PDA

View Full Version : Player tensions threaten D&D group

Kobold-Bard
2008-12-05, 11:45 AM
To all the DM's out there, how do you stop personal feelings (negative feelings that is) from spilling into game?

Player tension is high at the moment for one reason and another, and I'm afraid it will wreck the group.

Any advise would be appreicated.

Thanks in advance.

AKA_Bait
2008-12-05, 11:48 AM
To all the DM's out there, how do you stop personal feelings (negative feelings that is) from spilling into game?

Player tension is high at the moment for one reason and another, and I'm afraid it will wreck the group.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, the most you can do is talk to the problem players about it and hope for the best. D&D is in the end a game intended to be played among friends just like any other game. If people can't stand eachother, it's probably going to be an issue. You can mitigate how big an issue, but you can't really stop it from being one.

valadil
2008-12-05, 11:48 AM
I hand pick players for my groups in such a way that we don't have that kind of tension. But that probably doesn't help you all that much.

Just out of curiosity, what is the age level of the group? I find that younger players need a moderator, usually the GM, to even things out. Older players can usually work things out amongst themselves without getting the GM or other players involved.

Are you GMing or playing?

Does the problem have a single source or is everyone contributing?

Hunter_Rose
2008-12-05, 12:00 PM
It is usually better to address the issue sooner than later. Something that can be handled with a group discussion can spiral out of control into everyone leaving the game quicker than you would think. Best bet is to make sure you give everyone the opportunity to communicate and get their issues on the table. Once you know what's going on then you can deal with the feelings.

Prometheus
2008-12-05, 04:01 PM
It all depends on the scale of the problem. Let them both know that while they are at the table they should be civil and have fun - if they can't then they can't play. I had a girl who invited her boyfriend to play a couple of rounds - until they broke up in a nasty way. The girl got to stay because she was there first, but ultimately he came back and they shared the table (they were better friends at that point though).

BRC
2008-12-05, 04:16 PM
BRC's guide to defusing tensions.

Step 1: Is it a problem, that is, is it making it difficult for people to enjoy the game. Looking at it from a purely DM perspective, this is all you should care about. you can intervene for other reasons if you want. If it's not a problem, then don't butt into it. If it IS a problem, you can intervene.
Step 2: identify the source of the tension, direct communication is usually the best way, though you can ask other people familiar with the situation.
Step 2.5: Once you have identified the problem, does it look like your intervention could fix it? If so, try to do so. However, chances are that they will simply resent your butting in, so go to
Step 3: Sit down with the troublemakers and lay down the law. You don't care what is going on between them, it's their buisness, but they shouldn't bring it to the gaming table, as they are making it difficult for everybody else to enjoy themselves.
If this dosn't solve the problem
Step 4: Repeat step 3, giving them a warning. If this still dosn't work, you may need to ask them to leave the group.

Darrin
2008-12-05, 04:17 PM

Take a break for one session and run Paranoia (XP). This should allow the players to vent a little cathartic frustration.

Next session, say "That was fun. I'd like to go back to our regular D&D game, but personal problems between the players is creating a lot of tension in the group, and I think it could ruin the game. Does anyone want to talk about it, or should we just look down sheepishly at our dice and then kill a bunch of disproportionately wealthy monsters as quickly as possible?"