PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Clerical issues

Hal
2008-12-04, 12:38 PM
I have two questions, one of mechanics and one of semantics.

1) I don't understand Channel Divinity and I'm too lazy to look up a FAQ. Does a cleric get only one use of Channel Divinity each encounter, so that he has to choose between Turn Undead, Divine Fortune, or whatever feat ability he may have picked up? Or is it that each Channel Divinity power gets one use each encounter, such that, for example, a cleric could fire off both Turn Undead and Pelor's Radiance in the same encounter?

2) The Divine Oracle paragon path has an 11th level power that prevents you or the party from ever allowing the enemy a surprise round. I'm having trouble deciding if this is a good idea or a bad one. It's happened very rarely that any of my DMs have had enemies ambush us and get a surprise round out of it. If your DM doesn't play that way, then it's a wasted power. Alternatively, does taking away that option from the DM steal away a legitimate tool from his tool box?

PairO'Dice Lost
2008-12-04, 12:56 PM

1) I don't understand Channel Divinity and I'm too lazy to look up a FAQ. Does a cleric get only one use of Channel Divinity each encounter, so that he has to choose between Turn Undead, Divine Fortune, or whatever feat ability he may have picked up? Or is it that each Channel Divinity power gets one use each encounter, such that, for example, a cleric could fire off both Turn Undead and Pelor's Radiance in the same encounter?

It's the first one. It says that "Regardless of how many different uses for Channel Divinity you know, you can use only one such ability per encounter" so once one is used, that's it, you can't use the others.

2) The Divine Oracle paragon path has an 11th level power that prevents you or the party from ever allowing the enemy a surprise round. I'm having trouble deciding if this is a good idea or a bad one. It's happened very rarely that any of my DMs have had enemies ambush us and get a surprise round out of it. If your DM doesn't play that way, then it's a wasted power. Alternatively, does taking away that option from the DM steal away a legitimate tool from his tool box?

Speaking as a DM, removing surprise doesn't really hinder encounter design, as just like your DM has shown there are plenty of other things you can do without surprise. I'd say if you're worried about not using that ability don't take it unless the rest of the features make it worthwhile, but don't worry about handicapping your DM.

RebelRogue
2008-12-04, 12:57 PM

1) Channel Divinity is an Encounter power. That means one use per encounter, no matter what use you put it to.

2) Not really sure what you're asking. If the DM never surprise you anyway, consider yourself lucky!

Edit: ninja'ed... damn...

Oracle_Hunter
2008-12-04, 09:15 PM
(2) Don't forget that the same power gives you Danger Sense for free. Honestly, it's one of the better 11th Level Features.

So yeah, if your DM never tries to get a Surprise Round on you, I guess it's not as good as it could be, but it's by no means a junk power.

TheEmerged
2008-12-04, 09:22 PM
1) Channel Divinity is an Encounter power. That means one use per encounter, no matter what use you put it to.

Since someone already answered the question, I just want to 'second' this answer as the easiest way to explain it to people.

Hal
2008-12-08, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the answer, guys. I guess that's what I get for not reading everything in the class features section.

Sorry for the threadomancy, but I had one more question and I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it.

Can a cleric use a Holy Avenger? There's nothing in the description of the item that specifically says "Paladins only," but there's a lot of implication to that effect.

NecroRebel
2008-12-08, 12:39 PM
Holy Avengers can be used as a holy symbol. Clerics use holy symbols as implements. Therefore, clerics can use Holy Avengers as implements.

While traditionally paladins were the only ones who could use them, nowadays anyone can, and anyone who uses a holy symbol can benefit from their special property. Do bear in mind, though, that Holy Avengers are all axes, hammers, and heavy blades, so unless they burn a feat on proficiency they are only proficient if they're using a Holy Avenging Scythe, which seems a bit of an odd weapon to be made Avengerish.

Hal
2008-12-08, 12:48 PM
Holy Avengers can be used as a holy symbol. Clerics use holy symbols as implements. Therefore, clerics can use Holy Avengers as implements.

While traditionally paladins were the only ones who could use them, nowadays anyone can, and anyone who uses a holy symbol can benefit from their special property. Do bear in mind, though, that Holy Avengers are all axes, hammers, and heavy blades, so unless they burn a feat on proficiency they are only proficient if they're using a Holy Avenging Scythe, which seems a bit of an odd weapon to be made Avengerish.

No, I definitely want to be playing the Reaper of Bahamut when I reach lvl 25.