PDA

View Full Version : Freakangels

BRC
2008-12-05, 08:23 AM
11 British 20 somthings with psychic powers lead a community in a post-apocolyptic flooded london. It's done by Warren Ellis (Of Transmetropolitan Fame), and drawn by Paul Duffield (Who I've never heard of). It updates with six new full-color pages every friday.

I highly reccomend it, so I figured I would spread the word, and make a disscussion thread.
http://www.freakangels.com/

Malus_Black
2008-12-05, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up - this is turning out to be another one of those brilliant comics I'd never heard of. :smallsmile:

DevilDan
2008-12-06, 01:26 AM
It's engaging and the art is excellent. But take it from a long-time fan of the gifted Mr. Ellis: he's phoning it in as he does in about half his work. Or so it feels for the moment. It's the traditional Ellis plot with traditional Ellis characters and dialogs and swearing. I admit Freakangels is promising though.

I like him, but he is constantly repeating and rehashing ideas and more. If you've read Transmetropolitan you have to wonder at how the three protagonists are just reincarnations of the three protagonists of City of Silence (http://www.comicbookshelf.com/?rm=detail&id=3009), for example. And he'll reuse mcguffins and plot ideas until he's driven them into the ground.

He's good or great at a lot of things, he'll just never be one of the greats. He's at his best reworking the stuff of others, whether he's rewriting Bug Jack Barron as Transmetropolitan (which had a strong Norman Spinrad feel to it all the way through), retooling Stormwatch, playing with the comic book archetypes of others in Planetary, or reimagining MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE in Global Frequency.

Fell is an excellent showcase of his talent.

Still, I encourage others to check out both Freakangels and some of his other works.

Jayngfet
2008-12-06, 04:44 AM
It's engaging and the art is excellent. But take it from a long-time fan of the gifted Mr. Ellis: he's phoning it in as he does in about half his work. Or so it feels for the moment. It's the traditional Ellis plot with traditional Ellis characters and dialogs and swearing. I admit Freakangels is promising though.

I like him, but he is constantly repeating and rehashing ideas and more. If you've read Transmetropolitan you have to wonder at how the three protagonists are just reincarnations of the three protagonists of City of Silence (http://www.comicbookshelf.com/?rm=detail&id=3009), for example. And he'll reuse mcguffins and plot ideas until he's driven them into the ground.

He's good or great at a lot of things, he'll just never be one of the greats. He's at he's best reworking the stuff of others, whether he's rewriting Bug Jack Barron as Transmetropolitan (which had a strong Norman Spinrad feel to it all the way through), retooling Stormwatch, playing with the comic book archetypes of others in Planetary, or reimagining MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE in Global Frequency.

Fell is an excellent showcase of his talent.

Still, I encourage others to check out both Freakangels and some of his other works.

Well, I've gotten up to episode 16 and I'm absolutely loving it. If it wasn't two in the morning right now I'd finish it all in one go.

DevilDan
2008-12-15, 01:50 PM
Well, I've gotten up to episode 16 and I'm absolutely loving it. If it wasn't two in the morning right now I'd finish it all in one go.

It's entertaining, but it is still Ellis updating and remixing the work of others. In this case, as Ellis himself has said, the Freakangels are mature versions of John Wyndham's Midwich Cuckoos (also mind controlling albinos with "group mind" abilities).

BRC
2008-12-15, 02:11 PM
I havn't been exposed to these works that he's drawing from, so I'm probably enjoying it more, rather than thinking "Hey, He just slapped a different name on character X from thing Y"

Stormthorn
2008-12-18, 02:37 AM
Ah *bleeeeeeeeeeeeeep*.

I forget this existed.
When it was just starting out i read through all the pages they had and came back a few times and it didnt really seem to be updateing so i wrote it off as a good artist being uncommited to what could have become an interesting comic.

Now i find out that it actualy took off and if i want to read it im going to have to archive-dive? Damn.

averagejoe
2008-12-18, 05:02 AM
'Sokay. I'm getting pretty tired of the mostly crazy girls with occasional bits of incredible insight, though. I think it might even be becoming a pet peeve.

Jayngfet
2008-12-19, 07:40 PM
I love the all you're base jokes.

idksocrates
2008-12-21, 07:01 PM
I was quite taken with it, especially as this is my first exposure to Ellis' work. Of course, this means i'll likely enjoy his other works less, but i'd say a good steampunk dystopia comic is as good as any to like.

It was good enough that hitting the end of the archives was one of those "aw, damn, i caught up with the archives" moments.

Does he have any other free works?

BRC
2009-01-02, 11:17 AM
Concerning the most recent comic, those deaths seemed...uneccesarily graphic.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-04, 05:52 PM
Looks good. Nice art work and I like the realism. Thanks BRC for the heads up. If I'm ever elected Overlord of the Universe, I'm going to list you assigned occupation as "not human slave."

BRC
2009-01-04, 06:23 PM
Looks good. Nice art work and I like the realism. Thanks BRC for the heads up. If I'm ever elected Overlord of the Universe, I'm going to list you assigned occupation as "not human slave."
Because I won't be a human or because I won't be a slave?