PDA

View Full Version : Belkar's End is Near!

Linkavitch
2008-12-02, 05:53 PM
. . .maybe. (and I can't believe I'm actually writing one of these threads) But Belkar is in dire straights right now. He's going to go help Haley, but probably thinks that Haley is actually capable of fighting. He's going against two high-ish leve rogues, and might easily be flanked. Also, we don't know where Celia is at this point. I don't want Belkar to die, but it seems like it's pretty near to me. The only way out of this I see is if either V or Celia come and save him.

CrimsonAngel
2008-12-02, 06:03 PM
BELKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............. :smallfrown:

Lord K
2008-12-02, 06:10 PM
Belkar wont die, he has a compulsion to kill most things and has been denied that for a while (a la curse) and is probably itching to cut (or stab) some rogues who are trying to kill him at the same time. have pity on those who will fall before Belkar's wrath

Kish
2008-12-02, 06:24 PM
I'd have to say "Belkar is about to die!" is less irritating than, "Those were the four words!"

...Still, prophecies and forums don't mix well. :smalltongue:

Zevox
2008-12-02, 06:26 PM
I'd have to say "Belkar is about to die!" is less irritating than, "Those were the four words!"

No kidding. And at least this one will be over with soon - in the next five strips or so we ought to know what happens during the confrontation with Bozzok and Crystal. Too bad we can't say the same for V's "four words" prophecy...

Zevox

[TS] Shadow
2008-12-02, 06:54 PM
Yeah...V's four words are going to be going on for a loooong time. I personnally thought that he'd say them in strip 600, but we all know how THAT turned out.

Anyway, it isn't likely that Belkar will die soon. He'll definatley live past this battle, I know that.

Warlord JK
2008-12-02, 07:17 PM

So correct. But those prophecies threads help me get my post count up as I can keep reiterating points I've made previously without much brain power :smallbiggrin:.

David Argall
2008-12-02, 11:02 PM
As has been noted before, Belkar is not likely to die within the next 10-30 strips.
The Oracle telling us the prediction was strip time, not calendar time, means Belkar is almost certain to survive until January our time, which is about strip 620.
The false character development also needs time to play out. He won't die until the others "realize" how much he has changed. As we know from past experience, that could take hundreds of strips. However, we also have a deadline and so Belkar will bite it within a hundred strips, and likely within 50.

Assassin89
2008-12-02, 11:05 PM
Belkar will die on December 31, or its equivalent, in comic time, but it could be due to alcohol poisoning, a repeat of what happened in Azure city.

Mariel Dragon
2008-12-03, 05:47 AM
Why should Belkar's end be near? He will die and stay dead. While there might be reason for him to die now, there are no reasons for him to die and stay dead. Haley does not remember what he did to the Oracle, and he had character growth and tries to help Haley and Celia. There is no reason why Durkon should not revive Belkar if he revives Roy.

hungryLIKEALION
2008-12-03, 01:22 PM
I don't see it happening anytime really soon. He'll win this fight simply due to rule of awesome/funny/good storytelling.

T-O-E
2008-12-03, 02:41 PM
Well, of course. According to prophecy.

Ego
2008-12-03, 03:50 PM
Belkar is one of the pillars of this comic. With his poppularity among the fans and the opportunities opened up by his recent character growth, Giant would be crazy to kill him before the end of the story.

I strongly bilive either Belkar's death isn't so near, isn't going to happen at all (nice opportunity for the determinism VS free will sidestory), or the commin is nearing it's end very quickly.

Optimystik
2008-12-03, 04:51 PM
To quote The Mummy: "Death... is only the beginning."

Alaska Fan
2008-12-03, 04:52 PM
The Oracle's prophecies are dubious, at best. I'd take long odds on Belkar being around for a long time, even without taking into account the flexible notion of comic strip time.

Now the Oracle's ability to get revenge is another matter.

Yoyoyo
2008-12-03, 05:11 PM
All we know for sure, Oracle wise, is that Belkar will die within a year in-comic time. Possible that the story will be wrapped up within that time.

Also, in regard to the OP, Durkon and Elan could show up to. Not exactly sure how, mind you, but if they got the message from the CoL, then it is possible they could save the day.

Stormwolf
2008-12-03, 05:17 PM
I swear the next person to post an "OMG Belkar is about to die!" thread isn't going to live long enough to find out if they were right or not :smallbiggrin:

Kish
2008-12-03, 06:06 PM
The Oracle's prophecies are dubious, at best. I'm afraid claims like this strike me as pure wishful thinking. The Oracle manifestly can predict the future and there's no indication that his prophecies are anything but completely binding.

King of Nowhere
2008-12-04, 08:20 AM
I wrote some time ago that Belkar deserved death as a punisment for his evil deeds, but he deserves a kickass death as a reward for his coolness.
I believe we are in the kickass part.
I also believe he will still be in the story even dead. It's almost sure (from commentaries on ncftpb) that we will follow him in the afterlife for a while, like Roy, and maybe his soul will do something that affect the story, for example a crazy idea that came to me just now
Belkar, by slaughtering hordes of souls and demons, become a pit lord or such. At a certain point, an evil character cast a demonic evocation and Belkar comes and kills him, thus changing the battle

Greep
2008-12-04, 09:47 AM
I'm afraid claims like this strike me as pure wishful thinking. The Oracle manifestly can predict the future and there's no indication that his prophecies are anything but completely binding.

Yeah the oracle so far is always honest and correct in prophecies. It's incredibly likely he lied to belkar about the miko's death etc, but this

a) Was not a prophecy but an explanation (he was not green glowy and under the influence of tiamat

b)was not needed to fulfill the "yes" prophecy. For "yes" to be correct, only a single murder needed to occur.

Linkavitch
2008-12-04, 03:16 PM
I swear the next person to post an "OMG Belkar is about to die!" thread isn't going to live long enough to find out if they were right or not :smallbiggrin:

Personally, I didn't even want to post this thread, but nobody else was coming up with a theory close to mine, so. . .

Morgan Wick
2008-12-07, 01:47 AM
As has been noted before, Belkar is not likely to die within the next 10-30 strips.
The Oracle telling us the prediction was strip time, not calendar time, means Belkar is almost certain to survive until January our time, which is about strip 620.
The false character development also needs time to play out. He won't die until the others "realize" how much he has changed. As we know from past experience, that could take hundreds of strips. However, we also have a deadline and so Belkar will bite it within a hundred strips, and likely within 50.

First, now that 613 has come out...

Second, are you so sure we'll reach 620 by January at this pace? :D

Hey, maybe that's why the updates have slowed so much, because Rich is going to kill Belkar in a smattering of strips and wants to make sure the critical strip is published in 2009... :smalleek::smallbiggrin: Wait, did I just condemn this thread to be locked? :smallfrown:

Greep
2008-12-07, 02:09 AM
First, now that 613 has come out...

Second, are you so sure we'll reach 620 by January at this pace? :D

Hey, maybe that's why the updates have slowed so much, because Rich is going to kill Belkar in a smattering of strips and wants to make sure the critical strip is published in 2009... :smalleek::smallbiggrin: Wait, did I just condemn this thread to be locked? :smallfrown:

that's actually a good point. I think it's mainly because he's drawing incredibly word intense updates that are really well thought out, some of which were double page updates, though. ;)

Ridureyu
2008-12-07, 02:13 AM
Where do you get the 50-100 strips figure?