PDA

View Full Version : After months I learned to use Fractal Mapper. What would I need to know to use CC3?

celestialkin
2008-12-06, 03:05 AM
Hello again.

A while ago I got some help here concerning mapping software, so I figured I'd see if any of the mappers are still around.

After a few months of trying to get my head around CC3 I gave up. Then I got the newest Fractal Mapper, and using it's tutorial (which was MUCH better than the CC3 one) I was eventually able to learn how to use it. I have since made my homebrewed world's map, and using the feature which lets one crop a small section to work on I am about 1/4 done with my first continent.

The problem with FF is that the quality of the art seems pretty low to me, especially comparing it to the limited examples I have seen of CC3 material. However, I liked the fact that I was actually able to learn Fractal Mapper.

I still have CC3 on my Macbook, so now I am thinking that since I learned FF I might be able to transfer that knowledge to using CC3. Would this be the case at all?

If so, what more would I need to learn to use CC3?

And do you guys know of any better learning tutorials than the CC3 Essentials document I got with CC3? Again, could not learn a thing from that.

Also, I believe I remember reading way back that one could transfer FF maps into CC3. Is this true? If so, would I be able to keep my world map (which I worked really hard on) and what I have done so far of my first continent? I do not want to start all over. And if I can, could I continue to crop sections of my world map, then convert them over to CC3?

Any advice or help would be extremely appreciated!

Lord Herman
2008-12-16, 04:31 AM
I was looking for a demo version of CC3 when I found these demo videos (http://www.profantasy.com/community/cc3_tutorials.asp). They explain the basics of CC3 mapping.

Now for a question of my own. I've been considering buying CC3, but I'm not sure if it's the right mapping software for me. I want to make overland maps and city maps (which I know CC3 can do), but I also want to make dungeon maps and combat grids. Is CC3 any good for making those, or would I be better off using Dundjinni?

potatocubed
2008-12-16, 04:43 AM
You can technically use CC3 for dungeons and interior maps, but a) you have to source all the icons and things from somewhere else (possibly the official add-on Dungeon Designer) and b) it doesn't make CC3 any easier to use. If I were you, I'd stick to Dundjinni if you know it, or pick up Autorealm if you're looking for something new.