PDA

View Full Version : Things you're able to do but shouldn't be able to.

Jayngfet
2008-12-06, 01:58 AM
Well, after discussing it over with my DM on the side, he's letting me make a Frankensteins monster(who will also be an epic mage) and a Humongous Mecha(of course, he's saying it'll take time to get both together, so I can't cuse either right now).

Keep in mind this is a demonata roleplay, in a universe where niether of thse things are present.

So I was wondering, what kind of somewhat broken, absurd, or bizzare things have the members of the playground made.

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-06, 02:39 AM
A bard who rickrolls the enemy

Kris Strife
2008-12-06, 03:12 AM
A paladin who gets a free smite attempt on said bard.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-12-06, 03:46 AM
Not mine, but in a 4E game that I sat in on, the Warlord had both Heavy Blade Opportunity and Deadly Axe, despite only having DEX 10 and CON 11.

The best part? He used both with his warhammer.

JeminiZero
2008-12-06, 03:57 AM
A bard who rickrolls the enemy

Thats nothing, warlocks do it all the time (http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/144).

newbDM
2008-12-06, 04:33 AM

I'm disappointed. I expected to actually be rick rolled there.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-12-06, 05:17 AM
I'm disappointed. I expected to actually be rick rolled there.

Oh cruel irony.

Paramour Pink
2008-12-06, 05:21 AM
Make a Wizard.

Make a Factotum.

Make a Tome of Battle melee class.

I think that covers everything I've heard is on the upper ends of power.

Adumbration
2008-12-06, 05:27 AM

You forgot to link this one too. (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AYmeDvwF07c&feature=related)

mabriss lethe
2008-12-06, 03:34 PM
create Robocop using the trap rules....

While it is implied, traps don't even need to limited to an actual object. so you could, while truly abusing the rules as intended, trap a living being.

4 first level spells (5 counting alarm for a touch trigger if you so choose.)

one feat

2000gp

160xp.

With this outlay, you can create a character with what is effectively a permanent +8 AC from Mage armor and Shield +20 on all attack rolls from True strike and a +30 ft enhancement to speed from Expeditious Retreat.

And I know, that is a relatively tame bit of trap abuse.

Kizara
2008-12-07, 04:50 AM
Well, after discussing it over with my DM on the side, he's letting me make a Frankensteins monster(who will also be an epic mage) and a Humongous Mecha(of course, he's saying it'll take time to get both together, so I can't cuse either right now).

Keep in mind this is a demonata roleplay, in a universe where niether of thse things are present.

So I was wondering, what kind of somewhat broken, absurd, or bizzare things have the members of the playground made.

I had an artificer that made various lightning bolt staff-guns that then raised their victums as zombies.

I dunno, I found my "zombie ray guns" pretty amusing.

Then I made a gattling gun using Gust of Wind and Beads of Force. That thing was sweet.

Finally, a made a jet fighter (using the SBGB and a bunch of wonderous arcitechture) that permently flew in the eye of its own hurricane, shot disintegrate rays, had oriridium prismatic walls for its hull, gave its pilot true sight, etc etc. Campaign ended before I could finish making it nukes and crusie missiles.

Talic
2008-12-07, 05:04 AM
Hmm... The hulking hurler that can destroy said mecha... with a rock.

The Were-sperm whale. That's it. Great Melville Novels with legs and claw attacks... Ahhh.

The unkillable troll.

Yup, Half-red dragon voidmind troll. Get a permanent Protection from X on it so it won't be controlled and there.

Ascension
2008-12-07, 05:22 AM
Yup, Half-red dragon voidmind troll. Get a permanent Protection from X on it so it won't be controlled and there.

I thought the invincible troll build was half-red dragon, half-(clay?) golem and lernean(sp?)?

Tengu_temp
2008-12-07, 05:45 AM
Have fun, according to the way some people DM/play their games. :tongue:

Make a Wizard.

Make a Factotum.

Artificer. Cleric. Druid. Beguiler. Archivist. Even Sorcerer, Psion, Wu-Jen and Shugenja are more broken than ToB classes and Factotum.

The Were-sperm whale. That's it. Great Melville Novels with legs and claw attacks... Ahhh.

Dood, that's not "shouldn't be able to" material, that's awesome on a stick!

Talic
2008-12-07, 05:46 AM
I thought the invincible troll build was half-red dragon, half-(clay?) golem and lernean(sp?)?

That can be done for true immunity, but you still have some instant death effects.

Morty
2008-12-07, 08:42 AM
I once thought that Spell Penetration adds +2 to my spells' saving throw DC. I noticed that I'm wrong after I had won several fights because the saving throws against my Sleep spell were too hard for the enemies. My DM considered making me eat my character sheet.

mindblank19
2008-12-07, 10:05 AM
Only works in v4, but still:

Mage hand can lift up to 20 pounds
A greatsword weighs less than said 20 pounds
Theoretically, you could make nonproficient greatsword attacks with a mage hand spell
Which makes dancing weapons unbelievably expensive since you could just do that to a +5 greatsword... :smallbiggrin:

Monstrodoom
2008-12-07, 10:20 AM
My DM challenged me to make the most ridiculous PC I could.

I forgot the end ECL, but I rolled a half-dragon, half-giant grig, minned out on height, maximal strength to start. The dragon half was a peppermint dragon, so its minty fresh breath weapon did half cold, half holy damage.

I was shooting for Awesome Blow.. whilst being a little under a foot tall.

Oh, and she was a paladin of freedom. mad saves, mad strength, mad charisma, the Stomp power operating off of Cha, Awesome Blow, and smitage.

Jack_Simth
2008-12-07, 10:45 AM

While it is implied, traps don't even need to limited to an actual object. so you could, while truly abusing the rules as intended, trap a living being.

one feat

2000gp

160xp.

With this outlay, you can create a character with what is effectively a permanent +8 AC from Mage armor and Shield +20 on all attack rolls from True strike and a +30 ft enhancement to speed from Expeditious Retreat.

Don't forget Cure Light Wounds (or an early Repair line spell) for healing!

But yeah, getting ten buffs with one free action, at-will, gets somewhat busted.

Which reminds me... load up on Psionic Tattoos (to the max you're permitted to carry on your skin), and give one to your familiar (or Psicrystal). By the book, when your familiar one more to you, they all go off. That's a lot of buffing all at once, although it's crazy-expensive.

mabriss lethe
2008-12-07, 11:37 AM
Don't forget Cure Light Wounds (or an early Repair line spell) for healing!

I didn't forget, I was just pulling from the wiz/sorc spell list when I put it together.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-12-07, 01:58 PM
auto-resetting trap of Circle of Mass Heal. Party gets healed, undead goes boom. All day long.

Magical Trap (Circle of Healing) Audio trigger (whenever owner says a specific word or phrase), automatic reset (instantly). Cost 500 * Caster Level (17) * Spell Level (9) = 76,500 gp cost.

Even better, for infinite healing, do this with Cure Light

500*1*1=500 GP. For less than the cost of a Wand of Cure Light Wounds, you can have an unlimited number of Cure Light Wounds from an automatically resetting trap.

Yukitsu
2008-12-07, 02:18 PM
True create a corpse.

Polymorph any object the corpse into a living being.

Knife the living being.

Dismiss polymorph any object.

Raise dead.

Immutep
2008-12-07, 04:02 PM
I'm glad i don't DM for any of you guys :smalleek: But if you want nastily hard how about half fiend half dragon half elf with levels in assassin and blackguard?

Yukitsu
2008-12-07, 04:08 PM
Why is that hard? LA makes it's death attack way too weak if you also want blackguard for some reason. Those templates go better on an orc, who is also a barbarian.

mostlyharmful
2008-12-07, 04:17 PM
Plus their HP total will be less than the 8 con wizard after stat boosters and their casting will be allways sucktastic, their BAB will live in sucksville and their skill points/totals will suck (no skill monkey for you). +7 LA effectively makes an unplayable PC with anything close to a CR balanced group.

Agrippa
2008-12-07, 04:32 PM
Dood, that's not "shouldn't be able to" material, that's awesome on a stick!

Um, whales don't have claws. Only slam attacks (tail and ramming). That would make contracting cetusthropy damn near impossible.

hamishspence
2008-12-07, 04:36 PM
They do have jaws (and wolves don't claw much, so werewolf lycanthropy would generally be contracted via bite, if character was attacked by one in wolf form)

There is a species descended from orca lycanthropes (Medium- a bit smaller than you would expect, given orcas are Huge) in Stormwrack. Probably are to werewhales what Shifters are to werewolves.

I think Cachalot whales also have a bite. Though true, baleen whales really ought not have a werebeast variant- it does say most werebeasts are from aggressive, predatory, or at least omnivorous animals.

Pie Guy
2008-12-07, 04:40 PM
Ow, my brain hurts I thought of a way.:smalleek:

Ascension
2008-12-07, 04:47 PM
Though true, baleen whales really ought not have a werebeast variant- it does say most werebeasts are from aggressive, predatory, or at least omnivorous animals.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Werewhale krill.

_Puppetmaster_
2008-12-07, 04:56 PM
There is the fact that a halfling can be a wererat swarm, turning into a rat swarm.

Also, the Craft rules let a person with 1 rank in Craft (weaponsmith) create an infinite amount of clubs or quarterstaffs in 0 seconds.

Riverine mixed with fabricate lets a person create an invincible wall .00000001 x -10^infinity inches thick, with the size of the wall increasing to HUGE proportions...

hamishspence
2008-12-07, 04:59 PM
nice- problem is- were-anything has to be a Giant or Humanoid of 1 size smaller or larger than the werebeast.

half-trolls are Giants, and fiendish animals and vermin qualify for half-troll.

So a fiendish Half-troll Giant squid could be also a were-whale.

(EDIT: Strictly- only vermin need Fiendish to qualify- the Brine Swimmer from Sandstorm is closest thing to a Giant Krill in the game- Large Shrimp. Upgrade it to Huge- move it to the sea, give it those two templates, and you have a potential Werewhale)

SurlySeraph
2008-12-07, 05:23 PM
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Werewhale krill.

You, sir, have won the Internet.

hamishspence
2008-12-07, 05:25 PM
Yup- to the extent that on seeing it, I promptly decided to think of ways it could be done by rules.

The Giant depicted the concept best in Dragon- Vampiric half-dragon half troll lycanthropic fiendish Snail! (Tremble at his illogical glory.)

Aether
2008-12-07, 09:15 PM

one feat

2000gp

160xp.

Out of curiosity, how are you able to do that? Where are the rules for magical traps, and how did you put things together such that you'd have all of that?

I wouldn't be able to use it, but I'm still curious.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-07, 11:51 PM
Out of curiosity, how are you able to do that? Where are the rules for magical traps, and how did you put things together such that you'd have all of that?

I wouldn't be able to use it, but I'm still curious.DMG and here (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/traps.htm).

mabriss lethe
2008-12-08, 01:10 AM

I wouldn't be able to use it, but I'm still curious

A continuously resetting magical trap requires Craft Wonderous Object and costs 500gpXspell levelXcaster level. and 40Exp Xspell levelXcasster level. All of those spells involved are 1st level spells. So that's where the totals come from.

Now the real kicker here is that, while implied by the examples, the rules never specify several things. 1. Detrimental spells only. Becasue of this, you can create resetting buff and healing traps. 2. the size or form a trap must take. So accordingly, you could make a very small, portable magic trap. 3. It also makes no mention of limiting your traps to object form, so technically you could trap a living being...including yourself. Now most DMs should and would take one look at this and smack you in the head with a rolled up newspaper if you attempted it, but that's not what this thread is all about.

woodenbandman
2008-12-08, 08:55 AM
Make a Wizard.

Make a Factotum.

Wizard is too powerful, but a Factotum's utility is limited to imitating other classes fairly well but not spectacularly and going nova with many bought magical items.

Tome of Battle isn't **** compared to a Druid (Yeah, I'm the umpteen billionth level summoner who can punch things better than a monk with my dire polar bear form of doom, and I can turn into anything at any time ever.) or a Cleric(Yeah, I'm the umpteenth level healer who can at any time turn huge and put your party fighter to shame while summoning solars and reworking reality to my own purpose). Or a wizard: Yeah, I can turn into a druid, or a cleric, or a dragon, all while casting spells that kill you no matter what.

What does a factotum have? Extra scrolls per round. Whee.

Moriato
2008-12-08, 12:01 PM
True create a corpse.

Polymorph any object the corpse into a living being.

Knife the living being.

Dismiss polymorph any object.

Raise dead.

I don't get it? Why not just cast raise dead on the corpse you already have? What's the polymorph supposed to accomplish?

Immutep
2008-12-08, 01:59 PM
Plus their HP total will be less than the 8 con wizard after stat boosters and their casting will be allways sucktastic, their BAB will live in sucksville and their skill points/totals will suck (no skill monkey for you). +7 LA effectively makes an unplayable PC with anything close to a CR balanced group.

Actually, once you get past the early levels this combination will see to it that hit points will be off the chart due to all the bonuses to constitution, also all the resistances and immunities will reduce possible damage. the BAB might not be as high as it could but the strenght bonus and sneak attack benefits will much more than make up for this and are you forgetting that per hit dice the half fiend side of things adds spell like abilities? easily making it compareable to any secondary caster. So yeah, you'll suffer early on but by the time your at say ECL 18, you'll be nails!

The Glyphstone
2008-12-08, 02:19 PM
I don't get it? Why not just cast raise dead on the corpse you already have? What's the polymorph supposed to accomplish?

Because the corpse you created is just a corpse, it doesn't have any personality or soul attached to it? technically, it can't be Raised, as it was never alive in the first place.

Where the soul comes from when you Polymorph it, I have no idea.

Tacoma
2008-12-08, 02:48 PM
A virus attacks you. The virus is nothing special, but is infected with lycanthropy. That is, it had previously infected a human who was a were-blue whale.

This virus then is a creature who can change into a whale.

The virus propagates inside you until there are 1,000 organisms. They time it right and shapeshift all at once.

You detonate in a cloud of fine red mist, no save, regardless of HP or buffs or DR or AC.

One round later the virii shapeshift back and float on the breeze to their next victim ...

NEO|Phyte
2008-12-08, 02:49 PM
A virus attacks you. The virus is nothing special, but is infected with lycanthropy. That is, it had previously infected a human who was a were-blue whale.

This virus then is a creature who can change into a whale.

The virus propagates inside you until there are 1,000 organisms. They time it right and shapeshift all at once.

You detonate in a cloud of fine red mist, no save, regardless of HP or buffs or DR or AC.

One round later the virii shapeshift back and float on the breeze to their next victim ...
Luckily, Virii are neither humanoids NOR giants, and even if they were, they are not within 1 size category of a blue whale.

Haven
2008-12-08, 04:19 PM
...acid breathing shark?

Tacoma
2008-12-08, 04:31 PM
Luckily, Virii are neither humanoids NOR giants, and even if they were, they are not within 1 size category of a blue whale.

You appear to be quoting rules from some type of 3E D&D. The OP made no such distinction in his question. In 2E your lycanthropic joy was not limited to humanoids and big humanoids.

kopout
2008-12-08, 04:36 PM
. Now most DMs should and would take one look at this and smack you in the head with a rolled up newspaper if you attempted it.
I bet Tippy wouldn't:smallbiggrin:

KeresM
2008-12-08, 09:46 PM
In 2nd addition there was a bard kit that stated 'when you die, you survive just long enough to recite a poem before expiring.'

One of my group made such a character, and played him fairly recklessly. When the inevitable happened, he reached into his backpack and pulled out a copy of the Iliad.

DnD does lend itself to creative abuses.

And yes, we did beat him soundly with his character sheet.

Moriato
2008-12-11, 06:32 PM
Because the corpse you created is just a corpse, it doesn't have any personality or soul attached to it? technically, it can't be Raised, as it was never alive in the first place.

Where the soul comes from when you Polymorph it, I have no idea.

OHHH, the create-a-corpse thing is a spell or something? I thought he was just decribing what he was doing.

Tacoma
2008-12-11, 06:34 PM
Creative Abuse is the little-known Rule -34.

(That's "negative 34")

Yukitsu
2008-12-11, 06:39 PM

It says "restore to life" which means they must have been alive at some point in time. When they are polymorphed into themselves but alive, they are alive. Then they are dead, and thus a target for the spell. As for the soul, I have no idea.

Another:

Making money by crafting a fortress that costs -10% GP.

My DM recently commented that I'm a disgusting optimizer, but at least I follow the game rules.