PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hellbred Substitution Levels [Peach]

Xefas
2008-12-02, 11:02 PM
Hellbred, from the Fiendish Codex II, have always seemed interesting to me. So, I made some substitution levels for the three Tome of Battle base classes.

I'd like to do them for more classes (especially Warlock), but I have a hard time deciding which abilities to take away. Suggestions on that are also welcome.

Hellbred Crusader

Class Skills: A Hellbred Crusader adds the skill “Knowledge (The Planes)” to his list of class skills.

Class Features:

Sublime Exception: A Hellbred Crusader can select and use maneuvers with the [Evil] descriptor even if his alignment is not Evil. The mere act of using such maneuvers is never grounds for the Hellbred breaking a code of conduct or shifting alignment. This is an extension of the Hellbred's "Evil Exception" racial ability.

Maw of Despair (Su): A Hellbred Crusader who takes the 6th level racial substitution level can cause an intangible, gaping mouth to open at his feet and release tormented screams brought directly from the Nine Hells of Perdition. As a standard action, a 25 foot by 25 foot square of ground centered upon the Crusader at the time of use is effected for 1 minute (it does not move with him) by the lingering shrieks. Any enemy that starts its turn in the effected area is stricken with fear, pain, and despair, becoming “shaken” for as long as it remains within the area +1 round per point of the Hellbred’s charisma modifier. This ability replaces the Crusader’s normal “Smite 1/day” ability. Instead, the Crusader gains his first use of Smite at 18th level.

In addition, at 18th level, the Crusader can choose to replace the use of Smite normally gained with an additional use of the Maw of Despair.

Infernal Power: A Hellbred Crusader who takes the 10th level racial substitution level learns to attune himself with more of the fiendish power scarred into him during the horrifying process known as the Scourging. He gains a free Devil-Touched feat. This bonus feat replaces the Diehard feat normally gained at level 10.

Nightmare Cavalry (Su): A Hellbred Crusader who takes the 13th level racial substitution level becomes capable of summoning forth a faithful ally who has experienced the same torment that he has. Instead of gaining the “Mettle” class feature, the Crusader gains a Nightmare with an alignment matching his own. The Nightmare serves happily and demands very little from the Crusader in turn. If the Nightmare is ever reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is banished back to a plane corresponding to its alignment. The Crusader must wait 24 hours before summoning it back.

The “Nightmare” can be reflavored as appropriate. For instance, a Lawful Good Nightmare may be a Paladin’s celestial mount that has gone through a process similar to the Scourging that spawns a Hellbred.

Hellbred Swordsage

Class Skills: A Hellbred Swordsage adds the skill “Knowledge (The Planes)” to his list of class skills.

Class Features:

Sublime Exception: A Hellbred Swordsage can select and use maneuvers with the [Evil] descriptor even if his alignment is not Evil. The mere act of using such maneuvers is never grounds for the Hellbred breaking a code of conduct or shifting alignment. This is an extension of the Hellbred's "Evil Exception" racial ability.

Resilient Scars: A Hellbred Swordsage who takes the 1st, 5th, 10th, or 15th level racial substitution level has become more durable than normal, having faced extraordinary trauma to his form during the Scourging. He replaces the +1 initiative bonus granted by Quick to Act at that level with a +1 bonus on fortitude saves.

Infernal Gales: A Hellbred Swordsage who takes the 4th level racial substitution level burns with the unholy flames of Hell itself. Instead of gaining Insightful Strike, all of their Desert Wind maneuver are augmented with Hellfire. Half of all damage Desert Wind maneuvers deal ignore all fire resistance and immunity (but still take advantage of vulnerability to fire). At 12th level, all damage they deal ignores fire resistance and immunity.

Hellbred Warblade

Class Skills: A Hellbred Warblade adds the skill “Knowledge (The Planes)” to his list of class skills.

Class Features:

Sublime Exception: A Hellbred Warblade can select and use maneuvers with the [Evil] descriptor even if his alignment is not Evil. The mere act of using such maneuvers is never grounds for the Hellbred breaking a code of conduct or shifting alignment. This is an extension of the Hellbred's "Evil Exception" racial ability.

Visage of Evil (Su): A Hellbred Warblade that takes the 1st level substitution level sacrifices mastery of martial power for the ability to call forth dark magics from the Pit.

The number of readied maneuvers the Warblade can have is permanently reduced by 1.

As a swift action, once per encounter, a Warblade can transform into a diabolical form. For the purposes of this ability, the Warblade has a caster level equal to his initiator level and the spell DCs are based off of his Intelligence modifier. He may choose an Investiture to mimic appropriate to his level, or any Investiture of a lower tier.

At 1st level, this can mimic the spell “Investiture of the Spined Devil.”
At 3rd level, this can mimic the spell “Investiture of the Bearded Devil” or “Investiture of the Chain Devil.”
At 5th level, this can mimic the spell “Investiture of the Steel Devil”, “Investiture of the Erinyes”, or “Investiture of the Harvester Devil.”
At 7th level, this can mimic the spell “Investiture of the Orthon”, “Investiture of the Narzugon”, of “Investiture of the Amnizu.”
At 9th level, this can mimic the spell “Investiture of the Malebranche.”
At 11th level, this can mimic the spell “Investiture of the Barbed Devil.”
At 13th leve, this can mimic the spell “Investiture of the Ice Devil.”
At 15th level, this can mimic the spell “Investiture of the Horned Devil.”
At 17th level, this can mimic the spell “Investiture of the Pit Fiend” or “Investiture of the Hellfire Engine.”

RTGoodman
2008-12-03, 02:24 AM
Hey, these are pretty cool - I love the Hellbred race, and racial substitution levels (especially ones for martial adepts) are always good.

One suggestion - don't the alignment-based Crusader maneuvers have some kind of thing where you can't use them if they're your opposed alignment or something like that? I'd give the Hellbred Crusader an ability to function as if he were Lawful and Evil for the purpose of selecting those maneuvers, like they can for items and feats and stuff.

Xefas
2008-12-03, 03:05 AM
I'd give the Hellbred Crusader an ability to function as if he were Lawful and Evil for the purpose of selecting those maneuvers, like they can for items and feats and stuff.

Their racial ability only extends to Evil things, and not Lawful. Still, you make a good point, so I added such an ability to all three classes. While this would normally only come up for the Crusader, there are several more alignment-based disciplines that have been homebrewed on this forum, many of which I make use of in my games (such as The Demented One's Golden Saint (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76150), Dread Crown (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76218), and Kaleidoscopic Dream (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86163) disciplines, as well as Krimm Blackleaf's Quicksilver Aegis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86266)) and could be learned by non-Crusader classes.