PDA

View Full Version : I have a BlackBerry now

skywalker
2008-12-06, 03:43 AM
After months of saving up my 2-year upgrade, I finally got what I'd been waiting for: a new BlackBerry Storm.

And I have to say, it is quite a nice phone.

EDIT: And now I'm editing my post from said BlackBerry, primarily because I can. I'm really sorry to brag, but I'm hopped up about my new method of communication!

Crispy Dave
2008-12-06, 03:04 PM
blackberry's are for the weak(sorry I got to do it to every thread titled like this)

RTGoodman
2008-12-06, 03:06 PM
One of my (rich) best friends just got one of those, and I'm really not that impressed with it. I mean, maybe it's because I only played with it for about 5 minutes, but I couldn't realy figure out how to do anything on it, and it doesn't look like something I'd carry around all the time. (I'm REALLY not THAT important. :smalltongue:)

Syka
2008-12-06, 03:10 PM
One of my friends has one of those touch screen phones (not the Storm, I think it's the LG Dare) and, even though the feedback when you pressed the keyboard was cool, I still didn't like having to look to make sure I was at the right key. I type by feel at this point.

It's cool though. :) Depending on who my dad switches to, I'm thinking about getting the Samsung Propel (AT&T) or the enV (Verizon). I would have gotten a Rumor last week, since they were on sale at Best Buy for 20 bucks, but that's when I found out we're liking changing plans. :smallsigh:

Cheers~

reorith
2008-12-06, 03:10 PM
after months of saving up my pennies, i finally got what i'd been waiting for: a milsurp yugoslavian sks

and i have to say, it is quite a nice curio and relic firearm.

edit: and now i'm editing my post with said sks, primarily because i can. i'm really sorry to brag, but i'm hopped up about my newest addition to my family!

Crispy Dave
2008-12-06, 03:13 PM
after months of saving up my pennies, i finally got what i'd been waiting for: a milsurp yugoslavian sks

edit: and now i'm editing my post with said sks, primarily because i can. i'm really sorry to brag, but i'm hopped up about my newest addition to my family!

Ive had one of those for years I do 90% of my posting from it.

RTGoodman
2008-12-06, 03:16 PM

Wait, why would you tell us about that here? If my observations are correct, you're supposed to make a whole new thread whenever you get something new. :smallsigh:

skywalker
2008-12-06, 03:31 PM
One of my (rich) best friends just got one of those, and I'm really not that impressed with it. I mean, maybe it's because I only played with it for about 5 minutes, but I couldn't realy figure out how to do anything on it, and it doesn't look like something I'd carry around all the time. (I'm REALLY not THAT important. :smalltongue:)

I think I bought it because... I'm that important to myself. I think that's why. I found out 30 minutes after my OP that there's a new touch screen smartphone coming out for Verizon that cnet thinks is better than mine.

Is this karma? I don't know.

That's pretty clever. How much did you pay for it?

Ive had one of those for years I do 90% of my posting from it.

And that is pretty impressive right there. How do you connect it to the internet? Or type anything other than "!"s?

Crispy Dave
2008-12-06, 03:36 PM
And that is pretty impressive right there. How do you connect it to the internet? Or type anything other than "!"s?

I have it modded with a full keyboard

FdL
2008-12-06, 07:16 PM
Cool! Those blackberries look really neat.
So you can browse the net like anything with that, huh? And type.

I agree with Syka about touch screens. They're cool, but often too much of a gimmick. I mean, I don't think it's practical for most uses. But it's cutting edge in technology now, so it's to be expected that anything has one.

I don't think I'm such a tech fan lately anyway. I was thinking of maybe upgrading my old V3 to one of those V8 with touchscreen. But it's really too expensive for what I use a phone. Well, I'd use it to listen to mp3s too...But it's expensive for me.

reorith
2008-12-06, 08:45 PM
That's pretty clever. How much did you pay for it?
$250. in cash. in one dollar bills:smallbiggrin:

Jack Squat
2008-12-06, 09:33 PM
This thread reminds me, I've got to get a new phone this month or my upgrade deal goes out the window for another two years.

I don't want to upgrade, I like my incredibly crappy phone because it's bomb proof*. My battery just won't last that long. I'm afraid whatever new phone I get won't last...although I'm probably going to get this (http://www.zedge.net/phone-index/9-2259/lg/lg-ux-300/), it doesn't look too fragile.

*While it has yet to actually be put up against an explosive, I've dropped it several times from varying heights, sometimes with me behind it, and it's been runover by a palate jack carrying about 1 ton of ice. Yeah, I'm not too easy on my stuff.

reorith
2008-12-06, 09:36 PM
js, would it possible to get a new battery?

Jack Squat
2008-12-06, 09:45 PM
It would be, but the batteries cost between $10 and $30 online + shipping. It's $0.01 to get that phone during this month.

The phone itself (a motorola V262) has been discontinued in the US for some time.

I'll probably just keep this phone as a back-up for if my other one breaks...that way I can get rid of my spare parts phones as well.

skywalker
2008-12-06, 10:37 PM
Cool! Those blackberries look really neat.
So you can browse the net like anything with that, huh? And type.

I agree with Syka about touch screens. They're cool, but often too much of a gimmick. I mean, I don't think it's practical for most uses. But it's cutting edge in technology now, so it's to be expected that anything has one.

I don't think I'm such a tech fan lately anyway. I was thinking of maybe upgrading my old V3 to one of those V8 with touchscreen. But it's really too expensive for what I use a phone. Well, I'd use it to listen to mp3s too...But it's expensive for me.

That's why I got this phone. It's a PDA and a phone, and it browses the web, and it plays most of my music. Certainly wouldn't pay that much for just a phone. I also believe in the touch screen as an interface. I think it makes things much more intuitive and makes the screen multi-purpose. Like on this phone, I have more real-estate for pictures, etc, when I'm not doing something that requires a keyboard/number pad. I've also reached the point that while I can text by feel, most of the time I don't need to. And if I'm in a situation where I need to, I probably ought not be texting. I actually partially got the phone with the idea that it would stop me from texting while driving. As well, if I'm in class, I think I'm old enough now that I can simply man up to the fact that I'm not paying attention instead of doing it secretly.

$250. in cash. in one dollar bills:smallbiggrin:

Where do you live? That's rather cheap, IMO...

It would be, but the batteries cost between $10 and $30 online + shipping. It's $0.01 to get that phone during this month.

The phone itself (a motorola V262) has been discontinued in the US for some time.

I'll probably just keep this phone as a back-up for if my other one breaks...that way I can get rid of my spare parts phones as well.

My dad has the older version of the G'zOne. He got insurance on the phone as well, and nearly killed Verizon when it didn't function after he ran it over with a tractor. They eventually fixed it, tho.

Batteries are actually the reason I didn't just buy a new version of my old phone. I could have gotten the phone and the battery for a total of $100, or this brand new phone with twice the functionality for $200.

reorith
2008-12-06, 10:52 PM
the yugo sks is typically cheaper than the norinco and albanian models. also, md resident. where do you live?

Jack Squat
2008-12-06, 10:56 PM
the yugo sks is typically cheaper than the norinco and albanian models. also, md resident. where do you live?

Check the location.

I've heard a lot of reports about them being up closer to $350...don't have spare change, so I don't look around here for prices, I'd think it's about there though.

Volug
2008-12-06, 11:29 PM
I literally thought you were talking about a fruit or something...

What's a BlackBerry (other then just "a phone" I found out that much...)?

skywalker
2008-12-07, 02:20 AM

Is it as well made? Also, does it have the spring-loaded bayonet, and, if so, how cool is that thing? I've never seen one.

I literally thought you were talking about a fruit or something...

What's a BlackBerry (other then just "a phone" I found out that much...)?

Silly red mage, blackberries aren't in season... at least, not around here...

Anyway, a BlackBerry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry) is a specific brand of smartphone (which combines PDA and phone functionality, usually with a web browser these days, like an iPhone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone)) that is known for its tremendous messaging capabilities and its association with US government officials and business people. My specific model, the BlackBerry Storm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackberry_Storm), is the long anticipated touch-screen version, which is intended to compete directly with the iPhone.

Jack Squat
2008-12-07, 06:45 AM
Is it as well made? Also, does it have the spring-loaded bayonet, and, if so, how cool is that thing? I've never seen one.

yay...I can answer this.

Yugo sks are pretty well made, being comparable to the original russian ones. They're made with the grenade launcher bits, meaning that you can flip a lever and fire single shot only. The only problem with Yugos is they're not chromed...which really isn't a problem unless you plan on shooting a lot of corrosive surplus ammo through it and not cleaning it.

reorith
2008-12-07, 10:29 AM
what jack squat said. bayonet operations is sweet and functional. i purchased a spare from a website so i can put a decent edge on it while still having a period correct bayonet. my sks isn't so much a gas operated semiautomatic battle rifle, but instead, the largest pocket knife i own.