PDA

View Full Version : Actions [2e ADND]

Ponce
2008-12-05, 09:31 PM
I have a question regarding actions in ADND 2e. What is the best way for a dwarf cleric normally armed with a shield and some sort of weapon to switch between casting spells and melee? Or turning undead and melee? You need both hands free in the case of casting spells, but is it possible to get off a spell then be ready with your shield and axe and be able to attack on the next round? In fact, exactly when can you draw your shield and weapon? How long does it take? The PHB says drawing a weapon can be done freely in addition to another action... does that include shields as well? Can you do both in the same round?

Matthew
2008-12-05, 10:15 PM
Rounds are a minute long in the default AD&D 2e rules. You can pretty much change weapons at will, but you can only take one basic action in the round . Given that your game master doesn't rule differently, there should be no problem. There was a [I]Sage Advice once that suggested drawing a weapon should take one segment. In AD&D 2e terms that would mean a +1 penalty to initiative, which would probably be reasonable.

Now if you are talking about Combat & Tactics where rounds become 12-15 seconds, that's a little trickier, as they start defining lots of different actions in a manner much closer to D20/3e.

Tacoma
2008-12-06, 03:47 PM
We always played it that dropping a weapon is free, changing weapons counts as your action (you can still move), but that just drawing a weapon or sheathing it is equivalent to one attack. Which means for most people it's your action but for Warrior classes with multiple attacks you could still attack after drawing.

That said, we never worried about casting with things in your hands. If you're a magic-user with a staff, you can still cast. If you're a cleric and you have a mace and shield you can still cast. Have your holy symbol built into your weapon for turning.

I guess we just didn't make a big deal out of it. But according to the rules you'd have to put your weapon and shield away on one round, then next round cast, then pull out your weapon and shield next round. But for a cleric healing in the middle of the fight that kind of completely sucks.

LibraryOgre
2008-12-06, 03:53 PM
We always played it that dropping a weapon is free, changing weapons counts as your action (you can still move), but that just drawing a weapon or sheathing it is equivalent to one attack. Which means for most people it's your action but for Warrior classes with multiple attacks you could still attack after drawing.

That said, we never worried about casting with things in your hands. If you're a magic-user with a staff, you can still cast. If you're a cleric and you have a mace and shield you can still cast. Have your holy symbol built into your weapon for turning.

I guess we just didn't make a big deal out of it. But according to the rules you'd have to put your weapon and shield away on one round, then next round cast, then pull out your weapon and shield next round. But for a cleric healing in the middle of the fight that kind of completely sucks.

My clerics would strap their maces to their wrists, allowing them to let go, cast, and then pick it up with not much more than a gesture.

However, I'll point out that the PH (in the Combat section, under What You Can Do In One Round) lists changing weapons as an action you can take without interfering with making an attack.

Kurald Galain
2008-12-06, 03:59 PM
I'd rule that (a) readying a shield takes somewhat longer than readying a weapon, but (b) you can strap smaller shields to your arm so they protect you but still let you use your hand.

To my recollection, many DMs houserule combat rounds to five or six seconds, because one action a minute is rather silly. Either way, I'd say take a +1 or +2 to initiative for drawing or sheathing a weapon.

Matthew
2008-12-06, 05:17 PM

I think a lot of people probably ruled that way under the "1 Round = 1 Action" paradigm, and probably on the basis that "recovering a dropped weapon" is listed as an action. As Mark points out, though, drawing a weapon is not considered an action. The action example preceding the "What can you do in one round?" section also suggests that a character can perform a basic action in the round without compromising the weapons he is wielding. The example basic actions listed are:

• Cast one spell (if the casting time is one round or less)
• Drink a potion
• Light a torch
• Use a magical item
• Move to the limit of his movement rate
• Attempt to open a stuck or secret door
• Bind a character's wounds
• Search a body
• Hammer in a spike
• Recover a dropped weapon

The example actions that do not interfere with these are:

• Shout warnings, brief instructions, or demands for surrender, but not conversations where a reply is expected.
• Change weapons by dropping one and drawing another.
• Drop excess equipment, such as backpacks, lanterns, or torches.

The combat example is this:

Imagine the simple act of imbibing a healing potion. First, a character decides to drink the potion before retiring for the night. All he has to do is get it out of his backpack,uncork it, and drink the contents. No problem.

Now imagine the same thing in the middle of a fight. The potion is safely stowed in the character's backpack. First, he takes stock of the situation to see if anyone else can get the potion out for him, but, not surprisingly, everyone is rather busy. So, sword in one hand, he shrugs one strap of the pack off his shoulder. Then, just as two orcs leap toward him, the other strap threatens to slip down, entangling his sword arm. Already the loose strap keeps him from fully using his shield.

Holding the shield as best as possible in front of him, he scrambles backward to avoid the monsters' first wild swings. He gets pushed back a few more feet when a companion shoulders past to block their advance. His companion bought him a little time, so he kneels, lays down his sword, and slips the backpack all the way off. Hearing a wild cry, he instinctively swings his shield up just in time to ward off a glancing blow.

Rummaging through the pack, he finally finds the potion, pulls it out, and, huddling behind his shield, works the cork free. Just then there is a flash of flame all around him--a fireball! He grits his teeth against the heat, shock, and pain and tries to remember not to crush or spill the potion vial. Biting back the pain of the flames, he is relieved to see the potion is still intact.

Quickly, he gulps it down, reclaims his sword, kicks his backpack out of the way, and runs back up to the front line. In game terms, the character withdrew, was missed by one attacker, made a successful saving throw vs. spell (from the fireball), drank a potion, and was ready for combat the next round.

All of the action takes place in one round, and the various actions can be understood as:

Withdraw (Movement for the Round)
Open pack and drink potion (Basic Action)

Although the narrative assumes that he must have placed his weapons on the ground at some point to do this, there are no visible repercussions for using them in the following round.

I'd rule that (a) readying a shield takes somewhat longer than readying a weapon, but (b) you can strap smaller shields to your arm so they protect you but still let you use your hand.

To my recollection, many DMs houserule combat rounds to five or six seconds, because one action a minute is rather silly. Either way, I'd say take a +1 or +2 to initiative for drawing or sheathing a weapon.

I agree, and I think that the events described above would be entirely suitable to a six second combat round, probably considerably moreso than a sixty second round.

Tacoma
2008-12-06, 05:23 PM
The smaller shield idea is great if your DM isn't using the silly rules from Players Option where smaller shields can be used only against one opponent per round.

Otherwise use a buckler that keeps your hand free and strap 3-5 potions to the inside so they're ready at hand.

Also, a lanyard is a strap on your weapon's handle that hangs on your wrist. So if you're disarmed or you drop your weapon it stays with you. Someone would have to disarm and then attack the lanyard.

Matthew
2008-12-06, 05:33 PM
The smaller shield idea is great if your DM isn't using the silly rules from Players Option where smaller shields can be used only against one opponent per round.

Those are actually default rules (Bucklers, 1 frontal attack per round, Small Shields, 2 frontal attacks per round). You can find them in the PHB under the description of shields in the equipment section. For whatever it is worth, I do not use them...