PDA

View Full Version : Air Druid Spell List

UserClone
2008-12-02, 06:40 PM
So I am 5th level and can cast Air descriptor spells spontaneously. What should I choose to prepare, assuming I want one air spell prepared of each level, so that I can use my reserve feat? Any books are allowed, but cheese is frowned upon. Also, no wildshape is involved.

Enlong
2008-12-02, 07:11 PM
Wait, if you can cast Air spells spontaneously, do you even need to prepare them?

But I digress: from the Core spells, at 5th level, I'm seeing Gust of Wind and Wind Wall as the Air Descriptor spells for a Druid. And from Sandstorm, there's Haboob and Storm Mote.

UserClone
2008-12-02, 07:21 PM
For purposes of the reserve feat. And I am also looking for general spell list goodness also.

Saph
2008-12-02, 07:25 PM
The only one that comes to mind is Heart of Air from Complete Mage. Very good at what it does, but only useful in very specific combos or if you really need Feather Fall.

- Saph

Enlong
2008-12-02, 07:27 PM
The only one that comes to mind is Heart of Air from Complete Mage. Very good at what it does, but only useful in very specific combos or if you really need Feather Fall.

- Saph

But if you combine it with Heart of Earth, Heart of Fire, and Heart of Water, you become Captain Planet!

UserClone
2008-12-02, 07:28 PM
Heart of heart? :smallwink:

And I can use Feather fall as a spell-like 2/Day.

RTGoodman
2008-12-02, 07:31 PM
Can you cast ALL [Air] spells spontaneously, or just all of the ones on the Druid list?

If it's the latter, then there's not much choice in Core - according to the Spell Filter, I only see 6 Druid spells with the [Air] descriptor. Of those, the only ones you can cast are gust of wind (Druid 2 - Evocation [Air]) and wind wall (Druid 3 - Evocation [Air]).

Of those, the latter is definitely worth it - it completely shuts down a LOT of stuff to be such a low-level spell. I'd prepare one of those a day, probably, just in case. Gust of wind is, well, not so great (to me, at least), but I guess you could prepare it if you really needed a 3rd-level [Air] spell.

Other books might have other [Air] spells (especially Spell Compendium), but I don't have 'em on hand right now.

Enlong
2008-12-02, 07:34 PM
Heart of heart? :smallwink:

And I can use Feather fall as a spell-like 2/Day.

Naw, they're all Hearts, so it all balances out.

For general spellcasty fun, Sandstorm has some sweet Druid spells, but a number of them are desert-dependant. But there's some really good non desert-centric ones, like Sunstroke, which deals 2d6 nonlethal and Fatigues the target, or Halo of Sand, which gives you a Deflection bonus to your AC that increases with level, or Scimitar of Sand, that gives you a sand sword that deals damage and dehydrates the foe.

None of those are Air-type, but since you wanted some nice spells...

UserClone
2008-12-02, 07:49 PM
Awesome guys! keep those spells a'comin'! Air and otherwise!

edit: level 2 Binding Winds is nice.

Epinephrine
2008-12-02, 08:00 PM
Downdraft - awesome spell. Reflex save, if failed, a flying foe is knocked 100' straight down. Success means only 50' fallen. (Boohoo, ready it for when the foe drops below 50 feet). Has a 20' radius AoE, 100' tall column of air, so you can easily get multiple fliers with it. It's even ok against non-fliers, in a pinch; it's a Reflex save or be knocked prone, for all creatures in the 20' radius.

Enlong
2008-12-02, 08:02 PM
WTPF? What level is Downdraft?

UserClone
2008-12-02, 08:11 PM
2. Scarred lands spell, apparently.

Epinephrine
2008-12-02, 08:12 PM
WTPF? What level is Downdraft?

3rd level Druid Spell, Spell Compendium. Even has Long range. Knock that dragon out of the air at 5th level.

UserClone
2008-12-02, 08:28 PM
HAWT!
Very nice spell.

Burley
2008-12-03, 09:27 AM
If you're looking at Downdraft, check out Updraft, too. Probably my most used spell when I played my Druid//Ninja. Shoots you into the air and feather falls you back down. It's like an auto-win on jumps, and I think it can affect a touched creature... I don't remember. I recall in one fight wanting to get close to a baddy to catapult him into the air, and then downdraft to slam it... But, I didn't get that close.
Quick search tells me that the range is Personal... SOOOOOO...
Anyways, it's a useful Utility.

Also see:
Binding Winds, Spell Compendium Page 27.
Capricious Zephyr, SpC 29.
Storm Mote, Sandstorm 121. (Already mentioned)
Flaywind Burst, Sandstorm 115.

I think the last one is a higher level than you've got... But... Look forward to it?