PDA

View Full Version : board games?

captain_entropy
2008-12-03, 10:42 AM
what was the last board game you played? and did you win?

Joran
2008-12-03, 12:01 PM
Ticket to Ride: America (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/24439) with the 1910 Expansion and I won.

Probably doesn't count as a board game but last card game I played was Race for the Galaxy (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/28143) with the Gathering Storm expansion and I won as well.

DigoDragon
2008-12-03, 12:19 PM
I played Backgammon about 3 months ago. Lost both games by two.

Martok
2008-12-03, 01:53 PM
Age of Renaissance, this past weekend. It was the first time I ever played. I didn't win, but I did manage to end up in second. :smallcool:

Zenos
2008-12-03, 02:05 PM
I played chess, and won against my twin brother.

Occasional Sage
2008-12-03, 03:37 PM
Most recently? Many scenarios of Days of Wonder's Memoir '44 (http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/). We played several of the scenarios twice, switching sides. I won a large majority, but not easily by any stretch of the imagination. I'm looking forward to a rematch.

Ash08
2008-12-03, 11:01 PM
Commands and colors:Ancients, I beat my dad at the battle of Raphia as the Ptolemy.

Erloas
2008-12-03, 11:15 PM
I played Backgammon about 3 months ago. Lost both games by two.

You mean you actually know how to play backgammon? Lots of people seem to have the game on the back side of other games but I've yet to actually find anyone that actually knows how to play it.

I like both Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan. Although its been a year (just after last christmas when I got them for my mom and brother) since I've played either. We were supposed to play durning Thanksgiving but never managed to take the time to play.

I really like Carcassonne, the biggest problem is that the people I have to play with aren't that great at it so they don't like to play much. Of course I get the same problem with most board games. Last time I played chess against my mom something went wrong and she won and then she said she was done playing forever so she could go out on top. That was about the same thing with the last time I played Magic:TG against my brother. Also why no one wants to play THUD! (another great board game).
It was also similiar with Uno Rummy-up, where they actually had to enforce the "can only lay down 8 tiles a turn" rule on me several times. Its not my fault I could rearrange the whole board to keep placing tiles and no one else could follow what I was doing.

Although not board games as-such, the last games I've played is Battletech (won) and Warhammer (minor loss) against my brother durning Thanksgiving.

ocato
2008-12-03, 11:24 PM
Two weeks ago I won trivial pursuit with my girlfriend (team game) and monopoly (by myself).

Thane of Fife
2008-12-04, 12:43 AM
Commands and Colors: Ancients for me as well, where I dealt my father's Carthaginians a crushing defeat at Zama (after being pounded at the a Great Plains).

Although I've actually got a game of Objective: Tunis set up on my desk as I type. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to play it soon.

Commands and colors:Ancients, I beat my dad at the battle of Raphia as the Ptolemy.

Is that one of the expansions? How are those?

Prowl
2008-12-04, 12:58 AM
Diplomacy. It ended when a drunk observer landed on the board in Spring of 1907.

Dumbledore lives
2008-12-04, 01:09 AM
I played in a chess championship at my school and I finally won the final game. The person I was playing was slow enough I managed entire rounds of scum while I was waiting for him to move. Seriously, it took him like 10-15 minutes per move, where as I was taking about 30 seconds, because I had already found out his best/ most likely moves and was planning a response to each one. Most boring game I've ever played.

Griever
2008-12-04, 01:25 AM
Candyland, I won all the battles, but lost the war.

banjo1985
2008-12-04, 04:19 AM
Carcassonne with the river expansion, and I came a respectable second.

I also love Ticket to Ride, but tend to come last at that whihc isn't ideal.

DigoDragon
2008-12-04, 09:47 AM
You mean you actually know how to play backgammon? Lots of people seem to have the game on the back side of other games but I've yet to actually find anyone that actually knows how to play it.

Yeah, my wife is big into Backgammon, so she taught me the rules. I'm still a novice as I only have a 25% winning record. Though I too noticed not many people know how to play Backgammon.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-12-04, 12:54 PM
My wife and I play the Settlers of Catan card game frequently as well as Ticket to Ride (Original) and Ticket to Ride Switzerland edition. I'm a big fan of Carcassonne but she doesn't like it as much.

valadil
2008-12-04, 01:11 PM
Catch Phrase and I got owned badly. I blame bad luck more than anything though.

Crispy Dave
2008-12-04, 02:47 PM
I played Killer bunnies and I won.

pendell
2008-12-04, 03:06 PM
Chrononauts from the same people who make Fluxx. My wife and I played 5 games. I won 2, she won 2, and the 5th time I exterminated the human race and allowed a race of super-evolved cockroaches to inhabit the earth. Since I was attempting to do that ('cause I was in a bad mood), I count that as a 'win', since I successfully completed the objective I set for myself before my wife did.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

snoopy13a
2008-12-04, 03:13 PM
Is Beer Pong a board game? :smallsmile:

fang_q
2008-12-04, 03:22 PM
Dungeon of Durokan.
Crap, that was ages ago. I need to get out more.

late for dinner
2008-12-05, 02:13 PM
Settlers of Catan the card Game

(its a 2 player only game)

I owned my opponent.

If you want to get techincal and actually hear a "board"game:
Robo Rally and I lost

Joran
2008-12-05, 04:17 PM
I also love Ticket to Ride, but tend to come last at that whihc isn't ideal.

I tend to be good at planning games where I pick the resources I want like Ticket to Ride, Thurns and Taxis, and Race for the Galaxy.

I stink at games like Bohnanza and Settlers of Cataan where I need to trade with other people...

Totally Guy
2008-12-05, 04:26 PM
My gaming group played shadows over camelot which is everybody is a team against the board game. We got a draw with the forces of good (us) being equal to the forces of evil (the game).

I like to play Puerto Rico with my family and we've all been winners and losers of it. And my dad really gets a kick out of being the good dad that sits around on a sunday afternoon and spends quality time with his sons. He sked if he should buy his own copy of the game but I told him no. But I took that as a cue to buy Carcassonne for his birthday. So over christmas I think we'll be playing that.

captain_entropy
2008-12-15, 11:05 AM
this past weekend we drank and a friend brought over Pictionary Man and it was awesome!! i hadn't played pictionary in YEARS!! i was just looking to purchase one online and came acorss this . . www.letsplaypictionaryman.com
thought some of you might be interested.

TheEmerged
2008-12-15, 11:17 PM
The last board game I played was Trigon and yes, I won.

The last board game I played against opposition over the age of 9 was Robo Rally, almost 2 years ago come to think of it. I won, albeit barely.

SilentNight
2008-12-15, 11:23 PM
Clue, I don't think I've ever lost to my family.

Knaight
2008-12-15, 11:27 PM
Over the last two or three weeks I've played a few, although the order has kind of blurred together.
Don't remember the name, basically one team tries to get a piece to the edge of the board, the other tries to take that piece. Played three times, won all three, one as the escapers, two as the capturers(I seem to be better at the offensive strategy)

Chess, played once, at school, and the bell rang two moves away from my win. The other time the bell rang too early to tell, but I was losing.

Settlers of Catan, played four times, won two, one of which was Seafarers.

Guillotine, played four times, won four. I seem to have a knack for it.

Yes I play a lot of board games.

warty goblin
2008-12-15, 11:30 PM
Axis and Allies, I was in the process of losing, when tragically I had to abandon the defense of the Fatherland to go garner a higher education. Game before that: Axis and Allies, which I also lost. Britain ruled more or less the entire freaking planet by the end of the game. Game before that, Axis and Allies, which I also lost, although Russia did better that time. Before that it was Axis and Allies, which featured what would probably have been the largest naval battle in history off the East Coast of the US, during which the Kriegsmarine beat the snot out of the US Navy, mostly because my opponent failed to grasp the immense potency of supporting a fleet with two battleships.

Stormthorn
2008-12-15, 11:37 PM
Dark Tower against the computer.

I was slowly but surely pwnd.

Democratus
2008-12-16, 01:45 PM
Twilight Imperium (http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=21&enmi=Twilight%20Imperium%203rd%20Edition). It's an excellent 3X space game. Almost like playing Masters of Orion on the table top. I highly reccomend it, as well as just about any board game published by Fantasy Flight. They really know their stuff.

warty goblin
2008-12-16, 02:48 PM
Twilight Imperium (http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=21&enmi=Twilight%20Imperium%203rd%20Edition). It's an excellent 3X space game. Almost like playing Masters of Orion on the table top. I highly reccomend it, as well as just about any board game published by Fantasy Flight. They really know their stuff.

X3? Which one is it missing?

bondjamesbond
2008-12-16, 03:07 PM
Lately We've been playing Pictionary Man as well as Apples to Apples.

They're a good laugh, and since we entertain frequently we tend to break them out alot.

The kids are big fans of Snorta as well. I picked it up for them a few weeks ago and they dig it.

www.letsplaypictionaryman.com www.playyourredcard.com and www.letsplaysnorta.com are decent places to check out of you've never played these games and want to check them out.

ufo
2008-12-16, 03:11 PM

Wow, this game looks awesome. Wish there were more people into this stuff where I live :smallfrown:

Gwain
2008-12-16, 03:57 PM
Last one was El Grande yesterday (were i was last :smalleek:), last week had a game of Puerto Rico (my fav game, actually), Carcassone and Caylus (also a good game)

I'm planning to play Agricola for the first time sometimes soon.

OldSchoolGamer7
2008-12-16, 08:20 PM
Lately We've been playing Pictionary Man as well as Apples to Apples.

Played the last one with my family after dinner on Thanksgiving. It is...interesting, to say the least playing with them. They don't get most of the jokes I throw into the pot.

Democratus
2008-12-17, 10:10 AM
X3? Which one is it missing?

Explore. The whole map is visible to all the players, so there is no phase were you have to scout out "mystery" zones that may or may not have planets/stars/space krakens/etc. Though there are optional rules for hidden items on planets that only reveal when you invade. That might be enough for some to qualify for the final "X".

Also want to note that the "Shattered Empires" expansion is excellent. It further tweaks the balance of the game and adds new rules and new races to the mix.

Magnax
2008-12-18, 12:51 AM
Played Arkham Horror (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkham_horror) a couple of weeks ago. Our investigators won against Shub-Niggurath. By a pretty wide margin too - he wasn't even close to awakening when we closed the last gate.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-12-18, 02:01 AM
I played Axis and Allies: Europe a couple weeks ago. Germany owned face. I sadly was not Germany. :smallfrown:

charl
2008-12-18, 02:14 AM
Chess. Won one game, lost one.

Haven't played any actual nerdy board games in a long while. I wish I could play more.

Martok
2008-12-18, 04:06 PM
I'll definitely second Twilight Imperium III and the Shattered Empire expansion. Takes all day to play, but easily one of the most fun board games I've seen. (A pity the Clan of Saar is broken, but oh well!)