PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question: Can ranged attacks be made while flying?

Tyrael
2008-12-04, 02:31 PM
Are there any exceptions? Can you make ranged attacks (like a longbow) while gliding? Do you need a certain minimum aerial maneuverability to make ranged attacks? What about moving around? Do you still require Shot on the Run in order to make a swooping shot, or are you still moving around in the same terms as you would on the ground (e.g. move action, standard action, then you sit there in midair until your next turn)?

Ponce
2008-12-04, 02:38 PM
I think as long as you don't try to shoot in the middle of your move action, you are fine (to perform a harrying maneuver you would obviously need shot on the run).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-04, 02:40 PM
I think as long as you don't try to shoot in the middle of your move action, you are fine (to perform a harrying maneuver you would obviously need shot on the run).Actually, only Flyby attack. Also, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to attack. This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#movingInThreeDimensions) is all I could find, but it didn't mention any issues specifically with Ranged weapons.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-04, 02:46 PM
Moving is moving, doesn't matter how.

Tacoma
2008-12-04, 06:12 PM
I second the answer that flying movement is handled exactly like land movement, except for the 3D component and MC, and the fact that split-move feats are movement type specific (land, swim, or fly).

Curmudgeon
2008-12-04, 08:44 PM
Generally you can maintain minimum forward speed for flying with a single move action, so you're free to use a standard action to make a ranged attack. If a single move action isn't enough, you'll spend the next round trying to recover from a stall.