PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Assessing another character's physical stats.

Crow
2008-12-05, 08:44 PM
What skill or ability check would a character use to try to determine another character's strength, dexterity, or constitution at a glance? Like if they were squaring off to fight or something.

Cathaidan
2008-12-05, 08:52 PM
I would use Sense Motive. It seemed to work OK in the 3.0 Oriental Adventures for judging someone else's skill at iaijitsu dueling.

Eldariel
2008-12-05, 09:10 PM
This use for Sense Motive actually exists in Complete Adventurer. Basically, you make a Sense Motive-check opposed by the opponent's Bluff-check and get information on whether its CR is -4 your level, -1 - -3 your level, equal, +1 - +3 your level or +4 your level, the accuracy of the information depending on by how much you exceed opponent's Bluff-check (beating your opponent's check gives you two of the categories, beating it by 10 or more gives you the exact category).

If you fail by a bit, you gain no info, and if you fail by 5 or more, you may gain false information. It's a very handy use; whenever we're entering in a diplomatic sitiuation, I size up the opposition (one of the prime reasons I love Sense Motive maxed; I hate it when opponents are able to lie to me), and sometimes, when playing a melee character, may use Surprise Round (or just observing round before combat) for it. It's a Standard Action and requires being within 30' though. It's also a great reason for Rogues to get Sense Motive. A lot of it.