PDA

View Full Version : Quickling (4e race)

Tuataralad
2008-12-03, 09:13 PM
Ok, I've made a race modeled after the quickling, which in case you don't know (they're in the MM) are a race of very fast, small, elven creatures.

Crunch:

Quickling

Height: 3'6" - 4'0"
Weight: 50-60 lbs.
Ability Scores: +2 DEX, +2 WIS
Size: Small
Speed: 8
Senses: Low-light vision
Languages: Common, Elven
Skills: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Stealth

Fey Origin
Your ancestors were native to the feywild, so you are considered a fey creature for any effects related to creature origin.

Small and Speedy
Quicklings get a +2 racial bonus to AC vs. opportunity attacks

Superb Reflexes
Quicklings gain a +1 racial bonus to reflex defence

Feats:

Heroic

Nimble Sprinter
Prerequisites: Quickling
You do not grant combat advantage to enemies after running

Ridiculous Velocity
You gain a +1 feat bonus to speed. this bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and to +3 at 21st level

Paragon

Agile Retreat
When you shift, you can shift up to two squares instead of one

Speedy Blood Frenzy
Prerequisites: Quickling, Rogue
You get a +2 damage bonus against enemies that could not see you at the start of your turn. Increase the bonus to +4 at level 21

Fluff:

Quicklings are originally from the feywild, and most of them remain there, save the odd adventurer who chooses to explore new lands, for one reason or another. For this reason they are not well known in the material plane, and they are a rare sight, even in the largest cities. Quicklings will generally do anything it takes to improve their own wellbeing, and are often known to side with more powerful beings than themselves, especially a fellow fey. They usually work for themselves, only helpin others if it benefits them in the long run, and they will abandon an ally without a second thought at the first sight of trouble.

Quicklings are quite short, and they have skin which ranges from various shades of gray to pure white. They have very large eyes and ears, which heighten their senses in the dark, and because of this, many commoners make the mistake of assuming quicklings are related to goblins, a mistake which has been many a poor civilians last. Quicklings generally distance themselves from any non-fey race, although they especially despise goblinoids and halflings. Although the life expectancy of quicklings is not known, estimates have range from two up to four centuries.

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-05, 04:50 PM
Agile Retreat is completely insane.

Everything else seems fine.

Alteran
2008-12-05, 06:31 PM
I like it overall, but I do disagree with a few things.

I would phrase Ridiculous Velocity as "You gain a +1 feat bonus to speed. Increase this bonus to +2 at level 11, and to +3 at level 21."

I would consider reducing the base speed to 8. You already have Ridiculous Velocity to increase it, and I think it could get too high. We're not even factoring in items. If you do reduce this, it may be fair to give Quicklings a new/improved racial feature. Quick and Speedy could give a +3 bonus, for example.

I agree that Agile Retreat is too good, perhaps make it 2 squares instead of 3.

I think this is a good race with potential to be very useful.

Mando Knight
2008-12-05, 06:57 PM
For even more ridiculous speed, I suggest using Blast Processing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91988). :smalltongue:

You should change Fey Origin's wording to be the same as that of the Eladrin's (I think the plural of Eladrin is Eladrin...) and Elves'. Otherwise, they'd be ineligible for being affected by item powers that affect fey creatures as worded.

Also, they don't have a racial power. All officially published races have at least one power associated to them.

Tuataralad
2008-12-05, 09:43 PM
Agile Retreat is completely insane

Changed it to two squares instead of three, thought it was a little overpowered.

I would phrase Ridiculous Velocity as "You gain a +1 feat bonus to speed. Increase this bonus to +2 at level 11, and to +3 at level 21."

I would consider reducing the base speed to 8

Done.

You should change Fey Origin's wording to be the same as that of the Eladrin's (I think the plural of Eladrin is Eladrin...) and Elves'. Otherwise, they'd be ineligible for being affected by item powers that affect fey creatures as worded.

Also, they don't have a racial power. All officially published races have at least one power associated to them.

Changed wording of fey origin. I didn't give them a racial power because I was worried they would get too overpowered, they already have a very high speed and two decent racial features. Also, dwarves don't have a racial power, but instead have several features (but 5 speed).

Zocelot
2008-12-05, 09:54 PM
For Speedy Blood Frenzy, I'd consider making it permanant, and lowering the damage bonus, because feats aren't something people should have to keep track of to remember if they were used in the encounter. Powers already fill that role. Also, think about making the bonus apply if the enemy couldn't see you are the start of your turn. That way, you get the whole "run out and stab before they have a chance to react" thing going on.

Something like this: You get a +2 damage bonus to enemies that couldn't see you at the start of your turn. Increase the bonus to +4 at level 21.

Tuataralad
2008-12-05, 10:18 PM
Something like this: You get a +2 damage bonus to enemies that couldn't see you at the start of your turn. Increase the bonus to +4 at level 21.

Ok, that seems to make sense.

Alteran
2008-12-05, 10:44 PM

Dwarves, Half-Elves, Humans.

Looks a bit clearer and more balanced now, but there weren't really any huge problems to begin with.

mikeejimbo
2008-12-06, 12:46 AM
Dwarves, Half-Elves, Humans.

Looks a bit clearer and more balanced now, but there weren't really any huge problems to begin with.

I think Dilettante replaces a power for Half-Elves, and that extra At-Will for Humans. Dwarves just get a bunch of cool stuff instead.

As for the race, I like it, but is that seriously the name in the MM? My Moradin, that's an unimaginative name. (I'm not at all directing this to you, the OP, since you didn't come up with it, of course. But I would expect better from WotC.)