PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Wizard 3.5 problems from my DM

DareTheRogue
2008-12-05, 02:56 PM
This is for a game I am to be rolling for next week. As of right now I have been brooding on the fact that "in game" for this homemade setting Dwarven Wizards are rare. Well I came up with the, "well I am going to make a Dwarven Wizard... in a party of Elves." But I can not seem to keep up with them cause of the fact that by setting "All races start with a level in there favored class," meaning I shall be taking 1 level of Fighter at first level no matter what. So I am a Fighter 1, Wizard 19... well I do not like this yet, lets change things.... Fighter 1, Wizard 14, Runesmith 5, well now we are a fighting wizard.... wait DM tosses me a ruling that I skipped to piss me off... I must by 20th level have gained at least 5 levels in every class I have taken. Ok now we are Fighter 5, Wizard 10, Runesmith 5, Noooooo its killing me. Let us scratch this and just take 4 classes as I find it to now be just about pissing off my DM as much as possible. I was thinking of going Fighter 5, Wizard 5, Runesmith 5, Something 5....

What should I go for that last 5 levels? So far the suggestions I have been given: Fatespinner (lost another CL), Geometer (cool), Abjurant Champion (What?)

maestro78
2008-12-05, 03:02 PM
Has your DM given you a reason for these seemingly arbitrary rulings? Because if it's not a good one, I would say find another group. One that allows you to make a dwarven wizard how you see fit.

BRC
2008-12-05, 03:04 PM
What I would do, is stick it to your DM. Alot of these "Rules" are completally arbitrary and stupid, not only getting in the way of optomization, but basic character building.

Esentially, unless you want to play a dwarf fighter, elf wizard, ect, the only thing to do is play a Human and pick your favored class as what you want to be. Especially because he's forcing you to take 5 levels in every class you take levels in. A Dwarven Wizard is a perfectally legitimate character that you want to play, it's neither so broken (any more than any other wizard) so as to steal the spotlight, nor is it so subpar as to drag the party down. And most of all, It's the character you want to play. The DM apparently wants you to play a different character.

kamikasei
2008-12-05, 03:04 PM
It sounds like your DM is pretty explicitly trying to enforce playing to your race's type. Maybe you should just go along with that rather than complaining that his houserules are penalizing your attempt to work against him?

(I say this on the assumption that he laid out the houserules before you started on your character, rather than citing new never-mentioned rulings to scupper each build you offer him in turn. If the former, his intent was clear. If the latter, he's being an ass.)

DareTheRogue
2008-12-05, 03:06 PM
Well his 5 level ruling actually goes over with me as I was in the original party it was created for... we had an entire party taking single level dips... the old grab HiPs and never take Shadowdancer again trick... and I am sorry to say at the time I was playing straight Cleric and didn't see a point to it myself cause of the Cleric Godness I was. Otherwise I have never argued with the first level in your favored class... as I have always played humans, but it keeps most everyone in line. we don't use anything but the core races either so after trying to grab a MM to get a different dwarf i lost out to the 5 levels of fighter :-(

Tacoma
2008-12-05, 03:09 PM
And what happens when you're Fighter 1 / Wizard 14 / Runewhatever 4? What will happen when you gain that 19th level? Are you forced to put it on Fighter? Or can you put it on the rune class? And then what about 20th?

What in the world is this DM thinking?

Dang, at least if he wanted you to end up at 20th with a minimum of 5th level in each class he shoudl have said the following:

1: If you have a class with a level below 5, you must raise it to 5th before gaining a new class.
2: You cannot gain any new classes after 15th level.

This at least forces the player to fit the guidelines.

But he's obviously doing this to prevent single-level dipping. But by forcing you to take one level in your favored class he's demanding that everyone automatically single-dip or else play only the favored class.

Weird.

And in this system Elven Rogues are just as rare as Dwarven Wizards, which makes no sense.

EDIT: Oh, and if his intent is to reinforce racial stereotypes, such as "all Elves are magical" and "Dwarves are stout fighters" he's going about it all wrong. You change the racial abilities and favored class to do that. You add race-specific feats to do that. You don't just start piling on arbitrary rules.

DareTheRogue
2008-12-05, 03:11 PM
It is why we actually see Half Elves....

BRC
2008-12-05, 03:12 PM
Elven non-arcane casters will have it the hardest, because if you want to wear armor your first 5 levels are essentially a total waste.

DareTheRogue
2008-12-05, 03:15 PM
Well it is kinda at the point, IF, we make it past lvl16 I will stop gaining spellcasting ability. Ill go 1fighter and 15Caster and then take the last 4 levels of fighter probably...

Telonius
2008-12-05, 03:18 PM
Man, sucks to be anybody who takes a 3-level PrC for that guy.

kamikasei
2008-12-05, 03:20 PM
EDIT: Oh, and if his intent is to reinforce racial stereotypes, such as "all Elves are magical" and "Dwarves are stout fighters" he's going about it all wrong. You change the racial abilities and favored class to do that. You add race-specific feats to do that. You don't just start piling on arbitrary rules.

Or: you talk to your players about the kind of game you want to run so that they can tell you whether they want to play in it and then build their characters for it, instead of coming up with ideas and then lopping off bits and corners to make their square pegs fit in your round holes. There's no need to houserule what can and should be handled on a case-by-case basis once per campaign.

Keld Denar
2008-12-05, 03:44 PM
If it wasn't for the 5 level thing, you could easily do something like Dwarf Fighter1 (use the racial sub), Wizard5/Runesmith5/AbChamp5/EK for the rest. That would net you a fine little dwarven gish, using a Waraxe in both hands, casting buff spells and going to town with 17/20 BAB and 18th level wizard casting. Drop a Wraithstrike and full PA to the wall. Keep yourself well defended with Full Plate Mail, Greater Mirror Image, all 4 Heart of X spell from Complete Mage, Swift Cast Shield (+9 AC) and some other goodies. Baddies will be hard pressed to hurt you, and you'll be all up in their face eating their cherios.

Abjurant Champion is a 5 level PrC in Complete Mage, full BAB, full casting. Its just about the sexest gish PrC ever made. It also has some neato class features that are nothing short of amazing. Take a looksie.

BRC
2008-12-05, 03:57 PM
Basically, the DM has two rules here. On their own, they arn't too bad. The 5-level rule is there to prevent cheesy dipping, and isn't bad. The Favored Class rule is kind of stupid, but it dosn't make the game unplayable. However, when you combine these rules, you get an messed up system that puts meaningless limitations on the types of characters people play. I would say Drop the favored Class first level rule, or at least make the Anti-dip rule not apply to it.

DareTheRogue
2008-12-05, 04:00 PM
I think I am going to run with a Fighter 5,Wizard 5,Runesmith 5,Abjurant Champion 5.... Not dual wielding... but I will probably go with a Dwarven Battleaxe and Large Steel Shield and a Greataxe.

With like a 17 BAB at the end I might have to say that I am happy with it... though I lost 5 levels of CL... I think I can get over it. The entire point of it is that I enjoy the campaigns and I enjoy the players... the DM is good, just trying to save himself from completely overpowered optimization... though I tossed my buddy into a DMM Persist Cleric this time...

Innis Cabal
2008-12-05, 04:00 PM
Pick a class that dosn't have a Favored Class.

BRC
2008-12-05, 04:01 PM
Pick a class that dosn't have a Favored Class.
...Sigged (maybe, probably not)

DareTheRogue
2008-12-05, 04:02 PM
Lulz... in the fact that I WANT TO PLAY A DWARF!!! and Dwarf is defiantly a class...

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-05, 04:03 PM
Are there variant dwarves that have other favored classes?

DareTheRogue
2008-12-05, 04:05 PM
Question change... is there anyway to take Runesmith as a Level 5 dwarven Wizard? I need one thing right now, to have Heavy Armor Prof before I take the PrC....

kamikasei
2008-12-05, 04:08 PM
Eh? If you're required to take your first level in Fighter, you've got your heavy armor proficiency already.

DareTheRogue
2008-12-05, 04:14 PM
But if I didn't take my first level in Fighter... I may get away with that... but still have the 5 level rule

BRC
2008-12-05, 04:17 PM
Lulz... in the fact that I WANT TO PLAY A DWARF!!! and Dwarf is defiantly a class...
in 3.5, Dwarf is a race, Fighter (or wizard) is a class.

Mystral
2008-12-05, 04:29 PM
You don't have to take the first level in a class to get its proficiencys. Just take any level in a class and you'll get every proficiency it gives.

Also, did you really not try to talk to your game master about this issue? It seems that you are trying desperately to worm your way around those rules, rather then changing them.

kamikasei
2008-12-05, 04:33 PM
If you can get out of having to take that fighter level, why not just go straight wizard after that? Building a gish with at least five levels in all your classes sounds like a nightmare.

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-05, 04:36 PM
If you just wanted to show your DM that his house rules are stupid, you could play a Fighter 5/Wizard 5/Monk 5/Paladin 5 and be completely useless. :smallbiggrin:

AslanCross
2008-12-05, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I'd ask the DM to relax his rules on this. Favored class is just a suggestion. Besides, even in the PHB the characters aren't necessarily stuck to the favored class "archetypes." (Well, okay, only Soveliss isn't using his race's favored class and he still goes with the archetype of woodsy elves.)

metagaia
2008-12-05, 04:45 PM
I guess you could play an elven wizard that likes to polymorph into a dwarf :smallamused:

If there is no chance of the DM waiving either of these rules, then why do you want to build a dwarven fighter wizard so badly? Is it to Roleplay as a character concept you really like, or is now just to fustrate the DM by showing how useless his rule is? Especially with the runesmith, this character isn't really a wizard anyway now, so it seems a pointless battle to fight.

Tacoma
2008-12-05, 04:52 PM
This means every Halfling commoner is a rogue. Right?

And every Elven commoner has a spellbook tucked away with a couple first-level spells sitting in it?

Like, even the real hillbilly elves who live in the desert and have to weave their spellbooks out of desert hay.

Or: you talk to your players about the kind of game you want to run so that they can tell you whether they want to play in it and then build their characters for it, instead of coming up with ideas and then lopping off bits and corners to make their square pegs fit in your round holes. There's no need to houserule what can and should be handled on a case-by-case basis once per campaign.

What you are describing as a bad act on the part of the DM is exactly what is built into the game already. The game favors people who want to play Dwarven Fighters and disfavors those who want to play Dwarven Cleric / Rogues. But I assume you're not arguing that the 3E races and classes are inherently square pegs for round holes. Just my idea.

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-05, 04:53 PM
So what does your DM think about humans?

kamikasei
2008-12-05, 05:11 PM
What you are describing as a bad act on the part of the DM is exactly what is built into the game already. The game favors people who want to play Dwarven Fighters and disfavors those who want to play Dwarven Cleric / Rogues. But I assume you're not arguing that the 3E races and classes are inherently square pegs for round holes. Just my idea.

Firstly, yes, I do think the whole notion of favoured classes should be scrapped as a pointless restriction. Multiclassing should be more free and less tied to race.

Secondly, let me outline what I think is bad about the DM's actions here, or rather, about what I'm assuming are the sum and intent of his actions. He wants a game of a particular type - where the characters in play conform to the stereotypes for their race. This does not require any rules to achieve. You use houserules to change things about how the game works, things that come up repeatedly and actually need rules to handle. If you want magic to function differently, or skills to work differently, or whatever - you need rules to describe how these things have changed.

If you want your players to follow certain guidelines when creating their characters, you don't need to make rules about how they can build them. You just need to talk to them. You need to be able to say no, and to say maybe. Creating rules to limit people's options just means the ones who really want a particular concept will build toward it blindfolded and with one hand tied behind their back, and the result will be legal by the rules you've set, ugly and nonfunctional, and still not fit in in the way you wanted it to. So you've aggravated the player and gained a sub-par character, and your original goal of setting integrity or whatever has not been achieved. What was the point?

If DTR's DM doesn't want Dwarven Wizards, he should say: "no Dwarven Wizards". Or: "dwarves don't go in for arcane casting. Divine casters or melee types only, please." (Always better to be flexible - there are enough classes out there that it's easier to sketch out the restrictions to start with and then okay or deny things on a case-by-case basis when the players suggest them than to try to preemptively rule in or out every combination in the game.) "Dwarven Wizards, yeah sure, but you will always be worse than any elven or human wizard, so screw you" is pointless.

Eldariel
2008-12-05, 05:42 PM
How to present favoured classes without screwing up character concepts with tools already in game: Racial Substitution Levels.

DareTheRogue
2008-12-06, 12:01 PM
Ok so all and all I have made this into a mess as much as I can. DM and I are talking constantly about how this will work. We have agreed that the level in fighter is not a necessity, thus the 5 level dip in it is also not a necessity. I still have to have a minimum of 5 in all classes by level 20. Right now I am going to be Wizard 5,_____ 5,Runesmith 5,Abjurant Champion 5. I have to gain Heavy Armor Prof for Runesmith before I can take it, and in the 5 levels of Wizard I can not do it as a Dwarf, and I am being a Dwarf. Any suggestions to get into Runesmith at fifth or a 5/10 level PrC to take me to Runesmith?

Eldariel
2008-12-06, 12:06 PM
Eh, just take Martial Wizard-variant from Unearthed Arcana and pick up the Armor Proficiency-feats if it's that hard.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-12-06, 12:09 PM
Oh, and if his intent is to reinforce racial stereotypes, such as "all Elves are magical" and "Dwarves are stout fighters" he's going about it all wrong. You change the racial abilities and favored class to do that. You add race-specific feats to do that. You don't just start piling on arbitrary rules.

Giving bonus feats for levels in your race's favored class is a nice way to do it, too. Conan d20 gives you a bonus feat at class levels 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20. Of course, Conan d20 encourages multiclassing like crazy (no penalties of any kind), and there's only one caster class that's not very comparable to D&D casters anyway.

DareTheRogue
2008-12-06, 12:09 PM
That one is great!

Starbuck_II
2008-12-06, 12:15 PM
This is for a game I am to be rolling for next week. As of right now I have been brooding on the fact that "in game" for this homemade setting Dwarven Wizards are rare. Well I came up with the, "well I am going to make a Dwarven Wizard... in a party of Elves." But I can not seem to keep up with them cause of the fact that by setting "All races start with a level in there favored class," meaning I shall be taking 1 level of Fighter at first level no matter what. So I am a Fighter 1, Wizard 19... well I do not like this yet, lets change things.... Fighter 1, Wizard 14, Runesmith 5, well now we are a fighting wizard.... wait DM tosses me a ruling that I skipped to piss me off... I must by 20th level have gained at least 5 levels in every class I have taken. Ok now we are Fighter 5, Wizard 10, Runesmith 5, Noooooo its killing me. Let us scratch this and just take 4 classes as I find it to now be just about pissing off my DM as much as possible. I was thinking of going Fighter 5, Wizard 5, Runesmith 5, Something 5....

What should I go for that last 5 levels? So far the suggestions I have been given: Fatespinner (lost another CL), Geometer (cool), Abjurant Champion (What?)

Complete Mage has a Fighter substitution:
Each Fighter lets you casts that much spell level with no ASF.
So if forced to 5 levels, you an cast up to 5th level spells with no ASF while in armor.

DareTheRogue
2008-12-06, 12:28 PM
So Martial Wizard 5/Runesmith 5/Abjurant Champion 5/_____5. I can't go EK because I do not have Martial Weapon Prof with all Martial Weapons, But that would be nice. Any other suggestions?

Yukitsu
2008-12-06, 12:50 PM
Archmage is never a bad choice.

DareTheRogue
2008-12-06, 12:51 PM
Won't be able to meet the feat prereq

Deepblue706
2008-12-06, 12:52 PM
DareTheRogue, you have my sympathy. Your DM seems like a total dork.

Unfortunately for you (although, fortunately for me), I have never been put into such a ridiculous scenario, and I cannot offer very much advice.

Martial Wizard/Runesmith/Abjurant Champion sounds pretty good; although I'm at a loss of where to go from there. But, since this covers 15 levels, perhaps you should just stick with this as the plan, and perhaps decide the rest at a later time?

DareTheRogue
2008-12-06, 12:53 PM
NvM Archmage is in

jcsw
2008-12-06, 01:26 PM
If you want to mitigate the "penalties", play a dream dwarf instead.
(Races of Stone.)

Their favored class is druid. Now take Druid 5/Wizard 5/Arcane Heirophant 10 instead. Done.

DareTheRogue
2008-12-06, 02:02 PM
Fianl call on everything... Normal Dwarf, as we only play Core Races. 5 levels must be taken in each class before 20, unless the class is only 3 levels. The Favored class issues is resolved as not required. The final Build will be a Martial Wizard 5,Runesmith 5,Abjurant Champion 5,Archmage 5. The entire build ends with a CL of 20 and a BAB of 14, Fullplate without Arcane Spell Failure, and general not completely trying to break the game, but still keeping with that DMM Persist Cleric over there (only cause he only knows the concept, not how to use it)

Devils_Advocate
2008-12-06, 04:49 PM
If you have access to the Eberron Campaign Setting book, you might want to consider just going straight Artificer. Artificers are arcane-ish magic-users who work their magic in a very dwarfy way: via magic items. They get proficiency with all simple weapons, light and medium armor, and light and heavy shields right off the bat, and don't have to worry about armor causing spell failure. Being able to make magic items for everyone can also help you to keep from unbalancing the party.

Yeah, I'd ask the DM to relax his rules on this. Favored class is just a suggestion. Besides, even in the PHB the characters aren't necessarily stuck to the favored class "archetypes." (Well, okay, only Soveliss isn't using his race's favored class and he still goes with the archetype of woodsy elves.)
(Actually, in addition to Soveliss, there are Nebin and Eberk. On the other hand, there's only one iconic halfling... Halflings just don't especially match up with any core class other than Rogue.)

This means every Halfling commoner is a rogue. Right?

And every Elven commoner has a spellbook tucked away with a couple first-level spells sitting in it?

Like, even the real hillbilly elves who live in the desert and have to weave their spellbooks out of desert hay.
Or, alternately, there are no commoners in this game, or just no demihuman commoners. E.g. the elves have an advanced magical society, the dwarves have an egalitarian militaristic society, etc. Or maybe that rule only applies to PC-classed characters.

Honestly, requiring first level to be in your favored class isn't all that unreasonable. The rules already assume that all characters of a given race share similar training. Dwarves all learn how to fight against orcs, giants, and goblinoids. All elves learn how to use bows, longswords, and rapiers. All halflings get extra practice throwing and slinging things and climbing and jumping around. This rule just implements that basic concept in a somewhat more extreme fashion.

Requiring a minimum number of levels in each class you take is understandable, too. Classes are front-loaded in ways that encourage dipping, and XP penalties were a very poorly thought out attempt to mitigate this. They wind up actually encouraging dipping in some builds. E.g. an elven Rogue 6/Fighter 2/Duelist takes XP penalties, but an elven Rogue 3/Fighter 2/Ranger 2/Duelist doesn't. Removing XP penalties from prestige classes means that you just have to use them instead of base classes for 1- or 2-level dips.

Further, it can be weird for a character to train for years of background as a Fighter, use his Fighter skillz all the time, and then never advance in that class. It's even weirder how easy it is to multiclass (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0126.html) into a class that takes years of training to get your first level of, if that first level is your first character level. Being able to become a Rogue 1/Wizard 1 at an earlier age than you can become a Wizard 1 is clearly messed up. (Did I mention that you get a bunch more skill points for taking Rogue first?)

Admittedly, if all that's required is 5 levels in a class by level 20, then you can put off leveling in it until you're level 16. Many games don't even get to that level. Further, suddenly leveling up in a class you stopped leveling in 15 levels ago doesn't really make any more sense than having stopped leveling in it permanently, unless you've been advancing in a similar class.

Keld Denar
2008-12-06, 04:57 PM
Unfortunately, you need 2 things. Proficiency with martial weapons, and proficiency with armor. I can't think of anything you could do to get these as a PrC that you'd qualify for as a wiz5. Something to consider might be Duskblade5. This nets you all of your proficencies, free Combat Casting for AbChamp, the single target Arcane Channel ability, 5/5 BAB for those levels, and I think access to 2nd level spells from Duskblade. Unfortunately, this doesn't lend much to a straight wizard. If it doesn't matter much until the end of the build, you could do something like Duskblade3/Wizard3/Runesmith1/AbChamp5/Runesmith4/Wizard2/Duskblade2. That way, you'd only get hit by the 2 dead levels of Duskblade until late.

Otherwise, you could go like Wizard10/AbChamp5/Runesmith5. You have 2 blocks of 5 wiz levels, 5 levels of Runesmith, and 5 levels of AbChamp. Keeps full casting. I'm pretty sure that AbChamp gives heavy armor proficieny, but I may be wrong about that.

Another option for Martial Weapon Proficiency is the Militia regional feat. Its in one of the Dragon Mags, but it gives you all of em, for 1 feat. As a dwarf, this would also give you EWP with both the Waraxe and the Urgosh. As long as you've got it, flaunt it. :)