PDA

View Full Version : New 4E liscensing restrictions on total conversions? (4E Naruto!)

Vazzaroth
2008-12-04, 11:47 PM
Is anyone familiar with the new license system? Some friends and I are starting work on bringing a total conversion we were working on in 3.5 to 4th, but I know they changed their stance on these things since the d20 system license.

Would it be bad if we put links in our sigs to our forums? That's my main question. Anybody understand the Legalize well enough to know if a cease and desist may result?

Meek
2008-12-05, 10:59 AM
Total conversion of what?

Right now, the GSL doesn't cover anything except material published for profit. So if you're a guy working out of a forum, Wizard's doesn't care what you do. I believe in the Gleemax forums, a Wizard's rep was talking about how "Wizard's of the Coast is dealing with torrents, bootleggers and online pirates – not the guys doing homebrew" (paraphrased but that's the gist of it). So until WotC releases a fansite policy (and probably even when they do), they probably don't care enough about what you're doing.

However, if you're converting an old 3.5 product (as in, it was once published for profit and it's owned by) from them or another D20-producing company to 4e, they might have trouble with that in the future – right now they don't seem to be paying enough attention, but if/when we get a GSL revision, you might just be out of luck.

Vazzaroth
2008-12-05, 02:09 PM
Thank you, that was what I was wondering.

What we are doing is using 4th Edition DnD as a base for a Naruto (Yes, another Anime RPG!) Game, like Naruto d20 that was out for the d20 system previously. Changing all the specifics but keeping the game frame.

But we don't really plan on doing it for profit, just pride, so I guess we're probably good. :smallbiggrin:

TheEmerged
2008-12-05, 03:34 PM
Thank you, that was what I was wondering.

What we are doing is using 4th Edition DnD as a base for a Naruto (Yes, another Anime RPG!) Game, like Naruto d20 that was out for the d20 system previously. Changing all the specifics but keeping the game frame.

But we don't really plan on doing it for profit, just pride, so I guess we're probably good. :smallbiggrin:

You'll find that it's pretty easy to build the classes from scratch in 4e. My soulknife project started off as a one-off of Naruto ninjas and was working so well I decided to make it a separate class :D

Mando Knight
2008-12-05, 04:39 PM
Hmm... Naruto might actually work better in 4e, as the Ninja classes would have their powers flavored as "Jutsu," and thus the more basic ones (i.e. a single shadow clone, throwing a shuriken) might be at-wills (definitely make a shadow clone at-will... otherwise you'll never be able to "Believe It!" :smalltongue:), while Chidori and Multiple Shadow Clone jutsus might be encounter or daily powers.

Vazzaroth
2008-12-05, 04:56 PM
Hmm... Naruto might actually work better in 4e, as the Ninja classes would have their powers flavored as "Jutsu," and thus the more basic ones (i.e. a single shadow clone, throwing a shuriken) might be at-wills (definitely make a shadow clone at-will... otherwise you'll never be able to "Believe It!" :smalltongue:), while Chidori and Multiple Shadow Clone jutsus might be encounter or daily powers.

Oh. Em. Gee.

You have no idea (Or perhaps you do, it seems) just how much easier Naruto fits into 4e than 3.5. It's pretty much perfect. We are changing some basic mechanics to fit better, but overall it's very easy to design for.

Anyway, If anyone is interested we are in the beginning stages of setting up and starting a forum for our data, you can check it out here (http://4enarutoproject.freeforumhost.com/index.php).
(Not a whole lot up right now but we are working on it, and you can't see much unless you register because we had issues with spam bots in the past... :smallfrown:)

Theeon
2008-12-05, 10:35 PM
yes we would very much like some help or atleast some comments so please stop by.

Also please dont say believe it....also also kage bunshin might be an at-will, around 21st level

mikeejimbo
2008-12-06, 12:49 AM
I'm glad to hear that they don't mind non-profit homebrewers. I don't personally know much about Naruto, but good luck to you guys. :smallsmile:

TheEmerged
2008-12-08, 10:53 PM
Waiting for a reply to my registration :smallbiggrin:

Just a broad suggestion regarding stuff like the kage bunshin. Don't make the power itself a jutsu. Reason from effect, and make the tricks the jutsu allows you to do into the powers.

For example...

"Yet Another Clone"
Level 6 Utility Jutsu
Your attacker finally hits the 'real' you, only to discover it was a clone too!
Daily Power, Ki, Clone, <Element>
Immediate Interrupt, Personal Range.
Trigger: An attack damage you, and that damage would result in you becoming bloodied or reduced to 0 HP.
Effect: The damage from the triggering attack is ignored. You immediately teleport up to 10 squares, and your attacker's turn ends. If the square is out of the attacker's line of sight, you have combat advantage against that attacker until the end of your next turn.
Air, Fire Element: If you teleport to a square that is at least 6 squares from where you started and 2 squares from the attacker, you may immediately make a basic ranged attack against the attacker with combat advantage.
Earth, Lightning Element: If you choose to teleport to a square adjacent to the attacker, you may immediately make a basic melee attack against the attacker with combat advantage. With Earth, you surprise them by bursting from the ground beneath them. With Lightning, you drop unexpectedly from above at high speed.
Water Element: Before you make your standard action during your next turn, you can spend a single healing surge as a minor action.

"Because You Can Never Have Enough Clones"
Level 22 Utility Power
Immediate Interrupt, Personal Range.
Finally done with your clones, your opponent attacks you -- only to find a new set of clones to face!
Daily Power, Ki, Clone, <Element>
Trigger: An attack damage you, and that damage would result in you becoming bloodied or reduced to 0 HP. You cannot use this power when you have other clones on the field.
Effect: That damage is negated, and your opponent's turn ends. Choose three empty squares within Burst 1. You are teleported into one of those squares; the remainder are filled with Full Clones (see below).
Air, Fire Element. You may instead choose a number of squares equal to 2 + your Constitution modifier.
Water, Earth Element. You may instead choose squares within Burst (1+Wisdom Modifier).
Lightning Element. If there is a square within 10 squares of you that is out of the attacker's line of sight, you may instead teleport to that square and create three full clones in squares adjacent to your previous square.

Basic Clones: Basic Clones are illusions (Genjutsu). They have your scores for all Defenses, speed, and appear to have identical basic melee and basic ranged attacks. They act on your initiative (this can change if you or one of them holds an action). All of their attacks seem to 'just barely miss' (the attacks are illusionary).

Full Clones: Full Clones follow the rules for minions (they are killed by a single damaging attack that hits). They have your scores for all Defenses, speed, and identical basic melee and basic ranged attacks. They act on your initiative (this can change if you or one of them holds an action). Like minions, a single hit (regardless of damage) destroys them. Unlike minions, "miss" effects also destroy them and any burst/blast power that targets them destroys them as well (no hit roll necessary).

Examine Clone: Minor action. Use requres being a Arcane/Psychic/Ki class or being trained in Perception. You target one target you believe to be a clone. If the roll succeeds, you know whether or not it is a clone. If the roll succeeds by 10 points, you also know whether or not it is a full clone or basic clone (the default is that it is a basic clone). This does not immediately destroy the clone, but reporting your discovery is a free action. The DC is a resisted skill check Perception vs Bluff or Endurance (whichever is higher for the clone's creator).

Clone Confusion: Move action (by the clone). Use requires that the clone's creator be trained in Stealth. The clone moves up to its speed, moving through the same space as at least one other clone (by the same creator) or the clone's creator. On a successful resisted Stealth versus Insight check, anyone that had 'discovered' this clone 'forgets' that fact. If used by an NPC against a PC, the DM should take both pieces up so it is not clear if the one that started the move and the one that finished it are the same piece.

*Design note: I have found that when dealing with a class with a feature similar to the rogue's Flourish vs Thug or the Warlock's Pacts that many players begin to feel they "have" to take the powers associated with that feature. So I've been designing the powers to have multiple 'bonuses' for those features (often very small ones), and to have multiple powers in each 'slot' that gain advantages from this feature.

Vazzaroth
2008-12-09, 01:46 AM
Cool, welcome our official first community member! :smallbiggrin: