PDA

View Full Version : Punch a guy's head clean off?

MustacheFart
2008-12-05, 01:56 AM
Hey guys/gals,

I'm back to ask another question(probably end up as questions).

Is it possible to make a character that can punch an enemy's head off with an unarmed strike aka his fist?

The only couple ways I could figure would be:

Way 1)

Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII) - lets you pick what type of damage your unarmed strikes do..ala..either bludgeon, piercing, or slashing.

+

A +1 Vorpal Amulet of Natural Weapons (I think this is the item...its from Savage Species I believe but I can't remember if that's 3.5 or 3.0)

= on a 20 head comes off! Of course I think it would probably be more like chopping the head off with your hand. I mean...to get vorpal you need slashing and using VUS feat to deal slashing I'd imagine would be doing like a karate chop instead of a punch.

Way 2)

Go the PrC Kensai and put vorpal on your hands; although, I'm not sure if it'd be possible. Kensai says you can put enchants on your fists but you gotta do both.

+

Do a punch!

= on a 20 you knock their head off!

Are there any other or better ways to punch someone's head off?

Basically, in my game I'm thinking about taking a cohort and I'd like to have one that can do nasty stuff unarmed but particularly a signature effect of knocking someone's head off with his fist! My character is working toward becoming the powerhouse melee dps wise already so I just want a guy that can complement him. Ya a caster would be the best cohort but I want to kinda make a tag team synergy type feel in combat...hell a guy who could heal my main guy as well would be sweet since he'd be fighting next to him;thus, within easy touch range.

Any ideas? Basically thinking Johnny Cage...

Weiser_Cain
2008-12-05, 02:05 AM
coupe de grace

Keld Denar
2008-12-05, 02:08 AM
Do it as a Warforged and put Throwing and Returning on your fists, along with Vorpal, and you have...

ROCKET PUNCHES THAT MAKE PEOPLES HEADS ASPLODE!

newbDM
2008-12-05, 02:09 AM
First, what edition is this?

If 3.5, I would say the Amulet of Natural Weapons from Savage Species + vorpal.

newbDM
2008-12-05, 02:11 AM
Do it as a Warforged and put Throwing and Returning on your fists, along with Vorpal, and you have...

You, sir, are a genius!

I am trying to remember an anime like that. It's on the tip of my head.

Thurbane
2008-12-05, 02:11 AM
The great thing is, this so totally fits the flavor of Eberron! :smalltongue:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-05, 02:12 AM
You, sir, are a genius!

I am trying to remember an anime like that. It's on the tip of my head.Terran Troppa Gurren Lagann(sp)? Never seen it, but from what I've heard it seems to fit.

newbDM
2008-12-05, 02:12 AM

Are you saying that like it is a good thing, or a bad thing?

newbDM
2008-12-05, 02:14 AM
Terran Troppa Gurren Lagann(sp)? Never seen it, but from what I've heard it seems to fit.

Actually, now I believe it was actually from one of the Power Rangers/Super Sentai seasons. My bad. Still can't completely recall which one (I believe I missed that season).

Tacoma
2008-12-05, 02:15 AM
Eberron makes me sick whenever I see it.

Anyway! Just convince your DM to add this as flavor description when you kill someone with enough damage overflow. After all ... you could have just cut his head off the corpse in the next round with a knife. It's not like it DOES anything special.

Thurbane
2008-12-05, 02:16 AM
Are you saying that like it is a good thing, or a bad thing?
Sometimes a thing is neither good nor bad, just a thing. :smallbiggrin:

Tengu_temp
2008-12-05, 02:17 AM
I am trying to remember an anime like that. It's on the tip of my head.

Either Fist of the North Star, or any super robot anime. Apart from TTGL. It doesn't actually have rocket punches.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-05, 02:18 AM
Eberron makes me sick whenever I see it. Really? I love it, especially compared to FR and the like. A setting based entirely on a combination of Rule of Cool and logical application of magic just works for me.

Keld Denar
2008-12-05, 02:21 AM
Eberron makes me sick whenever I see it.

You know, I used to hate Ebberon too, but its kind of grown on me...like a tumor. A magical Christmas tumor maybe, and I would be saddened if it were parted from me.

If you need a little help getting into into it, read what this party isn't allowed to do (http://www.angelfire.com/dragon3/captainjarlot/index.html).

Tacoma
2008-12-05, 02:21 AM
It makes me sick because I wrote something very similar, probably following their same logic and line of thought, before ever hearing about it. And now everyone will just say "oh so it's like a homebrew Eberron".

Complete waste of my time.

Shakespeare gotta get paid, son.

Weiser_Cain
2008-12-05, 02:25 AM
It makes me sick because I wrote something very similar, probably following their same logic and line of thought, before ever hearing about it. And now everyone will just say "oh so it's like a homebrew Eberron".

Complete waste of my time.

Shakespeare gotta get paid, son.
Happens to me all the time, I figure when I die I'll be accused of ripping off macdonald's salads.

Ozymandias
2008-12-05, 02:48 AM
If it makes you feel any better, the word "vorpal" is a nonsense term from a Carroll poem...

The Sentai-esque rocket-fist anime you're thinking of is probably Voltron.

MustacheFart
2008-12-05, 02:49 AM

I was actually planning to do something as such should I ever get to play in an eberron campaign.

Now, the game is 3.5 mostly with some 3.0 thrown in. I could probably swing some of that.

I just want a melee guy who fights unarmed but can really compliment my main guy. My main guy is a not-so-uber uber charger (not going FB PrC and if you've read my posts is stuck with a -5 cursed sword) who uses Shock Trooper (just got it working on Leap Attack next). He's mostly fighter and will be staying that all the way. I don't particularly like one trick ponies as main characters as they tend to get boring so staying fighter and getting all the fighter's bonus feats seems to add more to being well-rounded.

A guy who could be truly unique in his style but compliment my main guy is what I'm looking for. I just want the head-punching to his main focus..it's what he does but for him to really be doing more for main guy.

Example of complementing my main guy would be....uhh like tripping, disarming, slowing, etc...as well as for his own attacks, being able to really take advantage of my main's attacks.

Basically, who'd be best as a fellow melee'er (aka not a sorc/wiz) to compliment a beatstick in melee with low requirements on gear?

Keld Denar
2008-12-05, 02:55 AM
Basically, who'd be best as a fellow melee'er (aka not a sorc/wiz) to compliment a beatstick in melee with low requirements on gear?

In before Unarmed Swordsage...

Oh wait. Yea...Unarmed Swordsage!

Waspinator
2008-12-05, 02:58 AM

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/2577/010304bz5.jpg

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1839/010305to9.jpg

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8191/010306ar5.jpg

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/4861/010307wc3.jpg

Yulian
2008-12-05, 03:21 AM

And one of my friends disagrees when I say Eberron is sci-fi (space opera style) with the serial numbers filed off.

- Yulian

MustacheFart
2008-12-05, 03:38 AM
In before Unarmed Swordsage...

Oh wait. Yea...Unarmed Swordsage!

Ya I've seen people mention them a lot before. So I'm not even going to ask what the unarmed variant of the swordsage is. Instead I'll just ask, can you point me to where I can read a guide on them or a popular build (maybe one fitting what I'm looking for) utilizing them?

Keld Denar
2008-12-05, 11:43 AM
Um, Unarmed Swordsage is on the adaptation paragraph on page 20 in Tome of Battle. Basically, you take away their Light Armor proficiency and give them monk unarmed damage progression. I don't know of too many common builds, but the glory of ToB is that UA SS20 is prefectly viable. If you focus mostly on Tiger Claw (for pounce and multiple attacks per round), Shadow Hand (for awesome mobility/sneakiness), a little Desert Wind (boosts to add damage to all attacks), and a little Diamond Mind (to boost defensiveness, SS's can actually evasion tank pretty well).

Feats to take would probably include Improved Natural Attack from the MM, to increase the die size of your UAS, Snap Kick from ToB to get a Flurry-like mechanic, and then just about anything you want. Wanna go first? Improved Init. Wanna hold people down? Improved Grapple. Wanna be defensive? Combat Expertese. Wanna get lots and lots of attacks? TWF chain, and duel wield your fists (call em Law and Order, if you will). Lots of options, all of which are very very fun.

Kris Strife
2008-12-05, 02:57 PM
Either Fist of the North Star, or any super robot anime. Apart from TTGL. It doesn't actually have rocket punches.

To be fair, in FotNS, he didnt punch them to make their heads explode, he just put his thumbs on their temples. Also, rocket punches make me think more of Android 16

chiasaur11
2008-12-05, 03:48 PM
Actually, now I believe it was actually from one of the Power Rangers/Super Sentai seasons. My bad. Still can't completely recall which one (I believe I missed that season).

The one you're looking for is Mazinger Z.

One of the founding fathers of giant robot violence.