PDA

View Full Version : The Invincible Hikikomori Borg Cube(3.5e rules)

Saturn
2008-12-03, 11:39 PM
Hello, everyone. I saw this on an archived 4chan thread and thought you might get a laugh at the sheer ridiculousness of it. Here is the revised version, with all of the following text taken from the thread.

Let's say we have a mobile stronghold, simply two spaces stacked on top of each other: a fancy bedroom and a fancy bath. It's a 20x20x20-foot cube. It has walls made out of magically treated obdurium, it can fly at 10 miles per hour, and it can plane shift once per day.

The Landlord feat from the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook gives us an allowance to build our stronghold. Four 9th-level characters that all took Landlord can pool together for an allowance of 100,000 gp, four 12th-levels have 400,000 gp, four 15th-levels have 1,000,000 gp, and four 20th-levels have 3,200,000 gp.

A spell turret from the Dungeon Master's Guide II costs "500 gp × caster level × spell level" and "40 XP × caster level × spell level". A spell turret that cycles through lesser orb of acid/electricity/fire/sound at caster level 1st will cost 500 gp and 40 xp. However, they can instead be purchased at their market price for 1000 gp. Luckily, they're considered traps, so they count as part of a stronghold and thus Landlord can be used to buy them. Also, traps have a default BAB of +10, so the spell turrets firing orb of [energy] spells will be relatively accurate considering that they're firing ranged touch attacks.

Spell turrets are Diminutive devices, and 25 Diminutive things can fit in a 5-foot square. A stronghold that's just two spaces stacked on top of each other is a 20x20x20-foot cube. That gives us sixteen 5-foot squares on each side with a potential 400 spell turrets each. Note that spell turrets meld in with the wall while inactive, so you're free to place them on the bottom wall.

A lyre of building makes all of your stronghold within 300 feet totally invincible, but can only be used once per day. Luckily, you can get an at-will version of a 1/day item for 5x the cost, so we can pick up a lyre of building for 65,000 gp.

Bedrooms, fancy = 4,000 gp
Bath, fancy = 2,000 gp
Obdurium exterior and interior walls ×2 spaces = 120,000 gp
Weekly success on a DC 18 Perform check with a lyre of building = -30% construction price
-----
MUNDANE CONSTRUCTION TOTAL = 88,200 gp

Airtight walls ×2 spaces = 15,000 gp
Magically treated walls ×2 spaces = 24,000 gp
Ethereal solid walls ×2 spaces = 24,000 gp
Transparent walls ×2 spaces = 6,000 gp
Incredible locomotion ×2 spaces = 50,000 gp
Burrowing mobility ×2 spaces = 20,000 gp
Crawling mobility ×2 spaces = 2,000 gp
Flying mobility ×2 spaces = 30,000 gp
Sailing mobility ×2 spaces = 6,000 gp
Submersing mobility ×2 spaces = 7,500 gp
Plane shift 1/day ×2 spaces = 50,000 gp
Chamber of comfort ×2 spaces = 15,000 gp
Chamber of seeing ×2 spaces = 15,000 gp
Forbidding sigils ×2 spaces = 24,400 gp
Hall of hope ×2 spaces = 21,000 gp
Hall of speech ×2 spaces = 8,000 gp
Hole of hiding ×2 spaces = 6,000 gp
Map of tactics, greater = 36,000 gp
Room of reading ×2 spaces = 1,500 gp
Secure chamber ×2 spaces = 120,000 gp
Table of feasting = 43,200 gp
Tornado's eye = 90,000 gp
Veil of obscurity = 25,000 gp
Wondrous whisperer ×10 walls = 30,000 gp
-----
MAGICAL CONSTRUCTION COST TOTAL = 669,600 gp

At-will lyre of building = 65,000 gp (13,000 gp × 5)
Lesser orb of acid/electricity/fire/sound at caster level 1st spell turret = 1,000 gold pieces OR 500 gold pieces and 40 experience points

Brief rundown of each of the magical components:

• Airtight walls means no liquid or gas can enter the cube, unless you open it up.
• Magically treated obdurium walls have hardness 60, 360 hit points, break DC 80, and climb DC 25.
• Ethereal solid walls make it so that nobody can sneak inside through the Ethereal Plane.
• Transparent walls mean that you can see outside your cube, but people can see inside too (more on that later).
• Burrowing, crawling, flying, sailing, submersing mobility at incredible locomotion means you have all forms of movement available at 10 miles per hour (14.67 feet per second or 88 feet per round).
• Plane shift lets you transport the cube to another plane once per day, albeit appearing 5d% miles from the intended destination.
• Chamber of comfort gives you an infinite supply of fresh air at a cozy 70 degrees Fahreinheit.
• Chamber of seeing negates all invisibility within the cube.
• Forbidding sigils forces a DC 19 Will save against anyone that tries to extradimensionally enter or teleport into the cube. Failure (even once) means they can never teleport in for eternity.
• Hall of hope gives everyone inside the cube a +2 morale bonus on saving throws, attack rolls, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls.
• Hall of speech makes everyone inside understand any language, even from outside the cube.
• Hole of hiding makes the ceiling (of both rooms) act like a rope trick spell.
• Greater map of tactics gives you a map of everything one mile within the cube, and lets you track the status of up to six subjects for 18 hours per day each.
• Room of reading gives everyone inside a permanent read magic spell.
• Secure chamber gives the entire cube a mind blank spell, so no divination spells work on it and nobody's minds can be influenced.
• Table of feasting gives a heroes' feast spell thrice per day.
• Tornado's eye gives you tornado-force winds in a 720-foot radius, 40-foot high cylinder with an 80-foot radius safe zone in the center.
• Veil of obscurity gives you a permanent mirage arcana spell for the cube, meaning you can make it look like WHATEVER YOU WANT from the outside.
• Wondrous whisperer gives each wall a whispering wind spell, meaning they're all speakerphones with a 1-mile range.

2400 Orb of Acid/Electricity/Fire/Sound turrets.
Round 1: 2400d8 acid, no save, no spell resistance
Round 2: 2400d8 electricity, no save, no spell resistance
Round 3: 2400d8 fire, no save, no spell resistance
Round 4: 2400d6 sonic, no save, no spell resistance
Round 5: Rest
Repeat

The problem is, each turret only has a range of 25 feet. You'll be running into range problems, but then again you're goddamn invincible and moving at 14.67 feet per second.

Also: Where the heck are you gonna get all that magic stuff?

Original thread (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/873590/)

Asbestos
2008-12-03, 11:52 PM
Hm... I'm just trying to think of a way to defeat it, hopefully for a lesser cost than it takes to make.

Jothki
2008-12-03, 11:54 PM
Does it have any resistance to antimagic, though?

Emperor Tippy
2008-12-03, 11:54 PM
You should see some of the stuff I did with the fortress rules. Unfortunately Atlantis isn't online and the thread with the rest of the stuff is somewhere buried in the archives (actually I think its been deleted because it was in the recruiting section of the PbP forums).

Ravens_cry
2008-12-03, 11:56 PM
Does it have any resistance to antimagic, though?

That would be superbly ironic.

Saturn
2008-12-03, 11:59 PM
Antimagic spells are blocked by the walls. At best you'd turn off its cannons.

Jothki
2008-12-04, 12:21 AM
Antimagic spells are blocked by the walls. At best you'd turn off its cannons.

Is that an effect of the Obdurium? I don't see anything else on there that'd do it.

Saturn
2008-12-04, 12:25 AM
I think so, yes.

mabriss lethe
2008-12-04, 12:26 AM
Is that an effect of the Obdurium? I don't see anything else on there that'd do it.

Line of effect?

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-04, 12:32 AM
anything in there protect from disintegrate? moving really fast doesn't have any mechanical effect on AC, which makes it really easy to hit with disintegrate, which has ignores hardness. I think it jsut destroys be volume for objects, instead of by hp. don't have books on me to check.

its not hard to be immune to its damaging effects with spells, either.

as usual, magic wins.

Asbestos
2008-12-04, 12:33 AM

I think Obdurium is just super-adamantine. It has no magical (or anti-magical) properties that I can think of, beyond being impossibly strong. I could be wrong here, don't have the source material around.

So... we just hit it with an antimagic field and... done. Since Obdurium is so darn strong and this thing is air tight its probably easier to just let whoever is inside suffocate rather than trying to hack them out.

@Tippy: As soon as I read the OP I was wondering what fortresses in Tippyland are like.

Ravens_cry
2008-12-04, 12:35 AM
I see nothing on this page (http://www.sulerin.com/rules/rules.asp?op=detail&c=House+Rules&a=20050804164627) (scroll down to Obdurium) that mentions an anti-magic magic blocking effect specifically

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-04, 12:35 AM
doesn't it still block line of effect? that seems to be the issue

Saturn
2008-12-04, 12:38 AM
anything in there protect from disintegrate? moving really fast doesn't have any mechanical effect on AC, which makes it really easy to hit with disintegrate, which has ignores hardness. I think it jsut destroys be volume for objects, instead of by hp. don't have books on me to check.

Rulebook scan:

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/873590/images/152.png

Asbestos
2008-12-04, 12:40 AM

its not hard to be immune to its damaging effects with spells, either.

as usual, magic wins.

That darn Lyre of Building though...

If the proper chords are struck, a single use of this lyre negates any attacks made against all inanimate construction (walls, roof, floor, and so on) within 300 feet. This includes the effects of a horn of blasting, a disintegrate spell, or an attack from a ram or similar siege weapon. The lyre can be used in this way once per day, with the protection lasting for 30 minutes.

Edit: Darn Ninjas... mine is easier on the eyes though :smalltongue:

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-04, 12:42 AM
STOP SHOUTING!

seriously dude, using big letters doesn't reflect well on you.

Obdurium is metal, right? Is there a transmute metal to something else spell?

Asbestos
2008-12-04, 12:43 AM
STOP SHOUTING!

seriously dude, using big letters doesn't reflect well on you.

He isn't, its a page scanned from a book I believe.

Ravens_cry
2008-12-04, 12:43 AM
doesn't it still block line of effect? that seems to be the issue
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm
The part on area seems to imply to me you can put the area dispel magic point of origin anywhere you wish within the spells range.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-04, 12:44 AM
Oh, in that case, spoilers are your friend.

spoilers are used by typing (spoiler) text you want spoilered (/spoiler)
replace () with []

You can't most spells without line of effect. I doubt the area of an antimagic field extends through a stone wall, much less uber super metal walls.

Especially since that ruling has been used time and again on these forums during arena battles (run by rules-lawyery types)

Asbestos
2008-12-04, 12:48 AM
Obdurium is metal, right? Is there a transmute metal to something else spell?

There's a Transmute Metal to Wood spell... which isn't useful in that we can damage the thing, but in that we can now use Passwall on it to make a hole.

Quellian-dyrae
2008-12-04, 12:49 AM
Hmm...that quote does specify inanimate construction. This construction is not only animate, but more mobile than most characters.

Demented
2008-12-04, 12:49 AM
Go to another plane and then Gate the crew.
Wait, I'm pretty sure that's the tactic they used in Star Trek...

You could also teleport a larger, similarly-designed cube on top of it, then dimensional lock the whole thing. :smalltongue:

Saturn
2008-12-04, 12:54 AM
Hmm...that quote does specify inanimate construction. This construction is not only animate, but more mobile than most characters.

I think by "animate construction" that means golems and such.

Quellian-dyrae
2008-12-04, 01:06 AM
I think by "animate construction" that means golems and such.

A possible interpretation. However, it doesn't allow it to be used on all forms of objects, then preclude animate constructions, nor does it specify constructs. It states that it must be used on an inanimate construction. This fortress is able to move under (if I understand things right from the posts, as I don't have the Stronghold guide) its own power, which makes it pretty clearly animate.

Yukitsu
2008-12-04, 01:28 AM
Not to mention, you can animate construct the walls, and permancy it.

icefractal
2008-12-04, 04:35 AM
One thing though - I don't actually see the point of building it from Obdurium. Since you're making it invulnerable via the Lyre of Building, you may as well make it from cardboard. I guess Obdurium provides some protection if the Lyre is somehow stopped, but by 20th level things like disintegrate make non-invulnerable building materials fairly similar.

As far as antimagic, it blocks antimagic for the same reason hiding under a cardboard box blocks antimagic - no line of effect. Antimagic would stop your turrets though.

lord_khaine
2008-12-04, 04:44 AM
why not just teleport inside?
the only thing stopping that is a dc 19 will save, and thats really not that hard to make with a small bit of preperation.

Belial_the_Leveler
2008-12-04, 06:01 AM
Horrible unnatural abomination!
Waste of magic and space!
Through Power Words my will be done, cast autotwinned disjunction, destroying the turrets
Through Time's currents and Magic's ban, engage twin celerity contingency and cast split antimagic ray, affecting the entire castle with anitmagic
melt and shrivel in the morning sun,
I command you now begone! cast Invoke Magic, cast quickened autotwinned Ghorus Thoth's Metal Melt, melting the entire castle as it now counts as nonmagical
And lest you reincarnate at a later age
when I be not here and the DM senile and dazed,
I dissolve you – ad infinitum! cast Unname on the builder

-Ghorus Thoth, munchkinhunter.

Blood_Lord
2008-12-04, 12:44 PM
why not just teleport inside?
the only thing stopping that is a dc 19 will save, and thats really not that hard to make with a small bit of preperation.

Yeah, that was my reaction. Move invisibly next to it, use Abrupt Jaunt and/or Anklet or Translocation and/or Swordsage teleports.

Once inside, you are visible. Oh noes, also, you can kill them all.

Belial_the_Leveler
2008-12-04, 08:47 PM
I'm not visible. I just shapechanged into a creature with total concealment in all conditions except broad daylight. I am for all intents and purposes invisible except for effects that counter invisibility. :smalltongue:

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-12-04, 09:12 PM
Heh. You should make it susceptible to sleep.

Just for the lulz - filled reference.

Yukitsu
2008-12-04, 09:15 PM
Yeah, that was my reaction. Move invisibly next to it, use Abrupt Jaunt and/or Anklet or Translocation and/or Swordsage teleports.

Once inside, you are visible. Oh noes, also, you can kill them all.

Oh right, you have to fill the cube with glass marbles too. I forgot about that. :smallwink: