PDA

View Full Version : [MONSTER] The 4 Horsemen of Poor Roleplaying

alec
2005-09-09, 01:54 AM
These abominations were acidently created in a bizare discharge of magic, when an emensly powerful, and previously very lucky wizard, who seemed favored by the gods, and who somehow knew everything about whatever he fought, overestimated his power, and was destryed. From the cloud of dust and ash from his death, rode the four, on steeds of almost pure magic.
There are (naturaly) 4 Horsemen of Poor Roleplaying. They are:
Muchkinism
Loaded Dice
Favoratism
Out of Character Knowlege
The four are always found together, where there is one, the others are almost sure to be near.

Loaded Dice
Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 13d8+
Initiative:
Speed: 30 ft
Armour Class:
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/
Attack: Luck Blade +14
Full Attack: Luck Blade +14/+8
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: "Lucky"
Saves:
Abilities:Str 16, Dex 31, Con 31, Int 20, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills:
Feats:
Environment: Anywhere
Organization: Horsemen (1 Loaded Dice, 1 Munchkinism, 1 Favoratism, 1 Out of Character Knowlege)
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: Standard
Alignment:Always Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Dragonmuncher
2005-09-26, 06:16 PM
This could be very amusing, I hope you finish writing it up!

They wouldn't all have to be grouped together, btw. These seem like the perfect monsters to sic on a player who is guilty of one of these sins... and it's entirely possible to be guilty of one but not the others.

Rykounagin
2005-09-30, 12:32 AM
I think 31 con is a bit high for a CR 13 enemy, considering it's other abilities....

LE4dGOLEM
2005-12-02, 01:31 PM
Possibly this could be turned into the Seven Deadly Sins of Roleplaying, incarnate as well?

Suggestions for 3 more monsters?

Macharion
2005-12-03, 08:12 PM
How about absent-mindedness?
"I am the horseman of... umm... what was it again?"

Traveling_Angel
2006-01-15, 01:59 AM
How about absent-mindedness?
"I am the horseman of... umm... what was it again?"

Awesome
;D

Skyserpent
2006-01-15, 03:04 AM
Horseman of Clich'es!

I'm a powerful swordsman following in the footsteps of my father who dissapeared mysteriously!

I'm a __________________In a dark hooded cloak that obscures my features

I'm a Drow with purple eyes and twin scimitars...

I'm an elvish archer.

I'm a ninja

Possibly a doppleganger who is low on ideas...

Gamebird
2006-01-17, 02:53 PM
Sins/Horsemen:

Rules Lawyering
Kibitzing
Tangents (ie, non-game related conversations, like interrupting the game to discuss the implications of Ariel Sharon's recent stroke)

jedeyemaster
2006-01-23, 05:44 PM
lol this is great, how about...

The Horseman of Complaining! ;D

Skyserpent
2006-01-24, 02:54 AM
What's Kibitzing?

tlelaxue
2006-01-28, 12:13 AM
The worst sin of all! Meta gaming!

Dr._Kaboom
2006-01-28, 07:48 PM
" Sins/Horsemen:

Rules Lawyering
Kibitzing
Tangents (ie, non-game related conversations, like interrupting the game to discuss the implications of Ariel Sharon's recent stroke)"

They'd each need a unique supernatural ability. For RL, "Dispel Creativity" at will, Kibitzing "Dominate Attention" once per round, and for Tangents the deadly "Flurry of Non Sequitors". Woe betide the adventurer who follishly believes they can imitate these fearsome talents; they will be met only with betrayal.

Another idea: Monsters of Bad DMing. Railroading, Predictability, Overelaborate Descriptions, etc? Let's weigh in on the other side!

gregory_carslaw
2006-01-29, 12:37 AM
Can I try one?

Out of Character Knowladge
Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 3D8+6
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30' (or as mount)
Armour Class: 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +2 / +2
Attack: Shortsword +3 (1D6)
Full Attack: Ditto
Space/Reach: 5' 5' 5'
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Prescience (aka reading DMs notes, overhearing planning sessions, reading char sheets)
Saves: FORT + 3 REF + 4 WILL - 1
Abilities:Str 12, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 17, Wis 7 , Cha 18
Skills: Diplomacy,Bluff,Hide,MS,SoH&tumble @ 6 ranks
Feats: Two (See below)
Environment: Anywhere
Organization: Horsemen
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: See below
Alignment:Always Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Out of character knowladge (OOCK) is by far the physically weakest of the horsemen. However his prescience power allows him to know his targets plans and all information pertaining to his environment. In the event that this information changes he is instantly aware of the new situation. Rather than engage his targets directly he will ruin any action his target attempts to take to the best of his ability, without direct confrountation. Often this is acheived by making sure the wrong people will show up at the wrong time, warning his targets enemies of his actions etc. OOCK gets a +20 circumstance modifier to any diplomacy or bluff attempts for this purpose, on account of knowing all other characters exact goals and motivations.

Equally OOCK will always have selected the best feats, equipment and poison to defeat his intended target. Invariably carrying the foils to their attacks and attacks which target their weakest saving throw.

That any good? I figured there's no reason for out of character knowladge to have any direct clout, it never does. I can imagine with the right DM this could be an absolute nightmare, I've seen an epic level party taken apart by CR1 monsters capitalising on their weaknesses. (Though admittedly they were particularly poor players.)

Vaynor
2006-02-08, 02:56 AM
Possibly a doppleganger who is low on ideas...

You spelled Doppelganger wrong...

Skyserpent
2006-02-08, 03:20 PM
I'm so ashamed
:-[

Also, no has explained Kibitzing to me

BotlGnomz
2006-02-08, 04:25 PM
In chess/go/other such games, kibitzing is when someone not involved in the game makes a comment about the current game situation that imparts strategic information to the players.
"If I were in this situation, I'd play N-d6"
"If he had played 10-3 last turn, he could kill those stones"
Or, in D&D:
"That monster is vulnerable to acid!"

Skyserpent
2006-02-08, 05:52 PM
Ah I love Go!

gregory_carslaw
2006-02-08, 08:20 PM
The latest windows security update seems to have blocked my online go playing.

I do like it though.