PDA

View Full Version : 5th level Paladin spells?

Kris Strife
2008-12-04, 01:57 AM
I was looking through the Draconomicon and found a nice feat: Improved Spell Capacity [epic]. Prerequisite: Ability to cast spells of the normal maximum spell level in at least one spell casting class.
Benefit: You gain one spell slot per day of any level up to one level higher than the highest level spell you can already cast. Stat requirements and bonus spells apply.
So, 10 level Sorc, Cleric and Wizard spells, 7 level Bard spells and 5 level Rang and Pal spells.
Would you let a Paladin use Raise Dead?

KKL
2008-12-04, 02:04 AM
At epic levels, I fully expect the Paladin to exude so much positive energy and Good that corpses around him that he wishes to raise do so at their leisure.

Because he's that great.

Xefas
2008-12-04, 02:05 AM
I was looking through the Draconomicon and found a nice feat: Improved Spell Capacity [epic]. Prerequisite: Ability to cast spells of the normal maximum spell level in at least one spell casting class.
Benefit: You gain one spell slot per day of any level up to one level higher than the highest level spell you can already cast. Stat requirements and bonus spells apply.
So, 10 level Sorc, Cleric and Wizard spells, 7 level Bard spells and 5 level Rang and Pal spells.
Would you let a Paladin use Raise Dead?

The extra slot is meant for metamagic. A Maximized 7th level spell for instance, would be effectively 10th level.

That said, if you were trying to come up with a "5th level Paladin Spell", I'd allow Revivify, which is similar to an in-battle Raise Dead.

You cast it on a person whose been dead for 1 round or less, and they get restored to life with no level loss. The material component is 1,000gp worth of diamonds.

EDIT: Although, this is epic level, so the poster above me has a very good point.

Kris Strife
2008-12-04, 02:34 AM
At epic levels, I fully expect the Paladin to exude so much positive energy and Good that corpses around him that he wishes to raise do so at their leisure.

Because he's that great.

My next paladin reaches level 21, I will ask my next DM to let his tears cure cancer, his sweat autoimmune diseases and for him to actually pee pure light...

Also, who gets metamagic feats for a paladin anyways?

metagaia
2008-12-04, 06:37 AM
Well cure critical wounds is a fairly obvious choice to go in the list.

Core level 4 Paladin spells (with the exception of CSW) seem to be at cleric level 4 if they are general, and level 5 if they are niche. Bearing that in mind my spell list would be as follows:
Cure light wounds, mass
Disrupting Weapon
Geas/Quest
Raise dead
Rightous might
Spell resistance
Undeath to Death

There probably are more spells in the Spell compendium, but I really cannot be bothered looking.

Hal
2008-12-04, 07:07 AM
My next paladin reaches level 21, I will ask my next DM to let his tears cure cancer, his sweat autoimmune diseases and for him to actually pee pure light...

Wouldn't that burn just a tad? I imagine that to be a D&D equivalent STD.

KnightDisciple
2008-12-04, 07:12 AM
Wouldn't that burn just a tad? I imagine that to be a D&D equivalent STD.

Hm. I wouldn't think so. I mean, light doesn't burn. If it was infrared or ultraviolet light, but just shiny, golden, visible light? Don't see why it would.

Edit: of course, the question becomes, if this paladin's tears cure cancer...does he ever cry?

Vexxation
2008-12-04, 07:18 AM
Edit: of course, the question becomes, if this paladin's tears cure cancer...does he ever cry?

He does if he doesn't want to fall for being stingy.

Kris Strife
2008-12-04, 07:20 AM
Hm. I wouldn't think so. I mean, light doesn't burn. If it was infrared or ultraviolet light, but just shiny, golden, visible light? Don't see why it would.

Exactly. Paladins are immune to disease, remember?

Yes, but mainly from laughing too hard.

Fawsto
2008-12-04, 09:00 PM
Humm... This idea to give Paladins 5th level spells has something to do with a recent Idea I am building to make it a better class.

Waiting until epic? It would not worth it.

Buffs? Your equipment gives you the bonuses you need.
Damage? Divine spells are not the best spells to deal direct damage (there are exceptions)

This level would come in handy like... Much earlier... I mean, all spells from the Paladin and Ranger list should show up much sooner than they do...

Prometheus
2008-12-04, 09:35 PM
Actually it feels like angel-feathers on your skin, except inside out. I am the authority on the matter, because I can actually pee light. The most disturbing part of the process, in my opinion, is the that fact that it is white light, not golden light. I feel like it should be more yellow and not have the ability to diffract into other colors.

Kizara
2008-12-04, 09:42 PM
In my houserules, I dropped the paladin (and ranger's) spellcasting down 4 levels, giving them 1st-level spells at level 1.

Here's the new and revised spell lists I made (for the paladin):

Paladin:

-Add Detect Magic to 1st-level list.
-Lesser Restoration is a 2nd-level spell.
-Undetectable Alignment, when cast by a paladin, allows him have his aura not have a lingering effect.
-Add Bear’s Endurance to 2nd-level list.
-Add Spiritual Weapon to 2nd-level list.
-Cure Moderate Wounds is a 2nd-level spell
-Cure Serious Wounds is a 3rd-level spell.
-Add Cure Critical Wounds to 4th-level list.
-Add Magic Vestment to 3rd-level list.
-Add Invisibility Purge to 3rd-level list.
-Add Dimensional Anchor to 4th-level list.
-Add Divine Power to 4th-level list.
-Remove Restoration from the 4th-level list (add to 5th).

5th-level list:

-Cure Light Wounds, Mass
-Disrupting Weapon
-Righteous Might
-Spell Resistance
-True Seeing
-Spell Immunity
-Restoration
-Mark of Justice
-Find the Path

Mando Knight
2008-12-04, 09:45 PM
I imagine that to be a D&D equivalent STD.

Question: If a Paladin is immune to disease, if he is exposed to a disease, does he become an immune carrier of said disease, or is his body so purely holy-awesome that the pathogen is annihilated upon contact with his blood stream?

Kris Strife
2008-12-04, 09:47 PM
Actually it feels like angel-feathers on your skin, except inside out. I am the authority on the matter, because I can actually pee light. The most disturbing part of the process, in my opinion, is the that fact that it is white light, not golden light. I feel like it should be more yellow and not have the ability to diffract into other colors.

It turns golden if you get dehydrated. (Am I the only one wondering if someone actually house ruled this as a light source?)

Kizara
2008-12-04, 09:48 PM
Question: If a Paladin is immune to disease, if he is exposed to a disease, does he become an immune carrier of said disease, or is his body so purely holy-awesome that the pathogen is annihilated upon contact with his blood stream?

I'm not sure if this is explictly stated somewhere, but I'd say that being immune to something means that it has 0 effect on you, and thus no, he wouldn't become a carrier.

From a conceptual PoV, dieases are both chaotic and evil, thus a paladin is immune to them and does not spread them (in fact actively combats them).

BRC
2008-12-04, 09:53 PM
I am now picturing a white blood cell attacking a disease cell while shouting "SMITE EVIL!"