PDA

View Full Version : Sovereign Dragonfly and Azure Greathawk [Creatures]

Icewalker
2008-12-06, 01:18 AM
http://www.waterfordwildlife.com/emperor_egg_laying.Clashmore%200706.%20MalArn.jpg

Sovereign Dragonfly
Medium Vermin
HD 8d8+8 (52 HP)
Speed Fly (Perfect) 50 ft. (10 squares)
Init: +5
AC 17; touch 15; flat-footed 12
(+4 Natural, +5 Dex)
BAB/Grp +6/+9
Attack Bite +9 (1d6+3)
Full-Attack Bite +9 (1d6+3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Devour
Special Qualities Vermin Traits, Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves Fort +8 Ref +7 Will +1
Abilities Str 16, Dex 20, Con 15, Int -, Wis 9, Cha 15
Skills
Feats
Environment Swamp
Organization Solitary, Mating Pair
Challenge Rating 4
Treasure Double gems
Alignment Always Neutral

The massive insect is quite a sight to behold. Massive glistening wings and striking shades of green, combined with the gigantic eyes...you can't tell whether it is horrifying or beautiful. Maybe both.

Also known simply as Dire Dragonflies, or, to the more scientific, Dire Emperor Dragonflies, these insects are extremely rare. They live only in massive deep swamps where they can fit into the environment, and despite their cloistered surroundings, they need a good amount of open space to maneuver, as they are quite large.
The insects are extremely territorial, and have been known to attack any who wander into their territory. They do not often hunt creatures as large as humans for food, but can if necessary, as records show.

Devour (Ex): When grappling, a Sovereign Dragonfly may make bite attacks at a +4 to hit, instead of the normal -4 penalty for grappling.

[hr]

http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/photos/aecaem1.jpg

Azure Greathawk
Medium Vermin
HD 12d8 (90 HP)
Speed Fly (Perfect) 50 ft. (10 squares)
Init: +6
AC 22; touch 16; flat-footed 16
(Dex +6, Natural +6)
BAB/Grp +9/+13
Attack Bite +13 (1d6+4+1d6 cold)
Full-Attack Bite +13 (1d6+4+1d6 cold)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Devour
Special Qualities Freezing Grip, Winter Fangs, Vermin Traits, Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to cold
Saves Fort +11 Ref +10 Will +5
Abilities Str 18, Dex 22, Con 17, Int -, Wis 13, Cha 17
Skills
Feats
Environment Mountains, usually near frozen lakes
Organization Solitary, Mating Pair
Challenge Rating 7
Treasure Double gems
Alignment Always Neutral

You can feel the cold merely by looking at it. The huge dragonfly is speckled with startlingly blue spots, and glimmering translucent wings with a slight blue tinge to them.

Azure Greathawks are known, possibly erroneously, as Dire Azure Hawkers, are a rare creature, generally found prowling their mountain territory and hunting food. Their magical icy influence gives some implication of magical tampering by some wild frost focused wizard, or it could by any number of other events.

Devour (Ex): When grappling, an Azure Greathawk may make bite attacks at a +4 to hit, instead of the normal -4 penalty for grappling.

Freezing Grip (Su): When grappling, Azure Greathawks deal 1d4 cold damage per round to the grappled target.

Winter Fangs (Su): Azure Greathawks' bite attack is treated as if it had the Icy Burst enchantment on it, dealing an additional 1d6 cold damage on attacks, and a further 1d10 cold damage on a successful critical hit.

[hr]
Pictures not to scale :smalltongue:

Looked around for some random inspiration again because I felt like I wasn't doing enough random homebrew. I've been working on my campaign...

Reath
2008-12-06, 01:23 AM
... I rather dislike that Macbeth speech.

SilentNight
2008-12-06, 01:26 AM
Looks good, not much else to say. Although the dragonfly may be a little too tough for a CR 4. (In terms of HP)