PDA

View Full Version : I found the perfect gift for my fiancee's dad, but I'm 100% about the site

Karaswanton
2008-12-05, 05:31 PM
http://shop.vendio.com/pressplayhouse/item/955061811/?s=1226748944

Does this look at all fishy to anyone?
They only accept money order, and paypal.
But it looks like pressplayhouse is basically an online store associated with vendio, which I guess is like cafepress?
The thing that worries me a little is that it is on DVD and I can only find it on VHS otherwise.
Now, VHS would probably be fine, but 'd prefer to get DVD if at all possible.
I just don't want to get some DVD that some guy just transferred in his basement. That doesn't look to be the case here, but I want to be more sure.

Plus, it is in DVD-R format, which I don't know if that will play on their DVD player/most DVD players.

I found the movie on VHS on Amazon.
Should I go with VHS from Amazon, or with this DVD?

Syka
2008-12-05, 05:40 PM
I personally wouldn't do it.

Have you tried going to a store and seeing if they could special order it? If that doesn't work, I would just do VHS assuming they have a VHS player. You guys can always transfer it yourself.

Cheers,
Syka

Narmoth
2008-12-05, 05:40 PM
Paypal is pretty safe. If your ordering in the states it should be hard to get away with sending just a dvd-rip.
Still, it looks very much as a dvd-rip.

Karaswanton
2008-12-05, 08:00 PM
Turns out that movie is not available as DVD.

Syka
2008-12-05, 09:21 PM
Turns out that movie is not available as DVD.

At that site? It said that that one was transfered to DVD down at the bottom.

Cheers,
Syka

Geode
2008-12-05, 09:56 PM
If you look at the "About" tab on that site, it is one guy doing the transfers. He says he's been doing this for a while and selling on e-Bay.

Have you tried asking Critics' Choice Video and DVD? http://www.ccvideo.com They can often get things on special order that are not in their catalog. The website says their number is 1-800-993-6357 from 8-7 M-F and 9-5 Sat, Central time US. They once located a couple DVDs for me that I couldn't find anywhere else at the time.

Edit: What's with the Skype autoformatting? I just wrote out the phone number.

Karaswanton
2008-12-06, 12:55 AM
I decided that between it not being on Amazon (where I am doing the rest of my shopping), now knowing if they can play a DVD-R, and not really trusting this site...I'm just going to go with VHS on Amazon.

It wouldn't be any higher quality on DVD anyway, since it is a movie from the 1950's.

And I guess I just meant that it isn't available on a studio quality DVD. It's just some guy burning it onto DVD-R, albeit it at high quality. Not really something I feel OK with.