PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The gentleman barbarian (character concept)

Fiery Diamond
2008-12-04, 03:45 PM
So, there's a character concept that I've really wanted to play, but I haven't had the opportunity to do so because of not being able to be a player in a long time. :smallfrown:

Basically, I'm building off of a character concept and character mechanics. The class: Barbarian.

I'll call the character Temper. Temper dresses nicely, as one would expect of a well-trained fighter of good breeding. He wears, as his armor, a chain shirt. At his side he carries a masterwork (or magical) bastard sword. He is clean-shaven, and he holds himself well. He is kind and courteous to those he meets, and is especially chivalrous. Temper is a very diplomatic individual, attempting to solve problems first by talking them out. He comes across as very calm and laid-back, yet earnest and sincere.

But Temper has another side to him. Whenever he ends up in battle, his eyes light up as if on fire and he loses himself in bloodlust, slashing mercilessly through all his foes, seeming to thrive in the bloodbath. All compassion is gone, and he will heartlessly kill anyone who stands in his way in his berserker fury.

Additionally, Temper has a few sensitive issues that cause him to lose his cool. If any of his friends are threatened or severely insulted or any innocent girls or women are put in danger, his eyes gain a cold fury and he seems to become much stronger as he pins the offender to the wall with his left hand while pointing the tip of his blade at the throat with his right. In a low voice he gives them one final warning, which often scares the wits out of them.

So, let's think of how this character would best be built (core only, at least 3rd level, no higher than 6th level, race is human, class must be barbarian).

I'm thinking skills need to be (at least):
Max intimidate
Literacy
Max diplomacy(cross-class)

Feats (probably):
Weapon prof: Bastard sword
Power attack
Cleave
Great cleave (at 6th)

Ability score arrangement: Assume 2 high scores (16+) 2 moderate scores (12-15) 2 low scores (8-11)
Not sure what the best arrangement would be.

Well? What are your reactions to this/ suggestions for how to do this build?

RMS Oceanic
2008-12-04, 04:06 PM
1. Do you intend for Temper to wield his sword one-handed? If not, you don't need the EWP feat.
2. Cleave's okay, but unless you know you'll be facing a lot of enemies you can one-hit-kill on a regular basis, Great Cleave isn't really worth it.

Prioritise you scores like so: Str>Con>Dex>Int>Wis>Cha

Bayar
2008-12-04, 04:10 PM
NONONO. To make a gentleman barbarian, do what I did.

Get an orc barbarian with a strong british accent, a top hat, a monocle, Highest stat in CHA, max ranks in UMD (CC) and build the whole party around him. Then get pissed that you suck so much and just rage and kill everything you see around you moving.

Hal
2008-12-04, 04:10 PM
First, a gentleman barbarian is not going to have charisma as a dump stat. No reason not to do it, but it probably ought to be a part of the concept.

Next, how would you feel about multiclassing with rogue? This will get you literacy, it will gain you some extra damage, and you'll get skill points to throw into diplomacy. If you don't want to take sneak attack dice, you can use the rogue variant that gets bonus feats instead.

This guy also seems like he might be the perfect vehicle for my idea, Malaprop the Orc. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93850&highlight=Malaprop)

SurlySeraph
2008-12-04, 04:18 PM
Sounds a whole lot like Berserker from 8-Bit Theater (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=040710).

hamishspence
2008-12-04, 04:19 PM
Make me think a bit of Owen Deathstalker- aristocrat with a "boost" ability, thats a bit like this.

Not all barbarians have to be Illiterate Men In Hide Armour.

Eldariel
2008-12-04, 04:41 PM
Does it have to be a Bastard Sword? 'Cause that's gonna make choosing your feats much harder. Wouldn't a Longsword sufficide? Much more chivalrous a weapon anyways. That'd open up feats for things you'd really want for the character concept. First of all:

Imperious Command [Drow of the Underdark] - Requires 15 Charisma, so make sure you've got that. It makes opponents cower for the round when they'd normally be shakened. That is, you really get the "frozen in fear"-effect when you go mad. Also, very efficient mechanically (for an intimidator anyways)

Intimidating Rage [Complete Warrior, I think] - A great feat for the concept. You're fearsome in your Rage. This shows it. Also, again a great mechanical synergy.

Use the Cityscape Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)'s skill switches to pick up Sense Motive, Gather Information (max both, if possible) for Survival and Handle Animal, and depending on the actual combat style you'll strive for, Tumble. You may also consider the Ferocity-version of Rage presented in the same Web Enhancement - instead of increasing your Constitution, it increases your Dexterity, and can be used as an immediate action (a great combination with Intimidating Rage and Imperious Command - make opponents cower when you go mad, and go mad whenever you wish!).

Oh yeah, and pick up the Extra Rage-feat [Complete Warrior - gives you two more daily Rages]. You can go mad whenever an innocent lady is threatened; show it. Oh yeah, one more option: pick Martial Study: Any White Raven-maneuver. This would give you, not only a great combat maneuver to use, but also Diplomacy as a class skill! Then you could max Intimidate, Diplomacy, Sense Motive and Gather Information, and be an incomparable diplomat, not one easily decieved and one very able to generate knowledge, but one who'd never lie or cheat.

Person_Man
2008-12-04, 04:43 PM
Re: your build

You need to use a two handed weapon in order to use Power Attack effectively. Thus there's no reason to use a bastard sword, and there's really no reason to take EWP. I suggest you pick a two handed reach weapon instead, like the glaive. You'll often pick up a free AoO every round when enemies move in to attack you.

Cleave is a good feat at low levels, but it's far less useful at high levels because it's far less likely that you'll drop an enemy every round while threatening another enemy.

Feat Suggestions:

Extra Rage
Leap Attack
Combat Reflexes + Stand Still
Improved Bull Rush -> Shock Trooper
Improved Bull Rush -> Knockback (Requires Powerful Build)
Mounted Combat -> Ride by Attack -> Spirited Charge (preferably w/ small race with a lance wielded with two hands)

gibbo88
2008-12-04, 04:45 PM
I blame arnie for that barbarian assumption.

You'll probably want sense motive too if you plan on having anything to do with royal courts....or anyone really. Seems like you need good stats for everything since you have taken a physical class and are tryna give it a decent sized aspect that relates to mental stats?

Eldariel
2008-12-04, 04:49 PM
As for stats, I'd say you need:

Max Str
Max Con
15 Cha (hope/pray)
Medium Dex
Poor Int
Poor Wis (a pity, but they can't be helped; even with just 8 in Int, you still have enough skillpoints to max the 4 skills listed though)

Telonius
2008-12-04, 04:57 PM
If you're going core-only, I'd second Hal's suggestion for Dual-Classing something. If the bastard sword is non-negotiable for flavor reasons, Fighter would probably be your best choice. Use your bonus feat to get EWP.

Barbarian1 - Power Attack, Improved Initiative (human).
Barb1/Ftr1 - EWP (Bastard Sword)
Barb2/Ftr1 - Weapon Focus (B'sword)

Future feat possibilities: Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Improved Critical, Improved Bull Rush, Combat Reflexes/Improved Trip if you have spare feats lying around. Cleave if you must, but leave off Great Cleave - I've generally found that it's only useful once in a blue moon. Honestly, other than that, there's not much in Core for you.

Fri
2008-12-04, 05:05 PM
Reminds me on my gentlemanly half-orc priest.

Starbuck_II
2008-12-04, 05:07 PM
Core only?

Barbarian 1/Bard 5.
What? I think it works. Perform: Weapon Stunt (do stunts with weapon).
Perform can be anything you want so totally Core.

Bards can cast Rage spell so you get Rage.
Inspire Competence can be reflavored as showing how awesome you are. (everyone + you gains +1 hit until you stop being awesome).
You waste 1 round to start but use no actions to continue the Performance.

They have Chain Shirt as castable to wear.
They have Diplomacy as class skill, Literacy, and can cross skill Intimidate.