PDA

View Full Version : Ur-Priest/True Necromancer

rayne_dragon
2008-12-04, 08:35 AM
So I'm trying to put together a character with True Necromancer levels and I'm wondering if there's a way to do it using Ur-Priest for the cleric levels while still getting 9th level wizard spells by level 20.

The main problem I'm having is with getting the Death Domain.

Failing being able to do that, can anyone recommend a good True Necromancer Build that can cast both cleric and wizard 9th level spells by level 20?

RMS Oceanic
2008-12-04, 08:38 AM
Don't have the relevant book for the Necromancer. Do they gain spellcasting like a normal arcane guy? If so, Necromancer 9/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theruge 8/Necromancer 1 gets you both Divine and Arcane magics by level 19.

Belial_the_Leveler
2008-12-04, 08:42 AM
Arcane Disciple: Death Domain for a feat might solve the problems IF your DM allows it since the feat doesn't technically give you the Death Domain.

kamikasei
2008-12-04, 08:45 AM
Don't have the relevant book for the Necromancer. Do they gain spellcasting like a normal arcane guy? If so, Necromancer 9/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theruge 8/Necromancer 1 gets you both Divine and Arcane magics by level 19.

It's not "necromancer", it's "True Necromancer" - it's a theurge-type class for cleric/necromancers from, I think, Libris Mortis.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-04, 09:05 AM
So I'm trying to put together a character with True Necromancer levelsWhy? If you want to play a necromancer, Dread is much better than True.
and I'm wondering if there's a way to do it using Ur-Priest for the cleric levels while still getting 9th level wizard spells by level 20.

The main problem I'm having is with getting the Death Domain.

Failing being able to do that, can anyone recommend a good True Necromancer Build that can cast both cleric and wizard 9th level spells by level 20?The True Necro needs 2nd level Divine spells, 2nd level Arcane spells, a worthless domain, and Rebuke Undead. I recommend Wizard 1(Precocious Apprentice)/Cleric 3/True Necro 14/MT 2. 15th level Wiz, 17th level Cleric. Failing that, Wizard 1(Precocious Apprentice)/Cleric 3/True Necro 1/Ur-Priest 1/TN 13/X 1. Wizard 14, Ur-Priest 14(9th level Cleric spells).

I really recommend Dread Necromancer, though. These builds have such nerf'd spellcasting it's not even funny.

JeminiZero
2008-12-04, 09:43 AM
Why? If you want to play a necromancer, Dread is much better than True. The True Necro needs 2nd level Divine spells, 2nd level Arcane spells, a worthless domain, and Rebuke Undead. I recommend Wizard 1(Precocious Apprentice)/Cleric 3/True Necro 14/MT 2. 15th level Wiz, 17th level Cleric. Failing that, Wizard 1(Precocious Apprentice)/Cleric 3/True Necro 1/Ur-Priest 1/TN 13/X 1. Wizard 14, Ur-Priest 14(9th level Cleric spells).

I really recommend Dread Necromancer, though. These builds have such nerf'd spellcasting it's not even funny.

Ture Necro also requires 8 ranks in Knowledge Arcane and Religion, so you can't take it before level 6.

Also, wouldn't Alternate Spell Source work better than precocious apprentice? Then you can go 1 Cleric / 4 Wizard (Alt Sp Src) / 1 True Necro / 1 Ur Priest /13 True Necro. And you end up with level 13 Ur Priest (L9 divine) and level 16 wizard (L8 Arcane).

rayne_dragon
2008-12-04, 08:30 PM
Why? If you want to play a necromancer, Dread is much better than True.

I'm actually trying to recreate a non-D&D character in D&D terms. I want the spellcasting versatility of a wizard rather than the (admittedly cool) Dread Necromancer class. As for True Necromancer, it's more of a substitution for Mystic Theurge.

How is castig 9th level divine spells, plus 8th level arcane spells nerfed?

Currently I'm looking at Wizard 5/Ur-Priest 2/MT 3/Contemplative 1/True Nercomancer 8/Wild Mage 1 or something like that.