give me a good beer, some nice whiskey, or something like that and I'm happy.

Gaelbert
2008-12-08, 11:59 PM
You can drunk without getting drink, you know. :P

Epic lulz deserve to be appreciate. I salute you!

Several of them turned out to be gluten intolerant (basically, allergic to wheat).

It's worse than an allergy. Gluten is actually toxic to the villa of the small intestines, and if a person with celiac ingests something with gluten, it produces a variety of effects. For me, it's mainly stomah problems. I was diagnosed after about 6 years without knowing about the disease, so that was enough time to stunt my growth and make me depressed.:smallmad: Dang doctors did it again. In some people, it presents itself in the form of adhd or some neurological problems.

People with celiac will generally have some sort of response to beer, but it really depends on the severity of the case. Everyone is different. I know I've had an entire muffin (unknowingly) and suffered no effects, but the day after eating some fries that had been fried in the same oil as onion rings, I had terrible stomach aches.

Apparently the distillation process removes the toxicity of gluten, so celiac people can drink distilled alcohols. And some weird fruity wine chillers or something.
Except seeing as I have diabetes as well (and am underaged for that matter), it would be a very bad idea for me to drink anything more than a very little bit.

I've used some sort of liquor in a strawberry soup I made, but that's the extent of my alcoholic consumption.

As for Red Bull, that stuff is insane. I drank half of one of those tiny cans, and while I am usually a very reserved person, I was doing cartwheels during some all night relay thing I went to. I must be really sensitive to it.

Kneenibble
2008-12-09, 01:35 AM
The blessed frenzy of wine is a sacrament. My being needs an Anthesterian debaucle every once in a while to stay whole, where I, camping pantomime Maenad, and my bacchantes transcend the mundane in dance and revelry. Let merry be made! -- and may only those of less than Two Spirits hear that Bacchus drowns more men than Neptune!

skywalker
2008-12-09, 01:44 AM
Rum is the favoured drink of pirates everywhere. What's more manly than pirates? :smallwink:

Cowboys.

It's the difference between vodka taken cold and neat and vodka with lemonade, ice, a slice of lemon and a little paper umbrella, I think.

Or the difference between potato vodka and grape vodka. Most commercially available vodkas these days are made from grapes.

I personally enjoy a little loss of control. Like roller coasters, some minor wheelspin/fishtailing in my car, etc. It makes me feel alive.

There's also obviously the drunk frat boys who just want to get hammered, but in my experience (haven't seen actual research on this topic), it's usually the people for whom alcohol was a taboo during their teenage years. They're the ones most likely to go out and get wasted just because they can. But usually they grow out of it after a few years.

Most of the frat boys I know (granted, I know a limited picture because I live in the south), don't drink just to get hammered. They do get hammered, but there's a greater social factor at work. Hammered is not the objective, drinking is not the objective (in most cases), there is simply something driving the drinking. Drunk driving really slowly down backroads was the Friday night activity for some of my peers in high school. And for some people, there is something about opening one up and feeling a little less tense on a Friday afternoon.

You know, an extra dry martini is just gin and an olive or two...

There really isn't that much vermouth anyway in a regular martini. Plus, vermouth isn't exactly sweet. I've never had a vodka martini myself. I heard that Smirnoff basically invented them by paying the producers of the early James Bond movies to have Bond drink vodka martinis instead of the traditional gin ones. Obviously, it worked out fairly well as many people think that a martini is a vodka drink, not a gin drink.

Tanqueray is a little expensive for quantity drinking. If I was going for quantity, I'd go with something in a plastic bottle :smalltongue:

I substituted "nancy" for a far more offensive word... I think he took issue with some perceived femininity in the olive+tooth pick combo, or possibly the weird glasses.

The original James Bond martini(the Vesper, quoted in the recent film) from Casino Royale was made from Gordon's (whose proof has since been reduced), vodka, and Kina Lillet (also no longer available as it was then.).

I never said I took part in the Tanqueray drinking. They're college students on scholarship who have jobs, tho. They've got plenty of money. And they save on the whole budget by buying horrid beer. Don't get me started on what they do for a party finale.

Depends where and what I'm doing. I mean, if I'm at a bar or a nightclub, ordering a soda is just plain stupid, especially since it's probably going to cost me more than a beer. At a restaurant when I'm out for lunch, yeah, I'd rather have an iced tea. But cost isn't really a factor - when you're out, alcohol doesn't cost much more than pop.

My teetotaler cousin used to play in bands. He was shocked to learn that while the band was provided free beer by the case, he would have to pay for sprite/mello yello.

As for inhibitions... The only thing alcohol has ever done for me is make me very, very loving. I'm of the opinion that whoever you really are, drink brings it out. In vino veritas, you know?

Destro_Yersul
2008-12-09, 02:08 AM
Cowboys.

Got me there. But Pirates are still extremely manly.

On the subject of the effects of alcohol, it happens to make me extremely silly. When I am drunk, everything is funny.

three08
2008-12-09, 10:07 AM
I think that the amount of college students who drink quite a bit are a just a visible minority. My guess would be that the majority of college students do not drink, only drink occasionally, or drink in moderation.

it's worth mentioning that this is generally supported by available research. people just hear a lot more about the crazy drunken fratboy types because a) it's a cultural archetype, and b) someone behaving like a drunk madman or regaling others with tales of having behaved like a drunken madman is a more salient stimulus than someone not doing those things.

also how is tanqueray? i've always gone with bombay sapphire, which is quite good. my mum favors tanqueray, though.

Telonius
2008-12-09, 12:43 PM
To everyone who has expressed disgust at warm (room temperature) beer, I ask you this:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p299/hazkali/lagerboy.jpg

:smallbiggrin: And yes, I do like practically anything that rolls out of the Wychwood brewery.

QFT! If it tastes awful at room temp, it's not good beer. And Wychwood is made of win.

Hazkali
2008-12-10, 09:37 AM
QFT! If it tastes awful at room temp, it's not good beer. And Wychwood is made of win.

It's really disappointing that so many bars and pubs are giving way to the same tasteless selection of big name beers and largers. It almost makes me want to join CAMRA.

snoopy13a
2008-12-10, 12:38 PM
also how is tanqueray? i've always gone with bombay sapphire, which is quite good. my mum favors tanqueray, though.

I either go with Beefeater or whatever the bar has. I suppose I'll have to try Tanqueray sometime.

Absoulte worst martini I had was at a casino bar. They poured the martini out of a bar hookup thing (similar to how they pour soda at bars). I believe they must have dumped a ton of gin and a little bit of vermouth into a giant cooler or something and then hooked up a hose to it. They had the nerve to charge something like $9 for it.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-10, 01:40 PM
It's really disappointing that so many bars and pubs are giving way to the same tasteless selection of big name beers and largers. It almost makes me want to join CAMRA.
Why do you think we export so much of our beer?

skywalker
2008-12-10, 01:49 PM
I either go with Beefeater or whatever the bar has. I suppose I'll have to try Tanqueray sometime.

Absoulte worst martini I had was at a casino bar. They poured the martini out of a bar hookup thing (similar to how they pour soda at bars). I believe they must have dumped a ton of gin and a little bit of vermouth into a giant cooler or something and then hooked up a hose to it. They had the nerve to charge something like $9 for it.

That sounds rather completely unpleasant.

$9 is too much to pay for pretty much any beverage of any type, IMO.

charl
2008-12-10, 04:48 PM
I drank a pale ale called Circlemaster from Wychwood tonight. It was delicious. Kinda fruity flavour, but still an overtone of hops and dark roasted barley. Really nice.

Calanais
2008-12-13, 07:57 PM
Gluten is a catchall term for the glutenin and gliadin proteins in cereals like barley, wheat, rye and oats. While the brewing process removes or breaks down most of the proteins, enough remains in the finished beer to be a hazard to people with coeliac disease. However, the distillation process will remove any protein fragments, so even spirits made from wheat or barley will be safe for coeliacs (or as safe as they would be for non-coeliacs).
By the way, whiskey refers to US and Irish whiskeys: the scottish and canadian varieties are Whisky.

charl
2008-12-13, 08:06 PM
Gluten is a catchall term for the glutenin and gliadin proteins in cereals like barley, wheat, rye and oats. While the brewing process removes or breaks down most of the proteins, enough remains in the finished beer to be a hazard to people with coeliac disease. However, the distillation process will remove any protein fragments, so even spirits made from wheat or barley will be safe for coeliacs (or as safe as they would be for non-coeliacs).
By the way, whiskey refers to US and Irish whiskeys: the scottish and canadian varieties are Whisky.

A good way to remember it: whiskey has an e in it, whisky hasn't. Ireland and America also has e's, and Canada and Scottland doesn't.

There's also Japanese, Welsh, and Indian whisky around, and I know there's also Swedish whisky but I don't that's sold outside of Sweden. Presumably it's made pretty much everywhere.

Z-dan
2008-12-14, 08:56 AM
I notice some Wychwood fans here... :biggrin:
I'm not a big drinker, but I know what I like- and all ale pales in comparison to Wychwood ale. Went on the Wychwood brewery tour for my birthday earlier this year, and got a load of Fiddler's Elbow (in my opinion the best, a wheat ale) as well as a couple of t-shirts... like a nice glow-in-the-dark one saying 'afraid of the dark, lagerboy?'
So yeah, my advice is look out for anything with the Wychwood label, which now includes some Marston's beers too.

Also, a random fact I learnt from the brewery tour: the Circlemaster beer is actually very similar to the organic beer that Prince Charles commissions Wychwood to make for him, from his private crops.

Ninja Chocobo
2008-12-14, 10:17 AM
I have gleaned some information from my friends regarding 'girly drinks'.
Apparently, anything sweeter than beer* is a girly drink.
Now, I've got nothing against beer. But the fact is I've tasted dirt sweeter than beer.
*Regular beer, that is. Stuff like Cascade or your local equivalent.

charl
2008-12-14, 10:30 AM
I have gleaned some information from my friends regarding 'girly drinks'.
Apparently, anything sweeter than beer* is a girly drink.
Now, I've got nothing against beer. But the fact is I've tasted dirt sweeter than beer.
*Regular beer, that is. Stuff like Cascade or your local equivalent.

Beer varies in taste quite a lot really. There's really dark and bitter ales and really light American lagers that taste like mineral water, and everything in between. Try some weissbier (wheat beer) or perhaps the Circle Master I mentioned before. Weissbiers usually taste fruity and the Circle Master is pretty sweetish (well, for being a Whychwood beer anyway).

If you do like sweet stuff, I would suggest some British cider. Anyone who claims British cider is a girly drink is an idiot.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-14, 10:36 AM
I'm very annoyed at booze discussion and such, in my home.
Everybody in my family(parents and brother) drinks and talk about it, which as I'm underage can annoy me quite a bit.