PDA

View Full Version : Finals and school-related misery

Mauve Shirt
2008-12-03, 08:04 AM
Forget the irritating Christmas season, the really miserable part of December for (most) students is the end of classes.
Exams for me are next week, and this week all of the term papers are due. Today, actually. A paper for Anthropology and one for German, plus an oral examination. In 1.5 hours they are due. Exams will seem so easy after this.
The worst part is that I feel so rushed by the papers, I don't finish them, and then I find out the deadline is 2 days later. So do I work on the papers to make them super-special excellent? No, I get complacent and think "Hey, I have more time to goof around!" Stupid procrastination habit.
This weekend is "reading week(end)" for the 3 finals I have. Here's hoping I get the grades I need.
My head is going to explode. Anyone else despairing over exams and schoolwork?

arguskos
2008-12-03, 08:07 AM
Despairing is too weak a word. Perhaps it'd be better for me to say that I was "quivering in abject horror and fear, mewling in terror in a darkened corner, hoping to do decent enough and knowing it is impossible."

I'm no great writer, but that should convey my feelings on the subject well enough. :smallwink:

Flame of Anor
2008-12-03, 11:03 AM
I sympathize. I have several finals myself. :smallfrown:

Mauve Shirt
2008-12-03, 01:21 PM
Hm. Oral exam isn't til Friday, turns out. Which is good, 'cause it would have sucked. At least both of my papers are in.
Must work on it NOW, not tomorrow at 9:00 PM.

Ash08
2008-12-03, 11:19 PM
Despairing is too weak a word. Perhaps it'd be better for me to say that I was "quivering in abject horror and fear, mewling in terror in a darkened corner, hoping to do decent enough and knowing it is impossible."

I'm no great writer, but that should convey my feelings on the subject well enough. :smallwink:

I know just what you mean. I fell like that before every Spanish test. I can pass all other subjects with ease, and yet my deep faliure in spanish continues. It is deeply humilating that I should fail in a class, and I shall do my best to stay above water, but the end is near:smalleek:

Felixaar
2008-12-04, 04:46 AM
Misery? Mauve Shirt?

We can't have this!

*rushes in, enforcing hugs*

...*snort* Oral Exam.

KnightDisciple
2008-12-04, 06:46 AM
I despaired over exams and schoolwork.
Then I got out into the "real world".
Now I miss that stuff. :smallfrown:

thubby
2008-12-04, 06:52 AM
despairing? not at all, just a little *finger falls off* er, overworked. seriously, 6 hours in front of a computer hammering out 2 different essays. mercifully, i can skip Monday's exam.
*starts wrestling finger away from dog*

AslanCross
2008-12-04, 06:58 AM
Speaking as a teacher, exam week isn't pleasant either. :P Checking is the part of teaching that I hate the most. However, it is a necessary evil. Just that some teachers dump unnecessary amounts of work.

Ninja Chocobo
2008-12-04, 08:47 AM
I finished high school..er..[time] ago. Never been happier.

UncleWolf
2008-12-04, 09:24 AM
Ugh, I have a 2-3 page paper due tomorrow and then Finals all next week.
Two of them are at 8am

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-12-04, 09:29 AM
I've already written two ten-page essays for different classes, and a five-page draft of another one is due for workshopping in class today. I'm also giving a presentation on one of the ten-page papers tommorow (It's on the language and terminology of the RPG gaming subculture, for my History of the English Language). Plus I have an exam for that class as well. And then there's other, shorter papers for other classes. On the plus side though I only have one actual exam, and then the rest are all papers, most of which I'll have out of the way by the end of the week.

I pissed off my mom by wasting time reading D&D books however, so she made me hand them over to my disability counselor until next Friday, when I'm going home.:smallfrown:

Coplantor
2008-12-04, 10:13 AM
I have an art history test on december 11th, the next day is the deadline for an art project, the 17th is the final day for a design project involving a complete study and analisis of a neighbourhood, including it's history, pro's and cons regarding visual polution and infrastructure for events planning, also, a full studuy of the client and the competition. I have to design the graphics for an entire event that lasts a whole week, I have to design promotional T-shirts, posters, CD's and the boxes of both the CD's and the T-shirts, and all I have done till now is crap. The 22nd is the deadline for a portfolio with all my works of this year and a project for a typographic deck of poker cards. And the most boring part, the 29th is the final day for a redesign project for a toothpaste package and a tea package, redesigning is the easy part, but I have to make a complete analisis of the supports I'll be using, kinds of inks, full list of different colors (Not inks, but the combinations of them) I'll be using (and I cant design a simple package to make this part easier because the re dewsign cannot be too different from the original).

Plus, I'll start working next week (or the week after that).

Vagnarok
2008-12-04, 11:19 AM
Man, finals week is my favorite part of the semester! I'm not being sarcastic at all either! It's the best because you don't have any classes, so you just take your finals and have a whole ton of free time.

Midterms are far worse for me. Then you have all these exams and papers due on top of your already busy schedule.

Good luck, I hope you do well on all of your endeavors!

Castaras
2008-12-04, 11:47 AM
Meh, Mock Exams suck majorly. Lessons + Mocks = ARGHLEFLARGLEBLAAARGH.

yeah. Although, I do end up making some very interesting doodles on the paper they cover on our exam tables. Ripped off one so far. May rip off others if they're any good.

Ishmael
2008-12-04, 08:38 PM
You know, finals in High School were so simple. I didn't need to study for any of them, because all I needed to do was put a modicum of effort in the class and I'd get an A.

Boy, now's it's different in college. I'm at a ridiculously competitive school, so I'm pitted against some of the most intelligent people I've ever met. It's crazy. I have an essay due next week, then two finals within 12 hours of each other. I'm actually looking forward to it, though. All I have is tomorrow, then a final real weekend, then half a week of finishing classes, then five days where I'm going to basically be buried in the library. Then, on Dec. 17, it's over, and I get to go home for a month. Oh yeah!

Kjata
2008-12-04, 10:37 PM
What the hell? My finals arent for another month or so(semester ends at the end of January). Where are all these finals going on?

Don Julio Anejo
2008-12-04, 11:21 PM
Two finals tomorrow... Completely screwed for one of them. Biopsych and brain area function isn't my strong point.

@Kjata: I would assume North American universities. Most of them have 3-something month long semesters (e.g. September-November) with another 2 or so weeks taken up with final exams.

Rinzy
2008-12-05, 12:19 AM
I had a geology final today in which the professor asked questions that were NOT on the study guide :smallconfused: At least he gave us an extra credit project.

Along with that, I have a french professor who fell behind by missing class and is taking it out on us by moving about 3x faster than he was earlier this semester...We started a new chapter with 4 classes left. I've also just finished a 43 page long report for an online health class (yes, contradictory much) that was supposed to be an easy A...and I'm still really not sure why a history degree requires taking it when a biology degree does not!

I'll be happy when they're all over, though. It's nice to know that once I get through this last patch I'll get to chill out for a while! :smallsmile:

UncleWolf
2008-12-05, 12:23 AM
I've also just finished a 43 page long report for an online health class (yes, contradictory much) that was supposed to be an easy A...and I'm still really not sure why a history degree requires taking it when a biology degree does not!

I

:smallconfused:
That is rather...odd.

de-trick
2008-12-05, 01:16 AM
not really stressed, but have 2 unit tests one in grade 11 Canadian French History(not to be political but whole unit was basicly hearing about them whinning about trying to be seperate) the otheris applied math on money managment ( and I never do any work in that class, today instead of doing a credit card hand in asignment we decided to play connect 4 and pictionary, both on the dry earse board in the empty room across from the math lab.

P.S I won in total 2-1 connect 4, 4-3 pictiionary

Haven
2008-12-05, 01:41 AM
Trying to write a story for class....but...so damn uninspired right now. I mean, I know what I want to write, it's just...bah, probably overcomplicating this.

UncleWolf
2008-12-05, 01:42 AM
Trying to write a story for class....but...so damn uninspired right now. I mean, I know what I want to write, it's just...bah, probably overcomplicating this.

What is it about? Maybe I can help, I have some time before I can fall asleep.

Dumbledore lives
2008-12-05, 01:46 AM
We just finished finals and now it's time for summer break. Summer, not winter. Luckily in this, really stupid IMO, NCEA system we don't have to write any papers ahead of time, at least for high-school. We just have to write 2 essays in an hour for both English and Social Studies, as well as the normal test. Luckily these were all pretty easy though for some reason I did badly on the English essasy, which I though I had done good on. I'm sorry I don't know your pain, but I did have finals recently.

Pyrian
2008-12-05, 02:33 AM
I've also just finished a 43 page long report for an online health class (yes, contradictory much) that was supposed to be an easy A...and I'm still really not sure why a history degree requires taking it when a biology degree does not!For the same reason that most majors probably have to take some sort of "statistics for idiots" and math majors don't bother. :smallwink:

Mauve Shirt
2008-12-05, 01:04 PM
I'm done with the end-of-semester projects! Hooray!
Finals next week, but my first one's on Wednesday, so right now I'm ignoring that. Also I'm refusing to check my grades. I want to stay in a decent mood. :smallsmile:

Jjkaybomb
2008-12-06, 08:42 AM
I have three finals, two of witch are easy A's and one will be at the very least a C...but all this week I was in a mass panic about a paper that needed eight sources for only FOUR PAGES, a speech of whatever, and a philosophy paper that actually wasnt too bad...well at least the philosophy paper is done...screw the other two...

toasty
2008-12-06, 09:31 AM
What the hell? My finals arent for another month or so(semester ends at the end of January). Where are all these finals going on?

Most of my friends have just taken or are taking end of year exams. The rest are studying for their A Levels...

Me... my end of term exams (erm... one paper and a math test) are in Jan.

Its nice not having lots of big tests... just regular small ones. :)

On the other hand... I have less free time during normal school and smaller breaks than all my friends who aren't homeschooled... *sigh*

Linkavitch
2008-12-06, 03:51 PM
Several times I've had to re-read an entire textbook to study for a final, only to discover that there are a total of three questions on the first 7/8 of the book, and all of which I already knew.

Moff Chumley
2008-12-06, 04:00 PM
Midterms are aproaching. Should be reasonably easy, accept for math. I'm fine with mat, but due to some errors on the part of the staff, I'm a Freshman in a Junior math class. :smalleek:

Don Julio Anejo
2008-12-06, 04:59 PM
Two down. Two to go..

evisiron
2008-12-06, 05:30 PM
Currently writing an assignment which appears to be completely different from the perspective of "What the question asks" and "How it is marked".
Its like hearing "Ride this bike from point A to point B. You will be marked according to your kite flying abilities." Argh!

AslanCross
2008-12-06, 05:38 PM
I just finished making an exam on Memoirs of a Geisha. Thankfully the book has a lot of stuff to ask about. There are some books that are just so boring that it seems pointless to ask any questions about it.

Multiple choice questions are harder to make. All the choices need to be plausible, and I need to make a lot of them. Essays are much easier to make, just much harder to check.

But seriously, I hate checking. It gets mind-numbing and exposes me to a lot of student stupidity. The only thing I get out of it is that I get to practice speed-reading. What's worse is that the science and math teachers make a big show of releasing their results the next day because they can finish checking an entire class in 15 minutes (all multiple choice, using a shade-the-circle mechanic), while it takes me four hours just to finish one class, and by then my brain has reached saturation point. :smallannoyed: :smallmad::smallfurious:

Mauve Shirt
2008-12-06, 06:34 PM
What level do you teach, AslanCross?

AslanCross
2008-12-06, 11:34 PM
What level do you teach, AslanCross?

Third year high school. Our system here's rather different from the US's; we only have 6 years for elementary and 4 years of high school. Private schools sometimes have two more years in elementary (Preparatory and 7th grade).

Fredthefighter
2008-12-07, 05:56 AM
I'm in year 11 (That's Sophmore at High School to you Americans) and Tomorrow, the 2 Week Mock-Exam period for my GSCE's starts. Now I'm lucky, I took my English Exam Early so that is two exams I don't have to do.
This means I only have to do Science, French-Reading, Two Maths Exams, An All day Drama Exam, French-Listening and Graphic Products (Technical Drawing).
Not only this but as a young boy I am currently suffering Girl Related Problems.